• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Versian

Neo Member
I thought they said they resolved the issue with players not being able to enter any instances and receiving error 90000 right after the open beta phase ended.

Guess not...

I can wait though. I've done it this long already.

Mr. RHC

I'm not playing FF XIV, but I'm getting MGO2 Beta vibes from this situation!

2edpphcjpg.gif

Should be posted in every launch online multiplayer game OT. xD

Laieon

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm not playing FF XIV, but I'm getting MGO2 Beta vibes from this situation!

2edpphcjpg.gif

Should be posted in every launch online multiplayer game OT. xD
I know the pain of that gif all too well

I agree with the security failure being a pretty big mistep on Rift's part, but the actual launch of the game and how little downtime it had was pretty great. Easily one of the more flawless launches I've seen as far as uptime goes.
Dude, I rather have server errors. The problem they had was the total opposite of flawless. Who gives a shit if the servers are up if people can randomly hack into your character and jack all your shit at free will and don't get me started on how they hacked the admin system and did server wide gold selling announcements

Pachinko

Every single MMO ever released has had issues in the first week or 2 of launch. These problems have extended to any game that requires an internet connection as well. The simple fact is, it's not cost feasible to buy up enough servers to make sure more then 100,000 people can play your game at the same time. I've read that 15% is the number that used to be aimed for so if you have 1 million subscribers worldwide you should have enough servers to handle 150,000 at any given moment. This puts a real wrench in any online game launch though, because as time zones release and activate the product , every player who bought the game is going to want to play it all at the same time and there simply won't be enough capacity for it. FF14 had a number of servers set up thanks to the original version of the game and all the lengthy betas, probably enough to handle 75,000 people at the same time (assuming 500,000 people worldwide were playing the game over the 3 year road to 2.0).

This is also why I think it's pretty funny that there is so much butthurt in this thread over their early access program. It's free early access because it's basically the 5th beta phase. They are hoping to gauge sales this coming week over the course of this weekend and clean out some of the remaining bugs and possibly beef up the server count by a bit. It will most likely NOT be enough though, so for those who want a problem free experience I'd suggest waiting at least 1 full week before diving in. By then the most major issues should have been smoothed over and the volume of people trying to play will drop a bit and it should just make it easier to get in.

Foaloal

How in the hell are they not managing the early access people only?

What will happen on tuesday

There's a chance there's more early access players than there will be actual players.
Personally I haven't purchased the game, I just preordered and canceled for a free early access code, so if there are a lot of other people who did the same thing (quite possible) then potentially we currently have a ton of players who actually bought the game as well as lots who haven't trying to log in and play right now.
I don't feel bad for playing without a purchase though, because as it stands I would be regretting my purchase right now.

Versian

Neo Member
How in the hell are they not managing the early access people only?

What will happen on tuesday

I assume they allowed people to receive early access through pre-orders so that come Tuesday, those starting areas are not as congested.

Who knows, maybe Tuesday will be one giant disaster as well.

kaiju

Just posted:

[NA] Several Worlds Emergency Maintenance (Aug. 24)

At the following time, we will be performing emergency maintenance. During this period, the Worlds listed below will be unavailable.

As we previously announced on the “Regarding the Instance-Related Issues (Aug. 24)” announcement, we will be conducting maintenance to address the issue wherein players are unable to access instances.

While we previously stated that we will be optimizing the servers prior to the emergency maintenance, we will require additional time to also implement counter measures to decrease the load on the servers.

While we estimate the time frame of the maintenance to be around two and a half hours, we will do our best to complete the maintenance as soon as possible.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Aug. 24, 2013 from 3:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (PDT)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Worlds]
North American/European Data Center Worlds
- Adamantoise
- Balmung
- Behemoth
- Cactuar
- Cerberus
- Coeurl
- Diabolos
- Excalibur
- Exodus
- Faerie
- Gilgamesh
- Goblin
- Hyperion
- Lamia
- Leviathan
- Malboro
- Midgardsormr
- Moogle
- Odin
- Phoenix
- Ragnarok
- Sargatanas
- Shiva
- Siren
- Ultros

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/66145-NA-Regarding-the-Instance-Related-Issues-%28Aug.-24%29?p=1052213#post1052213

Varna

Defense force for everything...

Yeah, MMO launches are rough. No one is saying otherwise. But this is the same shit that happened during Phase 4. They had an opportunity to extend the test and hopefully take care of these issues. Because there will be other things after this is resolved. You can count on that.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm really hoping I'll be able to play tomorrow! I'm up at a cottage today, and I'll be back in the city tomorrow night, I'd love to get on for a few hours and keep playing!

Teletraan1

Banned
How did they miss overloaded instance servers as a cause in phase 4?

There seems to be WAY more people playing this time around then in any of the previous phases. I never saw the amount of players in any given area as high as it has been today. NM fates dying in really quick. You cant even get a cast off on normal fate mobs. Cant do enough damage on quest mobs to get credit on the kill like before since there are so many people. Super crowded and probably the reason they are having issues. Probably a bunch of pre-order scamsters. :p

Every single MMO ever released has had issues in the first week or 2 of launch. These problems have extended to any game that requires an internet connection as well. The simple fact is, it's not cost feasible to buy up enough servers to make sure more then 100,000 people can play your game at the same time. I've read that 15% is the number that used to be aimed for so if you have 1 million subscribers worldwide you should have enough servers to handle 150,000 at any given moment. This puts a real wrench in any online game launch though, because as time zones release and activate the product , every player who bought the game is going to want to play it all at the same time and there simply won't be enough capacity for it. FF14 had a number of servers set up thanks to the original version of the game and all the lengthy betas, probably enough to handle 75,000 people at the same time (assuming 500,000 people worldwide were playing the game over the 3 year road to 2.0).

I think the bigger concern is they couldn't even handle making a web page to give out codes. Yes there will be problems but basic things like redeeming codes on a web page and the server login queues not functioning are highly disturbing. Especially considering this a re-launch of a new codebase. Surely some lessons would have been learned from 1.0 to mitigate or respond better to the issues they are seeing.

Scythian

I'm still stuck on Character Creation waiting for Ultros to open up, if I quit and try again later, I won't lose my character, right?

Isaccard

This is also why I think it's pretty funny that there is so much butthurt in this thread over their early access program. It's free early access because it's basically the 5th beta phase. They are hoping to gauge sales this coming week over the course of this weekend and clean out some of the remaining bugs and possibly beef up the server count by a bit. It will most likely NOT be enough though, so for those who want a problem free experience I'd suggest waiting at least 1 full week before diving in. By then the most major issues should have been smoothed over and the volume of people trying to play will drop a bit and it should just make it easier to get in.

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

Mechakira

Neo Member
Dude do you have the in duty bug where you can't see friends list and all that also?

Yeah it was like being a ghost.

- Can't read or chat in Linkshell or Free Company
- Can't send or (presumably) receive tells
- Can't load instances
- Think it was bugging out my party system too

Really shitty since it all happened right when I was about to finish the Grand Company quest, so all the FATEs I did 20-26 didn't get me any seals.

Emitan

Defense force for everything...

Yeah, MMO launches are rough. No one is saying otherwise. But this is the same shit that happened during Phase 4. They had an opportunity to extend the test and hopefully take care of these issues. Because there will be other things after this is resolved. You can count on that.

These are different issues.

Boss Man

The JP servers gone down for maintenance even once?
I think briefly during the beta, but I don't think it was all of them at once. They also seem to be immune to the dreaded "You are already logged in." error and other game breaking bugs. They get updated on the issues (that aren't effecting them) pretty quickly though.

SE needs to do a much better job communicating across its branches, or whatever it is that they've been failing to do. This was an issue with FFXI too, but there just weren't any huge problems like this to highlight it.

edit:
So the phase 4 "this is our demo" -Yoshi P. open beta was just a beta, and now early access a couple of days before launch is "basically a beta" too. I get that there will be bugs, but I'm curious to see what people say when 90% of people in NA/EU are unable to play and/or some data gets corrupted after Tuesday.

Kokonoe

Banned
Agree with the top part of what you said Pachinko, but early access isn't a beta test, it's a perk of the Collectors edition.

Versian

Neo Member
Yeah it was like being a ghost.

- Can't read or chat in Linkshell or Free Company
- Can't send or (presumably) receive tells
- Can't load instances
- Think it was bugging out my party system too

Really shitty since it all happened right when I was about to finish the Grand Company quest, so all the FATEs I did 20-26 didn't get me any seals.

Yeah I was stuck with this error all throughout open beta. You could open the duty finder and apply for a duty and then immediately cancel, this would allow you to send tells. You couldn't join any instance though.

kaiju

Edit: Beaten! Damn you B.A.L. ;)

Lol, twitter is useful for situations like this!

I'm still stuck on Character Creation waiting for Ultros to open up, if I quit and try again later, I won't lose my character, right?

Servers are down, but you should be able to save the character so you don't have to make him/her again. I don't suggest 'waiting' for Ultros to open up though, it could be a long while...days even.

Sandfox

I think the bigger concern is they couldn't even handle making a web page to give out codes. Yes there will be problems but basic things like redeeming codes on a web page and the server login queues not functioning are highly disturbing. Especially considering this a re-launch of a new codebase. Surely some lessons would have been learned from 1.0 to mitigate or respond better to the issues they are seeing.

They should've done better with that and its their fault since they could have prevented it but a lot of people were scamming codes too.

Sakura

Think I managed to log out in Limsa so I should be good for rested XP right? Or is that only in the guild or something.

Either way, so far I think the launch is good. The only real issue seems to be at the moment, the instances. Once that is fixed, the game should be solid for the most part. I have to work tonight any way, so hopefully all the fixing goes on while I'm not home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom