• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Kyoufu said:
The game is pretty easy until a few fights later on which require near-perfect strategy and execution.

Like the boss I'm on right now. I thought the previous boss before it was tough but holy guacamole this one is a cockblock.

nice, looking forward to a real fight :D

Himuro said:
Like for example, I just fought chapter 7 boss and could only stagger him ONCE

0 STAR RATING

hmm.. I just beat this boss..
once you dismantle its turrets and hull then beat on it a bit, it opens its main gun and its stagger limit becomes 200%, instead of 999% - once it does that you're home free to stagger it constantly. It also starts spamming its Main Cannon attack but that's easy to ignore with syn buffs up. Duration was 6:48 out of 10:17, 5 stars. Unless you're talking about one of the earlier bosses.. don't worry about making Snow a sentinel, all you need is rav, com, syn, and med

This feature might help some people struggling.. it makes the game a lot easier.

Paradigm Cancel - Switching to any Paradigm config after charging a full bar in another Paradigm config results in a free fully charged ATB bar. Charge - switch - free - charge - switch - free, etc. You can do this with two Paradigms of the same type, so it's sometimes beneficial to have two RAV/RAV/RAVs to switch between, or something similar.

Kyoufu said:
39 hours through the game.

All was well until.......

CHAPTER 11 COCKBLOCK BOSS OMG I HATE MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!

Not only does the fight take so long, but also the fact that I keep wiping at 20%. So frustrated.
holy shit is chapter 10 long?... i just got to chapter 10 and only 18 hours in

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RS4- said:
I've had a 40gb for 2 years. Game would freeze and just flash red, so I'll assume it's either overheating or something about the HDD.

I tried it again half an hour later, played for about 2 mins, red lights again. I'll wait until tomorrow mornin and see what's up =\

Do other games give you the same issue?

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
39 hours through the game.

All was well until.......

CHAPTER 11 COCKBLOCK BOSS OMG I HATE MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!

Not only does the fight take so long, but also the fact that I keep wiping at 20%. So frustrated.

With that kind of clock time you must have done some hunts, right? You should be good level-wise. Did you do the sidequest and get the money and upgrade your weapons? That makes a pretty big difference stat-wise.

I dunno, I had done about 20 hours worth of hunts before moving on and I completely destroyed that guy in 2-3 mins. He was the first enemy where I got to see the results of my 20 hours of leveling and I was definitely satisfied.

RS4-

neojubei said:
Do you have your ps3 in an enclosed space?

nope, wide open on my desk. But yeah, like I said, first time in 2 years lol; I haven't used my ps3 in a few weeks too. Bleh, I'll post tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Kagari said:
Do other games give you the same issue?

I'll pop in SFIV and see what happens.

Pappasman said:
is there any way to shut off the mini map?

select/back

Himuro said:
Different boss. I haven't fought that one yet. I fought like, a flying dragon thing with Snow/Hope.
you should make a duelcasters paradigm when you have snow in your group... that way you can raise the stagger bar faster

RS4-

Himuro said:
I do. Didn't help. It was weak against thunder, Snow didn't have thunder.

I think I had Hope use his Syn buffs, barfire I think? Whatever gave me fire resistance. Never had to heal often, took the boss down in under 2 minutes.

Com/Syn
Com/Rav for half a bar
Rav/Rav for stagger, then switch back to Com/Rav

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is Lightning just overpowered? I just noticed that whenever I have Lightning vs. anyone else, all the battles are just smash auto-battle and heal a little; whereas with others, i.e. Sazh/Vanille, I have to to the debuff dance etc.

Dynamic3

One more question:

Does mixing up your abilities in a certain way (ie. Fire-Flamestrike-Fire as opposed to Fire x3) make the chain gauge fill quicker. I noticed that sometimes when I use auto it does a mix, even when the enemy has no particular weaknesses.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
With that kind of clock time you must have done some hunts, right? You should be good level-wise. Did you do the sidequest and get the money and upgrade your weapons? That makes a pretty big difference stat-wise.

I dunno, I had done about 20 hours worth of hunts before moving on and I completely destroyed that guy in 2-3 mins. He was the first enemy where I got to see the results of my 20 hours of leveling and I was definitely satisfied.

I just beat it holy shit. So apparantly my strategy was wrong. The first boss that really made me debuff it to become a clear winner.

What I love about this game is the battle system. It employs not only flashy action but also strategy at the same time. This is easily my favourite form of the ATB. It has been a long time since I've had such sweaty epic boss fights.

KTallguy

Banned
Himuro said:
It has nothing to do with wanting the same thing over and over again.

Other Final Fantasy games aren't fucking Morrowind but they still have a hefty dose of exploration. FF13 turns this on its head.

And that's just one of least extreme examples.

FF1 isn't completely similar to FF54, 7, 10, or 12, but they still have things that people who have played the series can recognize. FF13, however, is pretty much a non-stop dungeon gauntlet.

Why is this is so hard to understand?

I would rather have FF be different every time than turn into Dragon Quest... which is the same game every time.

I bet if they put in the FF Fanfare after every battle people wouldn't complain.

FFX had very little exploration, yet it's heralded as one of the best.
FFXII had tons of exploration but people hated it for lots of other reasons and many people never finished it.

The illusion of exploration that was in FFX was that you could dick around in towns. I agree that this is a tragic loss, but at the time time, dicking around in towns has always been kind of iffy. I think it's a good change of pace though, and I agree that FFXIII needed a bit more "side attractions". Like dodging lightning...

But I think you have to judge the game for what it is, not what it should be in your mind. In my mind, I wanted Mass Effect to be less about being a wonky 3PS and more about the old and dear KOTOR combat that I loved. But it's not, and people liked it for being a 3ps RPG hybrid.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Angry Grimace said:
Is Lightning just overpowered? I just noticed that whenever I have Lightning vs. anyone else, all the battles are just smash auto-battle and heal a little; whereas with others, i.e. Sazh/Vanille, I have to to the debuff dance etc.
I think Commando is just super useful early on. That section in Chapter 4 without Lightning made me feel helpless. My own fault though since I've just now started to use Synergist and Saboteur.

Kyoufu

Gamer @ Heart said:
Worst...birthday...evar

Thats what I thought too until I got past the first 6 or so hours then the battle system really opened up (once you get 4 ATB bars). Then it became the best birthday ever. :D

Styles

Nautilus
looks amazing, I especially like the part after
Nautilus Park, ROLLERCOASTERS
. And those Chocobos and Sheeps.<3 No slow downs for me.

Pachinko

Well I've made it to the vile peaks (ch.4 ?).

The game is definitely more enjoyable once you get over the 2 hour hump, the fact that there is a hump of that length is a bit absurd but it's pretty much a giant cutscene as far as I'm concerned , you pretty much won't die, battles serve no real purpose as you can't earn experience and none of the story makes a lick of sense until after you finish the 3rd chapter.

I can certainly see what square was going for, big start and then ease the player into every gameplay aspect but it's got pretty much the longest introduction of any game in the series, 7 felt like I was accomplishing something as soon as I finished blowing mako #8, 8 got going as soon as you finished the ifrit cave and even 9 which also had a rather slow introduction still had you aware of 90% of the games concepts by the time you fight the first real boss.

Again though, so far these are minor nitpicks in an enjoyable bit of interactive entertainment.

Rebochan

Himuro said:
It's a game that builds up features that it has established for over twenty years, perfects them, and adds new features on top of that.

Then how come no matter how many times I try to play DragonQuest, I don't have any fun?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Vect said:
Nautilus
looks amazing, I especially like the part after
Nautilus Park, ROLLERCOASTERS
. And those Chocobos and Sheeps.<3 No slow downs for me.

Area is awesome. Makes me wish you could go back to those areas later :(

Zeliard

Pachinko said:
Well I've made it to the vile peaks (ch.4 ?).

The game is definitely more enjoyable once you get over the 2 hour hump, the fact that there is a hump of that length is a bit absurd but it's pretty much a giant cutscene as far as I'm concerned , you pretty much won't die, battles serve no real purpose as you can't earn experience and none of the story makes a lick of sense until after you finish the 3rd chapter.

I can certainly see what square was going for, big start and then ease the player into every gameplay aspect but it's got pretty much the longest introduction of any game in the series, 7 felt like I was accomplishing something as soon as I finished blowing mako #8, 8 got going as soon as you finished the ifrit cave and even 9 which also had a rather slow introduction still had you aware of 90% of the games concepts by the time you fight the first real boss.

Again though, so far these are minor nitpicks in an enjoyable bit of interactive entertainment.

The funny thing is they claim the game is so linear to benefit the storytelling, but during the first few hours you stand to learn far more from simply reading the datalog than what is conveyed to you in cutscenes.

Zeliard said:
The funny thing is they claim the game is so linear to benefit the storytelling, but during the first few hours you stand to learn far more from simply reading the datalog than what is conveyed to you in cutscenes.

I wouldn't say FAR more. There are a few key things here and there but it's still not a lot.

MechaX

I'm about 7-8 hours in and I just beat that element-changing boss with Lightning and Hope. Holy crap, that was a pretty intense battle due to the constant Paradigm switching and the fact that the boss can one hit-KO any party member if their HP was below 2/3rds at a certain point in the battle with its most powerful move. I actually find the battle system to be rather addictive, but hopefully all of the dungeons don't drag on as long as this past dungeon (even assuming the player was meant to do it in one sitting).

The story is still "okay." Well, mostly because the less of Snow I see, the better at this point. Also, Lightning must have some pretty crappy birthdays.

One thing I like about the game is
just how much Hope hates Snow. I can't think of many other JRPGs where there's THAT much tension between the party. I mean yeah there are games where someone ends up betraying the group but it's usually more subtle.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm about 3 hours in and i'm liking it much more than i thought i would. :D

Few questions though;

I just beat the Alpha Behemoth at this temple like place after the lake area.

1. Does the game lock parts of the crystalium? I've already maxed out several roles for the nearly all my party members. Will it unlock it level 2 and so on or will i just get more roles?

2. Are there more roles unlocked later in the game? So far i just have Ravager, Commando, Medic, and that other one that

3. How the hell do i get Gill? Do i have to sell items like in FFXII?

4. I noticed that weapons and accessories have lvls and exp. What do i have to do to level them up?

5. For those that have already beaten the game, are there optional dungeons? Sort of in the vein of Omega Ruins or the Necrohol of Narbudis. Just completely stand alone areas that offer a real challenge.

This game is pretty similar to FFX in structure (so far). Which isn't bad, because i adored that game when it came out.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the battle system is totally ingenious.

I love it. Love it, love it. I mean, I love it.

I love trying new things out as I try and max out certain roles in the Crystallium grid. My experimentation is often based on whichever role I'm focusing at any one time.

It makes me feel like I'm playing 'correctly', rather than just slopping through with Relentless Assault or Diversity or something. They may often work, but the battles are far less interesting. It's a shame you're marked down for experimenting in post-battle results, though. The game almost wants you to stick to one method, and that's a shame, as that would be totally boring.

What the fuck was that Sailor Moon shit with
Vanille coming out of her crystal sleep
? Like, REALLY?! I didn't mind her character all that much and then that shit happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom