• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
sdornan said:
Okay, I've only played for 20 minutes, but I'd like to know why everyone walks so loudly. Sounds like they all wear steel boots. So much so that I can't hear any dialog outside of cutscenes.

I'd turn the 'out of cutscene' subtitles on.

I found I was missing loads of the conversations because their voices get quieter the further you run away from them.

thetrin said:
I'm glad you guys are liking the game. It makes me feel slightly less insane for loving the JP version.
Haha, you and me both broham. JP FFXIII was a fun ride, even with Snowbro's cringeworthy shounen lines that would make even Naruto embarrassed. :lol

scotcheggz

Got my copy through the post this morning, managed to play a couple of hours before work.

Literally a jizzsplosion in my lounge. That's all I'm saying now, see you in ~60 hours gaf :lol

Really hit a moment of poor story development where (spoilers to Chapter 11)
Vanille's role hundreds of years ago was revealed. First I need to learn it from Datalog, then when the cutscene triggers later (didn't even know it will be there) she says it with no emotion at all. Others are all "cool, stuff happens, don't worry about it". HELLO, SHE JUST TOLD YOU SHE WAS BIG FREAKING MONSTER THAT DESTROYED A PART OF A PLANET

Doc Evils said:
Got it signed gaf, kitase gave me a strange Look :lol

xn6xec.jpg

Pics when you get back!

Does anybody know of a decent story primer for this game on the net somewhere? I'm stuck at work for a couple more hours before I get to play, and wouldn't mind knowing a bit of backstory before I start.

Xater

cosmicblizzard said:
Just woke up and about to play all day but let me just say the linearity complaints are WAY overblown.

I'm almost 3 hours and I really don't mind the linearity either. My only problem is that they introduced "leveling" like 2 hours in. That stuff could have been done more quickly.

cosmicblizzard said:
Just woke up and about to play all day but let me just say the linearity complaints are WAY overblown.
this! and i dont miss towns either :) the graphics are mind blowing the fights are realy fun and the story is interesting so far :)

desu

Doc Evils said:
Got it signed gaf, kitase gave me a strange Look :lol

Congrats and pictures :D.

Anyway I am also surprised by the quite positive feedback so far. Wonder if it will stay the same once people have completed the game and post game content.

Zoe

Xater said:
I'm almost 3 hours and I really don't mind the linearity either. My only problem is that they introduced "leveling" like 2 hours in. That stuff could have been done more quickly.

But considering that
Hope and Vanille lose the ability to attack
, it makes sense that leveling doesn't appear sooner.

Dang you GAF HYPE train!

Should I just pick up the 360 version? I don't have a ps3 yet! or should I wait until I pick up a PS3 in the future?

fyi: I have played and beat almost every final fantasy.

7Th

Castor Krieg said:
Really hit a moment of poor story development where (spoilers to Chapter 11)
Vanille's role hundreds of years ago was revealed. First I need to learn it from Datalog, then when the cutscene triggers later (didn't even know it will be there) she says it with no emotion at all. Others are all "cool, stuff happens, don't worry about it". HELLO, SHE JUST TOLD YOU SHE WAS BIG FREAKING MONSTER THAT DESTROYED A PART OF A PLANET

Welcome to the most important yet ambiguous and vaguely explained part of the story; don't get your hopes up as further revelations will only make it less understandable.

It becomes a little clearer after reading the light novel, but even after that it remains a nebulous cloud that for whatever reason the characters don't really want to talk about.

If the game stays as good as it is right now, this is GTA IV Review-Gate in reverse!

Edge 5 is already a total joke though.

JetBlackPanda said:
Dang you GAF HYPE train!

Should I just pick up the 360 version? I don't have a ps3 yet! or should I wait until I pick up a PS3 in the future?

fyi: I have played and beat almost every final fantasy.

Better ask this in the comparison thread...

dark10x said:
I'm shocked at how positive the reactions are thus far. After reading impressions on certain other forums, I was expecting one of the worst RPGs ever made. I mean, seriously, people weren't just disappointed in it...they seem to absolutely HATE it with a passion.

I'll find out for myself later, I suppose, but it's kind of interesting to see the praise. In a way, it seems like the negative impressions may actually result in others enjoying the game more. So many people were expecting a terrible game as a result and I think they are being surprised by it.

I think, the decisions made by SE will not please everyone, but the hate is receiving in some other places is too much, even given you don't like the design choices, you can't say the combat system is top notch and definetly one of the best in the series, or that the world created around the game is not better than your standard JRPG.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
schennmu said:
If the game stays as good as it is right now, this is GTA IV Review-Gate in reverse!

Edge 5 is already a total joke though.

From the reaction I was expecting the worst jRPG ever made. And this is far from it. It's not the best FF game by any stretch of the imagination, but it's certainly a good game.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Xater said:
Wow the Square Enix support is lightning fast. They already got back to me wih my full code for the FF14 beta.

wait whay, how? i need euro support mail cause i regged too early :(((

Like a previous poster mentioned, had I gone in not knowing about the linearity, I would have probably hated FFXIII. So far, I'm having a blast. As a comparison, I played FFX right after FFIX, and hated it.

IonicSnake said:
Been playing for a few hours and I'm actually loving the game, doesn't really feel more linear than FFX so far.
Disagree. Ten hours in and I have done nothing but walk in a straight line.
Still love the game though because of the battle systems and strong characters.

InfiniteNine said:
Just got my CE guide in just now, but I'm unsure if I should open it or not. :lol I wish FedEX was shipping my game too. -stares at guide-

Well you need to open it to see what number you got, lol. I wonder what the lowest number here is. I saw someone on Amazon with number 8,000 or so

diss

Banned
Alright GAF, I just need to know:
Should I be selling all the "component" shit I pick up? I've been holding onto them incase you use them for upgrading weapons later. I want to know if they are just treasure loot I can vendor freely.

Gwanatu T

I don't see it in the OP so I'll just ask here. Are there random battles, or do you see enemies while walking around (a la FF12)?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
diss said:
Alright GAF, I just need to know:
Should I be selling all the "component" shit I pick up? I've been holding onto them incase you use them for upgrading weapons later. I want to know if they are just treasure loot I can vendor freely.

Anything that is vendor trash will have the explanation in the item description. DO NOT SELL COMPONENTS.

Gwanatu T said:
I don't see it in the OP so I'll just ask here. Are there random battles, or do you see enemies while walking around (a la FF12)?

You go to a different screen for battles, but all members of a given enemy squad are visible on the map.

DevelopmentArrested said:

That's an exaggeration and you know it. The whole reason this linearity crap even started is because everyone made it seem like the game is on rails for the first 30 hours.

Yeah it's pretty linear and you can really only deviate from the path for treasure and stuff but it isn't like you just press only up on the analog stick for half the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Guys, I cannot say this enough: be prepared to be VERY VERY poor for most of the game. Save all the money you have for upgrading weapons, or the game will be very frustrating later on.

Don't buy anything besides components for leveling.

Xater said:

I agree. JRPGs needed a refresh, and this game is all kinds of fresh feeling. I prefer this clearer direction style rather than being able to get lost or be overwhelmed (or bored), which non-linear games are capable of inducing.

At first the linear gameplay was a little strong,
simply going straight on the bridge for atleast 30 minutes had me nervous that it was going to be that linear, which was no good, either
but it's leveled off into a nice balance.

I don't miss towns, walking over every square inch to try to find something or trigger an event, being able to run into a random house to hear a stay at home mom proclaim how she's nervous about the weather or breaking into people's bedrooms to steal a potion. This game's graphics are unbelievable, and I'm not disappointed at all. The story is a little confusing at first and relies a bit too much on the datalog to explain what's going on, but other than that...linear ftw.

Empty

Played about 2 hours. Fairly standard so far, the game is in baby mode in terms of difficulty and battle options so the battle system can't sing, hopefully that changes soon, but i really like the set up for it and the fast pace is nice. The dialogue is straight up atrocious ("we're heroes, "mums are strong too" type stuff *vomit*), the story pretty confusing too and not well told, though the codex is really very good and you should totally check it out if you want to understand the story and like the universe, then again i didn't go in expecting quality, but after the dialogue in FFXII it is still disappointing. Vanille is very grating in voice acting along with personality, and the douche squadron resistance forces make me laugh with their character designs seemingly coming out of a Final Fantasy version of the jersey shore (Snow isn't that offensive in personality actually, just visual design). The stuff that's really impressing me is the visuals which are ridiculously nice, and the music; i'm in love with the battle theme.

thetrin

Also, you probably won't have to upgrade your weapons until Chapter 8 or 9, so save everything.

Jrmint

Spoiler question about the end of Chapter 3:

So I beat the final boss of the area with Snow, Sazh and Vanille, and then it switches back to Snow for the battle with the Eidolon. The tutorial says to use Libra and something about use defensive abilities, so I switch into Sentinel mode. I used Libra but I don't see where it shows me which abilities to use in Sentinel. Could someone help me out with this part?

Thanks.

DevelopmentArrested said:

:lol Come on, you know this is not true. The gameplay
before finding Sarah
is more than just a straight line and has room for exploration. I remember going through a hall, seeing a savepoint and remembering there were more branches and enemies that I saw, so I went back, wiped them out, got some items and then went back to that point.

It's not that linear. 4 hours in, it's been impossible to get lost anywhere, but there have been branches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom