• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Livin_Lovin said:
What the fuck was that Sailor Moon shit with
Vanille coming out of her crystal sleep
? Like, REALLY?! I didn't mind her character all that much and then that shit happened.

:lol

Le-mo

omfg, I can't stand her no more. I want to strangle the shit out of Vanille. her gah damn voice is so annoying. i can't believe Square-Enix couldn't find a better voice actor. every time i hear her speak i just wanna mute the t.v. and tear my hair out. please fix this shit in the next installment square-enix.

Wow, after playing Final Fantasy XIII for a little while now and reading the reviews, I can't help but feel that some of the reviewers either have; come to the realization that they do not like JRPGs, do not like JRPGs any longer, or never liked JRPGs in the first place.

Kyoufu said:
Thats what I thought too until I got past the first 6 or so hours then the battle system really opened up (once you get 4 ATB bars). Then it became the best birthday ever. :D

lol, I was quoting a line you'll see.

I really like it so far.

corkscrewblow said:
:vomit

He's tied with Hope for worst imo.
2d2di1i.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sazh is alright aside from his apparent flat top fro. That really bothers me for some reason. Get an afro pick, Sazh!

Le-mo

Dresden said:
Vanille would be far more tolerable if Sera's voice actor got her job. Laura Bailey=troof. Australian chick=no truf.
Hell, I wouldn't even mind if Nolan North had voiced Vanille.

Bebpo

Banned
Kagari said:
:lol That's probably the easiest one, yo. Remember: it's all about the roles.

you people and your easy time with summons :mad:

That fight was damn hard for me! Only summon fight I died on....many times.

ezekial45

Banned
ezekial45 said:
I'm about 3 hours in and i'm liking it much more than i thought i would. :D

Few questions though;

I just beat the Alpha Behemoth at this temple like place after the lake area.

1. Does the game lock parts of the crystalium? I've already maxed out several roles for the nearly all my party members. Will it unlock it level 2 and so on or will i just get more roles?

2. Are there more roles unlocked later in the game? So far i just have Ravager, Commando, Medic, and that other one that i forget the name for. Hope has it.

3. How the hell do i get Gill? Do i have to sell items like in FFXII? I have a credit chip and circuit items. Are those items intended to be sold?

4. I noticed that weapons and accessories have lvls and exp. What do i have to do to level them up?

5. For those that have already beaten the game, are there optional dungeons? Sort of in the vein of Omega Ruins or the Necrohol of Narbudis. Just completely stand alone areas that offer a real challenge.

This game is pretty similar to FFX in structure (so far). Which isn't bad, because i adored that game when it came out.

Anyone?

Lightning

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
Wow, after playing Final Fantasy XIII for a little while now and reading the reviews, I can't help but feel that some of the reviewers either have; come to the realization that they do not like JRPGs, do not like JRPGs any longer, or never liked JRPGs in the first place.
How do you figure this?

FFXIII is way to linear, has little to no puzzles, very repetitive and the story is not engaging at all are these what JRPG's have always been about?

Styles

ezekial45 said:

Yes, it will be unlocked after each chapter, or segment

Yes

You sell those credit chips that you get from the PSICOMS

Need to unlock the Upgrade system if you haven't already

Don't know.

And wow at that
confrontation between Vanille and Sazh
, pretty touching really. :O

Mandoric

Banned
ezekial45 said:

1. Yes, there are a total of ten Crystarium levels. Each is unlocked at the end of a chapter.

2. There are a total of six roles; you're going to get one for debuffs and one for tanking.

3. Gil is primarily obtained through item sales. Items intended to be sold will have "can be sold for a good amount of money at the shop" or something similar in their name, or at least they did in the Japanese version. Credit chips are this type, most other mechanical debris isn't.

4. You will soon unlock an upgrade function that works at save points. It's a three-part system where natural items increase a bonus EXP multiplier, mechanical items give a lot of EXP, and certain rare materials turn a level capped item into a new, stronger item.

5. There is a single branching side-dungeon available from chapter 11 on.

Lightning said:
How do you figure this?

FFXIII is way to linear, has little to no puzzles, very repetitive and the story is not engaging at all are these what JRPG's have always been about?

EVERY JRPG IS REPETITIVE. I seriously never understand this argument. I love them as much as anyone else, but come on. I would actually make the case that it isn't repetitve. I have yet to level up at all. The only thing repetitive is there are, indeed, no town break-ups. But other RPGs become repetitive in other ways.

The lack of puzzles is disappointing, I agree. Just a few would have been nice.

The linear thing is really not bothering me. If you take out the map, it feels less linear. It is undoubtedly still straight-line stuff, but there are sometimes other gaps in the path. I missed one once and I was confused where I was at once!

OK, the story thing, I don't even know. In terms of engagement, this is possibly the most in-your-face, "engaging" RPG I've played in quite a while.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Chamber said:
Sazh is alright aside from his apparent flat top fro. That really bothers me for some reason. Get an afro pick, Sazh!
4qn8r9.jpg

He should have been like this though:
28wji3c.jpg

amazing, I know

Firestorm

Kagari said:
At this rate, Versus XIII could be a PS4 launch title!
On the way home I was talking about FFXIII/HR with my friends and some dude started piping up about how Sony was releasing the PS4 next year and that he read it "on the internet" but couldn't find any previews.

I think he's an insider. PS4 + Versus XIII in 2011!

Although he did ask us for change to buy food after that and then left.

hateradio

Firestorm said:
On the way home I was talking about FFXIII/HR with my friends and some dude started piping up about how Sony was releasing the PS4 next year and that he read it "on the internet" but couldn't find any previews.

I think he's an insider. PS4 + Versus XIII in 2011!

Although he did ask us for change to buy food after that and then left.
Versus will stay on the PS3, unfortunately (or not actually, hopefully it will have better textures than XIII).

I don't see why PS4 is such a big deal though, I mean it would just feature current gen PC graphics, and lack DX11 (whether this matters or not is not might be another issue) features since it would be OpenGL-based (most likely).

Himuro said:
I love this argument.

So so so much.

It's such a dumb argument I get a laugh out of it anytime someone brings it up.

What you're saying is,"Every jrpg is repetitive, so the solution to fixing repetitive gameplay is by stripping down features, making the dungeons hallway corridors, not allowing any exploration at all, and making the core game structure an endless string of battles with little variation."

jrpgs are repetitive just like any other type of rpg, but FF13's way of doing things is not a solution. Stop acting like it is and defending it.

I am not acting...why would you say that? It's not like I earn something if I make FFXIII sound like it's better than what it is.

I agreed that the puzzles missing is problematic, and I know about all the other complaints. I am just saying the "repetitive" thing doesn't make sense. One week ago, I was playing Phantasy Star II. That, is repetitive. Every dungeon requires me to waste an hour or so leveling up (slight exaggeration). This seems to filter out that stuff.

Edit: As far as that level thing goes, I am only on ch 4, so I am just saying it as it comes.

Synless

24 hours in, CH.10, CP grid maxed for now. I think my mind is melting......Great game though. I don't think I could ever dedicate enough time to get a platinum in this though. It will take me forever.

Bebpo

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Ugh I cannot fucking beat the CHapter 7 boss

in the plaza
I don't have enough potions!! Ughhh

I don't have any tips, but just keep trying different stuff. You never have to use a potion the entire game after the tutorial ch.1

Lightning

Banned
Why I say FFXIII is repetitive is I'm either fighting or cutscene. Leveling via the Crystarium distracts one for mere seconds, simply select the paradium you want to focus on and press X to level.

The fact that the shops, upgrading of weapons etc is done through save points just further empathises what this game exactly want's you to focus on.

What I mean about the story is that it simply is not gripping me to care about it. FFX's story had me hooked right to the end, FFXIII just isn't capturing that, partly due to the characters dialogue is rather crappy.

For me, certain characters and the battle system save this game from being a total waste but it does deserve the flack it's getting. I can only wonder what could have and should have been with this game...

Bebpo said:
I don't have any tips, but just keep trying different stuff. You never have to use a potion the entire game after the tutorial ch.1
its true.. except dude aint a medic. but yeah i just keep trying things and it worked out.

Snow redeemed BTW
wink to lighting so badass

Lightning said:
Why I say FFXIII is repetitive is I'm either fighting or cutscene. Leveling via the Crystarium distracts one for mere seconds, simply select the paradium you want to focus on and press X to level.

The fact that the shops, upgrading of weapons etc is done through save points just further empathises what this game exactly want's you to focus on.

What I mean about the story is that it simply is not gripping me to care about it. FFX's story had me hooked right to the end, FFXIII just isn't capturing that, partly due to the characters dialogue is rather crappy.

For me, certain characters and the battle system save this game from being a total waste but it does deserve the flack it's getting. I can only wonder what could have and should have been with this game...

I understand now thanks to your elaboration. Maybe it's because I don't have time to play as many RPGs nowadays (I thought I'd never say that...*sigh*...) but the structure is working for me at the moment.

Einbroch

Banned
Zzoram said:
There isn't really anything to spend Gil on anyways early on.
By early I mean through Chapter 7 (where I am). I'm constantly running on empty even by just upgrading a few weapons and buying a few accessories.

hateradio

FateBreaker said:
I understand now thanks to your elaboration. Maybe it's because I don't have time to play as many RPGs nowadays (I thought I'd never say that...*sigh*...) but the structure is working for me at the moment.
FFXIII: The RPG for people that have shit to do :lol

Ironically, this game isn't working for me at all, so far. :-*

Kronotech

Just opened the Crystarium. I'm slow. At first I thought the battles were getting repetitive (knowing that it would get better) but now the battles go too fast. I go two rounds with the ATB and the battle is already over.

I play too good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom