• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How many missions are really necessary in Chapter 11? Honestly, it's not my favorite part at all and I'm ready to get back to the main story line. The world is quite large, but the game loses its focus (har har) in this chapter and turns into a Monster Hunter type of experience instead.

It's a shame they couldn't integrate larger areas like this into the flow of the main game. Running around doing side missions just isn't that interesting.

Also, I found it odd that the production values dropped on incidental cutscenes during this chapter. Throughout the rest of the game, even the smallest scenes are well produced and animated. The shorter scenes in Chapter 11, though? They all animate more like something from Final Fantasy X. Blank expressions, stiff movements, etc. It seems like they just chained together some canned animations and called it a day. Very odd.

dark10x said:
How many missions are really necessary in Chapter 11? Honestly, it's not my favorite part at all and I'm ready to get back to the main story line. The world is quite large, but the game loses its focus (har har) in this chapter and turns into a Monster Hunter type of experience instead.

It's a shame they couldn't integrate larger areas like this into the flow of the main game. Running around doing side missions just isn't that interesting.

The only necessary missions are the ones you get initially upon entering there (restoring those waystones), and then the ones in the tower. Those were all that I did in Chapter 11.

I spent most of the time in the chapter CP farming anyway; it was madly addicting to do in the mines, lol.

BluWacky

dark10x said:

You can just do the missions along the way to the next story areas - so if you just follow the arrow and do missions that are on your path you should be fine. I did the first 11 or 12 missions I think before moving on.

Cornbread78 said:
Mark Mission #64... any ideas? I'm totally frustrated at this point.... Are there any accesories that I can equipt to help?

3 Royal/ imperial armlets * on each character
Gold watch (Optional only if your going for 5 stars)
Sylphid ring * (The top ranked wind resistance ring on each character)

Make sure to have a 3 sentinel paradigm for wicked whirl, keep poison on him at all times and imperil as well if possible, debuff him whenever he comes out of his shell thing.

If going for 5 stars equip low weapons on all your characters, I had all ultimate weapons on and couldnt get 5 stars for the life of me.

Yeah you have to literally switch to your SEN/SEN/SEN THE SECOND you see it use Wicked Whirl. Hell, when I beat the thing, I would try to guess when it's about to use it and go ahead with the paradigm :lol

Also, keep it poisoned and debuffed. It's an extremely fast paced battle, but can be done if you stay on your toes. If not, you have no chance. I had Vanille as leader and had her set up to mainly keep my party healed while Lightning and Fang wailed on the enemy. I found that this is the best way to do it, because I'm not as good as some people are at the game and it worked for me.

Still really really wish Squeenix would do an International version of this. The story's beyond saving, but the combat (in the last bit of the game) is solid, I just wish there were more to DO with it. New game+, more equipment, more enemies, better ways to get money in the late game, whatever. DLC would be ideal, but no way will they do that in Japan since the used game market got flooded with copies of FFXIII like five days after it came out. MAYBE, MAYBE, I could see Square-Enix doing a disc-only International version in Japan and giving DLC a try in the US. But I doubt it.

The game feels so incomplete, and it's really the first FF I can say that about*, even if all of them have flaws that are worth discussing.

*though certainly FFXII feels like it's missing stuff with regard to the story, there's still a ton of sidequest material. FFVIII feels like a bunch of the story is missing too, since a lot of the scenario is cobbled together from stuff that didn't make it into FFVII (sorceress/knight, the character of Edea, etc) but the game itself and the amount of side material is still quite solid.

badcrumble said:
Still really really wish Squeenix would do an International version of this. The story's beyond saving, but the combat (in the last bit of the game) is solid, I just wish there were more to DO with it. New game+, more equipment, more enemies, better ways to get money in the late game, whatever. DLC would be ideal, but no way will they do that in Japan since the used game market got flooded with copies of FFXIII like five days after it came out. MAYBE, MAYBE, I could see Square-Enix doing a disc-only International version in Japan and giving DLC a try in the US. But I doubt it.

I dont know, Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope International is spoiling me with all that it offers that FFXIII didnt lol, even the story is pulling my emotional strings.

Regardless, the only thing I would they add to FFXIII is that cutscene theater and a battle coliseum would have been nice just so we can rebattle enemies and such.

brandonh83 said:
Yeah you have to literally switch to your SEN/SEN/SEN THE SECOND you see it use Wicked Whirl. Hell, when I beat the thing, I would try to guess when it's about to use it and go ahead with the paradigm :lol

Also, keep it poisoned and debuffed. It's an extremely fast paced battle, but can be done if you stay on your toes. If not, you have no chance. I had Vanille as leader and had her set up to mainly keep my party healed while Lightning and Fang wailed on the enemy. I found that this is the best way to do it, because I'm not as good as some people are at the game and it worked for me.

Hey I said all of that! :lol

The only other thing I can suggest is use renew straight after you get whirled so you can switch back to dealing damage rather than sitting there trying to heal all your characters back up.

Edit: still debating whether to get star ocean 4, I loved FF and have platinumed it now but I still have a hunger for more RPG goodness.

Cornbread78

kyo_daikun said:
Hey I said all of that! :lol

The only other thing I can suggest is use renew straight after you get whirled so you can switch back to dealing damage rather than sitting there trying to heal all your characters back up.

Edit: still debating whether to get star ocean 4, I loved FF and have platinumed it now but I still have a hunger for more RPG goodness.

Oh, $hit, I didn't think to use renew. That's when I've been dying, is when I'm trying to heal up after switching out of SEN/SEN/SEN to MED/MED/MED, he uses the other wind move and it ends up killing everyone at that point. Totally aggrivating, I almost threw the controller against the wall abotu 10 times yesterday.

Cornbread78 said:
Oh, $hit, I didn't think to use renew. That's when I've been dying, is when I'm trying to heal up after switching out of SEN/SEN/SEN to MED/MED/MED, he uses the other wind move and it ends up killing everyone at that point. Totally aggrivating, I almost threw the controller against the wall abotu 10 times yesterday.

It saved my arse when I was trying to beat him, my leader was on 500 health after one of the whirls.

If you need to use more renews fully upgrade the doctors codes and dismantle them for elixirs.

Minamu

I'm the worst member of VDF :S I forgot Vanille's name even though I've played the game for over 100 hours :lol Talk about making a lasting impression. I don't think I've ever forgotten a character's name like that before :(

Cornbread78

Alright, so I FINALLY dropped Mark Mission#64 using Light/Van/Fang. I literally had less than 500 HP on Lightning when the boss died. It was that close! I also got a 5 star rating, not sure how, but I'l damn happy, I'll never have to fight that punk again!

I got 3 trophies for teh battle (2 silver and 1 gold) which made it worth it in the end. I only have two trophies left to get now, and TRAPs are going to be driving me crazy until I can get a few of them!

Minamu said:
I'm the worst member of VDF :S I forgot Vanille's name even though I've played the game for over 100 hours :lol Talk about making a lasting impression. I don't think I've ever forgotten a character's name like that before :(

I can never forget her, random moans and screams during fights; though she has awesome cosplayers!

Moobabe

I'm about ready to restart my love hate relationship with 13. I'm on chapter 11 and am pretty lost; is there a "best" party I can be using from this point onwards? Shall I just grind until I've maxed out that parties crystarium as much as I can?

Zoe

Moobabe said:
I'm about ready to restart my love hate relationship with 13. I'm on chapter 11 and am pretty lost; is there a "best" party I can be using from this point onwards? Shall I just grind until I've maxed out that parties crystarium as much as I can?

Hope/Lightning/Fang

Just get their base roles, don't worry about the others. And you should still fill out the other character's roles because the CP does cap at 999,999.

Moobabe

Zoe said:
Hope/Lightning/Fang

Just get their base roles, don't worry about the others. And you should still fill out the other character's roles because the CP does cap at 999,999.

Does that order suggest I should make Hope my party leader?

Moobabe said:
Does that order suggest I should make Hope my party leader?

I personally went with Lightning/Fang/Hope in that order for the majority of the time. Once you get Fang's Sentinel abilities up, the Delta Attack paradigm (COM/SEN/RAV) is awesome against a lot of the stronger enemies you'll face later in the game. Combine it with Combat Clinic (MED/SEN/MED) for quick and easy healing.

Moobabe

Cornbread78 said:
I used the same line-up, but with Lightning as my party leader, so I could use "Army of One"

What's that? Also I can't seem to get into any rhythm so far in combat in chapter 11 - everything does so much damage I'm constantly switching to more defensive paradigms to keep myself alive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It really depends on the situation though. Her RAV ability can be more powerful than Fang's COM ability if you need to build the chain as quick as possible, so it's worth controlling her in those situations.

Moobabe said:
What's that? Also I can't seem to get into any rhythm so far in combat in chapter 11 - everything does so much damage I'm constantly switching to more defensive paradigms to keep myself alive.

I maximized the Crystarium for the main roles of my three most used characters in that chapter. It worked wonders.

There's also her ridiculous speed if you have the axis blade and all the necessary equipment to make the gauge build faster. I can't remember what that equipment is though.

Cornbread78

Moobabe said:

I'm not sure where exactly it is unlocked (level-wise) on the cryo, but it's an ability on Lightning's menu that really helps build the Stagger Chain quickly. I used it quite a bit one it was unlocked.

Moobabe said:

I haven't played in a while but maybe you're not leveled as you should be?

And are you honestly upset that it's not like chapter 1-## where all you had to do was press auto attack?

Cornbread78

cosmicblizzard said:
There's also her ridiculous speed if you have the axis blade and all the necessary equipment to make the gauge build faster. I can't remember what that equipment is though.

Hermes Sandles, Whistlewind scarf and Speed Sash = 20% boost or more on the ATP guage.

Moobabe

demosthenes said:
I haven't played in a while but maybe you're not leveled as you should be?

And are you honestly upset that it's not like chapter 1-## where all you had to do was press auto attack?

Not at all. I certainly appreciate the challenge - i was just curious to see if I was doing something wrong.

Cornbread78

Question, does anyone remember what page the link was on for the "Treasure Hunter" Trophy outline of all the weapons, their upgrades and the catalyst requirements? I have the Piggyback guide but I don't want to mark it all up and copying it is next to impossible. Only "Adament Will" and Treasure Hunter left to go.
I'll buy a few Elixers to finish "Adament Will" quickly, but the treasure hunter is a pain.... damn traps!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So I just got to Chapter 10, when you have free roam on the Crystarium.

Should I start building up other classes with Characters at Lv 0 - or should I just ignore those other roles and just continue to build up their three "main" classes?

Pooya

Adam Prime said:

Should I start building up other classes with Characters at Lv 0 - or should I just ignore those other roles and just continue to build up their three "main" classes?
Stick to the main roles, leave other roles for chapter 11, you can grind easily there but it's not really required, you can beat the game without investing much in secondary roles.

Adam Prime said:

Focus only on the three main highlighted roles. Maximize that crysterium if you find the CP farming spot, it shouldnt take too long.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I almost maxed out all my characters crystals, I still can't defeat adamantoise without summoning and spaming death.
here's my curent character stats:
Fang: HP 22000 STR 2200 MAG 1600
Light: HP 19000 STR 1900 MAG 1900
Vanille: HP 20000 STR 1500 MAG 1900
All characters are equiped intermediate weapon at star level and spirit shoes.
Fang has genji gloves.

What am I doing wrong here?

Jex

Just grabbed this second hand from GAME, but they accidentally gave me a new copy. I'm not one to complain!

I recently finished the first disc, really enjoying it so far.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
VALKYRAY said:
I almost maxed out all my characters crystals, I still can't defeat adamantoise without summoning and spaming death.
Fang has genji gloves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpv9-roLxs4

That's the best way to do it without using a summon.

Chris R

VALKYRAY said:
Fang has genji gloves.

Here is what I did to start killing them with Fang as the leader (same exact party)

Syn/Syn/Med -> buff up
Rav/Rav/Med -> Stagger legs
Com/Med/Med -> Highwind legs
Syn/Sab/Sab -> After legs are down, rebuff while Vanille and Lightning start to stack debuffs
Rav/Rav/Rav -> build up to 850%+
Com/Com/Com -> regular attacks to kill it

Once you get the method down you can start to include less and less healing to increase the kill time. Then you kill everything between the turtle and the door (assuming you are doing it in
Eden
) and farm away.

VALKYRAY

Banned
rhfb said:
Here is what I did to start killing them with Fang as the leader (same exact party)

Syn/Syn/Med -> buff up
Rav/Rav/Med -> Stagger legs
Com/Med/Med -> Highwind legs
Syn/Sab/Sab -> After legs are down, rebuff while Vanille and Lightning start to stack debuffs
Rav/Rav/Rav -> build up to 850%+
Com/Com/Com -> regular attacks to kill it

Once you get the method down you can start to include less and less healing to increase the kill time. Then you kill everything between the turtle and the door (assuming you are doing it in
Eden
) and farm away.
thanks i will give it a try.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
VALKYRAY said:
another question, does comando deal more damage than savager while enemy is staggered?

Depends on the enemy really. Some robot type enemies are really weak to magic, where I found that the behemoth type monsters were more susceptable to physical.

Chris R

truly101 said:
Depends on the enemy really. Some robot type enemies are really weak to magic, where I found that the behemoth type monsters were more susceptable to physical.
Exactly. It depends.

If the enemy is weak to magic, use magic. If they are normal aka weak to nothing, then depends on the character (more str = higher physical damage)

Stacking commandos increases the damage though because each commando has an ability to increase the damage of the other party members as well as a boost to their own damage (assuming role level 5 for everything that is).

VALKYRAY

Banned
miladesn said:
^ hey, that's my avatar >_< .
i know, you are too beautiful <3
truly101 said:
rhfb said:
Exactly. It depends.

If the enemy is weak to magic, use magic. If they are normal aka weak to nothing, then depends on the character (more str = higher physical damage)

Stacking commandos increases the damage though because each commando has an ability to increase the damage of the other party members as well as a boost to their own damage (assuming role level 5 for everything that is).
THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom