• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadow780 said:
Amazon folks, which game are you putting the $10 credit you get from pre-ordering XIII?
God of War 3, naturally.

I'm a bit disappointed in the audio mix for this game, I was expecting it to push my system and it's just weak, dialogue heavy and tinny. :( Not working the sub at ALL.

Did anyone else have trouble with Manasvin Warmech?

the tutorial tells you to stick to relentless assault and to switch to solidarity for healing but I tried that four times and kept dying. Now I'm sticking with solidarity the whole time...its taking longer, but Snow is absorbing all the damage and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm gonna die this time.

Its odd to me that doing what the game told me to do didn't work.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm in the Pulse Fal'Cie now and I'm enjoying it so far. The game actually reminds me more of a blend of Lost Odyssey and Digital Devil Saga. Don't know why, but thats the feel I get from it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
schennmu said:
Vanille needs to drown in acid bath +1

The other characters are pretty good though.

Vanille doesn't bother me so much. Sure, the "tee hee" jrpg girl is grating but I'm so used to it that it has to be tremendously bad for me to take notice. Snow on the other hand..."duuude, I'm like totally a hero or somethin' far out". Shut the fuck up.

LiK

played for 4 hours. love Vanille's design but her character has been irritating me so far. the voice actress doesn't help either.

Snow hasnt bothered me at all. i think the voice actor is the main reason. he sounds real familiar....

Just got
"branded" by the Pulse Fal'Cie.
I'm enjoying it so far. Combat is okay - I'm guessing it will improve now that I should be able to use paradigms soon.

The game is gorgeous, but Squeenix's character animation is a bit bothersome at times. Especially Vanille. Some of their movements are still very FFX-esque, which is kind of jarring when coming from otherwise realistic-looking characters.

Also, the Serah/Snow relationship creeps me out. She doesn't look any older than 12. Gross.

Dynamic3

I can't believe so many people are complaining about Vanille when there exists the whiny little bitch known as 'Hope.'

WanderingWind said:
Umm...what? That depends. Do you want second hand knowlege or first hand experiences?

I think I've pinpointed who this game is for, and it's not for the exploratory minded. It's for the people who believe reading something off the internet is as good as observing it for oneself.

Or it's for people who want to switch it up every once in a while. Particularly people like me who just finished WKC, and dable in WoW here and there.

Sometimes I can find depth in places other than exploration (for instance weapon crafting), as opposed to a game like Uncharted (which I personally didn't like) where despite there being different locales, it's jump shoot jump shoot (only) through a predetermined order of corridors. On that note, I think it's the ability to choose when and what I do that appeals to me, though like I said, I enjoy switching it up once in a while as long depth (and decision making) exists in another gameplay element.

Banned
jonnybryce said:
Did anyone else have trouble with Manasvin Warmech?

the tutorial tells you to stick to relentless assault and to switch to solidarity for healing but I tried that four times and kept dying. Now I'm sticking with solidarity the whole time...its taking longer, but Snow is absorbing all the damage and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'm gonna die this time.

Its odd to me that doing what the game told me to do didn't work.
Your supposed to stay in Assault until Your leader gets really hurt, shift, heal and repeat.

LCfiner

now about 5 hours in. still liking it. character mannerisms are a bit annoying. all the grunting and sighing and oohing and aching. More so than the dialogue, it’s those grunts that bug me. they feel so forced.

anyway, I have to say that knowing about the style of this game before getting it has actually helped me appreciate the stuff it does right. If I hadn’t known about the utter lack of exploration, I’d be harping about it, but I got that out of my system months ago :lol

Now I’m just digging the combat and the paradigm shifts. just opened up synergist and saboteur.

only died once in battle and that was Snow vs
the shiva-cycle
couldn’t figure out the pattern in time on the first try.

I’m expecting to get my butt kicked in battle much more often once things open up.

Your supposed to stay in Assault until Your leader gets really hurt, shift, heal and repeat.
I just tried again with the relentless to solidarity and back and it was smooth sailing, five stars. Thanks.

I guess I wasn't switching and responding fast enough. But it worked well this time, which is great because I love this game and battle system and was close to calling a day off to cool down. Now I can continue to play all day. :D

LiK

Dynamic3 said:
I can't believe so many people are complaining about Vanille when there exists the whiny little bitch known as 'Hope.'

yea, Hope is emo annoying. Vanille is hyper annoying ;)

Man, I have never experienced anything like this..

Does anyone else get a headache from the way the camera moves while in the exploration mode? My head is just in pain.. When the camera moves, it's not smooth at all really and seems like it's moving too fast. I can't quite pinpoint the problem but the motion looks "wrong" and it hurts :(

Otherwise enjoying the game despite things I don't like about it.

And I like Vanille.

LiK said:
Snow hasnt bothered me at all. i think the voice actor is the main reason. he sounds real familiar....

Sounded pretty familiar to me too, but I can't pinpoint it.

Banned
Just beat Odin with the following:

20100310-mxjq7589mrpxk5qrqhjpr4cjb9.jpg

MAN! That was soooooooo tough. The difficulty really really ramped up for that fight. I think a lot of casual players will stop playing at this point.

Dynamic3

DownLikeBCPowder said:

Does anyone else get a headache from the way the camera moves while in the exploration mode? My head is just in pain.. When the camera moves, it's not smooth at all really and seems like it's moving too fast. I can't quite pinpoint the problem but the motion looks "wrong" and it hurts :(

And I like Vanille.

I just don't like how it has weight to it since I like to viciously and quickly whip the camera to search for treasure chests. It's a minor complaint though.

My only true complaint so far is the wimpy sound effects mix, but I have been loving some of the music.

00011000 said:
MAN! That was soooooooo tough. The difficulty really really ramped up for that fight. I think a lot of casual players will stop playing at this point.

not that hard as long as you go
ravager/ravager, medic/medic or ravager/medic. Commando is useless.

Diablos

Wow, gotta love where Vanille's
seal
is! :lol

Anyway, first impressions:

-Amazing graphics, better than I thought! Seriously, my eyes are soaking in the glorious art direction.

-Battles start out extremely redundant, but now I'm at
Lake Bresha
and the roles seem to be opening up, etc.

-I love the battle system; right now I'm figuring out how to best develop everyone. The fast-paced nature of battles is quite nice.

-All the VA for the main characters, save Vanille, is REALLY impressive. You can tell they redid some/all parts after the trailers. Lightning sounds more sincere and less emo (i.e. compare "YEAH... RIGHT IN THERE!!!!" to the same words in the final product but much less angsty and out of place). Not sure what they were thinking when they cast Vanille, though. It's a phony mix of British and Australian. But everyone else, again, sounds great. Sazh and Hope especially.

-Really loving the story thus far. I love how you are just thrown into the middle of everything; it's kind of like they mixed up the progression of a typical JRPG story and placed you after events
that normally one would play through, instead they are fleshing out the climax and perhaps expanding upon that a bit

-Very, very disappointed that S-E decided to exclude volume control for BGM, voice, and sound effects. To me, it seems like the VA and sound effect volume is a bit too high and the music tends to get drowned out at times, which is a shame since FFXIII has the best OST in the series if you ask me.

LCfiner

DownLikeBCPowder said:

And I like Vanille.

Sounded pretty familiar to me too, but I can't pinpoint it

Voice of Kanji form P4. Troy Baker

LiK

DownLikeBCPowder said:

And I like Vanille.

the camera is terrible and the controls for it are wonky. if they pulled back a little and allowed us to change the speed of it then it would make it better, imo.

LCfiner said:
Voice of Kanji form P4. Troy Baker

i haven't played P4 yet so that doesn't help me ;)

I just finished Chapter 1 and I am enjoying the hell out of the game. The one thing that is kind of annoying, at least right now, is the limited battle system. It just seems that I really can't do anything other than attack and do basic other skills. Thanks everyone, for convincing me to go buy it today. :D

I have to agree with most people, the VA for Vanille is just annoying. :lol

About how long is Chapter 2 in comparison to Chapter 1? So far I am 1:30 in and I just
landed in the Pulse Fal'Cie with Hope and Vanille.

LiK

Big Papa Husker said:
I just finished Chapter 1 and I am enjoying the hell out of the game. The one thing that is kind of annoying, at least right now, is the limited battle system. It just seems that I really can't do anything other than attack and do basic other skills. Thanks everyone, for convincing me to go buy it today. :D

About how long is Chapter 2 in comparison to Chapter 1? So far I am 1:30 in and I just

takes awhile, it keeps teaching you new stuff. reminds me of Tales of Vesperia. gets better and more complex later

Diablos

Big Papa Husker said:

The battle system opens up; the game basically assumes you are a moron and forces you to take baby steps.

Cloudy

Banned
Put in 8hrs and 30 mins so far. Great game. I don't understand the hate.

Funny, I thought Hope might be my favorite character from the trailers but he's my least fave right now. What a whiny bitch. I like everyone else...even Vanille :D

Tamanon

Banned
LiK said:
the camera is terrible and the controls for it are wonky. if they pulled back a little and allowed us to change the speed of it then it would make it better, imo.

i haven't played P4 yet so that doesn't help me ;)

He was also Yuri from Tales of Vesperia and the guy from Red Faction.

Up to Chapter 7 now, finally some development on the "Lightning is ice-cold" front!

Firestorm

just on chapter 2 and some quick questions:

1) How do I do a pre-emptive strike? I hit X too quick and missed a page of battle tutorial so maybe it was there.
2) Is it okay if I skip most battles I can? I hear you don't level up anyway and the battle system is still "mash X to win"
3) Do they explain some of the backstory later or should I be reading all the datalogs?

Also, where do I input my Product Registration codes to get the PS3 and 360 exclusive items.

Big Papa Husker said:

It Crysto-hoosits system gets introduced
at the end of that area.

LCfiner

Firestorm said:

1) How do I do a pre-emptive strike? I hit X too quick and missed a page of battle tutorial so maybe it was there.
2) Is it okay if I skip most battles I can? I hear you don't level up anyway and the battle system is still "mash X to win"
3) Do they explain some of the backstory later or should I be reading all the datalogs?

Also, where do I input my Product Registration codes to get the PS3 and 360 exclusive items.

1. not sure. try to rush them from behind. unsure about X button timing on the field

2. you’ll use CP won from battles to level up. don’t skip them (it’ll be clear when you can level up)

3. so far, the datalogs have been pretty important in filling in details for some of the big story events.

D23

3 hours in and its already soooo much better than FF12.. im still shaking my head how that turd got better score than this.

but wow the graphics, story, battle system, soundtrack.. SO GOOOD!!!

Firestorm said:

1) How do I do a pre-emptive strike? I hit X too quick and missed a page of battle tutorial so
It's like in MGS. Stealth behind them and make sure you don't ! them. You dont need to press X, just touch them.

Firestorm said:

1) You attack an enemy from behind before they notice you, just like persona 3 and 4.

2) You don't actually level up until the Crysta-whatevah system is implemented so go ahead(though I think the enemies still drop items).

3) Yes, but reading helps.

Zzoram

00011000 said:
Just beat Odin with the following:

20100310-mxjq7589mrpxk5qrqhjpr4cjb9.jpg

How tough could it possibly be? It expected you to take 29 minutes to beat him but you did it in 2 minutes.

Firestorm said:

1) Approach an enemy without the WARNING popping up, you can do this by creeping up to their backs or using the smoke to make you invisible
2)You should fight as many battles as you can til your Crystarium grid is maxed for that chapter, after this point your progression is capped til you move forward in the story, you can farm for CP but you dont need to. It's not just mash X to win.
3)Read the datalogs, a lot of the story/exposition is left for those.

Zzoram

BlazingDarkness said:
wut? it's impossible to take 29 minutes in that battle

The screenshot you posted said the time to beat was 29 minutes to get 5 stars. You didn't even take 10% of that time.

Firestorm

Ohhh so I'm still earning CP or whatever it is but I just apply it once the system is introduced? I guess that makes sense. I'm usually fairly underlevelled in my RPGs so I think I'll continue skipping half the battles. I guess I can grind if it really comes down to it.

I know it's not mash X to win later, BlazingDarkness, but right now it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom