• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cornbread78 said:
Alright, I'll have to grind through the battle them

start with
SEN/SEN/SEN
then
MED/MED/MED
then
SYN/COM/SYN
then
RAV/COM/RAV
once it falls
SAB/SAB/SYN
then
RAV/RAV/RAV
then
COM/COM/COM

reset?

Is that about right?
Something like that; it's been a while so I can't entirely remember. Basically it's the same as your basic Adamantoise strategy, but with a whole lot more SEN/SEN/SEN involved. Also, get that Earth resistance way the hell up so you can weather the stomps reasonably well.

Facism

finally picked this up. Isn't as bad as some people make out. Got to the point where you meet Hope's father. When should i bother upgrading weapons? I'm pretty much 5 starring everything and not really having a problem with fights (bar Odin, but that was my own stupidity). Pretty easy game so far.

Cornbread78

Facism said:
finally picked this up. Isn't as bad as some people make out. Got to the point where you meet Hope's father. When should i bother upgrading weapons? I'm pretty much 5 starring everything and not really having a problem with fights (bar Odin, but that was my own stupidity). Pretty easy game so far.

No need to really upgrade weaopns until chp. 11 or so.

Also, quick question that I'll have to try out:

If I keep doing mission 62 over and over again, do you keep getting Genji gloves each time?

i'll be able to finish FF13 next week :D
if someone mentioned it already, my bad but it's gonna be on sale for $40 this sunday at best buy and theres a $20 off coupon in the gamers reward zone club/gamer magazine.
so FF13 for $20 :D great deal if you have been waiting for it to get it cheap

Cornbread78 said:
No need to really upgrade weaopns until chp. 11 or so.

Also, quick question that I'll have to try out:

If I keep doing mission 62 over and over again, do you keep getting Genji gloves each time?
No, but you can get a total of three Genji gloves by beating two other missions (can't remember which ones have that as an award, though).

Cornbread78

badcrumble said:
No, but you can get a total of three Genji gloves by beating two other missions (can't remember which ones have that as an award, though).

Yeah, I only have the last mission to 5 star, everything else is done, I was hoping for a quick fix to Trap hunting since I have still yet to get 1 of them, and I believe you need at least 8 to finish all the weapon upgrades..... I don;t have much left to do, but what I do have is so friggen tedious, it's pathetic...

Burli

Pringo
So some very LTTP thoughts.

I'm still undecided on how I feel about this game.

For instance - I still can't really figure out if I like or hate the characters, there's something about characters since FFIX that I haven't liked. They used to be humorous, charismatic or dorky (yes even in FFXIII). Maybe it's because of voice acting, I don't know - now they all just feel like bad anime characters (except maybe Sazh).

The battle system, also can't figure out if I like or dislike it. I'm one of those weird people that wishes all RPG's would become 'real-time' in a sense, along the lines of Demon's Souls/Final Fantasy XI/XII, Kingdom Hearts/Mass Effect. It seems like no matter how good an RPG, I can't enjoy it if it's turn-based any more, like Pokemon for instance, or DragonQuest.

This battle-system almost feels real-time, but it's technically not, and it also feels like I have to do very little to win battles. For the most part I just seem to be changing classes then choosing auto-battle - I hope later in the game this changes (Although I've already played for about 12 hours I think).

Aspects from FF that I used to love are always gone in these games. Customisable names, selectable parties, side-quests etc etc. It all feels very on-rails, less like I'm playing my own adventure, more like I'm interacting with a pre-set one, or a film - like metal gear solid - I don't think it's ever worked for me in an RPG game.

Snow

Picked this up a week or two after release, but only finally had some time to play in the past two weeks. I probably don't have anything new to add, but I just wanted to write down my thoughts somewhere.

Just reached chapter 11 and did the first five missions. Outside of the battlesystem, I'm not actually sure how good this section intrinsically is, but it feels like such a release after trudging through 25-30 hours of claustrophobic gameplay.

Mind you, I don't really mind linear gameplay. But I think the game is just a bit too in your face about the lack of sidepaths and choices you have in the first 10 chapters. Seeing the long corridors on the map drives home the lack of exploration too much. The crystarium is pretty much completely linear during this period, making character customization devoid of choice. And most of the battles outside of bossbattles don't require that much thought in this section.

I do like that when you're in a battle pretty much your only concern is killing the current enemies. I remember having these elaborate sets of moves in FFX when I was grinding before doing the final boss because I wanted every member to get at least one turn to get xp from each battle for everyone. Instead everyone gets cp in XIII regardless if they're part of a battle or if they're living at the end of it. You don't have any HP and MP concerns in between battles. It allows them to focus all of their complexity and challenge in the battle self, with the lack of death penalty making that whole experience completely streamlined.

But it feels like for the first 10 chapters it is mostly the story and characters that are supposed to provide the motivation to keep playing while you're being slowly taught the system. The storytelling is very character focused, which is a good thing. Except that the entire cast is pretty uncompelling. Sazh is ok and the only character whose dialogue sounds relatively natural. Snow and Lightning both never stray very far from their archetypes. Lighning is a stoic warrior... but she has a caring side... but she is still a stoic warrior. Snow is the blustering hero... but with a brief moment of doubt... but he is still the blustering hero. Hope's arc and acting actually feels believable, but the script opts to stretch his arc without giving much beyond several moments of him not having the courage to
confront Snow
until he does. Fang I haven't seen that much. Vanille is Jar Jar Binks for pedos.

That said, conforming to an archetype doesn't have to be a bad thing, if it is done well. It only becomes cliche if you can't sell it. And good lord does the dialogue grate. And everything is delivered with the same level of painful earnestness making the emotional flow of cutscenes into a complete monotone. It's the vuvuzela way of writing dialogue.

It's kind of sad since the world is kind of interesting, and is realized with a lot of obvious skill and artistry. But the thing that's supposed to make you actually care about it just falls flat. It's a bit of George Lucas syndrome, where the world building is interesting and the character arcs, while archetypical, could be interesting. But the actual meat and potatoes of a script, the dialogue and character interactions, just feel really awkward and unnatural.

PS; just for the record, my username does not have anything to do with the character of this game. My usual username (my real life first name) was taken when I registered on GAF, and I happened to be reading a A Song of Ice and Fire at the time.

gunstarhero

I to, am LLTP :D

I just got to Chapter 10 - where the game finally opens up into a more sandbox environment, and I'm calling it quits. :(

While I love the character/enemy design, and like the combat system (though it has some major faults for me), I just can't continue carrying on with a story I dont care about.

Normally if the story doesn't grab me, I can make do if the combat/experience/equipement systems are fun or deep. I like being able to decide what moves/spells I'm going to use, or what summons I want to use - but the paradigm system is instead built for speed, leaving you out of those decisions.

I KNOW you can play that way - but you REALLY can't once things get tough because the enemies don't wait. So you wind up getting killed while you were looking for your heal spell.

The weapon system IS deep - but it's also not fun. You don't really know wtf your doing with all those oozes and chips and whatever the fuck. It just feels overly complicated for know real reason.

The experience system seems pointless since you always max out your stats by the end of every chapter. And you gain all these skill that you never really use, or don't realize you're using because the combat takes you out f the decision process.

I DO love the characters - well, most of them. But not enough. And I would kill Hope dead if I saw him in an alley with nobody around.

Who knows, maybe I'll come back to it one day. I just picked up DQ9 and I'm already hooked. Can't say that happen for FF13. psorry.

gunstarhero said:
I to, am LLTP :D

I just got to Chapter 10 - where the game finally opens up into a more sandbox environment, and I'm calling it quits. :(

lol, wow, Chapter 6 and beyond was where the game took off for me. Paradigm Shifting is one of the best mechanics to hit the series and made every battle fast and fresh, the story was up there too.

gunstarhero

lol, wow, Chapter 6 and beyond was where the game took off for me. Paradigm Shifting is one of the best mechanics to hit the series and made every battle fast and fresh, the story was up there too.

Me to actually - i was loving the game after 5 or 6. But I think something just clicked in me and I started asking myself why am I doing this :)

I just got bored at 10 - like I said, maybe I just need to walk away for a bit. :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
10 is the worst chapter I believe. Gets better on 11.

But still, it's battle->battle->battle->beautiful cutscene->battle->battle->batle there, only more battles.

Cornbread78

gunstarhero said:
Me to actually - i was loving the game after 5 or 6. But I think something just clicked in me and I started asking myself why am I doing this :)

I just got bored at 10 - like I said, maybe I just need to walk away for a bit. :D

I've tyaken the week off to play inFamous, but I'll be right back at it Sunday, that was my break. The story is worth it to finish IMO, I'm almost done everything, but you've already gotten that far, your should see the rest through before you take an "extended" holiday from it.

ULTROS! said:

But still, it's battle->battle->battle->beautiful cutscene->battle->battle->batle there, only more battles.

Lent my copy of the game to a friend and he said the same exact thing you did about asking me when it would get better. He didn't like my response :lol

ULTROS! said:

I wouldnt put 10 as the worst chapter, lol, I thought those epic guardians in that chapter more than made up for a few of its low points.

Cornbread78

It's so funny but I still to this day can't figure out what I hated most about this game, I also can;t figure out wat I love most about this game. I just think the post game grind and the miserable attempt to obtain my first platinum trophy in the game I originally bought my PS3 for has clouded my feeling too much... Fu(k you traps! F U!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dedication Through Light said:
I wouldnt put 10 as the worst chapter, lol, I thought those epic guardians in that chapter more than made up for a few of its low points.
10 was quite lovely at points, though. The sense of scale in the environments was rather impressive and the designs were captivating. Despite their linearity, I much prefer these types of dungeons to the types you might find in stuff like Persona or something. They feel like places I want to experience rather than tedious mazes.

Neil

Finally started playing this game after a long hiatus.

Just defeated all missions, mission 64 wasn't that tough I thought. Just had to be quick on the ball as to when to switch to tortoise...

Only 2 more achievements to go (for 160 points) but I can't really be bothered to farm dark matter. Or 5* every mission. But I'm happy I gave it another go, the post game is quite enjoyable. Shame about the main game :/

Cornbread78

Neil said:
Finally started playing this game after a long hiatus.

Just defeated all missions, mission 64 wasn't that tough I thought. Just had to be quick on the ball as to when to switch to tortoise...
Only 2 more achievements to go (for 160 points) but I can't really be bothered to farm dark matter. Or 5* every mission. But I'm happy I gave it another go, the post game is quite enjoyable. Shame about the main game :/

you can say that again... 30mins into the battle.. BOOM, party whiped.... WTF? Damn....

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I just started this game on PS3, on Chapter 4 now.

WOW - This is a great game. I bought it using Best Buy coupons for $10... if I had known how much I would like this I would've gladly paid full price.

The visuals are amazing. The battle system is great. I feel like it's bringing you along at just the right pace. I've already been Game Over'ed a couple of times in normal encounters because I wasn't paying attention. I like games like this, and Persona 3/4, where just simply re-doing the battle over again with a different strategy changes the outcome. I felt like that was something really missing in previous FF games. Can't get past a spot? Just grind. This game is not like that at all, you really have to be on the ball and be aware of the battle. Great fun!

I also like the story. This is the first story that I've really enjoyed since IX. I like all the characters, I really like Lightning. It's great to see a genuinely STRONG female role for once in a video game. I'm surprised that concept of the game hasn't gotten more attention.

Okay so I have one question about the story thus far, Chapter 4-----:

The Sanctucm Fal'Cie are basically "summon monsters from FF Loire" who built Cocoon and manage the ecosystem of Cocoon. They're basically the GOOD Fal'Cie that everyone likes.

Pulse Fal'Cie are again "summon monsters FF Loire" who are bad because they're from Pulse and they want to destroy Cocoon for whatever reason.

... And so if you encounter a Pulse Fal'Cie they turn a human into one of their slaves and instruct them on a mission to destroy Cocoon.

Do I have that about right?

One more question: Are Ravengers essientially the mages of this game? I only see them attack with Magic, is that how they work, only with magic?

Adam Prime said:
Okay so I have one question about the story thus far, Chapter 4-----:

The Sanctucm Fal'Cie are basically "summon monsters from FF Loire" who built Cocoon and manage the ecosystem of Cocoon. They're basically the GOOD Fal'Cie that everyone likes.

Pulse Fal'Cie are again "summon monsters FF Loire" who are bad because they're from Pulse and they want to destroy Cocoon for whatever reason.

... And so if you encounter a Pulse Fal'Cie they turn a human into one of their slaves and instruct them on a mission to destroy Cocoon.

Do I have that about right?

I was under the impression that they just didnt take sides and were there to just support life in all those endeavours. I didnt even think they ever established "good" and "bad" in terms of the Fal'Cie, unless I followed the story wrong, lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was under the impression that they just didnt take sides and were there to just support life in all those endeavours. I didnt even think they ever established "good" and "bad" in terms of the Fal'Cie, unless I followed the story wrong, lol.

Okay, well then here is what I don't understand:

If there are Fal'Cie who are "supporting cocoon" by maintaining it's ecosystem and stuff - and at the same time Fal'Cie are understood by humans to be "enemies of cocoon" - why are certain Fal'Cie helping Cocoon survive? And why even built it in the first place?

Is there something I'm missing. It's like the Fal'Cie built and maintain Cocoon for human use, and the humans consider them enemies?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
brandonh83 said:
is it possible to not be able to get the trophy for having every weapon/accessory? can everything be purchased or made post-game?

No, it's a son of a bitch to get everything. It's not as simple as purchasing. But yeah it can all be obtained post game.

Adam Prime said:

If there are Fal'Cie who are "supporting cocoon" by maintaining it's ecosystem and stuff - and at the same time Fal'Cie are understood by humans to be "enemies of cocoon" - why are certain Fal'Cie helping Cocoon survive? And why even built it in the first place?

Is there something I'm missing. It's like the Fal'Cie built and maintain Cocoon for human use, and the humans consider them enemies?

Based on my memory, I think the Fal'Cie just provided support for humans to live in Cocoon while the Fal'Cie tended to their own business and left the humans to their own thing. I dont think the humans actually provided the Fal'Cie with anything at all since the Fal'Cie are just more powerful, lol. Somewhere it says they have to protect humans or something.

Zoe

Adam Prime said:

That can't be answered without spoiling the plot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Based on my memory, I think the Fal'Cie just provided support for humans to live in Cocoon while the Fal'Cie tended to their own business and left the humans to their own thing. I dont think the humans actually provided the Fal'Cie with anything at all since the Fal'Cie are just more powerful, lol. Somewhere it says they have to protect humans or something.

Right, I get that. What I don't understand is that if the Fal'Cie are the ones who provided humans with Cocoon and stuff, why do the humans fear them? ... Or do they?

Unless I'm understanding wrong, the thought is that if they come into contact with a Fal'Cie then they are cursed and the Fal'Cie are trying to invade Cocoon from Pulse. Do I have that wrong?

Adam Prime said:
No, it's a son of a bitch to get everything. It's not as simple as purchasing. But yeah it can all be obtained post game.

I just wish there was some way for the game to keep track of what you've had. I have tons of weapons and accessories but I still feel like it would be a complete bitch to finish off that trophy. It's just that I've did other challenging things like beating all the missions and it makes me want to go the whole nine yards and milk the game for all its worth, I just don't think I'll ever do some of the stuff like getting 5 stars on all the missions and so on. Just some ridiculous shit to go through.

Cornbread78

brandonh83 said:
I just wish there was some way for the game to keep track of what you've had. I have tons of weapons and accessories but I still feel like it would be a complete bitch to finish off that trophy. It's just that I've did other challenging things like beating all the missions and it makes me want to go the whole nine yards and milk the game for all its worth, I just don't think I'll ever do some of the stuff like getting 5 stars on all the missions and so on. Just some ridiculous shit to go through.

Good luck to you getting Traps.... I'm losing hope, quickly... Too many games backlogged and I've already spent well over 100 hours on this game trying.... WTF.

Cornbread78 said:
Good luck to you getting Traps.... I'm losing hope, quickly... Too many games backlogged and I've already spent well over 100 hours on this game trying.... WTF.

Yeah I already got the traps to get ultima weapons for all of my characters, but the idea of getting MORE traps just to get ALL the ultima weapons

fuck you S-E. not even worth the effort. :lol

brandonh83 said:

I just made an excel document, worked out what I already had and what I still needed, wrote down what catalysts I needed to upgrade all the weapons and accesories and bought them all, then saved up cash and started levelling them all up last night (pervoskite and scarletite being the most needed, both of which can be farmed in chapter 13 I found out later...)

As it stands now I need 12 more accesories and 13 more weapons (missing the ones from gilgameshes store and Sazh's dark matter weapon)

For traps I did 70 adams and didn't get one, the next night I put the game in and literally got 3 in a row, you will easily find enough by the time you have enough platinum ingots to upgrade all your gear.

Adam Prime said:
Right, I get that. What I don't understand is that if the Fal'Cie are the ones who provided humans with Cocoon and stuff, why do the humans fear them? ... Or do they?

Unless I'm understanding wrong, the thought is that if they come into contact with a Fal'Cie then they are cursed and the Fal'Cie are trying to invade Cocoon from Pulse. Do I have that wrong?

Well according to what the people believe in the game's world, yeah, you are correct. lol.

brandonh83 said:
:lol

sorry I know you were being serious but damn that is hardcore.

:D

Don't be sorry, I know its mega hardcore, the one game I always wanted to platinum since the trophy system came out was a final fantasy game so its why ive gone to odd measures lol.

There's a checklist online as well, i'll try and post it when I get home, as long as you didnt get rid of or miss the elemental rings you will be fine and always be able to get all of accessories/weapons.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Adam Prime said:
:lol Uhh okay, so the game clear's this up as the game goes on?

Not really, you'll need to read the codex to flesh things out. The game teases at the beginning that there is something deeper that connects the Fal'cie, L'Cie, Pulse and Cocoon than just the obvious story points. I mean surely there's more to it, but......
it never happens, what you see is what you get
. There's a reason many consider this the worst FF plot since VIII

Cornbread78

kyo_daikun said:
I just made an excel document, worked out what I already had and what I still needed, wrote down what catalysts I needed to upgrade all the weapons and accesories and bought them all, then saved up cash and started levelling them all up last night (pervoskite and scarletite being the most needed, both of which can be farmed in chapter 13 I found out later...)

As it stands now I need 12 more accesories and 13 more weapons (missing the ones from gilgameshes store and Sazh's dark matter weapon)

For traps I did 70 adams and didn't get one, the next night I put the game in and literally got 3 in a row, you will easily find enough by the time you have enough platinum ingots to upgrade all your gear.

This is me, I've 5 starred every mission except 64, everyone is leveled up, I need to re-beat
orphan
with a 5 star, which will be easy, and finish the trophy hunter.... I have all the base items, I purchased the others from the shops, now it's level-up time. I almost found it quicker to kill the smaller turtles, or just run around on a chocobo to pisk up treasure for money., now I just need Dark Matter and traps. Been a total waste of time for the most part, thus far.....

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
yeah I've been following the Datalog pretty well. I like reading all the backstory. I really like the plot and the setting of this game a lot.

From the reading (I'm playing right now, this isn't from memory!) the game describes "The Sanctum's fal'Cie", as if they are on the side of the Cocoon Government. These are the good Fal'Cie. Then the game also has an entry describing the Pulse Fal'Cie. In fact here it is word for word from the datalog:
Fal'Cie are an existence beyond human comprehension.... The ones responsible for Cocoon's construction are protectors of humanity, but there are others of their kind as well: the Fal'Cie who dwell on Pulse and name themselves enemies of Cocoon.

... So my understanding seems to be correct. There are TWO types of Fal'Cie - the good ones who built and protect Cocoon and the bad ones who live in Pulse and are the enemies. And these Fal'Cie beasts are basically the old summon monsters from previous FF games.

Okay, that makes sense to me. Nothing silly about any of that.

At some point I'll probably go back and grind out a bunch more Dark Matters so I can get a lot of Kaiser Knuckles and Wurtzite Bangles and whatnot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Well...lol, continue playing the game

:lol :lol :lol

Ughhh don't let me down XIII! I think this game has one of the strongest starts since... Final Fantasy VII and VIII? Disc 1 of both of those games were really good, they just fell apart at the end - mostly VIII. I like VII for what it was. IX started slow but I thought got great all the way through and had one of the best finishes.

X and XII - I'm not sure I was EVER hooked into their story from the start or at any point in the game.

Vrakanox

I'm one of the biggest Final Fantasy obsessed people I know. Not only that, I love almost all console style RPGs. Sadly, FFXIII never really grabbed me. I feel personally its biggest problem was the characters. I just couldn't get into any of them at all. I know its all subjective. Battle system was boring as well. The only things I really enjoyed were the graphics, and maybe the leveling system the crafting was also good. I also liked the way they did the summons. I also found the story overall to be very weak and hard to get into.

Vrakanox said:
I'm one of the biggest Final Fantasy obsessed people I know. Not only that, I love almost all console style RPGs. Sadly, FFXIII never really grabbed me. I feel personally its biggest problem was the characters. I just couldn't get into any of them at all. I know its all subjective. Battle system was boring as well. The only things I really enjoyed were the graphics, and maybe the leveling system the crafting was also good. I also liked the way they did the summons. I also found the story overall to be very weak and hard to get into.

!!!! lol, boring? how? It was better than FFXII letting the game play itself. I played 25 hours of that game, and every battle I made sure to have some book or magazine beside me lol, while I read it and let the game just play itself. There was nothing to it but gambit this gambit that, no player input. This, FFXIII revolutionize and was filled with excitement and speed.

Vrakanox said:

I liked the characters, its just the story didnt allow them to spread their wings as it were.

I just hate we have to rely on the AI to be 2/3's of our party, I want control over all my characters so when I die I know its my fault not just the AI was being bent.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Vrakanox said:

:lol Hilarious.

I feel a complete 180 of how you feel about the game. XIII is the first FF game to grab me since IX. In this game I like the characters, the story, the setting, and the battle system is by far my favorite system in ANY RPG I've played. I can't think of one that I enjoy better than this one. It's excellent.

Different strokes for different folks indeed!

Let me guess: you LOVE Final Fantasy X and XII didn't you?! I HATED THEM!

Vrakanox

!!!! lol, boring? how? It was better than FFXII letting the game play itself. I played 25 hours of that game, and every battle I made sure to have some book or magazine beside me lol, while I read it and let the game just play itself. There was nothing to it but gambit this gambit that, no player input. This, FFXIII revolutionize and was filled with excitement and speed.

Yeah in comparison to FFXII's gambit system it wasn't quite so bad. It also depended on the battles. I felt there were way too many where I was doing nothing but RAV COM RAV and just waiting for the monster to die. I never even had to switch over to healing.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
kyo_daikun said:
I just hate we have to rely on the AI to be 2/3's of our party, I want control over all my characters so when I die I know its my fault not just the AI was being bent.

:lol In this game you want control over your whole party? The battles are INTENSE AND FAST. If you had to inputs your other party member's action during a battle you'd be dead so damn fast because there's no way you could keep up. Hell it's tough to keep up just playing as one character!

Reason why I think XIII is the best system, it combines the two best FF systems:

FFX: Had the best "in-battle" strategy
FFXII: Had the best "pre-battle" strategy

XIII puts those two together and forces you to be ready for the next battle in the menu before the battle, and then combines X's quick on your feet thinking during the actual battle. I don't think there's anything better. Persona 3/4 did this really well... but this just better because of how fast and intense each battle is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom