• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
thetrin said:
This is not true, if you know how to do it. The hermes boots (I think that's the name?) cast haste on the wearer at the start of every battle. Insanely useful near the end of the game. You cannot get this item. You can only get it from breakdown.

??

You get them from
mission 34
. Perhaps you mean the
dash shoes? Which you can just get by upgrading max Hermes. If you want MORE you have to do the breakdown, but to actually obtain one no such thing is required.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
LocoMrPollock said:
So anyone know about how long it takes to complete?

Without trophy or sidequest grinding..maybe 40-50 hours. Trying to 100%? 100 or so?

Mihku

Kuro Madoushi said:
All this shitty l'cie and fal'cie and pulse l'cie really needs to be fleshed out more too. It really is like you're watching a movie where the characters know everything and are reluctant to share, or when you walk in on a conversation and don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about. I'm also kind of down on the leveling system thus far; I know it'll get more complex, but so far it's kinda bleh...

Do you read the Datalog? It explains everything pretty clearly. I'm about 3 hours in, just got the paradigms system. Opening chapter was slow and the battles very boring, but it looks like the pace is picking up now. Really liking it so far, and man is this OST awesome.

Teknoman

Kuro Madoushi said:
Mini 4 hour review.

I don't like it...

I understand the game is trying to be more streamlined, but I think they just took out too much. The lack of towns is a huge no-no for me. The excuse that it 'takes too long to develop' is lame as well (doesn't SE have as many resources or MORE than any other Japanese dev?). The battles so far are mindless 'autobattle' button tapping with the occasional 3 taps to use a heal potion or 3 taps to change roles. The equipment customization is pretty weak thus far. I know there's weapon customization later on, but I just missed the complexity and flexibility of previous systems. There's also not much to equip besides 'weapon' and 'accessory'. The story is a pretty incoherent and boring mess. And this isn't just usual jrpg drivel either, I honestly question a lot of these characters motives and the fucking 'kids', especially the fucking 'girl' that just happens to become a party member and the annoying whiny 'kid' that's always there. All this shitty l'cie and fal'cie and pulse l'cie really needs to be fleshed out more too. It really is like you're watching a movie where the characters know everything and are reluctant to share, or when you walk in on a conversation and don't know what the fuck anyone is talking about. I'm also kind of down on the leveling system thus far; I know it'll get more complex, but so far it's kinda bleh...

On the plus side
The music is pretty catchy. Not mind-blowingly good or iconic or anything, but definitely good. The graphics, as usual, are top notch and stellar! The only thing I dislike are the overly plasticky look of the characters (guess I'm used to more realistic 'dirty' models now). The fmv's are awesome. The animation is smooth and well done. And the load times and saving is blazingly fast; I really never notice the loading at all.

Overall, I really wouldn't be able to recommend this game...even for an FF lover. Opinion may change once I unlock more stuff and summons and whatnot, but the game just seems like a beautiful girl. She's gorgeous to look at and may sound good, but there are deep problems underneath and not enough depth.

The Datalog helps alot.. Read it everytime there is a new entry and you'll never be left in the dark. The game tells you that within the first few minutes.

Also I still cant see why everyone doesnt understand Hope's disposition early in the story.
The kid was about to get shuttled off to what he thinks is a hellish place, possibly killed before getting there AND he just watched his mother plummet to her death

roxya

Wow, chapter 6 was fucking great. Environment was the nicest so far, awesome music, nice 'gimmick' towards the end of it. Some great views. Reminded me of Lufaise Meadows from ffxi.

Teknoman said:
The Datalog helps alot.. Read it everytime there is a new entry and you'll never be left in the dark. The game tells you that within the first few minutes.

Also I still cant see why everyone doesnt understand Hope's disposition early in the story.
The kid was about to get shuttled off to what he thinks is a hellish place, possibly killed before getting there AND he just watched his mother plummet to her death

The story in FFXIII is good, yet straightforward. I'm in Chapter 11 and I've yet to see a typical WTF jRPG moment in which they introduce some crazy nonsense. So far so good.

Zzoram

Is it just me or does this game tire your eyes? The battles have so much going on I think it stresses my eyes, which is probably why I haven't been able to play more than 2 hours at a time.

I'm only in Chapter 4 at about 7 hours in.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Well I guess I will give a few tips for chapter 11. (Pardon me if this has all been posted already)

-

The behemoth king and white tiger that are fighting each other near the save point and passage to the caves (the place you have to go in order to continue the story) You can't miss them. You will always surprise them no matter what and if you are strong enough you can kill them within 20 seconds for 6600CP. Walk back a little pass the save point and they should respawn. I used Lightning, Fang, and Hope (Com/Com/Rav) to kill them quickly. Hope would stagger the King Behemoth and lightning would launch him and kill him. Fang would keep the stagger bar on the white tiger up so that when light kills the king they both focus on the tiger.

If they are too strong you may want to grind on the behemoth just before them for awhile. Remember to surprise him too, it's fairly easy to surprise him if you just wait on the ridge next to him. He will turn around and you just have to jump down and stay directly behind him.

-Mission 24:

I never did it but supposedly if you keep accepting mission 24 the boss will spawn nearby and shouldn't take too long to kill if you are strong enough. He gives about 6000cp and an item you can sell for 6k

-Adamantoise, you may have noticed the big guys walking around. Adamantoise are the ones with tusk and chains around their legs. They have about 5 Million HP but can be taken care of easily if you want to take them on.

You will need Vanille's Death ability and her summon. You could also upgrade belladonna to Malboro which supposedly helps with this.

Make Vanille the leader and attack an Adamantoise (The one with tusk and chains). When the battle starts quickly summon Vanille's Eidolon. The Adamantoise will fall to his knees and do nothing which at this point you can spam death on him in the hopes that it kills him quickly. It usually doesn't work for me until the Eidolon has left and my team has staggered him. He stays on the ground for a good amount of time but once he gets up you might want to just retry if death didn't work.

If you kill him though you will either get an item called Platinum Ingnot which can sell for 150,000 or a Trapezohedron which is the component needed to level your weapon to it's final form.

-If you farm Adamantoise you can get a lot of money from selling those Platinum Ingnot's and just buy vibrant oozes and perfect conductors (think they are 1600). Use 36 vibrant ooze's on any item to get to x3 exp bonus and than just use the perfect conductors to level up your item. Edit: You can also do mission 7 and get the R&D store available so that you can buy the Ultra-Compact Reactor which gives more exp than the perfect conductors. (Thanks Castor Krieg)

I think that's all for now. I'll post more if I remember something else!

I don't think I spoiled anything but please let me know if I did. I don't want to ruin anything for you guys.

Zzoram

I kinda feel like the game should just create a "game slot" and have it keep a single checkpoint, more like an action game. I find myself saving every 10 minutes, and it's annoying having to select to overwrite my save.

Zzoram said:
I kinda feel like the game should just create a "game slot" and have it keep a single checkpoint, more like an action game. I find myself saving every 10 minutes, and it's annoying having to select to overwrite my save.
Auto save you mean?

roxya said:
Wow, chapter 6 was fucking great. Environment was the nicest so far, awesome music, nice 'gimmick' towards the end of it. Some great views. Reminded me of Lufaise Meadows from ffxi.

Better than the previous chapter. I hope that was the worst chapter in the game.

Emenis said:
-If you farm Adamantoise you can get a lot of money from selling hose platinum's and just buy vibrant oozes and perfect conductors (think they are 1600). Use 36 vibrant ooze's on any item to get to x3 exp bonus and than just use the perfect conductors to level up your item.

Yes, this is the whole Upgrade System worth doing. I can just add to that - if you are upgrading Tier 2 or Tier 3 weapon you can buy Ultra-Compact Fusion Reactors instead. They cost 50k but give you 150k EXP with 300% bonus. In the end it ends up being cheaper than simply spamming Perfect Conductors.

burgerdog said:
Was this a joke post? Just tried that and what's the point? Sure you live until doom hits 0 and then you just die.

Multiple Medics are a godsend later on. I'm using Light/Vanille/Hope, so when a boss launches OMG-attack I switch to 3xMedic and I'm at full HP in 2-3 seconds.

I got a question: Can anyone tell me the name of transformation stone to use with Hope's Vivnir (sp?)? Japanese guide doesn't list it.

I'm an expert

burgerdog said:
Was this a joke post? Just tried that and what's the point? Sure you live until doom hits 0 and then you just die.

You realize you have to switch back to your offensive setup, right? You switch to healer/healer when you get low and then switch immediately back to offense. Repeat. This is how every fight from here on will be.

Synless

I'm having an issue with hunt #3. It shows a star down a mountain path, but when I head that way it takes me to another screen before I can get to it and it doesn't show up on the next screen. What am I missing?

Synless said:
I'm having an issue with hunt #3. It shows a star down a mountain path, but when I head that way it takes me to another screen before I can get to it and it doesn't show up on the next screen. What am I missing?

It gives you the correct direction. Drop down the path, jump across and continue. Pull out the map and you will see the mission star further ahead in unexplored location.

have fun with the bird there

I dont like the fact that you cant use "attack" if you're not a commando, I know they want you just to use that classes powers but I would like to have that option to attack with my weapon.

I'm an expert

Castor Krieg said:
It gives you the correct direction. Drop down the path, jump across and continue. Pull out the map and you will see the mission star further ahead in unexplored location.

Yeah sometimes you'll have to pan the map around to find the star in some unexplored part. Not the best.

Empty

marathonfool said:
Better than the previous chapter. I hope that was the worst chapter in the game.

Yeah, that was pretty bad. I started off being awed by the enviroment and the music but after an hour or so i was sick of fighting the same few fucking enemies and walking through the same copy and pasted pathways, the chapter just lasted way too long and outlasted its content many times over. Thankfully the bulbasaur boss battle at the end was rad, otherwise i'd have been annoyed, then Chapters 6 and 7 are really great which more than makes up for it.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Synless said:

Mission 3? Pretty sure you just have to keep following the path and you will eventually go into yet another map (So, third screen) where the monster is.

Synless

Castor Krieg said:

When I drop down the path there is a dotted yellow line right after it that as soon as I cross it takes me to a new screen. The red star disappears and I can't get to it. I've tried this like 6 times now.

Wait.....I see it now. It's way farther then the map showed. n/m crisis solved.

Synless said:
When I drop down the path there is a dotted yellow line right after it that as soon as I cross it takes me to a new screen. The red star disappears and I can't get to it. I've tried this like 6 times now.

Did you drop using a tree bark (that's what it looks like I guess)? There should be a ledge with monsters guarding an item, and a gap that you can jump across and continue along the mountain side.

EDIT: Glad it's ok now.

Teknoman

Castor Krieg said:
The story in FFXIII is good, yet straightforward. I'm in Chapter 11 and I've yet to see a typical WTF jRPG moment in which they introduce some crazy nonsense. So far so good.

Yeah I like the set up so far.

I just got the
Shiva Sisters
and have no idea how. Is there some strategy to them because i just listened to what it said and fought them like an all-star defensive team.

Moussi said:
is it just me or does lightning sound like:
5z35ux.jpg

from crisis core...?
neogafavay.png

Not only "sounds" like her.

They pretty much transferred the same character from PSP to PS3/360.

Zoe

burgerdog said:

It's not really.
The point of the summon battles isn't to fight them, it's to drive up their meter.

Translated from his Japanese enemy page, the second one only reveals after you beat him:

Characteristic 1:
Recognizes as master those who accumulate chain bonus.
Characteristic 2:
Recognizes as master those who cure and heal pain.

Square Triangle said:
I just got the
Shiva Sisters
and have no idea how. Is there some strategy to them because i just listened to what it said and fought them like an all-star defensive team.

Characteristic 2:
Recognizes as master those who harden defenses and endure.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Castor Krieg said:
Yes, this is the whole Upgrade System worth doing. I can just add to that - if you are upgrading Tier 2 or Tier 3 weapon you can buy Ultra-Compact Fusion Reactors instead. They cost 50k but give you 150k EXP with 300% bonus. In the end it ends up being cheaper than simply spamming Perfect Conductors.

Multiple Medics are a godsend later on. I'm using Light/Vanille/Hope, so when a boss launches OMG-attack I switch to 3xMedic and I'm at full HP in 2-3 seconds.

I got a question: Can anyone tell me the name of transformation stone to use with Hope's Vivnir (sp?)? Japanese guide doesn't list it.

Vidofnir?

Just checked, it's Scarletite.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
dreamer3kx said:
I dont like the fact that you cant use "attack" if you're not a commando, I know they want you just to use that classes powers but I would like to have that option to attack with my weapon.
Why? I don't get why you would want to if your weapon isn't any good...

Zoe

Stupid new page! Repeating myself since it seems like a lot of people don't understand these fights.

burgerdog said:

It's not really.
The point of the summon battles isn't to fight them, it's to drive up their meter.

Translated from his Japanese enemy page, the second one only reveals after you beat him:

Characteristic 1:
Recognizes as master those who accumulate chain bonus.
Characteristic 2:
Recognizes as master those who cure and heal pain.

Square Triangle said:
I just got the
Shiva Sisters

Characteristic 2:
Recognizes as master those who harden defenses and endure.

Teknoman

To the person who told me that XIII did have some really crazy looking, sorta VII style bio-weapon monsters, you were right.

I only have one complaint about the game so far:

Where is my fanfare! :lol Seriously, they could've at least pulled an XI or XII and put it into the game after accomplishing certain goals.

LiK

pfft, game tells me not to attack the Scalebeast cuz i only have 2 party members. and those guys aren't even that hard. they just have high def when they're not staggered.

Zoe

LiK said:
pfft, game tells me not to attack the Scalebeast cuz i only have 2 party members. and those guys aren't even that hard. they just have high def when they're not staggered.

The palette-swaps later on get pretty hard :(

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
*repeat, since i was last on previous page*

Castor Krieg said:

Vidofnir?

Just checked, it's Scarletite.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lost Fragment said:
Change paradigm.

Tap "A."

Change paradigm again.

Tap "A" some more.
Congratulations. You are the first person to make this complaint. You win!

Alex

I'm liking the game a lot as a stand alone piece. The combat and subsystems are quite nice and being strolled down an FFX styled neon rollercoaster of beauty isnt a huge complaint in conjunction with the decent guts of the game.

Just gotta wait for the eventual JRPG lapse of game balance in the second of the game to inevitably fuck that up!

I dont really lament the lack of very dry Nomura/Kitase FF towns as much as I wish they would've tried something more progressive, but as a one off I'm fine with this. It's just kinda sorta not Final Fantasy. Even way moreso than X-2. But if you're into that rollercoaster of battles and flash then it's a really solid title.

I think people would be more into it in general if it didnt take them 17 years and they didnt make excuses at every turn instead of just saying they didnt wanna do towns. Just do what you want and dont pander to the fans. Final Fantasy fans in paticular are some of the biggest crybaby bitches there are. I know, because if it was me you'd basically just be churning out incredibly difficult FF5 sequels forever.

By the by, the story in this game is SIGNIFICANTLY less shit thus far than the one in VII, VIII, X and X-2. It's got some truly STUPID characters and some very spotty dialogue from those characters but the actual narrative, world setup and the few good characters paint a much better picture than the normal Nomura/Kitase titles, IMO. I wouldnt discuss the story at length, I wouldnt play the game for the story but as background context and world lore it's not too bad.

Maybe its the localization (which seems utterly excellent) but yeah I'd easily say, to this point, the narrative fucking kills the rest of the Nojima work I've been subjected to. The world is actually half interesting. If you jettisoned Vanille out an airlock, put ten years on Serah and made Hope shut the fuck up from the start, it'd be a lot less embarrassing at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom