• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

got mine.. dived in for about an hour so far D: liking it but of course, it feels like run and press X at the moment. enjoyable? surprisingly yes. great visuals and music <3

3phemeral

Pre-emptive strike can also be achieved via Deceptisol. It's almost a full-proof way of getting it, but you rarely get access to any of it near the beginning of the game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
After 2 hours of play just chiming in to say, yes, this is still Final Fantasy, tards.

Good god some gamers are just too damn spoiled these days when something like this comes around and it gets shit on.

It is definitely giving me a FF 10 vibe. And i havent even gotten to the good stuff.

Phatcorns

Played about 5 hours of the Japanese version and am playing the English version finally. English is the shit man. So much better than trying to play in a non-native tongue.

~Kinggi~ said:
After 2 hours of play just chiming in to say, yes, this is still Final Fantasy, tards.

Good god some gamers are just too damn spoiled these days when something like this comes around and it gets shit on.

It is definitely giving me a FF 10 vibe. And i havent even gotten to the good stuff.

Yeah, unless this game suddenly becomes dramatically worse, I'm pretty sure I'm going to like this game quite a bit as I play along.

Delio

Well i must say after getting more options to play around with i loveee this. I'm about 8 hours in now and just cant stop playing O.O.

gkryhewy

Firestorm said:
Oh, I thought there'd be a different site for the avatar items people were talking about. My bad.

Oh okay -- I imagine you get a second code which you then redeem on the marketplace. Not sure, as the SE members site appears to be down, and so I haven't been able to try it.

Played about an hour so far - 360 version.

I am in love! I am almost 30 years old these days and I just don't have the time to walk around a world map and find a town to find a person just to advance the story, so I am in love with the linear design (I do understand why it makes some people mad)

I do not own a PS3 so I am so grateful to SE for porting it over, the graphics are simply amazing, you can see a little compression during videos but its really nothing.

Thank you Square! I have been waiting for this game since FFX

Cloudy

Banned
00011000 said:
MAN! That was soooooooo tough. The difficulty really really ramped up for that fight. I think a lot of casual players will stop playing at this point.

Huh? He was easier that the Shiva Sisters for me. Are you doing "Libra" to see how to beat enemies? If not, try that...

The voice acting is perfect, and I'm glad they did English lip sync. So far I'm not seeing anything to hate, other than Vanille being slightly weird.

LiK

Tamanon said:
He was also Yuri from Tales of Vesperia and the guy from Red Faction.

Up to Chapter 7 now, finally some development on the "Lightning is ice-cold" front!

ah Yuri.....really? awesome.

DarknessTear said:
The voice acting is perfect, and I'm glad they did English lip sync. So far I'm not seeing anything to hate, other than Vanille being slightly weird.

i think they're trying to make her like Rikku but she's nowhere near as sweet or as cool as Rikku from my 4 hours of playthru. hope she's more interesting later

FYI, if you guys played The Last Remnant, the lip sync for that game showed that S-E could do English lip syncs just fine :D

Lotan

A couple hours in and man this is a pretty cool game. For a Final Fantasy game the characters don't seam so over the top crazy...yet.

MrDaravon

Shadow780 said:
Amazon folks, which game are you putting the $10 credit you get from pre-ordering XIII?

I'll likely combine this with my $20 from BC2 and get Strange Journey for practically free. Gotta love Amazon :D

Got a little ways into Chapter 3, enjoying it so far but not far enough yet to have a strong opinion one way or the other. I will say that Vanille has possibly the most annoying VA and/or mannerisms of any game/jrpg I've played in a long-ass time, but she is starting to grow on me just a bit, if nothing else just because I'm curious what her deal is. I can definitely see the complaints now about the Crystanium (sp?) being somewhat limiting and artificial as opposed to say the License Grid, but the core combat idea and switching roles on the fly works pretty well.

survivor

Banned
Just a question, is it possible to turn off the minimap or not? I seem to rely on it too much and I wanna try to play without it. Maybe then I will get lost :lol

And omg at the way Vanille runs. So freaking hilarious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
survivor said:
Just a question, is it possible to turn off the minimap or not? I seem to rely on it too much and I wanna try to play without it. Maybe then I will get lost :lol
select button

RPGCrazied

I don't think she is an annoying character, but its the high pitched voice that ruins it.. for me

another VA on her, she could be light years better

survivor said:

And omg at the way Vanille runs. So freaking hilarious.
yeah you can turn the minimap off

LiK

RPGCrazied said:
I don't think she is an annoying character, but its the high pitched voice that ruins it.. for me

should've had Tara Strong aka Rikku :)

I'm in chapter 4 and I'm really impressed of the battle system. It's the best system in any FF game and one of the best JRPG battle systems ever.

I have a question. There is the possibility of loosing the platinum because you lost any chest in one of the first levels of the game or you didn't get any item from a boss battle?

RPGCrazied said:

She sounds weird to me because you can tell that it's the voice actress putting on a different voice, you know? Kind of difficult to explain but I guess it just doesn't sound that... natural? Something like that.

LiK

Baloonatic said:
She sounds weird to me because you can tell that it's the voice actress putting on a different voice, you know? Kind of difficult to explain but I guess it just doesn't sound that... natural? Something like that.

is it me or does her accent sorta come in and out? so odd.

cryptic

So how are the characters compared to 12?

Are they fairly mature like in that game with the exception of vaan or more along the lines of 10 or 10-2? I really hope the story can anchor the combat system which I hate oh so much because it's not an evolution of 12's such disappointment.

LiK said:
is it me or does her accent sorta come in and out? so odd.

Well I think the voice actress actually is Australian, which is what's so weird. But when she's delivering lines in a lower pitch it sounds fine and then she starts squealing and I want to kill myself.

LiK

cryptic said:

Are they fairly mature like in that game with the exception of vaan or more along the lines of 10 or 10-2? I really hope the story can anchor the regressed combat system.

more like 10

Baloonatic said:
Well I think the voice actress actually is Australian, which is what's so weird. But when she's delivering lines in a lower pitch it sounds fine and then she starts squealing and I want to kill myself.

:lol exactly what i was thinking.

BocoDragon

cryptic said:

Are they fairly mature like in that game with the exception of vaan or more along the lines of 10 or 10-2? I really hope the story can anchor the regressed combat system.
I wouldn't call the combat system regressed necessarily... it's one of the most advanced versions of the ATB yet.

Does anyone else love the little animated shots of the characters right before it freezes in the menus?

its little things like this that sets Final Fantasy games apart!

RPGCrazied

really.. the menus are slick

wtf with some guys tho, this game is fantastic. the only downside I see is the rush port of the 360 version. The story sure, isn't the best.. but welcome to jrpgs! I'm use to it, and would not have it any other way

LiK

cryptic said:
I will just have to get it and see.

it gets much complex later. the early sections don't show any of it. i'm having more fun now that more options are opened up.

JetBlackPanda said:
Does anyone else love the little animated shots of the characters right before it freezes in the menus?

i kept rewinding Vanille. would love a wallpaper of that shot.

JetBlackPanda said:

best part of the game... like hope, vanille and lights the best

Just started the game and I'm still up to chapter 1. Despite the impressive presentation I have to say I'm really disappointed in this so far. My main annoyances being:

1.) Mediocre battle music. Ever since FFX the music in the FF series has really gone downhill. This is probably the worst battle music for a mainline FF game in a long while.

2.) Where's the victory theme?

3.) So far all I've done in battle is hold down X to auto battle. I think once or twice I may have had to use a potion.

4.) Real heroes don't run!

5.) Vanille's voice acting. I don't believe I need to expand on this.

Anyone feel the same way? I really hope it gets better.

BocoDragon

cryptic said:
I will just have to get it and see.
It's really interesting.. the effect is completely different from any other game. You have to enter many commands very quickly and the effect is almost like playing a hardcore action game more than any other RPG.

RPGCrazied

lucablight said:
Just started the game and I'm still up to chapter 1. Despite the impressive presentation I have to say I'm really disappointed in this so far. My main annoyances being:

1.) Mediocre battle music. Ever since FFX the music in the FF series has really gone downhill. This is probably the worst battle music for a mainline FF game in a long while.

3.) So far all I've done in battle is hold down X to auto battle. I think once or twice I may have had to use a potion.

don't worry, it'll open up.. and you have to do more than autobattle.. or you'll get owned

For the guy asking where we're spending the 10 credit:

I'm getting God of War Collection for 20, which in turn gives me a 5 credit to GoW III, which in turn will give me a 10 toward the next game I buy.. . . into infinity..

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
lucablight said:

I do. I'm actually upset at the battle music thing. Like physically upset.

LiK

lucablight said:

keep going. like i said, the battle system gets better later. but to explain it more would be sorta spoilerish, imo.

BocoDragon

lucablight said:

WanderingWind said:
I do. I'm actually upset at the battle music thing. Like physically upset.

what? :lol

Man I really gotta stop coming into this thread :lol It's killing my soul.

JetBlackPanda said:

Yeah man, this game screams money and production values.

It really does feel like FF in just about every way. I'm kind of impressed actually, considering the expectations I had.

LiK

Asherdude said:
I'm actually happy that the victory music is gone. It always sounded so cheesy that it would send a chill up my spine.

yea, altho i guess they could've had a nice piano version or something.

and i still love the default battle music. i mean, it keeps ending before it starts up :lol

survivor

Banned
People hate the battle music? I sometimes delay the battle just so I can listen to the good parts of the battle music. Maybe it just doesn't compare to previous FF games, but since I never played any I guess I don't have any standards or experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom