• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

*Gets back from a company party, see's a ton of people moaning about an MMO having a rough patch at launch, face palms.*

People, seriously, this is my first MMO, and even I know that MMO's tend to have rough patches early on. Thats the entire reason I didn't plan my entire weekend around the game, I figured it'd be down for hours at a time for those first few days.

Probably would've been a different story if they had a second Open Beta weekend to catch some of these problems before early access, but its still wholly unsurprising.

scosher

This is an artificial situation precisely because there are more people concurrently accessing the servers than the game will reasonably have doing so for most of its lifespan. Success or not, a lot of people are going to peace out once the first month expires.

Everyone always overdramatizes week one of MMO launches, they're always ugly and it's always the end of the world except it isn't. But if the situation doesn't improve by the time subscriptions are supposed to get renewed, then we have an actual problem.

That sounds pretty defeatist to me. Sure, most MMO's will open up new servers, only to see their population drastically decline after two months, forcing them to merge worlds, etc. The exception of course being WoW, which grew exponentially in its first three months. If Square's already conceding that they're not going to attract more players (and this is while WoW has bled millions of players over the past 2 years), then their lack of faith in their own game is alarming.

Regardless, the issue right now are instance servers, not worlds. Ultros has run fine for me thus far. As far as I understand, the instance servers are shared cross-world, and expanding their number will help all worlds. And if the population does decline in the future, it's much less of a headache to discard unused instance servers.

Alucrid

Banned
That fate farming at High Bridge was crazy lol. Pretty much everyone there was GAF.

no, no, no. here's how it really looks

TnR5v1f.jpg

Boss Man

I will now ask the dumbest question of the night:

If all the servers are approaching full, what's gonna happen when launch date rolls around and all the people who didn't preorder, or are returning 1.0 non-Legacy players, try to pile on to this mess?
It won't work and people will get mad while others defend it. Please be excited.

Sandfox

If all the servers are approaching full, what's gonna happen when launch date rolls around and all the people who didn't preorder, or are returning 1.0 non-Legacy players, try to pile on to this mess?

A lot of the people playing now aren't going to be playing when the actual game comes out but its probably going to be worse regardless.

mothball

*Gets back from a company party, see's a ton of people moaning about an MMO having a rough patch at launch, face palms.*

People, seriously, this is my first MMO, and even I know that MMO's tend to have rough patches early on. Thats the entire reason I didn't plan my entire weekend around the game, I figured it'd be down for hours at a time for those first few days.

Probably would've been a different story if they had a second Open Beta weekend to catch some of these problems before early access, but its still wholly unsurprising.

The server issues aren't what get me; they're to be expected. What gets me is that the instance bug was in beta, got fixed, and is now back for release.

Firehead

Goddammit, Squeenix.
Seriously. This is concerning. :|[

They'll make a character on servers that haven't been filled by forum members?

Hi GAF, logging out for the night.
Managed to get my Therm to level 9, just been hanging around Thanalan doing a few quests and whatnot.
My internet connection has been spotty this evening, hopefully it'll be better tomorrow so I don't keep getting cut off. Had no other errors or problems though, managed to do an instance quest too.

WolvenOne

The server issues aren't what get me; they're to be expected. What gets me is that the instance bug was in beta, got fixed, and is now back for release.

Yes, they should've had one more beta to test a few fixes and find some of these other problems before release. I can understand why they didn't, but it still demonstrates why its such a bad idea to cut open beta periods short.

Still, the problem likely will be resolved within 24 hours, worst case three days. Seeing as most of us have waited for months to play this game, waiting another day for things to be smoother isn't the end of the world by a long shot.

I'm more perplexed by all the servers filling up, again. I realize that some people spoofed early access codes, and I realize that not everybody is going to get on at the same frequency a week or two after launch. Regardless, the fact that they added four servers last week, and that those are filled up too is staggering. The NA Square team was OBVIOUSLY not on the ball in their estimates.

Regardless, its important not to blow things out of proportion. While these are issues, the melodrama some people are applying to this situation is, disproportionate to the issues. I mean, if the worst thing that happened to you all summer is some server issues in an MMO, that's a pretty darn good summer in my book.

daveo42

Banned
Was hoping to get more time online tonight when I get home, but server maintenance is shutting that down. I hope this does help clear up the issues though.

Hopefully when I wake up I can do my lvl 10 instance and move on.. Getting bored grinding mobs.. Already almost lvl 15..

Couldn't you have just took to doing a crating job for a bit?
Now the exp from your instance isn't gonna do shit for your leveling.

edit: unless the 10 instance is what you need to access other jobs, in which case, that sucks

That sounds pretty defeatist to me. Sure, most MMO's will open up new servers, only to see their population drastically decline after two months, forcing them to merge worlds, etc. The exception of course being WoW, which grew exponentially in its first three months. If Square's already conceding that they're not going to attract more players (and this is while WoW has bled millions of players over the past 2 years), then their lack of faith in their own game is alarming.

Regardless, the issue right now are instance servers, not worlds. Ultros has run fine for me thus far. As far as I understand, the instance servers are shared cross-world, and expanding their number will help all worlds. And if the population does decline in the future, it's much less of a headache to discard unused instance servers.

I'm not talking about total subs, I'm talking about concurrent access. The current servers will likely never see the rate of concurrent access they are getting during launch week ever again.

WolvenOne

BTW, do I have to be a certain level or something to join the GAF free company in game?

Character name is: N'uadha Tia

I'm on Ultros server, and feel free to contact me in game. I'll do my best to make things enjoyable for you. :)

Alucrid

Banned
BTW, do I have to be a certain level or something to join the GAF free company in game?

Character name is: N'uadha Tia

I'm on Ultros server, and feel free to contact me in game. I'll do my best to make things enjoyable for you. :)

are you propositioning me?

Scrawnton

Couldn't you have just took to doing a crating job for a bit?
Now the exp from your instance isn't gonna do shit for your leveling.

edit: unless the 10 instance is what you need to access other jobs, in which case, that sucks

Yeah you have to beat the lvl 10 quest to unlock being other jobs and doing leve quests

You stir the pot some more, and maybe cackle. :p

kaiju

Incoming Maintenance:

[NA] All Worlds Emergency Maintenance (Aug. 24)

At the following time, we will be performing emergency maintenance on all Worlds. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

*Please refer to the link below for details regarding the maintenance.
http://sqex.to/oHL

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Aug. 25, 2013 from 12:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. (PDT)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

Glad they are waiting to do it when I'll be asleep!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
SE, the Japanese servers are ok, no need to do a maintenance on them.

Especially not from 4pm to 7pm on Sunday. (ToT)

Whooter

I'm not talking about total subs, I'm talking about concurrent access. The current servers will likely never see the rate of concurrent access they are getting during launch week ever again.

Exactly.

If everyone that had a subscription to WoW all logged in at the same time, you'd see the exact same thing you're seeing here.

This will pass. Folks will either have patience and let it work itself out, or they won't. Those that won't will leave more room for those that do when it comes time to start paying for a subscription.

Sandfox

Incoming Maintenance:

Glad they are waiting to do it when I'll be asleep!

I'll probably be playing from 3 to 5 before going to bed. It should give me the time to do some mainline quest.

Exactly.

If everyone that had a subscription to WoW all logged in at the same time, you'd see the exact same thing you're seeing here.

This will pass. Folks will either have patience and let it work itself out, or they won't. Those that won't will leave more room for those that do when it comes time to start paying for a subscription.

I couldn't even imagine millions of people on WoW at once lol

They made improvements to the west servers that they want to bring to the Japanese ones.

raven777

do you get exp bonus for completing craft log 1-5?

man crafting takes quite a lot of money....selling those weavered clothe barely gives me money.

falastini

Didn't you get the memo? SE purposely favors JP at the expense of NA/EU.

Seriously though... the server issues were expected... but locking out new characters on day 1 of early access is kinda fucked up. They should have handled that better.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Had to go away for the evening and I have 2 photoshoots to do tomorrow. Does not sound like I am missing out with the servers still being shit =/

Sakura

Amazing. Yoshi and co. had literally MONTHS to prepare for this contingency. And now that the contingency has arrived, instead of fixing it, he simply says "WELP, STOP FILLING UP THE SERVERS THEN DERP :D"

-_-

I'm not sure what you mean by fixing it? Don't worlds/servers have population caps on any MMO? It's not like they can let infinite people make characters on Ultros or wherever. He is just saying, servers are getting full as possible, so go to some servers that are not full. If all servers were pretty much full, I assume they would add more like they did in other phases.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They made improvements to the west servers that they want to bring to the Japanese ones.
Yeah, I'm kidding. Once we all get the fixes it should be smooth sailing until the release.
Just a bit salty regarding the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom