• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedough

Holy crapfuck. My game has been sitting on reserve and paid for completely at Gamestop since midnight last night. I'm at work. I NEEEEEED to get off work and go get it. I dont think I'll make it 4 more hours.

That is all

</livejournal>

Slacker

Misterinenja said:
Is the FFXIV beta key for PS3 or PC? I've already signed up for one PC beta while ago.
It looks like you can pick either system when you sign up. I picked PC, and it accepted my code.

FYI if it won't take your code: Copy and paste it to notepad or something first, then delete the spaces, then C&P the 20 digits into the beta form. If you try to paste it straight from the website it'll cut off the last group of digits and fail.

scotcheggz

OK I said see you in ~60 hours gaf, but I can't help it. Soundtrack is awesome in this game. Graphics are awesome. Battle system is fluid, fast and awesome. Story is awesome convoluted nonsense. Dialogue is awesome cheesy (actually burst out laughing at a few points so far).

It's final fantasy basically. Love it. Probably my only complaint thus far is all the in-out-in-out-in-out from the crystarium menu, but perhaps thats my fault and I should just let it go for a bit longer lol.

Just standing by Gates of Antiquity save point whilst I write this, looks beautiful, music is amazing. I was on a mega black-out before this game, but I did get wind of all the negative vibes. So far, I see it, but I just don't care, having a blast.

Zoe

Zzoram said:
You get one for fully scanning 100 enemies

Just a note on this, you don't have to actually scan the enemy. The enemy page gets filled out each time you encounter one until you have everything.

Google

There was a line up of about 20 people going out the door into the mall at 10.30AM this morning.

Never ever seen it that long for a game.

Davedough said:
Holy crapfuck. My game has been sitting on reserve and paid for completely at Gamestop since midnight last night. I'm at work. I NEEEEEED to get off work and go get it. I dont think I'll make it 4 more hours.

That is all

</livejournal>
I feel you, slowest work day ever. I'm not sure if it will be worse going back to work for the rest of the week after playing it tonight though.

Zzoram

Doc Evils said:
Everyone just boo'd when the for xbox 360 trailer played on the big screen :lol

At EB, the clerk shook his head in disapproval every time someone asked for the Xbox 360 version.

Ok I noticed something weird on the tracking on Amazon compared to UPS.
On UPS it says:
MAPLE GROVE, MN, US 03/09/2010 7:48 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
And that it it, no more lines afterward.
But on Amazon's tracking it says:
March 9, 2010 07:48:00 AM Maple Grove Hub MN US Arrival Scan
March 9, 2010 07:48:00 AM Maple Grove MN US Out for delivery
March 9, 2010 07:43:00 AM Maple Grove Hub MN US Arrival Scan

Anyone know what this could mean? It shows an arrival scan right after it being sent out for delivery. Usually the UPS has come to my house by now, so I am getting a little worried.

Moussi

just picked this baby up. it hurt because i wanted to get it for 360 because i play everything on there. But i'm not paying for an inferior version when I have the console that can play the better one. It's too bad. At least my PS3 gets turned on since demon souls.

Zzoram

Zoe said:
Just a note on this, you don't have to actually scan the enemy. The enemy page gets filled out each time you encounter one until you have everything.

On this note, I LOVE how you can hit RB/R1 and get an info panel on your current enemy. It's way better than having to memorize weaknesses.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Easystride said:
On UPS it says:

Anyone know what this could mean? It shows an arrival scan right after it being sent out for delivery. Usually the UPS has come to my house by now, so I am getting a little worried.

Maybe the truck with your package went out for delivery, didn't make it to your area, then went back for more packages and thus a subsequent scan before leaving to make more deliveries? My amazon order says the same and they haven't failed me yet.

Easystride said:
On UPS it says:

I feel for you. Here's mine, that I can't quite figure out either.

March 9, 2010 06:14:00 AM Sacramento CA US Arrival Scan
March 9, 2010 04:30:00 AM West Sacramento CA US Out for delivery
March 9, 2010 04:30:00 AM Sacramento CA US Arrival Scan
March 9, 2010 01:12:00 AM West Sacramento CA US Arrival Scan

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
PS3 standard edition arrived this morning via Amazon release date shipping (FTW). Four hours down, initial impressions:

+ Linear works given the style of the game. Not complaining.

+ I see the potential in the battle system and am itching to get it unlocked fully. It really is exciting.

+ Character designs are actually pretty cool and I like Snow a lot more than I thought I would.

+ It is an epic and interesting world, some of the backstory hinted at in the datalog is Final Fantasy at its best.

+ The graphics are, of course, almost pristine save a slight bit of frame drop during some real time cut scenes.

+ The soundtrack is refreshing, actually. It's unexpected for a Final Fantasy title.

And...

- Going from FFXII to this is a bit of a shock since over the top, anime-heavy, fan-service loaded, Advent Children Nomuravision filters are SET TO KILL. On one hand, the cut scenes are very well done and the characters facial expressions and portrayal of emotion is actually /very/ well done. It can be quite subtle. Sometimes classy. Then every other scene somebody is doing anti-gravity flips with slow motion duel wielding bullet spray. My only real problem is that I can't care about this shit. It sucks the wrong kind of gravity out of the situation.

- Yup, Vanille really is that bad. God.

- English voice acting is well directed, but most of the cast sounds a lot more low rent (including Lightning, unfortunately) than it has any right to given the game's budget. Sahz is awesome, yes, yes, and actually Snow is really good. Otherwise...

- Having almost no on-screen backstory (so far) makes the world seem as if it is rushing by too quickly. The datalog entries are fascinating but not enough.

Durante

Kaijima said:
impressions
I agree with every single point except that I actually like the over the top "nomuravision" cutscenes. I particularly agree with the comment on the voice acting: the localization (eg. writing) is done well and it seems well directed, but I don't see a reason why they couldn't have afforded (even) better actors.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Disagree. Ten hours in and I have done nothing but walk in a straight line.
Still love the game though because of the battle systems and strong characters.
Yes, much of the game is linear, but there's no need to exaggerate to this extent. For example, if you're 10 hours in you've surely already been to all of these these areas: "Map spoiler image" (just in case someone feels spoiled by seeing maps ;))

Anso

Just picked up my Collector's Edition. I do remember it was supposed to be ONE decal in it, no? By some production or packing error I seem to have gotten two :lol

Easystride said:
On UPS it says:

Happens all the time, Amazon's tracking pretty much always looks a bit different than UPS's. No cause for alarm. This is what mine looks like on Amazon:
March 9, 2010 07:51:00 AM Main St - La CA US Arrival Scan
March 9, 2010 07:51:00 AM Los Angeles CA US Out for delivery
March 9, 2010 07:21:00 AM Main St - La CA US Arrival Scan
March 9, 2010 01:37:00 AM Ontario Hub CA US Arrival Scan
March 8, 2010 11:39:00 PM Ontario CA US Arrival Scan
March 8, 2010 09:18:00 PM Mather CA US Departure Scan
March 8, 2010 08:35:00 PM Mather CA US Arrival Scan
March 8, 2010 07:50:00 PM Sparks NV US Departure Scan
March 8, 2010 06:52:00 PM Reno NV US Shipment received by carrier
March 8, 2010 03:48:15 PM Fernley NV US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit
aaaaand UPS:
LOS ANGELES, CA, US 03/09/2010 7:51 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
ONTARIO, CA, US 03/08/2010 10:39 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MATHER, CA, US 03/08/2010 9:18 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/08/2010 8:35 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
SPARKS, NV, US 03/08/2010 7:50 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
RENO, NV, US 03/08/2010 6:52 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN

My battle rankings took a nose dive the second I got paradigms. Should I stop shifting them so much? I'm just having so much fun switching over to different roles but it's messing up my ranks.

cnizzle06 said:
I've never played a FF game in my life, but all this talk and hype is sucking me in. GAF help!

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
This has probably been covered, but can US PS3 copies play the japanese voice acting with english sub-titles? Kinda been meaning to get my otaku on.

edit: woo! My amazon copy arrived! Now the slog to 4:30 begins...

Cornbread78

BlazingDarkness said:
People complain about the lack of traditional RPG elements but my brother booted up White Knight Chronicles today (got it with FFXIII) and it was almost painful to watch :lol He just said 'it feels old' - such an archaic design, i'm happy that FFXIII is something different. The voice acting in WKC is also awful, they all sound drugged up.

Problem is, that after all is said and done, WKC will keep you playing it longer, even if it does have crappy voice acting, there is more than enough online to keep you busy.

With that being said, I bought this today, now I'me screwed.... start playing this, or finish WKC first.... DAMN!

Durante

cosmicblizzard said:
My battle rankings took a nose dive the second I got paradigms. Should I stop shifting them so much? I'm just having so much fun switching over to different roles but it's messing up my ranks.
Well, you shouldn't switch around too much when it's not necessary, but that's also the point where I stopped getting straight 5 star rankings. I think the battles just get harder to master since you have more options available.

mikespit1200 said:
This has probably been covered, but can US PS3 copies play the japanese voice acting with english sub-titles? Kinda been meaning to get my otaku on.
No, there's no version of the game with Japanese VA and English text. (Blame S-E!)

Chairhome

My copy from Amazon arrived a few hours ago... hopefully I'll be able to find time to play this, but its hard when you have kids!

Durante said:
Well, you shouldn't switch around too much when it's not necessary, but that's also the point where I stopped getting straight 5 star rankings. I think the battles just get harder to master since you have more options available.

Same thing for me. Switching too often does seem to impact on your rank.

Durante

LegendOfGood said:
Should I pick up the Collector's Edition Guide if I find it somewhere? How rare are these things?
They only made 13.000 copies.
That is a lie.

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Is it wrong that i'm actually kind of turned on by Vanille and Lightning?
Damn you SE and your CG!
I'm turned on by the environments :lol

BlazingDarkness said:
People complain about the lack of traditional RPG elements but my brother booted up White Knight Chronicles today (got it with FFXIII) and it was almost painful to watch :lol He just said 'it feels old' - such an archaic design, i'm happy that FFXIII is something different. The voice acting in WKC is also awful, they all sound drugged up.

There really needed to be a change to make JRPGs survive in today's market. Lost Odyssey would have been great a few years ago but was so. damn. boring. I'm glad that the "visit towns, random battle, get lost in a dungeon, grind grind grind" has been replaced by updated, modern, fun alternatives.

Google said:
There was a line up of about 20 people going out the door into the mall at 10.30AM this morning.

Never ever seen it that long for a game.

I picked up my copy at 12am, and I was shocked at the line. About 50 people...and I was at the end. Luckily I was able to cut the line since I reserved it at a Gamestop that wasn't open for midnight launch. The last time I saw a line for a game was Halo 3.

cnizzle06 said:
I've never played a FF game in my life, but all this talk and hype is sucking me in. GAF help!

While this isn't the FF that represents the series imo, that may be a good thing for you. Jump in. It's very fun, it's become more fast paced, the graphics are insane and the gameplay is easy to get behind. I mean, if you hate RPGs then you hate RPGs, but this is a great revision of FF gameplay.

Doc Evils

Yo gaf I'm back home. Now to the pics::D

Early on while they setup stage for many gajins that will have their stuff signed:
9pnakn.jpg

They Had 4 Sku's setup next to the stage. 2 PS3, 2 XBOX 360:
10d8g9v.jpg

Once it came to the time, everyone got shuffled into lanes. Each lane would take turns getting stuff signed. Loads of journalists, BUT judging from the queue I was in, there was roughly half of what attended the Kojima signings in 2008, considering FF is bigger her.
But anyway there was video's playing on that large screen and at one point they played a video that ended on xbox 360 and the whole places started Booing. After that they didn't play the xbox vid.:lol
23r5lsp.jpg

Then they chose people in the crowd to participate in a Final Fantasy quiz with the grand prize being the FF13 bundle on XBOX 360, but of course the presenter was greeted with an even louder and longer booing from the whole room.:lol Gaf I wish I was recording video just so you could of seen the presenters face from the rooms reaction.:lol
2wqtx6x.jpg

So finally it's my lanes turn and I'm waitin'
x3g2si.jpg

qrxb37.jpg

So the time comes when the gajin goes up stage to get his shit signed only to be greeted by some 6ft 4 bodyguard going "gimme yo shit mang" and I'm like cool bra here you go and he hands it to Kitase, which he looks up at me, then looks down to sign, but then suddenly looks up to me again for some reason. He then hands my game over to Kamikokuryo which he signs and looks up to me for a photo.:lol

ji137d.jpg

2zoxd1e.jpg

Zee end:
zxwsup.jpg

Lyonaz

Anso said:
Just picked up my Collector's Edition. I do remember it was supposed to be ONE decal in it, no? By some production or packing error I seem to have gotten two :lol

Nah I also have 2.

cosmicblizzard said:

Ranking is based on time, so just go for broke when you get enemies staggered. And getting enemies staggered is the main focus, use buffs and debuffs accordingly obviously, but try maintaining that enemy chain gauge.

Just got to chapter 2, which is probably as far as I will get until my finals are over.

This game is beautiful. So beautiful. The music is fantastic, as well. I don't mind the linearity yet, and chapter 2 does not seem linear...it LOOKS like an open place so far. I like all the characters so far, which is really surprising. The battle system is interesting so far...no other comments yet.

The 360 version is excellent, visually. My friend picked up the PS3 version, so I definitely saw the difference--which, again, to me, was pretty minimal.

So far so good!

Merovin

Can't stop playing! The game has certainly blown me away, the cut scenes are, outstanding. The cast is also pretty sweet, can't decide what to make of Vanille yet though. Quick question with the battle system, throughout the entire game, am I only going to be able to control the leader of the party in battle?

scotcheggz said:
Vanilles voice is really annoying but I still would. :D
Everything she does , be it walking or jumping resides in a sexual groan. I swear it's not just me, my wife said the same thing. I kinda think an aussie accent is hot.

neoism

{spoiler TAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Only if you've play the first twenty minutes..:lol :lol :lol }:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
lol I've been on chose X or Y Axis... for like an hour,,:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol . Long story short. The best 24 minutes of a FF evvvvveeeeererererer.:D :D Sooo fucking awesome. Seriously I'm amazed how an HD version of a Final Fantasy game has leveled to FF12 for me. Take it, I love ff12, and it's my favorite Final Fantasy ever... bur this is sooo goood...!
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom