• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been blasting through my replay and nearing the end of Ch.11 now. Seeking out absolutely no extra fights/levels along the way has made this chapter very nicely challenging at times. Have settled into a solid groove with my usual preferred characters Snow (lead)/Vanille/Lightning.

Can someone give me some advice.

I'm on chapter 11. I've done 8 of the "missions".

My question is: when can I move on with the story? I don't want to grind forever. What cyrstarium level should I be at for my characters before moving on with the story. Do I have to max everyone at level 4 in all their 3 main roles?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
criesofthepast said:

My question is: when can I move on with the story? I don't want to grind forever. What cyrstarium level should I be at for my characters before moving on with the story. Do I have to max everyone at level 4 in all their 3 main roles?

You can move on actually, the missions are purely optional. Although I did only until the 11th, I resumed them after beating the game.

ULTROS! said:
You can move on actually, the missions are purely optional. Although I did only until the 11th, I resumed them after beating the game.
I know they are optional I'm just afraid without doing a good amount and leveling up that I will run into a wall in the final 2 chapters.

So I guess I'll be okay to move on now? I'm level 3 with everyones main skills and level 4 of 1 of each of their main skills. I haven't level 4'd everyones main skills. That would take a while.

criesofthepast said:

You only had to do the quests in the tower to move on. I finished the game with that number of quests done, lol.

Anyway, I maximized my crysterium, three main roles for my 3 main characters in chapter 11 since there was an awesome spot to do that (the mines).

teiresias

Geez, I've put 30 hours into this game and I'm about to freaking hurl it across the room out of boredom. I'm in Chapter 10 and this damn ark goes on and on and on and on and on and on, it's the most visually boring corridor I've ever been forced to run through in my life . . . I've basically been playing it all evening and finally get "out" only to be thrown into one of those stupid Ediolon battles for Bahamut.

Oh, but wait, I didn't have Fang in the party I was actively using before, so suddenly I have a new party with unknown Paradigms in unknown order and get my ass handed to me, because I have no idea how the paradigms are arranged in the menu, not to mention I need to Libra Bahamut to figure out what the hell to do for the battle. F#$k this game.

I actually like the combat system, almost love it as a matter of fact, I just wish it were in a more interesting game.

How much more is there of Chapter 10, so I know how much more of this bullshit I have to endure before the game allegedly gets interesting in some way other than the combat?

teiresias said:
Geez, I've put 30 hours into this game and I'm about to freaking hurl it across the room out of boredom. I'm in Chapter 10 and this damn ark goes on and on and on and on and on and on, it's the most visually boring corridor I've ever been forced to run through in my life . . . I've basically been playing it all evening and finally get "out" only to be thrown into one of those stupid Ediolon battles for Bahamut.

Oh, but wait, I didn't have Fang in the party I was actively using before, so suddenly I have a new party with unknown Paradigms in unknown order and get my ass handed to me. F#$k this game.

I actually like the combat system, almost love it as a matter of fact, I just wish it were in a more interesting game.

How much more is there of Chapter 10, so I know how much more of this bullshit I have to endure before the game allegedly gets interesting in some way other than the combat?

You're at the end of the chapter

teiresias said:

I thought chapter 10 lasted a maximum of (well if you didnt grind), 3 or so hours. I had stayed for along time because I maxed the Crysterium out at that point before facing the boss at the chapters end.

teiresias

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought chapter 10 lasted a maximum of (well if you didnt grind), 3 or so hours. I had stayed for along time because I maxed the Crysterium out at that point before facing the boss at the chapters end.

Damn, given the CP cost for stuff above level-3 in the Crystarium that's a whole lot of CP! I can't imagine a more boring place to grind. I'm assuming you only maxed out the default roles by grinding there and not every single role since it's opened at that point.

teiresias said:
Damn, given the CP cost for stuff above level-3 in the Crystarium that's a whole lot of CP! I can't imagine a more boring place to grind. I'm assuming you only maxed out the default roles by grinding there and not every single role since it's opened at that point.

In chapter 10 there was that corner spot that had like 8 or so of those slug things. It didnt take a terrible long amount of time. Yeah but just their main roles for the three characters I used the most (light, hope, fang)

I've maxed everyones 6 roles (main and secondary) and I've just finished the tower chapter 11.

I grinder the shit out of the mines and tower today. I've also max leveled everyones weapons. I read the final boss has something like 6 million HP so I wanted to be ready.

I'm starting to burn out. I want to finish the story. Dick around on the missions for a day and then never touch this game again. Well, at least for a few months.

criesofthepast said:
I've maxed everyones 6 roles (main and secondary) and I've just finished the tower chapter 11.

I grinder the shit out of the mines and tower today. I've also max leveled everyones weapons. I read the final boss has something like 6 million HP so I wanted to be ready.

I'm starting to burn out. I want to finish the story. Dick around on the missions for a day and then never touch this game again. Well, at least for a few months.

Well the final boss still has an ace up his sleeve that no matter what your hp is, you can still lose, lol, which made me angry at that fight.

Why do missions when youre already maxed out, just race to the end.

criesofthepast said:

Final boss is really easy im afraid to say, I 5 starred him first time, didnt even need level 10 of the crystarium.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just started Chapter 10... and I have a week of summer vacation left to finish the game. I'm 22 hours in, enough time to finish the game?

Adam Prime said:
I just started Chapter 10... and I have a week of summer vacation left to finish the game. I'm 22 hours in, enough time to finish the game?

I finished the game with 54 hours during my week of spring break in college. You have plenty of time. I didnt even do more than 3 of the missions in Chapter 11.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The game is beatable under 40 hours actually.

Cornbread78

Seda said:
gamefaqs.com isn't banned (or at the the FAQ regarding bannable sites/memes doesn't mention it) . I know many think the forums are total LOL (and a lot of them are), but it's still the best place to go for specific help with any game in my opinion.

I mean at my job, they block out most "Gaming" sites from being seen, like IGN, Game Spot, etc. Same for U-Tube, Facebook and other social sites!

BTW, I have only the two trophies left "Adament Will" and "Trophy Hunter" I downloaded all teh trophy hunter checklist from the link you posted and found those really usefull, I still have a lot of stupid thing to level up and without getting Traps as drops, it's gonna cost me about 6mil gill to do it... AARRGGHHHH!

Anyhow, I've tried everything to beat the Long Gui and it's just not working! What gives? Last tiem around I went in used a summon, twice, used renew twice, used two elixers, and still couldn't get his health down far enough. he finally used DOOM (1800) and I was dead before that ran out! Once I'm done that I can dismantle my two remaining Genji gloves and get two more traps, but damn!

I'm using

Light/Fang/Hope,

Start with SEN/SEN/SEN
then to SAB/SAB/SAB (poisen, etc...)
then RAV/RAV/RAV
then COM/COM/COM
breaks of MED/MED/MED

then repeat.....

What am I doing wrong?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So just started Ch.11 - is there really any benefit to doing the missions now instead of doing them after finishing game? Obviously I will be a bit more leveled up for the final chapters... but aside from that if you're planning on going through all those missions and grinding CP is it just as well to wait until after you finish the game?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
teiresias said:

You'll probaly commit suicide over Chapter 11. I actually had to put the game away for a whole month. Not only you have to endure combat, but you don't know where to go!

ULTROS! said:

Indeed, on my straight-through replay (watching most cutscenes as well) I had 35 hours on the last save point. But that left me retrying many times on the final
boss 2nd stage
. I was very determined to win working with only what I had, any other time it would make sense to simply spend that time building the team up instead.

JeFfRey said:
You'll probaly commit suicide over Chapter 11. I actually had to put the game away for a whole month. Not only you have to endure combat, but you don't know where to go!

If you check the map, it's not that hard to figure out where you need to go in Chapter 11, if you just want to blow through the chapter and not bother with the sidequests. It does usually involve looking at the bigger map (which can be extremely confusing until you figure out that it always rotates whenever you move).

Adam Prime said:
So just started Ch.11 - is there really any benefit to doing the missions now instead of doing them after finishing game? Obviously I will be a bit more leveled up for the final chapters... but aside from that if you're planning on going through all those missions and grinding CP is it just as well to wait until after you finish the game?

I would recommend doing 20 missions before continuing with the story objective. There are a few mandatory missions in CH 11 starting with mission 21-26 which need to be completed to continue with the story. I assume the game wants (but doesn't require) you to do missions 1 thru 20 before that point. Also, I don't think those missions would be as fun (challenging) to come back to and do after you beat the game.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Dedication Through Light said:
WEll the game is on sale on Amazon for both consoles for just 29.99 today.

And I gave in and bought it. I'll see it in 5-9 days.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
GrumpyAlien said:
I would recommend doing 20 missions before continuing with the story objective. There are a few mandatory missions in CH 11 starting with mission 21-26 which need to be completed to continue with the story. I assume the game wants (but doesn't require) you to do missions 1 thru 20 before that point. Also, I don't think those missions would be as fun (challenging) to come back to and do after you beat the game.

Hmm alrighty that doesn't sound too bad.

I don't mind spending a while doing some hunt quests... but I don't want to get "stuck" and spend hours grinding when I could just come back later and breeze through it.

Giolon

Adam Prime said:
Hmm alrighty that doesn't sound too bad.

I don't mind spending a while doing some hunt quests... but I don't want to get "stuck" and spend hours grinding when I could just come back later and breeze through it.

The game rewards you quite well for doing those missions early.

Chocobos for getting around faster and a teleportation network you'll be doubly glad to have at your fingertips once you get deep into Chapter 11 & for postgame

Additionally, they'll help make sure you're leveled up properly for the challenges to come.

There are actually some side-story/worldbuilding nuggets associated with these missions. Some of them are pretty depressing really.

Cels

ULTROS! said:

Yea, extremely doable, I wasn't even rushing, watched every cutscene, and beat the game in 35ish hours, platinumed at 55 hours.

Probably not going to play this game again for years though.

teiresias said:
Kind of felt the same way at Chapter 10. Pretty much hit the wall with Chapter 11, not looking forward to all the grinding/quests to do. Playing some other games in the meantime, hopefully a break from the game will get me more interested in it when I go back.

Cornbread78

Cels said:
Yea, extremely doable, I wasn't even rushing, watched every cutscene, and beat the game in 35ish hours, platinumed at 55 hours.

Probably not going to play this game again for years though.

Platinum in 55 hours? Seriously? All 64 mark missions and all upgrades done in 20 hours? I think I just hit 112 hours now, and still need a LOT more money to finish with all the item levels....

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Rwar sonofabitch I lost about 45 minutes of play because I forgot to save, then I hit 'Quit' instead of 'Retry' on a boss battle. Blagahz! I'm surprised this is only the first time that's happened to me since playing the game.

DonMigs85

I got the game back in March but took my sweet time and only beat the final boss last week. I've got 48% of the trophies and have no real interest in grindan or doing the rest of the missions for now.

Just finished the game now. Save file reads 52 hours 13 minutes.

What a shitty ending.

This game can now begin collecting dust for a few months (or years).

teiresias

Geez, glad to be in Chapter 11, but Gran Pulse is kicking my butt outside the small groups of Gorgonopsids. I feel very underleveled in the Crystarium at this point and don't even think I could make it to the next story event if I even tried.

Cornbread78

teiresias said:
Geez, glad to be in Chapter 11, but Gran Pulse is kicking my butt outside the small groups of Gorgonopsids. I feel very underleveled in the Crystarium at this point and don't even think I could make it to the next story event if I even tried.

I hear ya. From the first save point you encounter on Gran Pulse, follow the map to your left until you encounter three penguin looking creatures surrounding a treasure sphere. get a preemtive strike on them, use Quake and kill them for a quick 4k, if you do that a few time it realy helps get you in line. The respawn once you go back around the corner. With the preemptive strike, they are the easiest guys to kill at first. It they manage to get a summon off, just "retry" the battle and try again.

criesofthepast said:
Just finished the game now. Save file reads 52 hours 13 minutes.

What a shitty ending.

This game can now begin collecting dust for a few months (or years).

I can honestly say it was the worst ending for an FF game ever, the boss was dead before I even realised I was fighting it.

wazoo

30hours into it, somewhere in front a boss after all the team has joined together. I think I will stop for a while. Battle system is fast, but a bit of button mashing, and like (weaken - heal - attack - repeat). I really like FFX and FFXII, but this, I do not know if I will ever finish it.

Not having NPC and towns is the least of the problems of this game.

ULTROS!

The ending didn't look horrible at least, it was just very lacking.

The ending could have been better if they showed *spoilers*
Post-ending FMVs ala FFVIII such as:
- Snow and Serah's Wedding
- Lightning doing military duties
- Sazh and Dahj bonding with each other
- Hope reuniting with his father
- Team NORA doing something

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ULTROS! said:

Absolutely. Except
Lightning shouldn't be doing military duties, she should've been in a dress at Snow/Sarahs wedding. That would've been KAWAAAAIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <3

Cornbread78

ULTROS! said:

That goes back to what we were discussing here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402255

An XIII-2 would work perfectly if it included, all of that...

Yoshichan said:
Absolutely. Except
Lightning shouldn't be doing military duties, she should've been in a dress at Snow/Sarahs wedding. That would've been KAWAAAAIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii <3

Oh YES! That would be Epic.

jgwhiteus

teiresias said:
Yeah, I've been doing Chapter 11 for a while, and it seems like the difficulty level really ramped up for no reason (and the Crystarium bonuses became much more expensive, although monsters hand out more CP now). I hadn't upgraded my weapons and accessories at all beforehand and didn't run into any problems, then decided to upgrade them all at once because I kept on dying (which is rare for a FF game, although it might be because of the stupid "leader dies, game over" mechanic - really? Why can't my support Medic just Raise me?). The Missions basically seem like an excuse to grind to get decent stats, although I'm close to maxing out some of my characters in their three main roles, so I'm hoping a story event will open up another level soon.

I have to say, I thought Chapter 11 was when the game was supposed to "open up" and stop being linear, but...the Missions seem just like the monster hunts from FFXII (which I ignored). I mean, monster hunts are all well and good, but I can play Monster Hunter Tri for that. I haven't seen anything akin to a "sidequest" which would break up the linearity of the plot. Not that I can make much sense of the plot anyway
why exactly did everyone decide to randomly wander around Gran Pulse again?

Also, I find it weird when I'll read intricate plot details in the loading screen that were in no way presented in the actual game / cutscenes. Am I supposed to be getting this stuff from the Datalog? It may explain why some of the cutscenes haven't been making much sense and why I don't understand why the characters are doing what they're doing half the time
I STILL don't get why Eidolons show up, how Vanille and Fang played a part in getting Sazh's son and Serah turned into l'Cie, etc. Don't even get me started on the big "REVEAL" at the end of Ch. 10.

Combat's still fun, but...let's go with a different designer and script writer for the next one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just finished Chapter 11 and am starting Chapter 12. Took a long break from the game inbetween and I'm seriously confused as fuck. Without spoiling anything further can someone clarify:

If they kill Orphan, what happens? If they don't kill Orphan, what happens?

Aurarian

Hey guys. A few questions for you all.

1.) I just got to Chapter 11 and I'm basically underleveled from what it seems. I was leveling alternate roles and none of the characters have their so called main roles at level four. The team I use is Lightning/Fang/Hope and switch between Delta Attack/Combat Clinic for the most part. What I want to ask is that should I start over and focus on the main roles? I'm getting my ass beat hard even though I've pretty much fought most(meaning like 90%) of the enemies till now.

2.) What's up with upgrading weapons and accessories? For example, I've been upgrading my weapons with the characters, usually either the second weapon that appears or the default weapon they came with. They're only at 7-11 at most. Components that are actually useful for leveling them are far and few in between from my experience and money is also difficult to acquire. Maybe I just don't know what to sell.

I'm so lost right now and it's making my determination to play this game wane.

Aurarian said:

1.) I just got to Chapter 11 and I'm basically underleveled from what it seems. I was leveling alternate roles and none of the characters have their so called main roles at level four. The team I use is Lightning/Fang/Hope and switch between Delta Attack/Combat Clinic for the most part. What I want to ask is that should I start over and focus on the main roles? I'm getting my ass beat hard even though I've pretty much fought most(meaning like 90%) of the enemies till now.

I would recommend focusing on their main roles before putting points into the other 3. You don't need to start over (especially since CP is so easy to come by in Chapter 11), but I would say from here on out you may want to focus on the main roles and then put points in the other roles once the main 3 are maxed out for the current level.

2.) What's up with upgrading weapons and accessories? For example, I've been upgrading my weapons with the characters, usually either the second weapon that appears or the default weapon they came with. They're only at 7-11 at most. Components that are actually useful for leveling them are far and few in between from my experience and money is also difficult to acquire. Maybe I just don't know what to sell.

Farming for good components is pretty easy in Chapter 11. You can get the natural drops all over the place, and there is a very good place in Chapter 11 to get mechanical parts as well. There are a lot of treasure chests with either gil or items that can be sold for a large amount, as well. Just make sure not to waste the good components on things with less than a 3x multiplier.

enzo_gt said:
Just finished Chapter 11 and am starting Chapter 12. Took a long break from the game inbetween and I'm seriously confused as fuck. Without spoiling anything further can someone clarify:

If they kill Orphan, what happens? If they don't kill Orphan, what happens?

If Orphan dies there is nothing supplying power to Cocoon and it falls out of the sky. If it doesn't then everything is peachy, kinda.

jgwhiteus

Aurarian said:

This is all normal, from what I can tell. Difficulty spikes in Ch. 11, which will force you to grind for a bit for CP (you can also do the easier Missions in the meantime). I'd focus on the three main roles for now, focusing on things like getting an extra accessory slot, etc.

I also ignored upgrading weapons and accessories until Ch. 11. I had to read a guide to understand how it worked - basically, "organic" components help increase the experience multiplier (from 1 to 1.25, 1.5, 1.75, 2 and 3), and "mechanical" components give you big experience gains, but reduce the multiplier. So use "organic" stuff to build the multiplier up to 3, then use a whole bunch of "mechanical" components at once to get a big experience boost (which sets back the multiplier). Once you max out the first tier of a weapon - I think usually lv. 21 - you need a special catalyst component (usually ends with "ite" - scarletite, uraninite, etc.) to transform it into the next tier weapon; the component you need is different for each weapon. Some you'll run across naturally, some you'll have to buy. The same applies for accessories, though they usually don't have as many levels before they max out (e.g. some max out at level 2).

Money's definitely hard to come by, though doing some missions can help. I ended up selling accessories and weapons I didn't need. I hear later in the chapter there's a quest that gains you a significant amount of money. Don't forget to sell premium components (credit chips, etc.) which aren't useful for upgrading and are solely meant to help you earn money.

Aurarian

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I would recommend focusing on their main roles before putting points into the other 3. You don't need to start over (especially since CP is so easy to come by in Chapter 11), but I would say from here on out you may want to focus on the main roles and then put points in the other roles once the main 3 are maxed out for the current level.
OK, so for my example what would be those three roles? I'm guessing for Lightning, it would be Commando?

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Farming for good components is pretty easy in Chapter 11. You can get the natural drops all over the place, and there is a very good place in Chapter 11 to get mechanical parts as well. There are a lot of treasure chests with either gil or items that can be sold for a large amount, as well. Just make sure not to waste the good components on things with less than a 3x multiplier.

I've done that quite a bit since I started the game, but I don't upgrade heavily cause the first part of the game doesn't give you much to upgrade with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom