• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis89

How in the name of fuck did I not know that Kitase came to London on Tuesday?

I found out today from someone who isn't even a gamer at all. I read NeoGAF. How did I miss this?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I know it's been said before, but holy fuck Vanille is the worst character I've ever encountered in a game, does she get any better as the game progresses? Or hopefully she dies, that would be awesome.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Lost Fragment said:
Sweet. What do I win?
This battle system is designed for those who did not like FF12 for being "non interactive," I guess a switch and "X" (for PS3) makes things so much better ...

FF13 is so limiting, I hate it *arg

jiien

Jesus, the writing/story/logic in this game is just above and beyond.

Chapter 10ish spoiler:

So after I beat the Primarch/fal'Cie, he goes on some rant/explanation of what my real Focus is, and Serah's real Focus, and a bunch of other plot resolving information, and I was thinking, oh shit, no they didn't. They didn't just go and explain the story in the easiest way possible, like so many other RPGs before this one where the boss goes and explains his angle, secrets, and life story right before I kill him, or some stupid shit like that. But then, in the next chapter, next cutscene, the characters actually respond realistically! "What the heck, there's something up, why would he just explain all of that, etc etc".

So freaking awesome. THANK YOU for making characters that actually act like real people, however unreal the situation they may be in.

hateradio said:
This battle system is designed for those who did not like FF12 for being "non interactive," I guess a switch and "X" (for PS3) makes things so much better ...

FF13 is so limiting, I hate it *arg

Due to the solid lack of complaints about it, it does seem that including a meaningless mashing of X does make people feel like they're in control, even if there's less granular control here than in XII. People didn't stop complaining about XII playing itself. Hardly anyone is complaining of that here. I can only think of one time where you might need to time your press of X, otherwise it may as well be automated, and at times I wished it was. Square simply realised that letting players mash X was the answer to all the complaining.

time out, so after hearing that you get a FF14 beta code after registering FF13 at the the SE site, I bolted over there. And instead of getting a code, I get an error popping up, is the registering for games page down, or is it just me?

cnizzle06

Banned
DYAMN, Serah who?

122121-1.jpg

chicken_ramen said:
Due to the solid lack of complaints about it, it does seem that including a meaningless mashing of X does make people feel like they're in control, even if there's less granular control here than in XII. People didn't stop complaining about XII playing itself. Hardly anyone is complaining of that here. I can only think of one time where you might need to time your press of X, otherwise it may as well be automated, and at times I wished it was. Square simply realised that letting players mash X was the answer to all the complaining.

It's solely due to the combat being exclusively menu based, in my mind it manages to somehow be worst than the XII system. In fact to me it plays like a massively inferior X2 with far fewer and less interesting classes, having attacks revolve around positioning which you can't have any control over (Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking here?) and putting in a stupid, arbitrary lead character death means game over. That said I'm really liking the design and pace of the game, especially the focus on the entire party (Just wished characters didn't all play the same in combat).

Teknoman

Clocian-IGN said:
time out, so after hearing that you get a FF14 beta code after registering FF13 at the the SE site, I bolted over there. And instead of getting a code, I get an error popping up, is the registering for games page down, or is it just me?

You dont get a beta code. You get a code that gives you a chance to be in the beta and that same code doubles as a special item code when retail XIV hits. The site might be down from people bombarding it.

flake said:
So when the game supposedly 'opens up' does this mean a town and sidequests etc?

It means
an area like one of the many areas in XII and a bunch of hunts. Remember that big open field in X? It's almost like that but bigger and with monsters walking on it. Happens at about the same point in the game too.

No town, but what would it possibly bring to the table?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
chicken_ramen said:
If you really liked that, you should play The Last Remnant, think of it a cross between 12 and 13, all the battles are automated (like support characters in 13), and you set your parties to do certain types of attacks or healing. So it drops gambits, but it still plays itself :lol, it asks you to select your general "paradigm" (if we can even call it that) for each party each round.

Actually here's a clip I took of the PC version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=845VndR9jOE

...I am complaining though :? since I liked 12.

Spirit of Jazz said:
It's solely due to the combat being exclusively menu based, in my mind it manages to somehow be worst than the XII system. In fact to me it plays like a massively inferior X2 with far fewer and less interesting classes, having attacks revolve around positioning which you can't have any control over (Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking here?) and putting in a stupid, arbitrary lead character death means game over. That said I'm really liking the design and pace of the game, especially the focus on the entire party (Just wished characters didn't all play the same in combat).
XIII is basically the third FFX installment :/

You also forgot to mention death clocks, ...anger rising :lol

Think I'm nearing the end of Chapter 7. Just got to
Hope's house
. The fight before that was fun as hell and the scene before that made me like Snow a lot more than I do now.

One thing that ocurred to me about towns, is that we're playing as characters who are enemies of the state, hunted down by the military and feared by normal people. They can't exactly wander about freely, finding lost puppies and buying shit. I know it probably sounds like an excuse, but it works for me. :)

Spirit of Jazz said:

You do have rudimentary, indirect control. Depending on your class characters walk in different ways, when they're not charging up an action. This is one of the ways that mashing X can get in the way, but it's hardly that important outside a few fights. Switching from melee to defender at the right time can have your defender well away from your casters, completely at your direction.

The characters don't all play the same in combat though. Vanille and Fang are both Jammers but from most of the game they have completely different debuffs. Same for Hope and Sahz. Even though they start to come together in the final 2 chapters even in the final battle
Fang still didn't have Poison
for me. There was enough differentiation for me to have hard choices over who to bring to any battle. Attackers all play the same, but some will have much better stats than others. I think the Crystarium does a pretty good job as a level cap and a character differentiator, for pretty much the entire game.

Arbitrary lead character death though, that does suck very hard.

KZObsessed

Gran Pulse
looks so amazing. It's so
Jurassic Park

The game should have started here, or allowed you to travel back and forth between the two worlds.

I'm gonna stay here and do all the missions I can.

Game goes from good to great in chapter 7, IMO. Most of the unlikeable characters get a lot better, the fights get quite strategic and challenging, and the story really starts building steam. It also has some great boss battles.

hateradio said:
If you really liked that, you should play The Last Remnant, think of it a cross between 12 and 13, all the battles are automated (like support characters in 13), and you set your parties to do certain types of attacks or healing. So it drops gambits, but it still plays itself :lol, it asks you to select your general "paradigm" (if we can even call it that) for each party each round.

I played that game to death, and almost rebought it for PC after hearing about the improvements. Brilliant game.

Dead

well not really...yet
cosmicblizzard said:
Think I'm nearing the end of Chapter 7. Just got to
Hope's house
. The fight before that was fun as hell and the scene before that made me like Snow a lot more than I do now.
Yeah, Chapter 7 made me like Snow a lot more.

Rpgmonkey

The customization systems in this game are terrible. :/

Sazh's Eidolon
was sorta difficult due to its annoying habit of canceling out your whole queue, but things are getting easy again.

Why so much hate for the game? Its old school final fantasy without the boring towns and that sense of misdirection when you sometimes get to the world map. I would get the hate if someone would say "The illusion of a vast world is gone" but I never got that from any FF game. Its a shiny new FFX.

Still, it holds your hand way too much

diss

Banned
Oh my fucking god.

I am at Chapter 7, just got
to play as Fang for the first time with Lightning. THEY STILL HAVEN'T RESOLVED HOPE'S FUCKING MURDER FANTASY YET. Just stab the cunt or shut up you little prick. I'm controlling Snow walking around the area and you can hear him muttering about it in the background! And just as you think fuck FINALLY, he's going to do something, scene's over. I am sick to death of this idiotic relationship these two have to each other. Somebody please tell me how close I am to it playing out. I'm at the end of my rope and I'm close to stabbing Hope through the TV with my remote.

Zzoram

Itchy//Tasty said:
One thing that ocurred to me about towns, is that we're playing as characters who are enemies of the state, hunted down by the military and feared by normal people. They can't exactly wander about freely, finding lost puppies and buying shit. I know it probably sounds like an excuse, but it works for me. :)

Good point.

diss said:
Oh my fucking god.

I am at Chapter 7, just got
to play as Fang for the first time with Lightning. THEY STILL HAVEN'T RESOLVED HOPE'S FUCKING MURDER FANTASY YET. Just stab the cunt or shut up you little prick. I'm controlling Snow walking around the area and you can hear him muttering about it in the background! And just as you think fuck FINALLY, he's going to do something, scene's over. I am sick to death of this idiotic relationship these two have to each other. Somebody please tell me how close I am to it playing out. I'm at the end of my rope and I'm close to stabbing Hope through the TV with my remote.

You will be satisfied very soon..

Teknoman

Itchy//Tasty said:

Actually...that does kinda work out.

Alex

Unless they wanna get progressive and rewrite the concept of towns in an offline Final Fantasy game, I'm OK with their omission. Rarely offered more than a breather with static NPCs to spout their one banal line of dialogue. Which still exist only you dont have to press X, oh no.

Nah the games good though, it's probably my favorite one from this newer age team thus far. World is interesting, battles are fun, cool subsystems, very pretty, not into the music but that's ok it's not bad.

I would buy a re-release that didn't have Vanille in it though.

Damn, on chapter 7
The cutscene when Snow comes in with Fang and the shivacycle is unleashed was fucking intense. Snow is growing on me, kinda. :p

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Just got the game in the mail :D

I'm wiping off the dust off my PS3, charging the battery & polishing my TV. I want everything to be perfect.

Giolon

Inferno313 said:
Game goes from good to great in chapter 7, IMO. Most of the unlikeable characters get a lot better, the fights get quite strategic and challenging, and the story really starts building steam. It also has some great boss battles.

I agree. My friend who played the Japanese version keeps asking my how I feel about the game. Around Chapter 4 I was telling him "Meh++" then around the start of Chapter 7 it was "Good--". That changed once I got to the end of the chapter then, as I said before, I was like "I love this game!".

As of now, I rate it Good++. We'll have to see if it can make it past thatand keep it up to the end.

To leave my FF history record, my previously played games are FFIV (loved), FFX (loved combat, liked characters, hated story), FFXII (hated so much I quit after < 3 hours - if I want to play an MMO, I'll do so). I know quite a bit how VI, VII, and VIII play without having played them myself - yet (VI is on my shortlist, VII is on my PSP).

Interesting that FFXIII to me plays out like a combinaton of FFIV & FFVI (forced party configs) with FFX (linearity) with FFX-2's battle system set to semi-auto pilot.

Skel said:
Man you guys are getting me pumped for Chap 7 :D , I'm just at the start of Chap 6 currently
I'm not really fond of that chapter, personally. It's pretty and the music is cool but that's it. Going from Lightning and Hope to Sazh and Vanille is kinda jarring. :lol

The boss fight at the end is a test of patience though. :p

Zzoram

I kinda don't like how they always dictate which characters you have in your party, and who the leader is, at all times. I also don't like how they keep splitting up after they got together.

Does that change ever?

Aljosa said:
I'm not really fond of that chapter, personally. It's pretty and the music is cool but that's it. Going from Lightning and Hope to Sazh and Vanille is kinda jarring. :lol

The boss fight at the end is a test of patience though. :p

Are you thinking of the right chapter? Sazh and Vanille aren't in chapter 7.

Alex

Zzoram said:
I kinda don't like how they always dictate which characters you have in your party, and who the leader is, at all times. I also don't like how they keep splitting up after they got together.

Does that change ever?

This is one part I dont care for either. Its like they took inspiration from that one part of FFVI and said "hey, lets do that...FOREVER" Often split up or dictated around is my one real complaint with the title.

LiK

made it to
Palumpolum
. no issues or problems with any enemies or bosses. been smooth sailing here so far.

btw, i used up all the items randomly upgrading my weapons and accessories, lol. hope i find more :p

Rpgmonkey

Zzoram said:

Does that change ever?

It's especially dumb when a character is actually with your party sitting in reserve, but can't be switched in.

You can change who want and all that later, but I can't say I'm a fan of how forced it is for so long.

So if I want to play around with customizing my weapons early in the game, am I going to be able to find all these components later on in the game too? Or are there some you get at the beginning that you can't get later on? Just trying to plan ahead! :)

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So if I want to play around with customizing my weapons early in the game, am I going to be able to find all these components later on in the game too? Or are there some you get at the beginning that you can't get later on? Just trying to plan ahead! :)
You can buy the components at shops.

12 hours in so far and this game is incredible. The battle system is just amazing once you get the hang of when to switch jobs. Probably the best battle system in a Final Fantasy game since X-2.

Docpan

So I thought this game was to feature full on realtime combat and controls?

The players clearly move in realtime in the battle space, but I have no movement control over them?

I don't see how this is far from the old system.... Standing there watching my atb bar recharge while I stand perfectly still is not my idea of thrilling, especially after coming from heavy hitters like mass effect 2 and god of war collection.

Am I missing something here? I thought this was supposed to play more like an action game. I'm falling asleep here, so far (very early)

LiK

Docpan said:
So I thought this game was to feature full on realtime combat and controls?

The players clearly move in realtime in the battle space, but I have no movement control over them?

I don't see how this is far from the old system.... Standing there watching my atb bar recharge while I stand perfectly still is not my idea of thrilling, especially after coming from heavy hitters like mass effect 2 and god of war collection.

Am I missing something here? I thought this was supposed to play more like an action game. I'm falling asleep here, so far (very early)

just keep going. it'll kick in in about 10 more hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom