• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parts of Eden look unbelievable...I can't figure out if the vistas are fully modelled or not, but this level is just on another plain visually...The design of the city is amazing... If Versus one ups this, its going to take the crown in console graphics... as it is, eden is up there with anything I have seen in U2 and GoW3...

RaGe_pt

I just got to chapter 11. I have a doubt, should I spend my time doing all those missions and upgrade my party (weapons and characters) or should I keep going and finish the main story?

Aurarian

RaGe_pt said:
I just got to chapter 11. I have a doubt, should I spend my time doing all those missions and upgrade my party (weapons and characters) or should I keep going and finish the main story?

To be honest with you, I went around and buffed my characters up till their main roles were at maximum. This made the rest of the game much easier, but then again I'm crazy. You can do the missions after you beat the game so there really isn't a need to do them now, either way you would be better equipped to do it after you finish.

RaGe_pt

Aurarian said:
To be honest with you, I went around and buffed my characters up till their main roles were at maximum. This made the rest of the game much easier, but then again I'm crazy. You can do the missions after you beat the game so there really isn't a need to do them now, either way you would be better equipped to do it after you finish.

Thanks man :D . I'll max their main roles too since I'm "crazy" too :lol

Aurarian

RaGe_pt said:
Thanks man :D . I'll max their main roles too since I'm "crazy" too :lol
If you look a few pages back there's an excellent tip from Adam. It's probably the easiest and the fastest way in Chapter 11 to get CP.

Ugh...what happened to the writing? Towards the end of chapter 11 everytime there was a cutscene I couldn't wait for it to be over. If you talk about doing it your own way one more time.....

Giolon

RaGe_pt said:

Completing Quests 1-18 as soon as you get to chapter 11 will save you quite a bit of time farming the rest of your xp a post game
chocobos and teleportation network
. Waiting until post game is kind of silly. You'll feet a decent amount of cp while doing them too.

That.... was a short Chapter 12. Now I'm already on the last chapter? Feels like there wasn't much of a journey here. Story-wise, I feel... a bit shortchanged. Ahaha haha..... *cries*

Oh well, off to find some side quests before the final fight.....if there ARE any....apart from the missions.

So... this game is fucking freezing on the first boss battle, and now i'm reading that this fucking piece of crap is killing PS3's. Can somebody tell me if there is a fix to this crap? can i play FFXIII? do i have to wait untill i get paid so i can sell my PS3 and get a new one? (i have a 40gb one, planning on getting a 120 slim)

Please help.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
carpediemdp said:
So... this game is fucking freezing on the first boss battle, and now i'm reading that this fucking piece of crap is killing PS3's. Can somebody tell me if there is a fix to this crap? can i play FFXIII? do i have to wait untill i get paid so i can sell my PS3 and get a new one? (i have a 40gb one, planning on getting a 120 slim)

Please help.

Try skipping the cutscenes.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I just got this in the mail from Gamefly this weekend and cracked it open tonight.

What the fuck?

I pressed forward and the A button for the first 3 hours of this game, and have basically no idea what the plot of the game is.

From what I can tell the game has finally hit a spot where the training wheels are going to come off and there is going to be an actual battle and progression system.. but FFS.. 3 hours of pushing the win button without really giving me any insight into the story other than some vaugue mentions of things that I don't understand..

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
StoOgE said:
So, I just got this in the mail from Gamefly this weekend and cracked it open tonight.

What the fuck?

I pressed forward and the A button for the first 3 hours of this game, and have basically no idea what the plot of the game is.

From what I can tell the game has finally hit a spot where the training wheels are going to come off and there is going to be an actual battle and progression system.. but FFS.. 3 hours of pushing the win button without really giving me any insight into the story other than some vaugue mentions of things that I don't understand..

The battle system is one of my favs of any RPG.

I don't know what the fuck happened in the story.

teiresias

StoOgE said:

What the fuck?

You've got about 30 hours to go before you have to make any decisions.

Enjoy!

StoOgE

teiresias said:
You've got about 30 hours to go before you have to make any decisions.

Enjoy!

Hrmm.. we'll see if I get that far, I was kind of hoping after the crystalsomethingarother power unlocking thing and the paradigm shift/magic system the game was going to open up a bit. This isn't my favorite genre in the world already.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I enjoyed this game quite a fair bit and finally beat it today and..

..what. the. fuck. just happened in the ending? Seriously I persevered through the half-explanations but this time there wasn't even a half-explanation for what I just witnessed. Can someone expain this nonsense?

And explain how I can go back and level in Chapter 11 and whatnot?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just got to the end of Chapter 11 and the boss fight there... any tips? I ran out of time/Death yesterday. Should I bother to Sentinel? Do I need to have a Syng buffing the entire time to survive those attacks which drain my health super low...?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You could try staggering the enemy first (Rav/Rav/Com) with the initial buffs (Syn/Sab/Med or Com) then proceed to (Com/Com/Rav or Com) and switch to Sen/Med/Com or Med if you're low on health.

I remember using only a few Paradigms at that battle.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
ULTROS! said:
You could try staggering the enemy first (Rav/Rav/Com) with the initial buffs (Syn/Sab/Med or Com) then proceed to (Com/Com/Rav or Com) and switch to Sen/Med/Com or Med if you're low on health.

I remember using only a few Paradigms at that battle.

On my first try we managed to staggered him twice and get some hits off, the problem is that he has that spell that removes everyone's buffs... and then he has a second spell that hits everyone FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE (sorry, couldn't resist).

I just remember towards about half way through that fight he just gets super aggressive and even with two MEDS we are constantly, but never really, catching up to refill our health... then go back to buffing... then have this asshole remove all the buffs... and we don't really have any time for attacking.

Hmm, I'll give it another go today after school. Just wondering if there was something I was missing in all this though. I'm fairly leveled and haven't had any real problems through this Chapter.
This IS the end of the chapter, right? I'm talking about the Barth... boss fight.

Mael

Well just started playing this (a friend lent it to me, 3 hurray for physical distribution).
18hrs in and 8 chapters later...
I think I don't hate this game, actually might be my fav FF by the the team that commited this game (from a Nomura's involvment standpoint...dismissing FFV/VI as something else of course).
I'm pretty happy that I let the horror stories get to me, I appreciate the game much more as a result :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hmm... You could try going for a Com/Rav/Med instead of switching to healing mode and switch to Com/Sen/Med when your life is very very low. Make sure Fang is the Com one as she is the strongest Commando in the entire party.

I remember using Fang/Lightning/Hope for that battle.

Cornbread78

ULTROS! said:
Hmm... You could try going for a Com/Rav/Med instead of switching to healing mode and switch to Com/Sen/Med when your life is very very low. Make sure Fang is the Com one as she is the strongest Commando in the entire party.

I remember using Fang/Lightning/Hope for that battle.

Yeah, Light/Fang/Hope are the best combo by far.

By the way, does anyone have any sure fire ways to beat the friggen' Long Gui? I've pretty much given up, Doom counter always starts...

- Does anyone know where/how to get more Elixers? Maybe if I Summon spam the damn thing, I can do it, but I only have the couple Elixers I got from dismantling some items.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I just entered Chapter 12... at one point I had some great ambitions to grind this game out and get a lot of Trophies, now I just want to finish. Can you go back to Gran Pulse at all in Ch.12, or is it only at the end of the game in Ch.13?

About how much longer after you defeat the first boss in Ch.12 until the end? I am I pretty close? I think this is a game I may come back to playing later for the all hunts and stuff. I didn't want to spend forever roaming around G.Pulse for the next mission # in order, is there a good map or something online that shows you where all the mission #s are located on Gran Pulse?

Just finished the game finally.

Alright game, but a terrible Final Fantasy. It is truly offensive how much time they spent on this game to craft the most uninteresting characters/story to date. I would rather have the cheesy simple crystal vs evil simplicity of the early days than another XIII. I loved the battle system, which I don't want to neglect as it made the game very enjoyable at times. However the story and characters were just terrible. Things started picking up mid game but the end was just embarrassing. I am truly disappointed on the series now, considering its a favourite. Would rather forget this Final Fantasy game exists. I know next time when I hear fan outcries like for this game I will listen.

Cornbread78 said:
Yeah, Light/Fang/Hope are the best combo by far.

By the way, does anyone have any sure fire ways to beat the friggen' Long Gui? I've pretty much given up, Doom counter always starts...

- Does anyone know where/how to get more Elixers? Maybe if I Summon spam the damn thing, I can do it, but I only have the couple Elixers I got from dismantling some items.

You get 1 elixir in the game on the last chapter I think, then all the others are from dismantling maxed out doctors codes.

Cornbread78

kyo_daikun said:
You get 1 elixir in the game on the last chapter I think, then all the others are from dismantling maxed out doctors codes.

I'll have to search for more Doctors Codes somehow/somewhere... The whole Long Gui thing has pissed me off so bad, two trophies to go, but it seams SSOOOOOOO far away!

Dark Oni

worst ff ever seriously i was dragging myself to try to finish it but couldn't take it anymore and quit at ch11 the only thing the game has going for itself is the graphics i guess that's where all the development time went the battle is ok but i hate how you run to an enemy and instead of attacking it right there it goes all swirly and then the fight begins wtf

Working on a platinum as well. Definitely best FF since 9.

I have only some missions after 51 to complete (54, 61, 57, 58 may also be done already). All completed missions have already been five starred.

I need the following still, besides the missions:
treasure hunter
long gui
full CP trees (only 3 secondary roles on all characters -- some of these are already level 2)

I have a plan for traps -- I have 3 extra belladonna staffs -- going to front the cost of 1 trap when I can, then upgrade them to Nirvana and dismantle -- should net me 3 each. -- use one every time to upgrade another marlboro to nirvana, dismantle, repeat. +2 traps every time.
Other than that, I think my main obstacle is the damned dark matters.

corrosivefrost said:
I have a plan for traps -- I have 3 extra belladonna staffs -- going to front the cost of 1 trap when I can, then upgrade them to Nirvana and dismantle -- should net me 3 each. -- use one every time to upgrade another marlboro to nirvana, dismantle, repeat. +2 traps every time.
Other than that, I think my main obstacle is the damned dark matters.

Thats such a costly way of doing it, you would be much better off just farming plat ingots using vanilles death then getting them randomly like that, too late now I guess.

kyo_daikun said:
Thats such a costly way of doing it, you would be much better off just farming plat ingots using vanilles death then getting them randomly like that, too late now I guess.

Unless the plat ingots drop like holy hell, i'll need 14 plat ingots per trap. x6 traps, that's 84 plat ingots. that's a lot. this way, i only need a few ultra compact reactors, some cheap tier 1 catalysts and I've already fronted the 90k for the 3 extra rods. Considering right now getting plat ingots isn't easy for me, I'm stuck getting tonberry dolls at 30kish a piece and that takes like 15 minutes.

Factoring in that I need also:

Accessories (numbers needed):
Perovskite x 17
Adamantite x 2
Dark Matter x 2
Uranite x 5
Cobalite x 1

To finish out accessory upgrades and I still need to buy 1-2 weapons per character and their tier 1 catalysts, it seemed a hell of a lot cheaper to buy 1 trap at 2mil and use that to see all the tier 3 weapons via minimal upgrades (1-2 ultracompact reactors took marlboro to *).

But I'm open to suggestions. Seriously. Save me the time, please. :)

Edit: Missions 60, 62, 63, 64 are all I have left mission wise, then it's all grinding for CP and treasure hunter. :(

StoOgE

Good God Square.

I am almost 10 hours into the game and at this point the best I can do is guess at the plot. Here is a hint: it is best not to keep your customer/player completely in the dark as to what the fuck is going on.

I'm still not sure why I care about any of these characters or even know who the good or badguys are.

Protip: Throw me a fucking bone. Every main character knowing what is going on while I don't is probably the worst fucking writing I've ever seen.

The environments are also really repetitive.. I don't know if it is the lack of over world or what but it feels like I'm running through the same corridors over and over again.

On the plus side, the combat system and leveling systems are excellent.

StoOgE

Rahxephon91 said:
I'll never understand what was so confusing about the plot. I didn't even need to read the catalog to keep up.

It isn't that the plot is confusing.. it's that they literally didn't bother to give me any idea what was going on for the first 2-3 hours of the game. And have dripped plot on me every now and then since so that I can guess at what is going on.

The beginning of the game was literally "we're killing these military guys who are trying to kill us, and now we're going to go attack that floating thing.. on, and we are going to throw a whole bunch of made up words at you without telling you what any of them mean"

So the ending is that bad, huh? :lol

Such a shame - the battle system is excellent, the game is gorgeous. This really needs a sequel.

Oh well, guess I'll keep at the side quests for a lot longer before I get back to the final fight.

StoOgE said:
It isn't that the plot is confusing.. it's that they literally didn't bother to give me any idea what was going on for the first 2-3 hours of the game. And have dripped plot on me every now and then since so that I can guess at what is going on.

The beginning of the game was literally "we're killing these military guys who are trying to kill us, and now we're going to go attack that floating thing.. on, and we are going to throw a whole bunch of made up words at you without telling you what any of them mean"

I had the same problem. Most of it stemmed from the fact that I couldn't figure out all the differen't falCie vs. lCie vs. whatever. :|

Once I got a generic "falCie are gods, lCie are those chosen by gods, and the gods on the planet vs the gods in cocoon," things made a bit more sense for the overall story.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
StoOgE said:
Good God Square.

I am almost 10 hours into the game and at this point the best I can do is guess at the plot. Here is a hint: it is best not to keep your customer/player completely in the dark as to what the fuck is going on.

I'm still not sure why I care about any of these characters or even know who the good or badguys are.

Protip: Throw me a fucking bone. Every main character knowing what is going on while I don't is probably the worst fucking writing I've ever seen.

Com'on bro. Man up your ADD and pay attention dude. This is one of the least confusing plots for a Square game (Xenogears, FFVIII, Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, etc..) Read the damn primer if you have to, it really does an excellent job. I wish all games with heavy plot would give you summaries and encyclopedias of the game's lore in case you get behind.

The environments are also really repetitive.. I don't know if it is the lack of over world or what but it feels like I'm running through the same corridors over and over again.

On the plus side, the combat system and leveling systems are excellent.

Yeah wrd. This game is literally Call of Final Fantasy Modern Warfare. Just go straight and fight dudes.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished the game tonight.
I like how the game's logo is an ending "spoiler". That's pretty neat. The ending super reminded you of an iconic Final Fantasy VII scene from the ending though. Not sure if that was super intentional or not.

Anyways so after I saved the game after the credits, I can warp back to Grand Pulse... but how would I warp back to... "Whatever Land" in Chapter 13? Do I just have to touch any Waypoint Stone and it'll allow me to go back, or do certain Waypoint Stones have a Warp next to them that lets me go back to "Chapter 13 Land" ?

Finally got the platinum a few days ago, I'm so glad to be done with this game.

Adam Prime said:
Anyways so after I saved the game after the credits, I can warp back to Grand Pulse... but how would I warp back to... "Whatever Land" in Chapter 13? Do I just have to touch any Waypoint Stone and it'll allow me to go back, or do certain Waypoint Stones have a Warp next to them that lets me go back to "Chapter 13 Land" ?

AFAIK, only way to warp around is by using cie'th mission waypoints and Atomos. Going back to Orphan's Cradle is accessible only from Vallis Media Base Camp .

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alien Manobo said:
Finally got the platinum a few days ago, I'm so glad to be done with this game.

AFAIK, only way to warp around is by using cie'th mission waypoints and Atomos. Going back to Orphan's Cradle is accessible only from Vallis Media Base Camp .

Cool, thanks. Is there a guide that you used to help you out? I'm looking for a Mission stone location map somewhere on the internet...

Adam Prime said:
Cool, thanks. Is there a guide that you used to help you out? I'm looking for a Mission stone location map somewhere on the internet...

For mission locations I used this.

Also printed out a list of equipments that I just crossed off once acquiring them for the Treasure Hunter trophy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hah I was looking at that exact same webapge, then came over to NeoGAF to see if you responded and posted the same one. Excellent, thanks!

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
I finished the game and am up to the
Titans Trials
as far as doing the missions in order. I have not bought a single item and haven't upgraded anything. I assume it's time to start my upgrading.

I'm looking for the best (easiest to understand) weapons upgrading guide. I've skimmed through several and I have no clue what's going on :lol Seriously though, reading them makes me feel like an idiot for not knowing where to begin. Anyone have a good starting point? Thanks in advance.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Seda said:

Thanks...trying my first one to obtain Death to beat this damn Neochu. I applied 36 sturdy bones but my multiplyer only hit 2x. I had to use a few more Vibrant Ooze to hit the 3x multiplyer. Is that FAQ wrong or is there something else I need to do?

Edit: Nevermind - I see the multiplyer decreases after upgrading once.

MechaX

Adam Prime said:
Com'on bro. Man up your ADD and pay attention dude. This is one of the least confusing plots for a Square game (Xenogears, FFVIII, Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, etc..) Read the damn primer if you have to, it really does an excellent job. I wish all games with heavy plot would give you summaries and encyclopedias of the game's lore in case you get behind.

I really don't think a storyline writer really did his/her job if you need a glossary to make complete sense of a story as opposed to just... putting that stuff in the game/book/show/etc's narrative to begin with.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just started playing last night. So far I'm pretty unimpressed gameplay wise. The cg is beautiful, but I'm bored as fuck in this game. I'm at Lake Bresha now. Does the game get any more fun?

I understand the plot but they're making it overcomplicated with all the terms that overlap. Without that data intel I would be lost.

ULTROS!

CrankyJay said:
Just started playing last night. So far I'm pretty unimpressed gameplay wise. The cg is beautiful, but I'm bored as fuck in this game. I'm at Lake Bresha now. Does the game get any more fun?

I understand the plot but they're making it overcomplicated with all the terms that overlap. Without that data intel I would be lost.

Don't expect much till you reach Chapter 11, where the game sort of opens up.

Other than that, I'd say the biggest focus on FFXIII is the battle system and the graphics.

Dries

So I bought the 360 version a time ago and got to chapter 6 or 7 or so. Recently I've bought a PS3 and I'm able to buy the PS3 version really cheap. Is it worth it to start over again playing the PS3 version? In other words: Is the PS3 version graphically really so much better that it's worth the purchase?

Giolon

Dries said:
So I bought the 360 version a time ago and got to chapter 6 or 7 or so. Recently I've bought a PS3 and I'm able to buy the PS3 version really cheap. Is it worth it to start over again playing the PS3 version? In other words: Is the PS3 version graphically really so much better that it's worth the purchase?

That depends on how much better you like 1080p Blu-Ray quality cutscenes vs. compressed Youtube quality ones.

One the one hand, the PS3 version does look quite a bit better and you're not very far in the game.

On the other hand, you already own it and started playing it.

Ask yourself this - are you having a problem with the game as it exists on 360? Do you just sit and look at it and go "Man, I wish this looked better. I know it looks better on PS3. This sub-standard presentation is really getting to me"? Do you have extra cash burning a hole in your pocket?

Maybe you should pick the answer you chose for two or more of those questions and let that guide your decision.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
if you're doing the mark missions after finishing the game... Should you be strong enough to complete them all without grinding a few levels... Or are there a few missions that are "impossible" unless you have legit weapons and accessories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom