• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
DangerousDave said:
Not really. She has very nice tits.

yikes.

ElFly said:
I wonder if I should stop reading the datalog.

The game must be a lot different without doing it.

so far (chapter 4) nothing in it seems spoilery, just clarifying and providing color. i think it's great and won't tell you anything you're not supposed to know yet.

LCfiner said:
soncerning the chapter 4 stuff. those enemies get knocked down more quickly if you use rav/sab. knock done their defense with deprotect and deshell then switch to rav/rav and see how quickly you can stagger them.

just in case you run into this situation again own the line.

Ah, I didn't think to use deprotect. Cheers.

is anyone else OCD like me? Everytime I get a "new datapad" notification I can NOT leave that menu screen until ALL the little exclamation points are gone! :lol :lol

for that reason, I wish they didn't do that for new items and such. It just gets irritating having to go into the menu and back out again every time I get a potion...

I got about 5-6 hours in last night... I'm near the end of chapter 4, I think. [spoilers]Right where Lighting and Hope split off from the rest to go to the Sanctum(??.) That is, the second time in the chapter they split up.[/spoilers]

Anyone got any favorite Paradigms yet? I like Smart Bomb (Rav/Rav/Sab) for staggering. I also like switching to Bully (Sab/Syn/Com) to buff up one character, and then switching to an all combat paradigm for doing damage against a single enemy, like a boss.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Played till right past the warmech enemy in chapter 3...

First few areas:
Area 1 (the skyway) - kinda plain looking
Area 2 - (the temple) - looks like a rejected FF12 map
Area 3 (bresha lake) - absolutely fucking gorgeous... Shocked

Well, the story isn't really doing anything for me right now, voice acting isn't bad but I dunno. I expected something a bit more gripping at first, but FF stories do take a while to develop. Last FF stories I really liked were 6, 7 and 9. Battle system, well for the first 2 chapters, it's basically mashing the X button. Unlocked the sphere grid and paradigm shift, but even the paradigm shift seems to be auto battle, then occasionally hit L1 to switch paradigms to a healing one when your HP is low. So the game still feels like its playing itself for me.

Not to mention, I dunno if I'm getting old, but the game feels extremely spastic, you turn left or right the camera spins around so fast it took me back to the original Kingdom Hearts. Camera control is also really sensitive too. Even though the areas are straight corridors, I like to look around and admire the scenery a bit.

But yeah, graphics and cinemas look mindblowing, everything else is extremely 'meh' so far. Lost Odyssey will still probably be this gen's best FF game.

Oh and Vanille is pretty hot :D

Durante

I just noticed that equipping 2 of the same type of accessory sometimes gives additional effects. Neat.

DigitalDevil said:
is anyone else OCD like me? Everytime I get a "new datapad" notification I can NOT leave that menu screen until ALL the little exclamation points are gone!
I do the same thing.

DigitalDevil said:
is anyone else OCD like me? Everytime I get a "new datapad" notification I can NOT leave that menu screen until ALL the little exclamation points are gone! :lol :lol

for that reason, I wish they didn't do that for new items and such. It just gets irritating having to go into the menu and back out again every time I get a potion...

:lol Me! Except inventory, b/c I don't give a fuck. But all the other ones, I actually stop to read or the enemy data I just click to get the notifications gone.

Quipp

Neo Member
I just read the best (and 'cheesiest') thread killer re: Final Fantasy XIII - XBOX 360 vs PS3 Faceoff response.

Mmmm...Cheesy Truth! :D

SolidSCB

This almost reminds me of an argument I was having with a Dairylea fanboy the other day.

You see, Cheesestrings started the whole 'peelable cheese' thing and for a time it was good. It was the only peelable cheese platform, so nobody argued. Then, Dairylea stepped in and said "I'm having me some of that action!" and got into the same market. Then people squabbled over it. You had some Cheesestring fanboys saying the anti-aliasing of the Dairylea peelables was rubbish (and they were right, they were just strips of fucking cheese stuck together by pressure). Then you had your Dairylea fanboys coming out with "It's the taste that counts, look at shitty fucking cheestrings with their 1 shitty product, Dairylea has way more range of products on our platform!" Cheesestring fanboys cried "Quality over quantity! Dairylea has a bunch of ugly looking, half arsed shit ported from our cheese platform!". Many side by side comparisons were made, which included strength, elasticity and the ability to make cheese shapes like the little cheese palmtree you could do. The arguments still continue to this day, because people have different tastes in what they want from a peelable lunch snack.

The moral of the story is this; we are all getting a piece of this cheese, so shut the fuck up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off/comments#comment1494840

Durante

acevans2 said:
Tips for the boss
Alpha Protoflorian
? This is outrageous. I hate this.
I beat him on the first try with 5 stars, so it can't be that hard! (
Odin
pwned me)
Standard stuff: use librascope in the beginning, then switch to a buff/debuff paradigm until sufficiently buffed, then switch to commando/ravager until stagger close enough, then ravager/ravager, then commando/ravager again once staggered. Switch to a medic/ravager or medic/commando whenever health drops too low (try to avoid medic/medic if possible so that you don't lose your built-up stagger points). That's it. Oh, I also had already done some weapon upgrading at that point, so if you haven't done any yet you might try that.

Empty

Odin beat my ass like six times in a row, dammit. Very tough.

After experimenting at the start i changed my paradigms to medic/ravager, but the opening was way too fast for me to heal quickly as i kept getting overwhelmed and knocked down, used phoenix downs to survive once but ran out of time. Eventually fought through with fast paced healing at the start, protecting hope as he fired magic before switching into ravager/ravager when he brought up his shield and finally won. Shit felt good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sometimes I wonder if Australian genki girls hit some kind of spot for some people that hipsters hit for others. I just don't think Vanille is that annoying.

Empty

ElFly said:
I wonder if I should stop reading the datalog.

The game must be a lot different without doing it.

A lot more sucky i'd imagine, i wouldn't have a clue what is going on with the story otherwise yet it is neatly explained in there, and it enriches the world so much. I'm addicted to reading it, which i weird because i never opened the codex up once in either Mass Effect game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Erasus said:
Read the datalog!

Up on Chapter 5 now and I love it. Battle system really opens up, and the story is more developed now. Cant say I have had troubles with any fight really.

Is it good to buff up/debuff at the start of a normal figh, or should I just go Rav/rav/rav?

RAV/RAV/RAV is kind of a dumb team to go with, even if you don't really see the reason early on. Without a Commando, the break bar (is it called stagger in the US version?) will drop in seconds if it's not hit, wasting all of that firepower you put into raising it.

ALWAYS compliment your RAV with a COM. COM doesn't raise the bar very much, but it does maintain it. Once a COM hits the enemy, the bar will drop much more slowly, allowing the team a couple seconds before their next turn.

As far as buff/debuff goes, if you have Sazh, there's no reason not to buff. He has haste, which will make fights go much faster. Hope has all defensive buffs, so it's not really worth it if you're trying to beat the battle clock.

I'm in a tough spot so I decided that I can only afford this game instead of this game and heavy rain and God of War. At least I'll get tons of playtime out of it.

I'm waiting on my 25 bucks off at amazon gift cert though. Then I can order and ship. The wait is actually starting to get to me.

Durante

Empty said:
A lot more sucky i'd imagine, i wouldn't have a clue what is going on with the story otherwise yet it is neatly explained in there, and it enriches the world so much. I'm addicted to reading it, which i weird because i never opened the codex up once in either Mass Effect game.
That is weird, I find them very similar (and I immediately read every new entry in both). FF13's is a bit more polished with a picture for each entry though, and it's also slightly more condensed.

thetrin said:
RAV/RAV/RAV is kind of a dumb team to go with, even if you don't really see the reason early on. Without a Commando, the break bar (is it called stagger in the US version?) will drop in seconds if it's not hit, wasting all of that firepower you put into raising it.

ALWAYS compliment your RAV with a COM. COM doesn't raise the bar very much, but it does maintain it. Once a COM hits the enemy, the bar will drop much more slowly, allowing the team a couple seconds before their next turn.
Yeah, it's called stagger. I think ravager only does make sense, but only after you've stacked up enough commando hits.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
painey said:
getting really tough at chapter 10. Becoming a bit of a grind fest.

if fights are getting really difficult around chapter 9/10, it's time to start upgrading weapons, even if only a bit. When you upgrade, you'll see an instant difference.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari said:
I liked the beginning of the game too :x
Later though, not so much.

But it was pretty... right? :lol

painey

thetrin said:
if fights are getting really difficult around chapter 9/10, it's time to start upgrading weapons, even if only a bit. When you upgrade, you'll see an instant difference.

I want to upgrade my weapons, but it seems there are many weapons that are pretty shit and I dont want to waste my limited resources.. only Lightning has a high level weapon because I know her Gladius is the best she gets.

Thrakier

Kagari said:
I liked the beginning of the game too :x
Later though, not so much.

You liked the beginning? How? Even the battle system doesn't shine in the beginning. There is like nothing...besdies running forward and pressing x.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thrakier said:
You liked the beginning? How? Even the battle system doesn't shine in the beginning. There is like nothing...besdies running forward and pressing x.

Beginning meaning the first 1/2 of the game.

thetrin

painey said:
I want to upgrade my weapons, but it seems there are many weapons that are pretty shit and I dont want to waste my limited resources.. only Lightning has a high level weapon because I know her Gladius is the best she gets.

None of the weapons are "better" than the other. They all accentuate different aspects of a character. My advice would be to pick one that best compliments the way you use a specific character, and upgrade it. Keep in mind that you're going to be sticking to only one weapon. There's never enough money in the game to upgrade all weapons (or even every character).

It's probably a good idea to start thinking about your final team now.

Scythesurge said:
When did you start to not like it?

I dunno what Kagari is smoking. Chapter 11 is the best part of the game.

K' Dash

Slacker said:
Word to everyone with the FFX comparisons, I got that impression too. I'm about four hours in and I'm loving every minute so far.

I'm surprised I haven't read any post regarding that the crystarium looks like and actualized version of FFX's Sphere Grid...

Sphere Grid

sphere_grid.jpg

Crystarium

crystarium1.jpg

Just up to chapter 6, so about 10-11 hours or so.

I really like it, in fact I'd say it's just outside my top 3 FFs at the moment. It's horrendously flawed, but I like it in spite of that.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Himuro said:
I was never expecting it to be GOOD but this is DREAFUL.

SERAH JUST BROKE UP WITH SNOW

Oh, the dram!

Square Enix presents Cocoon: 90210!

I wasn't supposed to highlight that but...

AMAHGAWDDDDDD

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Scythesurge said:
When did you start to not like it?

Chapter 11 is fine. I think towards the end of that though, and a little bit before that (end of chapter 10) I started having doubts... like there was so much potential wasted, and what not.

And yeah, the Serah/Snow story line is absolute garbage.

Himuro said:

Oh, the dram!

It's so bad it made you spell basic words improperly.

DAMN YOU.... lead writer guy....Which one of those hacks handled XIII's story anyway?

Durante

K' Dash said:
I'm surprised I haven't read any post regarding that the crystarium looks like and actualized version of FFX's Sphere Grid...
I posted something to that effect before. It's a 3D spere grid, maybe with slightly fewer branches (and a central branch point instead).

thetrin

Fimbulvetr said:
It's so bad it made you spell basic words improperly.

DAMN YOU.... lead writer guy....Which one of those hacks handled XIII's story anyway?

The one that wrote FFXII after Matsuno imploded.

burgerdog

Thrakier said:
My gf asked me about the combat while I was in ch2, so I gave her the ds3 and told her to just press X. She five star'd most fights and she's not into playing this type of game( only likes to play plants vs zombies and viva piñata.) Thats how bad the combat is in the beginning.

ULTROS!

Himuro said:

Oh, the drama!

Also, should we blame Toriyama, Watanabe or Nojima for this piece of crap?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Himuro said:
Can someone explain about a bunch of guys who live on the beach and serve people drinks turn into a bunch of hardasses who rebel against a government? :lol

Power Rangers: Final Fantasy!

Nora is even more ridiculous after this flashback episode.

Pretty much. :lol

belvedere

Junior Butler
Spruchy said:
When do I stop spamming auto battle? On chapter 4.

You're still doing it at chapter 4? That's not encouraging.

I was watching my wife play last night (she's almost through Chapter 1) and I was already asking myself when the auto spamming would stop and the battles would become more strategic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom