• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

Man..once i got to the more open area in the game.My goodness so beautiful and so many dangers. Missions are fun and hectic but since i completed the low level ones is it safe to leave the rest?

Ryn

I thought the only way you get less stars is when you don't finish the battles fast enough due to whatever "battle par" the game set for you.

Vect said:
Really? I switched almost 10 times in fights that are under 1 minute and I still get 5 stars. :lol
Maybe I'm screwing up in some other way. I might be misinterpreting it.

In any case, I always hate being graded on battles in games. This is no exception.

Zoe

soujiro_seta said:
question: can i go back and do all the "missions"? right now i plan on skipping them, because my characters are weak lol is it also a good idea to grind where these missions are?

If you don't do the missions that fall along the story path, you'll probably be underpowered.

20 hours in. Not gonna lie,
I got a bit teary-eyed before the fight with Brynhildr. I don't care how that makes me look.
It was a very powerful scene IMO.

Edit: And HOLY FUCK at the scene after! Yeah I'm sure I know what happens but still.

Jeels

Any tips for those
ch 6
enemies the game says to specifically avoid if you can't do it with your two active members.

Ryn

Oyashiro said:
Holy fuck @ Ch. 9 boss. :| This thing may as well be the final boss, it's im-fucking-possible.

Try this out:
Ryn said:
Another hint for the chapter 9 boss:
To not get completely wiped out by that multiple beam move in one hit, when he's charging up the attack just keep bombarding him with damage while making sure your health is well over halfway full, once you hear him go "uughh", you've reduced the total damage he's going to do to you, which saves you from getting one shotted by it and having to restart the entire battle all over again.

Also at the beginning of battle use a libra scope to identify all 5 of the enemies weaknesses at once so those who are ravagers can just pummel them. Staggering him also helps.

Hyunkel6

I don't really get the "vendetta" ability for the sentinel. Is it more powerful/effective if I stack it? For example, is "Safeguard, Vendetta, Vendetta, Vendetta" more effective than "Safeguard, Safeguard, Safeguard, Vendetta? I tried many combinations, but the counterattack damage is still very low.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ElFly said:
FF13 has an annoying tendency to limit your party to two characters. it makes a lot of battles pretty hard, cause you have to go from healer/damager to damager/comboer constantly.

After a few chapters, it finally let me use a three character party again, and I just fucked up a boss with a ton of HP in no time. I am going to guess that I am just about to witness a lot of HP inflation in the enemies.
Yup, as much I'm enjoying this game I have to say I'm not a fan of the constant 2 man parties thus far.

shwimpy

Cool... just randomly got the 'Loremaster' gold trophy... didn't even go for it. I'm guessing it's pretty much a given. :lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Chapter 5 now.

How do you get money? :lol What components do I sell?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
ULTROS! said:
Chapter 5 now.

They will say "Premium Item" or something like that in the description. A lot probably use them as regular components without reading the description. :)

Styles

cosmicblizzard said:
20 hours in. Not gonna lie,
I got a bit teary-eyed before the fight with Brynhildr. I don't care how that makes me look.
It was a very powerful scene IMO.

Edit: And HOLY FUCK at the scene after! Yeah I'm sure I know what happens but still.
Yeah that part was touching.

RS4-

ULTROS! said:
Chapter 5 now.

Incentive chips for 2.5k and uhh, ____ chip for like 500 gil. I think those are the only things you should sell until you do hunts.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I can upgrade my weapons now. Any tips? I don't to somehow fuck up my chance at getting ultimate items later on by using up components.

diss

Banned
I liked this game for the first... 6ish hours. Low expectations and all that. But I'm at about 16 hours in and it's starting to feel interminable. Normally this is the point at which I'd give up, but I want to see how it ends, just because I think I fucken deserve it for sitting through this shit. Also I hear 20 hours is where it starts to get good -_-

Zoe

OMG, just saw the short CG-only commercial on SyFy. They really think that'd work? :lol

omg rite said:
So I can upgrade my weapons now. Any tips? I don't to somehow fuck up my chance at getting ultimate items later on by using up components.

Just don't use any digital components until you've maxed out the multiplier with the natural components.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Phew! Got my fine 8 hours of sleep~

Time to continue :)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zoe said:
OMG, just saw the short CG-only commercial on SyFy. They really think that'd work? :lol

Just don't use any digital components until you've maxed out the multiplier with the natural components.

But in terms of wasting components that I might need later, I don't have to worry?

What is the max for the multiplier?

Zoe

omg rite said:
But in terms of wasting components that I might need later, I don't have to worry?

What is the max for the multiplier?

Are you interested in the trophy/achievement for getting all items? You'll need to upgrade the weapons anyway then. And you will get better components as well as have the opportunity to farm for them later in the game.

Multiplier goes up to 3x.

Hyunkel6

dreamer3kx said:
Damn I couldn't get the chap 5 boss to stagger at all, took me like 20 mins to beat him, did you get him to stagger?
I used commando/ravager as my main, commando/medic as heal and commando/synergist as support. I made sure to have commando in all my paradigms to keep the chain gauge going. I think I staggered it twice. But yeah, for me, this boss was the first "real" boss of the game.

Cloudy

Banned
OMG, not another Vanille/Sazh dungeon >_<

I gotta say, I'm really liking Lightning. Her VA is awesome and she is so fun to use as party lead (Launch is so cool :D )

Dead

well not really...yet
Damn, so far the beginning of chapter 9 is great for farming extra crystogen points and Credit + Incentive chips, but god damn, the alarm is driving me crazy. Don't know how much longer I can farm this area for :lol

Hyunkel6 said:
I used commando/ravager as my main, commando/medic as heal and commando/synergist as support. I made sure to have commando in all my paradigms to keep the chain gauge going. I think I staggered it twice. But yeah, for me, this boss was the first "real" boss of the game.

so com/rav is better to get a stagger then rav/rav? I was using rav/rav to attack because his magic weakness kept changing throughout the battle.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zoe said:
Are you interested in the trophy/achievement for getting all items? You'll need to upgrade the weapons anyway then. And you will get better components as well as have the opportunity to farm for them later in the game.

Multiplier goes up to 3x.

Ah, I didn't even know that was an achievement. Yikes.

Dead

well not really...yet
dreamer3kx said:
so com/rav is better to get a stagger then rav/rav? I was using rav/rav to attack because his magic weakness kept changing throughout the battle.
Keep switching. You need to go commando to keep the stagger up, otherwise it will just keep falling if you're only doing ravager attacks

robot

I'm around 5 hours in and totally stunned at how awesome the game is. It's a weird mixed feeling of familiarity and genre bending madness. Loving how the complexity of the combat is slowly unfolding. I think presenting it all at once would hurt my brain.

The one thing I'm not too crazy about is how linear it is, but everything else is great. I've already had a few "holy shit this game looks unreal" moments this early in the game
those motorcycle/transformer twins, wtf
, hope it gets even nuttier.

wow, i love the calm lands pt2(
gran pulse
). I've found this good spot where there are these easy enemies I can keep killing for like 1.7-3k a fight. That's all I've been doing the last 3 hours lol, fighting the same enemy and still having a blast, I love this battle system :lol

diss

Banned
dreamer3kx said:
rav/rav will make the chain gauge go up quicker, but it'll also go down real quick while your ATB is recharging for the next flurry of attacks. so you'll never reach a stagger point - it'll just go up really fast, and then deplete.

but if you hit it a few times with a commando first, it'll slow the chain gauge going down. even if you switch to rav/rav to jack it up really fast

Oyashiro said:
Holy fuck @ Ch. 9 boss. :| This thing may as well be the final boss, it's im-fucking-possible.

Use Lightning, Sahz, Hope, double syn buff everyone, then go almost all offense on him.. or just use a fortisol and aegisol before the fight to make it even easier. Find my earlier post on this thread for more details.

diss

Banned
Jeels said:
Help Please.
Just... kill them. If you've played the game this long you should have enough of a grasp to do it. There's no real trick to it. They do however take around 4 minutes to kill, and as such are a pain in the ass, so just walk past behind them.

diss said:
rav/rav will make the chain gauge go up quicker, but it'll also go down real quick while your ATB is recharging for the next flurry of attacks. so you'll never reach a stagger point - it'll just go up really fast, and then deplete.

but if you hit it a few times with a commando first, it'll slow the chain gauge going down. even if you switch to rav/rav to jack it up really fast

I see, nice.

Jeels

diss said:
Just... kill them. If you've played the game this long you should have enough of a grasp to do it. There's no real trick to it. They do however take around 4 minutes to kill, and as such are a pain in the ass, so just walk past behind them.

So there's no clear cut strategy, it's just a long, boring fight? Gah.

diss

Banned
Jeels said:
As far as I can tell anyway. I killed the first one just to see if it could be done, then I killed a second because it was guarding a chest. Then I saw there were six more and I thought to hell with it, and ran to the exit :p

LCfiner

Jeels said:
It can go by a little quicker if you deshell and deprotect them as soon as they're staggered when you get preemptive strike.

Otherwise, just wail away and heal as necessary.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Cloudy said:
OMG, not another Vanille/Sazh dungeon >_<
I gotta say, I'm really liking Lightning. Her VA is awesome and she is so fun to use as party lead (Launch is so cool :D )
Ali Hillis also plays Liara Tusoni from Mass Effect, so when you're walking around and she starts talking I just get reminded of that game :lol However, SE should have realized that they needed the characters to stick closer together when they start talking, b/c you can't hear them all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom