• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnizzle06

Banned
jonnybryce said:
While this isn't the FF that represents the series imo, that may be a good thing for you. Jump in. It's very fun, it's become more fast paced, the graphics are insane and the gameplay is easy to get behind. I mean, if you hate RPGs then you hate RPGs, but this is a great revision of FF gameplay.

Thanks for the advice. I enjoy rpgs like oblivion, fallout, mass effect ect. I'm just concerned with the turn-based fighting aspect.

burgerdog

Posted but nobody saw it at the end of the page:
Doh, do we have to deselect DD 5.1 to get DTS out the game? Sucks that it doesn't default.

So yea, turn off dd 5.1 if you want dts. Now my question is: if it defaults to dd 5.1 does it mean it's better for this game? I'm a sound noob so help me out here!

Magnus

Einbroch said:
Another Sazh/Vanille section. GOD DAMMIT THESE SECTIONS SUCK.

This. I actually game over'd on fucking trash with them once when two bombs decided to self-destruct right next to me at the start of a battle.

Durante

burgerdog said:
Oh my, seeing the game in motion is incredible, screenshots do not do this game any justice at all.
I'm usually the first to call this out as a cheap excuse, but in the case of this game it's really true. The amount of movement and flow in the characters, environments and lighting/shadowing (combined with a transparency rendering technique that works much better in motion than in stills) makes screenshots a really bad representation of the beauty of FF13's graphics.

cnizzle06 said:
Thanks for the advice. I enjoy rpgs like oblivion, fallout, mass effect ect. I'm just concerned with the turn-based fighting aspect.
Well, it's very different from those games, but it being turn based is something you definitely do not have to worry about!

Zoe

Einbroch said:
Another Sazh/Vanille section. GOD DAMMIT THESE SECTIONS SUCK.

:lol

I ended up using Sazh so rarely that at one point he had 999,999 CP that had accumulated.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
burgerdog said:
Doh, do we have to deselect DD 5.1 to get DTS out the game? Sucks that it doesn't default.

So yea, turn off dd 5.1 if you want dts. Now my question is: if it defaults to dd 5.1 does it mean it's better for this game? I'm a sound noob so help me out here!
This seems to vary from PS3 to PS3. I've seen my buddy complain that he only gets PCM audio unless he turns off DTS (despite his receiver supporting DTS) whereas everything defaults to DTS for me if available. I'll have to check FFXIII when I get home, but Uncharted, Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain all defaulted to DTS for me.

However, if your receiver supports HDMI audio, Uncompressed LPCM 5.1 is definitely the way to go for PS3.

K' Dash

cosmicblizzard said:
My battle rankings took a nose dive the second I got paradigms. Should I stop shifting them so much? I'm just having so much fun switching over to different roles but it's messing up my ranks.

The ideal would be to use Libra first to know the weakness of your enemies, and then change to commando/ravager to stagger the enemies AND do more damage with spells.

For tougher enemies I recomend use commando/ravager to stagger first and commando/medic, that way your commando guy will keep the "combo bar" going while the medic is casting cure/cura, and then when the enemy is staggered use ravagger/ravagger to kill it with spells, of course you have to cast Libra at the beginning of the fight to know what spells will do more damage to them.

This is the way to finish the fights FASTER and with faster kills come the 5 stars.

:p

LCfiner

so despite my reservations with the linear nature of the game, I picked it up as I was just too curious to try out the battle system and get sucked into some japanese melodrama. :D

about 90 minutes in and enjoying it so far. hiding the minimap seems to help a little in alleviating the feeling of being in a tube.

the production values are through the roof and I’m enjoying the character introductions so far.

looking forward to the battle system opening up. I can already tell that I’ll enjoy it from what I’ve seen and played so far.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zoe said:

I ended up using Sazh so rarely that at one point he had 999,999 CP that had accumulated.

I don't see why you wouldn't use him often. Until the end of the game, he's the only character with haste.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Zoe said:

So, context leads me to assume that characters out of the active party still gain some experience and such. Is it a percentage of what the active characters gain, or do they get 100%?

Davedough

Doc Evils said:
Yo gaf I'm back home. Now to the pics::D

So the time comes when the gajin goes up stage to get his shit signed only to be greeted by some 6ft 4 bodyguard going "gimme yo shit mang" and I'm like cool bra here you go and he hands it to Kitase, which he looks up at me, then looks down to sign, but then suddenly looks up to me again for some reason. He then hands my game over to Kamikokuryo which he signs and looks up to me for a photo.:lol

Why do you suppose the double take? Were you wearing the Gaf logo or something?

WITHOUT spoiling, are there any secret Achievements that I should know? Like, this rating-after-battle thing, is there an Achievement for completing the ch 1 boss with a 5-star rating? Or anything that is missable that I should know in the secrets section? I don't want to look in the secrets section because I don't want to be spoiled...is it possible for anyone to point out any I should know? Thanks in advance!

edgefusion

Just got back from the HMV launch event with something a little special:

ffxiii.jpg

Signed by Yoshinori Kitase and Isamu Kamikokuryo.

cnizzle06

Banned
Durante said:
Well, it's very different from those games, but it being turn based is something you definitely do not have to worry about!

Fuck it, I'm gonna go out right now and buy the PS3 version. Thanks!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tip: Your battle rank is only judged by the time it takes you to finish a battle, based on the strength of the party. Changing paradigms, using the wrong attacks early on, etc, do nothing to affect your battle rank.

sam27368

Banned
I can understand why people said it's different but the hate it WAS getting seemed like the normal "I have the game early therefore I'm going to post bad opinions so everyone will listen to me" superiority complex. Whilst this game is different, it's also incredibly good.

As for people ripping on the story (admittedly I'm not far in), I think it's a fantastic idea. It can seem confusing with all the different names of things/places/people but a quick look in the datalog wipes out the confusion.

cnizzle06 said:

Then lucky you. As you might know, the turnbased fighting of old is gone, replaced by (1)controlling one party member and the time based battle system. It's no longer "you hit me, I hit you, I'll use this turn to heal, etc." It's more action oriented, you can even hit the triangle button to attack before your time gauge has refilled for weaker damage but to get a hit on an enemy or stop them from lunging at you.

At it's soul, it's still turnbased, but it's freshened up a lot This plus random encounters being gone makes a much more enjoyable, "live" experience.

sam27368 said:
As for people ripping on the story (admittedly I'm not far in), I think it's a fantastic idea. It can seem confusing with all the different names of things/places/people but a quick look in the datalog wipes out the confusion.

I started this game around 1 am and called it a night around 4:30am. I wanted to keep playing, but I was getting tired and found myself not comprehending what I was reading in the datalog. The datalog does go out of it's way to clarify every last thing going on, including summaries of what just happened and how characters feel emotionally, but I do wish the game would use FMVs a bit more to develop the story.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
burgerdog said:

don't think it speaks to the quality of either track, just PS3 games that support DTS have that issue I think... that you have to deselect DD. Don't know if some games make it easier or not. Burnout Paradise was like this as well, of course they may have patched something in at some point.

Durante

thetrin said:
Tip: Your battle rank is only judged by the time it takes you to finish a battle, based on the strength of the party. Changing paradigms, using the wrong attacks early on, etc, do nothing to affect your battle rank.
Well, you're technically right of course, but in a way it does -- if you often change paradigms or use the wrong attacks the battle will take you longer, resulting in a lower rank.

Zoe

thetrin said:
I don't see why you wouldn't use him often. Until the end of the game, he's the only character with haste.

Since I never used him, I never knew what was missing. I managed to get by just fine without him, and by the time I started coming across battles where it was necessary, Hope had already learned it.

Monroeski said:
So, context leads me to assume that characters out of the active party still gain some experience and such. Is it a percentage of what the active characters gain, or do they get 100%?

100%

K' Dash

thetrin said:

That's why you have to play A LOT with the paradigms/abilities of your party, better tought paradigms based on your enemies weakneses = faster kills = * * * * *

thetrin

Durante said:
Well, you're technically right of course, but in a way it does -- if you often change paradigms or use the wrong attacks the battle will take you longer.

By that logic, never changing your paradigm can make a battle take longer. :p

The times for a 5 battle rank fight later on gets close to 15 seconds, which forces you to constantly change paradigms.

Durante

thetrin said:
By that logic, never changing your paradigm can make a battle take longer. :p
Indeed.

Zoe said:
I noticed that this even works while your party is split (resulting in having thousands of CP to spend every time you switch to a new group after a long sequence)

Erasus

cnizzle06 said:
Fuck it, I'm gonna go out right now and buy the PS3 version. Thanks!

Good choice. I also really enjoy Fallout, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc

I also enjoy Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Star Ocean (a bit) :D

This is also the most newb freindly FF yet.

thetrin

Durante said:

Right. My point was addressing cosmicblizzard. He was under the impression that changing paradigms was hurting him, when that might not be the case.

Jeels

Cornbread78 said:
Problem is, that after all is said and done, WKC will keep you playing it longer, even if it does have crappy voice acting, there is more than enough online to keep you busy.!

I think the question is, why would I WANT to play WKC for that long of time.

Monroeski said:
100 percent i believe

Jeels said:

true true :lol I heard the online was better than single player though

Rektash

Small tip for everyone struggeling:

Tough enemies with lots of hp can easily be staggered if you commando/ravage them until they are bit above 50% stagger gauge. Then switch to ravage/ravage. Works like a charm for me. (ravage/ravage right from start doesn t work because the gauge depletes too fast this way)

Doc Evils

I forgot to add that Leona Lewis recorded a video for the event, but no one really gave a shit what she was saying.:lol

This event really shows SE is out of touch with its userbase.

Rektash said:
Small tip for everyone struggeling:

Tough enemies with lots of hp can easily be staggered if you commando/ravage them until they are bit above 50% stagger gauge. Then switch to ravage/ravage. Works like a charm for me. (ravage/ravage right from start doesn t work because the gauge depletes too fast this way)
yeah this is a good tactic

Crisco

Banned
Has anyone compared 720p and 1080p output on the PS3 for this game? It defaults to 1080p on my TV instead of 720p like most games.

Cornbread78

Jeels said:

Looking past some "minor" (IMO) flaws in SP, the game really is a lot of fun. The online mode is the icing on the cake for me, addictive and fun.

Probably been asked a million times already, but does the US version have the option to use the original Japanese voices instead of the English?

Jeels

Cornbread78 said:
Looking past some "minor" (IMO) flaws in SP, the game really is a lot of fun. The online mode is the icing on the cake for me, addictive and fun.

I guess, it's a matter of opinion really, I just can't find much fun in it.

No JP Voices in English Version.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
CastleBravo said:
Probably been asked a million times already, but does the US version have the option to use the original Japanese voices instead of the English?

Pretty sure it doesn't, unfortunately.

Durante

Rektash said:
I've been doing the same thing. But I still haven't fully understood how the commando interaction with the stagger bar works. It seems like each commando hit reduces the gauge's reduction speed (down to some minimum level, with diminishing returns), and the speed gradually increases again while the enemy is no longer hit by a commando. Is that about right?

Einbroch

Banned
Durante said:
I've been doing the same thing. But I still haven't fully understood how the commando interaction with the stagger bar works. It seems like each commando hit reduces the gauge's reduction speed (down to some minimum level, with diminishing returns), and that reduction gradually decreases while the enemy is no longer hit by a commando. Is that about right?
Commando slows down the reduction, Ravager increases the maximum by more. If you only use Ravager, the bar depletes very quickly but the maximum increases rapidly. If you only use Commando, the bar will deplete slowly but will also reach the maximum slowly.

cnizzle06

Banned
jonnybryce said:
Then lucky you. As you might know, the turnbased fighting of old is gone, replaced by (1)controlling one party member and the time based battle system. It's no longer "you hit me, I hit you, I'll use this turn to heal, etc." It's more action oriented, you can even hit the triangle button to attack before your time gauge has refilled for weaker damage but to get a hit on an enemy or stop them from lunging at you.

At it's soul, it's still turnbased, but it's freshened up a lot This plus random encounters being gone makes a much more enjoyable, "live" experience.

Erasus said:
Good choice. I also really enjoy Fallout, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc

I also enjoy Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Star Ocean (a bit) :D

This is also the most newb freindly FF yet.

All very good things to know. Heading out now to pick it up. Thanks guys!

Davedough

Einbroch said:
Oh my God. :lol

"Follow the light, it will guide our path."

Given the linearity of the game, I laughed.

I really dont understand, probably because my copy is still sitting with my name on it in a store the smells like nerd sweat.

Aren't all FF games linear? I mean, I've played them all (sans XI) and they're all Point A to Point B games with some slight sidequests thrown in later for spice. You still follow the path given before you and there are very few choices that make any real impact on the game. Why is this a complaint by the masses when going in you know FF is going to be linear?

Zeliard

Is it true that the Pulse chapter, #11, is as big in content as all of the preceding ones combined? That would go some way towards remedying the issues with linearity, even if you're back in the corridor after that chapter.

Jeels

Davedough said:
I really dont understand, probably because my copy is still sitting with my name on it in a store the smells like nerd sweat.

Aren't all FF games linear? I mean, I've played them all (sans XI) and they're all Point A to Point B games with some slight sidequests thrown in later for spice. You still follow the path given before you and there are very few choices that make any real impact on the game. Why is this a complaint by the masses when going in you know FF is going to be linear?

Because lots of Final Fantasy fans, go into any FF title with incredibly ridiculous standards.

Google

Davedough said:

Yeah, I agree with you.

I'm not quite sure where the "OH MY GOD, LINEARITY IS SHIT" remarks are coming from.

Yeah, in previous Final Fantasy games, you've had access to the world map fairly early on, but you're still stuck, following the same set of instructions as you would be.

The map gives an illusion of openness. This game simply says, "no, I'm going to take you on a journey, and show you the map when you're fucking ready you big, fat, sweaty nerd!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom