• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the later ones will definitely feel absolutely impossible without grinding. They're not literally impossible at lower levels, but I seriously don't recommend fighting them at low levels. For the sake of your sanity.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Green Mamba said:
Some of the later ones will definitely feel absolutely impossible without grinding. They're not literally impossible at lower levels, but I seriously don't recommend fighting them at low levels. For the sake of your sanity.

Ah, okay. So there's 64 missions - I'm thinking of just tackling through from them in order now that I'm in post game. I don't care about 5 staring every mission, but I think it'd be fun to try and clear them all.

Diablos

I'm aware of there being discussion about FFXIII being a PS3 killer. How is this even possible? WTF is the game doing, overclocking the system? :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dries said:
So I bought the 360 version a time ago and got to chapter 6 or 7 or so. Recently I've bought a PS3 and I'm able to buy the PS3 version really cheap. Is it worth it to start over again playing the PS3 version? In other words: Is the PS3 version graphically really so much better that it's worth the purchase?

Yes.

teiresias

I finished the game story late last week. What the hell? The whole last chapter makes pretty much zero sense and the ending is completely ridiculous.

Stick this combat system in a Chrono-universe game (with none of the linearity of FFXIII) and give me a call SE, then we'll talk.

Dries said:
So I bought the 360 version a time ago and got to chapter 6 or 7 or so. Recently I've bought a PS3 and I'm able to buy the PS3 version really cheap. Is it worth it to start over again playing the PS3 version? In other words: Is the PS3 version graphically really so much better that it's worth the purchase?
If you don't like the game enough to really want to replay the early parts then no. While the cutscenes look phenomenally better, the in game graphics aren't that much better on the PS3.

Though if you really like the game and want to play it to the best of its abilities, then yes. The cutscenes are beautiful on the PS3. On the game does look a bit better. Plus the native rez is higher on the PS3, plus it upscales pretty well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The framerate in some parts (especially in the open field maps) can turn abysmal on the 360 version.

CrankyJay

Banned
ULTROS! said:
Don't expect much till you reach Chapter 11, where the game sort of opens up.

Other than that, I'd say the biggest focus on FFXIII is the battle system and the graphics.
Got to Chapter 6 and am starting to enjoy it a bit more. Vanilla has a weird accent. It's like half British and half something else.

Cornbread78

Lionheart1827 said:
Finally 1000g'd this game the other day. Treasure hunter is such a bitch. :lol

Doing everything took a total of 117 hours. Ugh.

I've taken a break, Adamant Will and Treasure Hunter are the only two I have left. I can;t beat the Doom counter on the Long Gui, and short of running around for 10 hours on a chocobo, I haven't the money to level everything up (gettign enough Traps)

Cornbread78 said:
I've taken a break, Adamant Will and Treasure Hunter are the only two I have left. I can;t beat the Doom counter on the Long Gui, and short of running around for 10 hours on a chocobo, I haven't the money to level everything up (gettign enough Traps)
If you only want the achievement/trophy, you can break down all your doctor codes into elixirs. Get a high damage team together and use all your elixirs on Long Gui. Once you beat him, don't save, you'll still get that achievement/trophy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
BumRush said:
Is it wrong that on my second playthrough, after knowing that the story is what it is, i am LOVING this game??
I had a lot more fun in my second playthrough. Story made a lot more sense... you can kinda see where they dropped the ball at times later in the 2nd half of the story, but things do flow much better once you kind of know what to look for.

BumRush

DY_nasty said:
I had a lot more fun in my second playthrough. Story made a lot more sense... you can kinda see where they dropped the ball at times later in the 2nd half of the story, but things do flow much better once you kind of know what to look for.

Agreed, and the combat is so damn engaging. I would not mind an XIII-2, not at all...

Diablos

CrankyJay said:
Got to Chapter 6 and am starting to enjoy it a bit more. Vanilla has a weird accent. It's like half British and half something else.
It's Australian. Some words sound British, others very watered down (American-like).

BumRush

Diablos said:
It's Australian. Some words sound British, others very watered down (American-like).

I don't think it's the accent that bothers me, just the giggling and moaning...it's sort of weird playing in front of people when she's doing her thing

After playing FFXII, the voice acting is XIII is despicable. Snowe and Hope are particularly shit, I think my hatred is also fuelled by them also being generally shitty characters.

DY_nasty

PumpkinPie said:
After playing FFXII, the voice acting is XIII is despicable. Snowe and Hope are particularly shit, I think my hatred is also fuelled by them also being generally shitty characters.
After playing SO4, I'm numb to bad voice acting :p

Still, other than Vanille, most of the cast is just fine. Even then, she's really not even that bad. Its just her constant sex moans and other weird noises that make her hard to deal with.

PumpkinPie said:
Eh not really. Snow's voice acting is the only thing that makes him tolerable and Hop actually sounds like a teenager.

FFXIII's voice acting is fine.

PumpkinPie said:

No the VA is both games is great(XII is still better in that regard, but XIII isn't bad).

It's the writing the that makes the every few sentences sound cringe-worthy.

Diablos

BumRush said:
I don't think it's the accent that bothers me, just the giggling and moaning...it's sort of weird playing in front of people when she's doing her thing
Oh, well, yeah. Sounds like she's constantly having an orgasm. :lol

I know there's a defense force and all, but they really picked a bad voice actress for an otherwise excellent character. It's also very unfortunate because the rest of the cast sounds awesome.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
XIII's isn't as bad actually, better than a few RPGs (but still, KH has one of the best voiceovers).

Plus XIII's localization is very good.

ajf009

Ok so I am quite ashamed to admit it but I've been so busy with other games I really haven't gotten around to playing through XIII yet. I started it up awhile ago and liked it, but I'm still on the fence for the new battle system, from someone who's played through, is it really any good?

ULTROS! said:

Oh, well of course.

ajf009 said:
Ok so I am quite ashamed to admit it but I've been so busy with other games I really haven't gotten around to playing through XIII yet. I started it up awhile ago and liked it, but I'm still on the fence for the new battle system, from someone who's played through, is it really any good?

Yeah, but it takes its god damned time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ajf009 said:

Battle system is fine actually, it's fast paced and relatively easy to grasp.

Of course, the biggest focus on FFXIII is the battle system.

ajf009 said:

The battle system is wonderful in my opinion. A perfect mixture of speed and strategy that I really hope more developers would take their cues from (not that I want to see less turn based RPGs, but I hope that future RPGs that try for 'fast paced' battles resemble FF XIII more than Mass Effect).

DY_nasty

ajf009 said:
I thought it was the best in the series. Just wish that the development system left you with more options in the end...

BumRush

ajf009 said:

As everyone is stating, the battle system is very good. If you're big into flashy cut-scenes and fast/solid gameplay, this is a great (albeit linear) RPG for you

EDIT: And as Fimbulvetr said above, it takes A WHILE to get good...

ULTROS! said:

See, THIS is bad voice acting. Arc Rise Fantasia has bad voice acting. Many games in the mid-late 90s have bad voice acting.

Final Fantasy XIII does NOT have bad voice acting. For that matter, neither does X. The VAs just try to adopt the mannerisms and talking styles often seen in anime which sounds awkward sometimes because that's not how we talk. Yes, you can make a case for it being problematic but not for the acting.

cosmicblizzard said:
Final Fantasy XIII does NOT have bad voice acting. For that matter, neither does X. The VAs just try to adopt the mannerisms and talking styles often seen in anime which sounds awkward sometimes because that's not how we talk. Yes, you can make a case for it being problematic but not for the acting.

Yuna, Tidus, and Seymour definitely needed work, regardless of script issues.

I know Wakka's actor can do better, they just need to get rid of that accent, ya?

CrankyJay

Banned
Is there a good strategy for upgrading/dismantling weapons/accessories? It seems dismantling is a ripoff and you'd be better off just selling the upgraded weapon at a higher cost so you can just buy the upgrade items.

louis89

I just reached Pulse. How close am I to the end?

And can you go back and do the missions and stuff after completing the game?

qwerty2k

sorry for the bump but...

Started playing Final Fantasy again earlier, about 7 hours in and i even have the official guide...not sure i will ever finish it, im too worried about playing it 'wrong' and not levelling my characters up correctly so i can actually defeat the enemies that im basically reading the guide as im playing line by line which is destroying any fun to be had.

Am i doing it wrong? do i really have to worry about how i level up my character? upgrading weapons? etc? or can i just say fuck it and do my own thing and still be able to complete the game?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
louis89 said:
I just reached Pulse. How close am I to the end?

And can you go back and do the missions and stuff after completing the game?

If you JUST reached and started Pulse/Chapter 11 - you've got a ways to go still. Chapter 11 is DAMN long... so yeah. I'd still say maybe up to ten hours. And you can do all of the side missions and stuff after completing the game. I would recommend doing missions 1-20 that you come across in Chapter 11. It'll level you up right for the end-game. The final bosses can be kinda tough without appropriate leveling up. There are some good grind spots in Chapters 11-13 , just YouTube them. But if you do the side missions leading up to the end of the game, you should get by with little frustration.

Started playing Final Fantasy again earlier, about 7 hours in and i even have the official guide...not sure i will ever finish it, im too worried about playing it 'wrong' and not levelling my characters up correctly so i can actually defeat the enemies that im basically reading the guide as im playing line by line which is destroying any fun to be had.

Am i doing it wrong? do i really have to worry about how i level up my character? upgrading weapons? etc? or can i just say fuck it and do my own thing and still be able to complete the game?

Hah there's no way to level up your characters wrong. You can only go pretty much one direction until Chapter 10! Once you hit Ch.10 you have all the Roles available to you for every character, but don't bother leveling those up. Just stick to leveling up each character's three "MAIN" Roles and worry about the other ones post-game (if you want to keep on playing).

Don't bother upgrading weapons... until Chapter 11-13 at least. I beat the whole game only upgrading one weapon and one accessory. End game missions though I went ahead and did more, but it really really isn't a requirement at all. The game is easily beatable without ever upgrading a thing.

... Yeah this game is so linear I don't think there's a wrong way to play. Even if you do your own thing leveling up and upgrading weapons, the game is still forgivable and linear that you'll be fine. You can recover from any "mistakes" at any point of the game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Blegh I think I am going to retire this game...

I really like this game, the battle system and music and make it worth it to keep on playing after the credits. I'm doing post game Mission and I just got to Mission 49 in the Titan's Trails. There's two A Rank missions at the end of Titan's Trails where there is just nothing that I can do to win those fights. I think all there is to do is spend time grinding away to level up my stats, make some better equipment, etc. but I don't have the heart to grind when I have other games to play.

... Unless anyone knows of a super-bad ass spot to grind post-game - I think I'm out. I know about those two beasts that spill 6600 CP and the fight only takes 15 seconds to win, but I don't feel like doing that for hours and hours. Maybe I'll come back to it when I run out of games to play and I want to trophy whore a few more trophies out of FFXIII.

I don't know how some of you managed to 100% this game! :lol

DY_nasty

Adam Prime said:
Blegh I think I am going to retire this game...

I really like this game, the battle system and music and make it worth it to keep on playing after the credits. I'm doing post game Mission and I just got to Mission 49 in the Titan's Trails. There's two A Rank missions at the end of Titan's Trails where there is just nothing that I can do to win those fights. I think all there is to do is spend time grinding away to level up my stats, make some better equipment, etc. but I don't have the heart to grind when I have other games to play.

... Unless anyone knows of a super-bad ass spot to grind post-game - I think I'm out. I know about those two beasts that spill 6600 CP and the fight only takes 15 seconds to win, but I don't feel like doing that for hours and hours. Maybe I'll come back to it when I run out of games to play and I want to trophy whore a few more trophies out of FFXIII.

I don't know how some of you managed to 100% this game! :lol
Did you get the item that doubles CP? Makes things a bit easier. The mission to get it is a bitch though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
DY_nasty said:
Did you get the item that doubles CP? Makes things a bit easier. The mission to get it is a bitch though.

I think that's what helped seal the deal on me giving up on playing this post-game. I tried that mission, upgraded Vanille's staff to make it great a Debuffing, and I was still dying all over the place. That's pretty much when I decided that in order to finish missions like that one, I was going to have to grind over and over just to get the Exp Egg... ugh.

Part of me does want to just try and beat the final boss again for the 5 star Gold Trophy. That can't be as bad as some of these damn A Rank missions. Maybe I'll come back to this game later and try some more, maybe I just need a break!

Zoe

Adam Prime said:
I think that's what helped seal the deal on me giving up on playing this post-game. I tried that mission, upgraded Vanille's staff to make it great a Debuffing, and I was still dying all over the place. That's pretty much when I decided that in order to finish missions like that one, I was going to have to grind over and over just to get the Exp Egg... ugh.

You don't need grinding for that mission... you need luck and then skill after the big guy is gone.

I finished the trials without the egg though. For a couple of last ones you might as well just use the death trick. Going through the trials repeatedly should give you plenty of CP though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Zoe said:
You don't need grinding for that mission... you need luck and then skill after the big guy is gone.

I finished the trials without the egg though. For a couple of last ones you might as well just use the death trick. Going through the trials repeatedly should give you plenty of CP though.

I tried using Death on the two A rank missions I couldn't defeat. Couldn't get it to hit, I have the staff that everyone recommends, but maybe I need more Magic stats or something? Mmh, just frustrating to sit there and spam Death over and over and never have it connect!

Cels

Adam Prime said:
I tried using Death on the two A rank missions I couldn't defeat. Couldn't get it to hit, I have the staff that everyone recommends, but maybe I need more Magic stats or something? Mmh, just frustrating to sit there and spam Death over and over and never have it connect!

If you are going for platinum you will have to grind at some point so might as well grind CP/gil now and try those 2 A-rank missions later when you have stronger weapons/party. If you get hit once and die then yea you are too weak at this point, just come back later.

Cornbread78

Relix said:
I decided to keep playing. That Barth... w/e boss with five heads is kicking my ass =(

EAsy enough, you'll destroy him with the right pattern.

Sadly enough, I have given up for now and have been playing inFamous. I only need teh Treasure Hunter and Adament Will trophies to platinum teh game too. Just too tedious at this point to spend another 15 hours grinding Gil to upgrade the weapons. Plus the traps..... oh, how unlucky I am that they just wouldn't drop for me! Now everything is a Long Gui and I can;t beat that piece of @$^#&$&*

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Decided to go with haste. Liberscoped him. Used 3 Ravs. Exploded each head. Kept using potions with doctor's code. When he started the destructo shit I just pummeled away him and with damage it seems attack was lowered. After 10 mins I got him down. Felt good :lol Awesome cutscene after that, sadly the YT FMV quality of the 360 kills the mood for me a bit.

Chapter 9 was the best Chapter though :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just realized I've gone through 9 Chapter without ever upgrading weapons :lol :lol I did now.... but even with that the Pulsework Knight are kicking my ass. wut:lol

Relix said:
Just realized I've gone through 9 Chapter without ever upgrading weapons :lol :lol I did now.... but even with that the Pulsework Knight are kicking my ass. wut:lol

There's not much point to upgrading weapons until you have a decent amount of materials, best thing for the knights is have 3 ravagers and use lightning spells, then when its staggered change to commando's and finish them off.

Dries

Got some Chapter 7 story confusion going on here. Anyone care to shed some light?

So I just found out that Fang and Vanille are l'Cie from Gran Pulse and awoke from crystal stasis because they completed a focus. However they don't remember what their focus was. But it seems that they are still l'Cie and still have an ongoing focus. But I thought once you've awaken from crystal stasis that means that you have completed your focus and are cleansed from your l'Cie status. How can they still have a focus after they have awoken from their crystal stasis?

Or will I find that out later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom