• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Durante said:
Every RPG except Planescape: Torment. Which is why it is as a god amongst mere mortals.

Well P:T is just the greatest example of good videogame writing, there are a few others but P:T is the king of their tiny island nation.

Mulberry

Stopped last night at the begining of Chapter 3. Seems like FF to me (haven't played one since FF9). Vanille is annoying and seems to be "Japan the Girl". I think maybe I'm missing something in translation.

I'm enjoying it so far.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got through that one part, but it seems my lack of sleep is impeding my ability to plan things out correctly so I'll go to sleep now. :lol

slayn said:
Does Nora actually succeed in doing... anything? I don't find it hard at all to believe in a bunch of beach bum idealists who consider themselves badasses but don't actually accomplish much of anything and no one but them cares.

Episode Zero explains it well - NORA were like a public militia mostly protecting citizens from wandering monsters, etc. They were alright with that, that is why they have some sort of combat experience, as opposed to PSICOM grunts, which is nicely explained in Chapter 3. I don't see why people are picking at this.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Himuro said:
:lol

Perfect summation.
I wonder if its almost intentionally done as square poking fun at themselves and jrpgs in general.

Hey guys lets have a group of no-training teenagers (with wacky colored hair and outfits no less) get together and fight the evil government and save the world just like always woo!... oh wait... they don't actually know what they're doing and everybody died

Zoe

Castor Krieg said:
Episode Zero explains it well - NORA were like a public militia mostly protecting citizens from wandering monsters, etc. They were alright with that, that is why they have some sort of combat experience, as opposed to PSICOM grunts, which is nicely explained in Chapter 3. I don't see why people are picking at this.

And IIRC, Lightning's role in the military was to do pretty much what Nora was doing--just at an official capacity.

Filldough

I was going to call in sick today to play. I have Fridays off so I figured I'd wait, but I regret that decision now. Think I'll go home early. Just unlocked Paradigms last night. Totally changes battle, I love it. Much faster paced and visually just a lot more fun to watch. I am enjoying it so far, story is interesting even though it makes little sense at this point. Vanielle and Hope are annoying haha. So far Hope's dialogue is 80% "uh... huh... mmmm... uh!" :lol

Cant wait to get home and play some more though!

painey

is there any point in trying to give a character a new class? The exp requirements seem so high even at the lowest level I can't see it ever being useful..4000exp for hp +1000 in a native class, or 1000exp for hp +10 in a new class..

Zoe

painey said:
is there any point in trying to give a character a new class? The exp requirements seem so high even at the lowest level I can't see it ever being useful..4000exp for hp +1000 in a native class, or 1000exp for hp +10 in a new class..

I wouldn't bother. Just hold onto your CP until you beat the final boss and then spend it on Level 5 stuff.

Empty

Oh wow, the Gapra Whitewood is just stunning, and the music is so beautiful there. Love it. The 'follow the lights' has to be Square mocking their design though, i actually laughed out loud when she said it.

Durante

SundaySounds said:
Is there even a remote chance of this getting ported to PC, or am I just deluding myself?
I think there's a very remote chance if they make a "international" version, but I certainly wouldn't wait for it.

Empty said:
Oh wow, the Gapra Whitewood is just stunning, and the music is so beautiful there. Love it.
It was maybe the most beautiful setting I had ever seen in a game (including graphics, art design and music)... until the next chapter!

Doc Evils

Oh god is this game cringe worthy. Not am I constantly being greeted by a cutscenes with automated gameplay (hello, how do you manage go backwards after 12?), but the whole damn characters feel like they're doing cosplay.

ugh, I not sure if I can bother to play any futher.

Vanille

painey said:

It's only ever useful for stat maxing at the end. Just focus on your primaries.

Mii

Banned
I am so confused as to why you all are complaining about this game. Perhaps you need to go back and play the FFs of the last 10 years and realize this is the RPG genre.

I'm at Lake Bresha, and already I see how this paradigm shift system will work very well. I feel this system plays more like FFX with active time battle than FFXII. The Paradigm Shifts are set up in such a way that you pretty much are controlling every character easily and quickly while maintaining the GREAT speed. This speed on top of practically no load times and AMAZING visuals makes this RPG feel like the best battle system Square has made since Chrono Trigger. I really could only wish for dual and triple techs at this point. Yes, the battles do start easy, but frankly that is the case with every RPG.

I also like how Square pretty much brought back the sphere grid but with a bit more freedom. There is a wider range of where to take characters now as you get 3 starting places instead of 1. This is about equivalent to opening the locks in the sphere grid, only with less hassle finding the rare item.

Those complaining about the 'straight corridor' problem, turn off/don't pay attention to the mini map. Without it, you wouldn't notice this problem nearly as much. The stages feel like FFX for the most part so far.

I'm not missing towns one bit as I feel the scenes provide plenty of dialogue between the characters and others. Some of these cutscenes are beautifully done as well. The
Day 11 Proposal Scene
is probably the best
love
scene in gaming. Also, when all these characters are together, they interact wonderfully. Granted, they still are corny and don't match up to Hollywood by any means in the acting category. Uncharted 2 is the only game out there with good acting (mostly due to their motion capture work imo). Characteristics that first seemed a bit ridiculous first meeting the characters actually become justified by later discoveries as well as comments in the datalog. Vanille still seems bizarrely out of place though. The game is no more ridiculous than any other RPG. Also, I can relate to these characters more than any in XII, X, IX, or VIII.

Interestingly, I get a big Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross vibe from this game. I've tried to determine why, and I think I know. CT had little focus on time in 'cities' as well; any cities/castles were frankly used just to facilitate a cutscene. Most of the game was straight-pathed, quick, fun action through gorgeously designed levels with no loading. This sounds familiar. This game has successfully cut the excess crap RPGs added in the 3d generations that tried make them more than RPGs.

I'm loving this so far.

Chrange

Banned
Mii said:
Those complaining about the 'straight corridor' problem, turn off/don't pay attention to the mini map. Without it, you wouldn't notice this problem nearly as much. The stages feel like FFX for the most part so far.

I tried that after accidentally turning the map off, but then I wound up wondering why there were all those invisible walls preventing me from going places that are clearly wide open. With the map on, I never bothered trying to go anywhere I wasn't supposed to.

Himuro said:
When do dungeons more than follow this path and employ, I don't know, a puzzle or two?

You have the right to bitch, but I just wonder if you ever stop? I mean... all your posts are pretty damn negative, and again thats fine, but holy shit... maybe its time you just stopped playing the game at this point. /rant edit*I'm in a irritable mood today so sorry if this comes off dick-ish, not my intention but really, why are you still playing?*

This game has my opinions on a roller coaster. I really start getting into everything, but then some cheesy dialogue from Snow (whom I hate more that Vanille right now) ruins everything. Blah blah Hero blah blah Hero....

I want to strangle some of these characters.

Then, more of the story unfolds, the combat gets slightly better, and then I think "Hey, this really is a good Final Fantasy....and then Vanille will pop up and ruin it all.

I really have no idea what to think at this time. I'm about 4 hours in and I'm NOW just getting some more abilities.

Graphics, settings, music, story (at least the part I can understand) are top notch, but the dialogue is such crap so far. How much longer until it gets much better?

(Keep in mind I've been playing FF since the 1st one on NES. I disliked VIII, X, and X-2)

Played about four or five hours yesterday.

My thoughts so far:

Graphics are beautiful of course.

I like the fighting system. Reminds me of FFX-2 and even Tales of Vesparia, how you can quick switch to defense or offense. I think I like 12's system better still but we'll see how I feel layer on.

The music isn't the greatest in the series, imo. The main battle theme sounds more appropriate for the opening of an anime. There is a level with crystal water that sounds like hints of something from a Pixar cartoon and I really hope that's not Sazh's theme that sounds like it should be in a BBQ sauce commercial, with the harmonica and shit. The rest is decent but nothing really stands out.

The characters are cool. Snow is hot headed, Lightning is Cloud, but she hits too much. I guess they figure since she's a woman that that's ok or something. I would have been beating her ass if I was Snow or Sazh. Vanilla sounds Australian sometimes and Ameeican other times. She will be a good healer. Hope is the typical whiny kid. Sazh does seem to be the most knowledgeable and grounded one of the group, so far. He is actually turning out to be my favorite because of his attitude. Square Enix is full of surprises. I still cringe when I see that damn chocobo in his hair though.

I'm also enjoying the linear dungeons. I just don't have time to be running around in circles the whole game. Maybe a few here and there, but I'm fine with how it is right now.

Story seems on par with every other FF before it.

Pretty much, I'm enjoying the game right now and those are my thoughts.

Kaldea

mcdomination said:
I want to strangle some of these characters.

Then, more of the story unfolds, the combat gets slightly better, and then I think "Hey, this really is a good Final Fantasy....and then Vanille will pop up and ruin it all.
This is basically my impressions so far as well. Vanille is so incredibly annoying that it's just ruining everything for me. I'd take a worse Hope over her.

Also, we need a drinking game for each time the words "hero" and "Serah" are said.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
FF10 had those sphere puzzle dungeons. Granted they weren't very good, but at least they tried I guess.

Yeah I'm not a fan of dungeons that are basically just a corridor. They look beautiful, the battles are fun, but corridor dungeons suck. Having to use your brain is a good thing.

Terrific OT and game. I'm lovin it! I'm around 3 hours into the game and I got couple of questions. Just went over the Paradigm Shift and Crystarium tutorials:

Party: It seems that I can control only the party leader in battle. Is this always the case? I think that I've been alright up till now because I'm still in the tutorial phase, but I fear that later battles would require ton of coordination.

Crystarium: If I press and hold X, the line is automatically crossed. But if I have a junction with two lines, how do I select which line to cross? The tutorial told me I can select with d-pad, but it didn't work.

Roles: Do I have to level up my roles wisely, or can I interchange between them? For example, I want Snow as a tank and I'll fully level up the Sentinel (I think?) class. But can I also level him as a black mage?

Vanille: What the fuck?

Aretak

Chapters 4 and 5 are seriously bad. Uninteresting locations that sprawl on seemingly forever, with the same 3 or 4 enemies in every battle. It's like the Sandseas from XII all over again.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
RustyNails said:
Crystarium: If I press and hold X, the line is automatically crossed. But if I have a junction with two lines, how do I select which line to cross? The tutorial told me I can select with d-pad, but it didn't work.

Use the left stick.

Zoe

RustyNails said:

Are you holding X at the same time?

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Anyone have any tips for weapon upgrades? I just got it and on a lark I decided to upgrade Lightings weapon using all the stuff in my inventory that I had. I ended up with a level 45 weapon. Is this how it's supposed to be? If so what's the incentive to experiment and explore if any scrape item will boost any weapon?

I played about an hour and half last night and here are a couple of my initial impressions.

The game is beautiful.
Snow is a major douche. I hope he becomes less of one as the game goes on. So far he is a little to "bro" for my taste.
The chocobo in the afro is a bit much. It's more of "lol Japan" than anything.
I like the fighting system so far. I can't wait to get more involved with the system than the early introductory stage.

So far I'm enjoying myself. There really isn't anything deal breaking for me yet and I'm glad I finally have the game.

7Th

Himuro said:
I think I'll play FF6 instead.

FF6 has terrible dungeons that basically just work as some lazy, badly designed separation between repetitive boss battles. They don't have any puzzles, either.

Y2Kev said:
Sometimes I wonder if Australian genki girls hit some kind of spot for some people that hipsters hit for others. I just don't think Vanille is that annoying.

You also played the game in Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom