• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

How difficult is the combat for the first 15-20 hours or so? People have been saying that it's very easy until the game sets you free.

Majine

Banned
Skel said:
Spoiler question about the end of Chapter 3:

So I beat the final boss of the area with Snow, Sazh and Vanille, and then it switches back to Snow for the battle with the Eidolon. The tutorial says to use Libra and something about use defensive abilities, so I switch into Sentinel mode. I used Libra but I don't see where it shows me which abilities to use in Sentinel. Could someone help me out with this part?

Thanks.

I went into Sentinel, and used that shieldspell, when the boss starts charging her spell. After I've blocked, I went into the other paradigm, forgot what its called, but it had spells such as Blizzard. Switch between these two.

Skel said:
Spoiler question about the end of Chapter 3:

So I beat the final boss of the area with Snow, Sazh and Vanille, and then it switches back to Snow for the battle with the Eidolon. The tutorial says to use Libra and something about use defensive abilities, so I switch into Sentinel mode. I used Libra but I don't see where it shows me which abilities to use in Sentinel. Could someone help me out with this part?

Thanks.

Once you've cast Libra, just use Auto-command and Snow will use defense techniques. Apparently the Shiva Sisters like that, so if you just keep doing it they'll eventually enter Gestalt Mode.

hank_tree

Stupid UPS never showed today so it'll be tomorrow before I get my hands on it. Think I'll play some more of the Japanese version to tide me over.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but what I don't like is how you're constantly being split up from the group and fighting in parties of two.

So I go through all the trouble of upgrading weapons and accessories, but then we split up and I can't use said items for an hour?

Meh.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hi def FMVs are so gorgeousssss. I wish that Advent Children was like this, because only the new scenes are in HD. The old ones are upscaled and shitty. Le sigh.

neoism

Majine said:
Missed this. 5!? :lol What is wrong with them!?
Yeah, I'm sooo glad I stopped caring about reviews, I was sooo pissed at EGM back in the day for giving Legend of Dragoon a 5.:lol :lol I don't even read or watch video reviews anymore. I'm really glad I decided to read all the impressions in the import thread though. I probably would have a higher chance of being disappointed by this game, if I'd went in blind.
This fucking mail is really pissing me off though. I was expecting this by 12:30 :( Even though Amazon+Amazon Prime is awesome, I should have just got up at 7 or so and went to Walmart! :/.

Salz01

I've never played a FF game or role playing game like this before. Is this game beginner friendly, or is it aimed at the hardcore FF veterans?

Got my CE Book and PS3 game, and my controller is charging while I eat lunch. I doubt I will even look at this thread, or open the guide till I have beat the game. I am one happy FF fan. :D

neoism

How does enemy re-spawns work? Do you just leave an area and come back, or once you've killed all in that area they don't come back?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Salz01 said:
I've never played a FF game or role playing game like this before. Is this game beginner friendly, or is it aimed at the hardcore FF veterans?

every FF game is all new systems to learn. total noob friendly :)

Salz01 said:

Very beginner friendly. Everything that you need to do in battles is explained well.

YakiSOBA

I just bought it at lunch, but is anyone else a bit outraged that it costs 70$ + (Canadian), that's 1/3 of the console price... and doesn't come with anything at all.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
YakiSOBA said:
I just bought it at lunch, but is anyone else a bit outraged that it costs 70$ + (Canadian), that's 1/3 of the console price... and doesn't come with anything at all.

I used to pay between 80 and 90 dollars for RPGs in the Sega Master System and Genesis days. In today's dollars, well over 100 bucks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
neoism said:
How does enemy re-spawns work? Do you just leave an area and come back, or once you've killed all in that area they don't come back?

Any areas not on your radar will respawn.

Joei

I seriously have to stay out of this thread. I am so eager to play but won't get to until Thursday or Friday.... aaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Scythesurge said:
So do you think the battles ever got too fast or out of your control? I don't want to be auto-battling the whole game!
you can stack your commands manually and then press right directional button over the command to do 'repeat' - so it's faster than entering them every time, but still manual control

Okay so I just beat the big
fal'Cie
boss. Is there a spoiler free explanation of all these factions? I kind of have no idea what the heck is going on.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
jon bones said:
it's true. i rarely come to the gaming side because so many people complain. even the street fighter thread sometimes gets shitted up.

I think you mean shat up. :D

Tamanon

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Okay so I just beat the big
fal'Cie
boss. Is there a spoiler free explanation of all these factions? I kind of have no idea what the heck is going on.

I'd suggest using your Datalog. A lot of the info is in there.

masterkajo

Sitting here in my small rented appartement studying for my exams next week and knowing my FFXlll CE is sitting at my parent's until I finish and can finally go home.

While watching the FFXlll review of gametrailers I heard a song with the word "rainbow" in it. Just wondering if someone could tell me how it is called. Thanks and happy playing!!

*jealously - trying to understand how to quantize the EM field*

jjasper

Just picked it up at Target during lunch break and they had RE5 on clearance for $9.80, so I picked it up with the gift card, woo! Can't wait to play it.

Zoe

masterkajo said:
While watching the FFXlll review of gametrailers I heard a song with the word "rainbow" in it. Just wondering if someone could tell me how it is called. Thanks and happy playing!!

I believe that's Serah's theme song.

Edit: Whoops, BlazingDarkness had it right.

Aeon712

This game is so awesome, sucks that I picked up Battlefield yesterday to play with friends as this owns my life right now. Only thing I'm not liking is Vanille jingling sound when she runs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sunleth Waterscape and Serah's Theme are both arrangements (w/lyrics) of Fabula Nova Crystalis.

Zzoram

YakiSOBA said:

Futureshop/Best Buy charge $59.99, EB charges $64.99 (but get a nice colour 30 page mini-guide book, sorta an extended manual + minor walkthrough of early chapters, and a pretty big poster)

People complain about the lack of traditional RPG elements but my brother booted up White Knight Chronicles today (got it with FFXIII) and it was almost painful to watch :lol He just said 'it feels old' - such an archaic design, i'm happy that FFXIII is something different. The voice acting in WKC is also awful, they all sound drugged up.

Zzoram

Classic_Gs said:
I find the camera to be a bit wonky as it sways left and right a bit much.

Ya this was driving me nuts. I try to avoid touching the camera when I can get away with it because of that.

Cloudy

Banned
jjasper said:
Just picked it up at Target during lunch break and they had RE5 on clearance for $9.80, so I picked it up with the gift card, woo! Can't wait to play it.

Are you serious? Wow..

Zzoram

Majine said:
So, what PS3 trophies unlocks XMB themes? And what do they look like? :)

I saw the themes on Youtube, they are just static wallpaper images, nothing dynamic unfortunately. There is one for every main character I believe. You get one for fully scanning 100 enemies, and I think you get one for maxing out the Crystarium or something. Stuff like that.

Zeliard

Einbroch said:
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but what I don't like is how you're constantly being split up from the group and fighting in parties of two.

So I go through all the trouble of upgrading weapons and accessories, but then we split up and I can't use said items for an hour?

Meh.

Yeah, this is going to be an obstacle for me. That and the supposed lack of combat difficulty as they're teaching you the ropes, which wouldn't be so bad except that the tutorials apparently last for many hours.

Linear level design, I can understand, especially given how much emphasis and care Square puts into architecture and general visual detail. Restricting player agency is a much bigger and more inexplicable problem.

On the plus side, people who write walkthroughs will have an easier time of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom