• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
desu said:
Exactly, and you can farm Gil in Chapter 7 & 9 so thats early enough.

There's no point in farming gil before ch.11

In ch.11 you get like 3 million. It makes everything up until then pointless.

Zzoram

There is a shortcut in Ch3 you can take that causes the enemies to respawn. I guess it means you can grind a bit there, but I bet the CP they give isn't worth much.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Just got to Chapter 9. Game is picking up steam right now. Man, that middle part was a complete shit storm. But seriously, it's kind of worth it to tough it out, because the plot is really getting good.

And man, that battle system. Fuck yeah. Carries the whole game. So fucking good.

remz

FFX's story had me hooked right to the end, FFXIII just isn't capturing that, partly due to the characters dialogue is rather crappy.
The dialogue and VA in this is way better then X

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Himuro said:
But the worldview in FF10 stomps FF13's.

So it's pretty even.

And I'd say FF10 has better dialogue. At least it doesn't have "Fal'cie" "L'Cie" crap.
It hast Fayth, but at least you know what they're talking about. They needed to have them be a little more different I would say, like Fal'Cie and Not'Cie :lol

oh crap, that sounds like nazi

Himuro said:

So it's pretty even.

And I'd say FF10 has better dialogue. At least it doesn't have "Fal'cie" "L'Cie" crap.

I don't think 2 universe-specific words should be a measure for dialogue quality.

Though I do agree with you about 10 having better dialogue. It felt more natural in the context of the world.

cosmicblizzard said:
He's definitely up there. I don't think I would call him my favorite just yet but I'll definitely never forget him.

Yeah, Sazh is the only character that I care about at the moment, his dialogue is really natural. I don't get the Vanille hate, she's just Rikku with a sexy Aussie accent...Dont like Hope though, hate whiny kids :mad:

Himuro said:

So it's pretty even.

The terms are confusing at first but you get it eventually, FF10 didnt really even have a world view so its going to be interesting when I see 13's...

TheCardPlayer

PumpkinPie said:
Yeah, Sazh is the only character that I care about at the moment, his dialogue is really natural. I don't get the Vanille hate, she's just Rikku with a sexy Aussie accent...Dont like Hope though, hate whiny kids :mad:

I love everyone except Snow and goddamn Hope. They both had their big emotional moment that is supposed to excuse their stupidity but...nah.

They fail!

Oh and the dude I had pegged as final boss from the trailers

Chapter 7 spoilers

gets killed after 2 scenes! Oh boy! Hahahahahaha!

Just started Chapter 4 and enjoying it. I LOVE THE MUSIC it kicks @ss.

This only being my 2nd FF game that I've ever played, FF10 being my 1st which I loved back in 2002 which took my 103 hrs to complete. Loved every minute of it.

FF13 reminds me so much of FF10 which is a good in my opinion, I just hope its better than FF10.

I did start FF7 in November hoping to play and catch up on the FF games 7-12 but CODMW2 ruined my experiance I'm at 20 hrs and haven't touched it since

After I finish FF13 and GOW 2 + 3 I'm gonna have to re-start FF7 all over again. Than play all the other FF games :D

Dresden

Snow is a cool dude. I like him. "WE MUST SAVE SERA" "YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT SNOW" ";_;"

Loving this game. My rose-tinted goggles are enabling me to ignore all the things it does wrong. I really love the Retry feature (no more backtracking after dying on bosses! muahahahahaha) and I love the abundance of save points. I still remember crawling through the stairset to get Eden on FF8, when I didn't really understand junctions. What a fucking pain it was.

kyo_daikun said:
Snow reminds me of Zell, not a good link lol.

So THAT'S why I like him so much. I've been trying to figure it out. Yeah, he's definitely like Zell. Maybe a bit stupider and without the self-esteem issues but definitely similar.

cosmicblizzard said:
So THAT'S why I like him so much. I've been trying to figure it out. Yeah, he's definitely like Zell. Maybe a bit stupider and without the self-esteem issues but definitely similar.

Im sure I saw him do the Zell smile in the first 2 chapters as well, if he had done the thumbs up as well it would have been game over.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Vect said:
Snow needs to kill himself. I hate him. WE MUST PROTECT COCOON. WE MUST SAVE SERAH. SERAHHHHHHHHHH
There's really no reason for him to be here other than her, he's really a shell of a character.

TheCardPlayer

Himuro said:
Still obtuse writing. Fayth is simplistic.

Yeah, this is kind of being an hypocrite now. :lol Let's face it, the franchise stopped making sense, a very long time ago.

rinker

Anyone got a link to somewhere with good upgrade information? (I saw some from the jp version, but item names don't seem consistent) Like what gives XP Bonus and what takes way the bonus, what is needed to upgrade a star-level item, what components you get when you destroy something, etc..

Or if the answers are simpler than I think, would someone care to explain? I'm specifically curious about: Is there a type of component that is only used to upgrade star-level items or does it very from item to item? also is it possible to use this item accidentally on a non-star item. When you destroy an item, do you get more materials back if it is a higher level item?

rinker said:
Anyone got a link to somewhere with good upgrade information? (I saw some from the jp version, but item names don't seem consistent) Like what gives XP Bonus and what takes way the bonus, what is needed to upgrade a star-level item, what components you get when you destroy something, etc..

Or if the answers are simpler than I think, would someone care to explain? I'm specifically curious about: Is there a type of component that is only used to upgrade star-level items or does it very from item to item? also is it possible to use this item accidentally on a non-star item. When you destroy an item, do you get more materials back if it is a higher level item?

No good guide with English names yet, I understand by Jp version you mean this:

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10251

Colored Jelly got changed to Virulent Oil in the English version. 36 of them will give EXP bonus 300%.

As for your other questions: yes, components marked as "transformation material" are used to upgrade Star items, they vary from item to item. You cannot use it on non-Star item, they are not highlighted for selection.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
In the end, the complaint about the linearity holds true, for better or for worse. I do find it to be the only thing about the game which is a little tiring. I'm yearning for a little freedom, and there isn't any. The towns and overworld which used to break up the action are gone, and to take an analogy from music, it was the space between notes. XIII is like one big dungeon, or musically, like someone holding down one note for the entire song.

I have no complaints about any of the art, characters, storyline, music. I eat it all up. Hope was annoying, but he seems to be coming into his own, so that's good. You know how I feel about Vanille. <3

In the end I enjoy it a lot- I think it's a wonderful experience and I don't agree with any suggestion that it's bad, it's just very different.. but it simply can't be my favorite FF as I haven't been as glued to it as I have to other FF games when they were new. Perhaps I just have an urge to explore a town between dungeons... and this game forces me to explore the one I have in real life. :p

Himuro said:
I didn't say it didn't. But it's true. FF10 eases the player in the world of Spira with great fashion. It's mysterious, it's fantastical, and yet familiar (to Tidus, through Blitzball). The game goes great lengths to make you fall in love with that place and it does a fantastic job and at the base of this is simplicity that is not found in FF13. To understand anything anything in 13, I have to read a datalog.

From personal experience, I have found FF13 to be far less convoluted than FFX.

Everything in the datalog is explain by dialogue. Usually at a later time. The datalog gives more background, and the answers come sooner, but the gist of it is explained by dialogue.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
x
hlacV.gif
x
VjQYc.gif
x
1X36B.gif
x
mI4Cn.gif
x
tGUhK.gif
x
QhSh0.gif
x
r6JWl.gif

x
g8DTj.gif
x
onYpe.gif
x
wyK5F.gif
x
oRRnj.gif
x
eV4kj.gif
x
Jf3ox.gif
x
OdhuE.gif

nRItS.gif

HbTrA.gif

The ones with X's have been claimed.

Well, I'm loving the game so far (beginning of Chapter 5).

I seem to be at odds with the rest of GAF. I love both Vanille and Snow. In fact, I'm enjoying all of the cast so far. They each have their ups and downs, but they're all good in their own way. Lightning is a good protagonist and I'm finding her attitude to be refreshing compared to most other lead characters in FF games. Snow is a great juxtaposition to her; the cheerful and optimistic guy who I can't help but feeling for. Sazh is the realistic of the bunch and probably the one I'm liking the most so far, while Vanille is cute and has a lot of great moments. I didn't like Hope at first but I'm coming around on him.

The battles have been fun and I'm really digging a lot of the systems. The Paradigm Shifting adds a new layer of strategy to the combat, and I like the Crystarium. Weapon upgrading is neat, but I feel like I'm still feeling around in the dark in regards to that.

I also love reading through the datalog. There's so much material in there, and I think the world and lore are crafted out in a really good way.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, I'm loving the game so far (beginning of Chapter 5).

I seem to be at odds with the rest of GAF. I love both Vanille and Snow. In fact, I'm enjoying all of the cast so far. They each have their ups and downs, but they're all good in their own way. Lightning is a good protagonist and I'm finding her attitude to be refreshing compared to most other lead characters in FF games. Snow is a great juxtaposition to her; the cheerful and optimistic guy who I can't help but feeling for. Sazh is the realistic of the bunch and probably the one I'm liking the most so far, while Vanille is cute and has a lot of great moments. I didn't like Hope at first but I'm coming around on him.

The battles have been fun and I'm really digging a lot of the systems. The Paradigm Shifting adds a new layer of strategy to the combat, and I like the Crystarium. Weapon upgrading is neat, but I feel like I'm still feeling around in the dark in regards to that.

I also love reading through the datalog. There's so much material in there, and I think the world and lore are crafted out in a really good way.

Agree with everything you said 100%. I honestly think this game might have the strongest cast in the series.

Zzoram

I think part of the problem with Vanille is that her accent is inconsistent. It seems to change during some scenes and it bugs me a lot.

cosmicblizzard said:
Agree with everything you said 100%. I honestly think this game might have the strongest cast in the series.

I think that's a pretty strong possibility, although I'm waiting until I've gotten further to commit 100% to saying that. The lack of a Quinna or Kimahri character dragging the rest of the cast down is a definite plus. I can't think of any other game in the series where I've really enjoyed everyone as much as I do in this one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zzoram said:
I think part of the problem with Vanille is that her accent is inconsistent. It seems to change during some scenes and it bugs me a lot.
It's an Australian girl doing....an Australian accent. It's your perception.

If they just toned down her particular brand of mania to say, Rikku level, I wouldn't have a problem with her.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Zzoram said:
The voice actress is actually Australian though.

edit: sorry... beaten by 15 mins ><

remz

Learning two whole terms (Fal'cie and L'cie) which are drilled into your head by characters that repeatedly tell you their meanings over and over is no big deal IMO.

I don't like that a lot of the other back-story and lore are relegated to the Datalog though. I imagine this is a side effect of the lack of towns and random civilians to shoot the shit with and give you info, but I still think it could've been better integrated into the actual game parts.

g23

European pre-madonna
I haven't played a JRPG since Suikoden II. All i gotta say is that this fu*(*ng dialogue is horrible.

And I hate that fucking annoying retarded sailor moon kid...jesus. Can you not insult my intelligence any further square?!?!

Damn this game is a lot more fun then I expected it to be. A FF game that is actually kind of challenging. I think BFBC2 have to sit out for a while.

Styles

Battles are amazing in chapter
, gaining an extra member really ramps things up. Can't put my controller down.:lol

Korey

Just finished my first play session and am near the first save point in Chapter 2, the
ice lake
. Few questions:

1) When does the battle system get really good like I'm hearing? I just received the Paradigm Shift and Crystal leveling. Does it start getting good here or is it somewhere else down the line?

2) Is there an auto-level option for crystalgenesis if you don't want to bother with it? At least for your team-mates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom