• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Managed to finally create a character on the server I wanted. Finally. Got about 15 minutes in before maintenance.

So... are there very few armor sets/pieces for each class? Armor is giving me a very Korean mmo vibe in that it's completely lacking.

I get the impression that a lot of the armor only becomes available at the end game.

Plus, of course, they're almost guaranteed to be launching an in game store at some point. They'll at least have cosmetic items, and, maybe cosmetic variants on common endgame armor.

I dunno, one can hope.

Teletraan1

Banned
Not really liking any quest that they pair you with powerful allies since the ally AI is terrible. They throw jacked up mobs at you that you cant tank as a CNJ and the friendly AI just lets you fend for yourself. I have no idea how I got hate on anything since I was assisting Yda and let the THM heal me but sure enough, every time I have 4 mobs on me that thoroughly kick my ass and I have no idea why they are even on me with an NPC that is bombing heals greater than my healtbar at me. They spend the first 20 levels teaching you the rules and then all those rules go out the window because the npcs they put you with have no proper threat table.

WolvenOne

Not really liking any quest that they pair you with powerful allies since the ally AI is terrible. They throw jacked up mobs at you that you cant tank as a CNJ and the friendly AI just lets you fend for yourself. I have no idea how I got hate on anything since I was assisting Yda and let the THM heal me but sure enough, every time I have 4 mobs on me that thoroughly kick my ass and I have no idea why they are even on me with an NPC that is bombing heals greater than my healtbar at me. They spend the first 20 levels teaching you the rules and then all those rules go out the window because the npcs they put you with have no proper threat table.

I don't think healing generates Enmity actually. At least that's the impression I get.

Teknoman

I get the impression that a lot of the armor only becomes available at the end game.

Plus, of course, they're almost guaranteed to be launching an in game store at some point. They'll at least have cosmetic items, and, maybe cosmetic variants on common endgame armor.

I dunno, one can hope.

Also there is the fact that the art design is from the same person that did Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre series, and Vagrant Story.

Armor is going to be fairly reasonable looking, or slightly revealing for the most part, aside from special armors, which will be downright amazingly detailed.

I dunno, one can hope

No... stop hoping for stuff like this. Game is already a monthly sub, we don't need to see them flexing any type of cash shop. Let them keep all that cosmetic stuff as ingame rewards of some sort.

I don't think healing generates Enmity actually. At least that's the impression I get.

Healing generates enmity, but it's mitigated enough by (effective) tanking and dps. Haven't done any of the level NPC quests with healing, so I'm not sure how enmity is handled in those types of battles, though.

Meia

At work at the 5am start time, come on at 1030, maintenance at 11.

Wake up at 12am, log in at 1am, maintenance at 3am, comes up in time for me to go to the laundromat.

The powers that be simply do not wish for me to play this game. :p

Varna

Managed to finally create a character on the server I wanted. Finally. Got about 15 minutes in before maintenance.

So... are there very few armor sets/pieces for each class? Armor is giving me a very Korean mmo vibe in that it's completely lacking.

It is fairly limiting to be honest. I don't like some of the designs either... like the fucken eye patch. Come one, really?

Teknoman

wat

I will flip my shit if this isn't a typo

lol it was, I meant Gladiator. FFXI seeping out of my brain.

Expect stuff like this for armor:

tumblr_mi3113H3UU1s4tqwco1_500.jpg

Whats wrong with the eyepatch?

Sakura

I was doing a class quest earlier today, and the NPC that heals me during it died and I failed. I thought it was kind of funny and didn't realise they could actually die.

WolvenOne

No... stop hoping for stuff like this. Game is already a monthly sub, we don't need to see them flexing any type of cash shop. Let them keep all that cosmetic stuff as ingame rewards of some sort.

Well, just saying, in game "real money shops," are almost the norm for this genre now. Besides that, Square's never really turned down an opportunity for free money, so I think its inevitable. I mean seriously, you think the same company that pushed for, "All the Bravest," is going to resist doing what everyone else is doing, when it'll make them more money?

desverger

So, I started my character as an Archer, and I have my story quest in Gridania, but later on decided that Pugilist was more fun to play - question is, I'm now in Thanalan and my story quest is in Gridania, is it going to be stuck there forever or until some juncture that sends the story quest to some common place?

WolvenOne

So, I started my character as an Archer, and I have my story quest in Gridania, but later on decided that Pugilist was more fun to play - question is, I'm now in Thanalan and my story quest is in Gridania, is it going to be stuck there forever or until some juncture that sends the story quest to some common place?

Once the story takes you out of your starting location, the story then takes place across all three starting regions. So, unless you walked to another region before getting your airship pass, you're fine.

MogCakes

Well, just saying, in game "real money shops," are almost the norm for this genre now. Besides that, Square's never really turned down an opportunity for free money, so I think its inevitable. I mean seriously, you think the same company that pushed for, "All the Bravest," is going to resist doing what everyone else is doing, when it'll make them more money?

I'm really hoping they don't go that route with ARR. But yeah, All the Bravest combined with their new social/mobile direction doesn't inspire much confidence in me. Still, I am hoping as said.

Teknoman

Yup. Pugilist class quests of course will center around Thanalan, but your scenario quest centers around where you start until the airship pass branching point.

WolvenOne

I'm really hoping they don't go that route with ARR. But yeah, All the Bravest combined with their new social/mobile direction doesn't inspire much confidence in me. Still, I am hoping as said.

Well, I'm no opposed to it, so long as there are ways to get the same armor in-game, without spending money. I mean, they'd probably want to make the conditions for getting the armor pretty harsh, but so long as their was a route to get the same armor without paying extra I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I think they'll mostly go with purely cosmetic stuff though. Minions, special mounts, unique dyes, etc.

Xux

Damn, wish you could buy items one by one from the market like in 1.0. Hit a big roadblock at ~20 Armorer where I need Aldgoat Leather for a lot of stuff but the only sets on the market are stacks of 40+ for 40k+. :(

Teknoman

No way to separate stacks?

EDIT: Isnt there some sort of exp boost when leveling lower classes? The larger the gap between them and the first class you picked?

Jinko

Yes but the community is pretty against this idea, its been discussed on the offical forums/beta forums many times now, if SE are stupid enough to go against their user base then they deserve the fall out.

No way to separate stacks?

Right click a stack.

Sakura

Well, I'm no opposed to it, so long as there are ways to get the same armor in-game, without spending money. I mean, they'd probably want to make the conditions for getting the armor pretty harsh, but so long as their was a route to get the same armor without paying extra I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I think they'll mostly go with purely cosmetic stuff though. Minions, special mounts, unique dyes, etc.

I don't think your rare super cool armour means as much though, when some other guy just spent 4 bucks to get it. Honestly, I don't think SE would do anything at the moment that might incur the wrath of their userbase. They want FFXIV to succeed after all the money they spent on it. Maybe down the line they might add a money shop, but I just don't see them doing it any time soon.

Item Box

Yes but the community is pretty against this idea, its been discussed on the offical forums/beta forums many times now, if SE are stupid enough to go against their user base then they deserve the fall out.
People would just end up crying about the game being sub based if this happened and would demand it be f2p, which aint happening

wilflare

really regret not jumping on that GMG 25% deal earlier
is the Digital CE goodies worth the extra 20?

I won't be able to play it regularly but would like to secure the PO goodies and stuff

the Retail CE looks good... but seems like it's sold out mostly

is everyone playing this on PS3 or PC?

Teknoman

Right click a stack.

I mean for those buying materials like Xux...or is that what you meant?

Also I never thought Thanalan was "Thana - Lan". Thought it was pronounced "Thana-lawn". Definitely agree about Raubahn sounding like he was just reading off the pages. I dont think he even has an accent.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Do, I finished up GLA, MRD and PGL each to 15 today sans the class quests due to the instancing problems. I think I will actually keep both MRD and GLD as pocket tanks for the Free Company (to tank for dungeon groups and such) and roll on with my LNC which is currently level 20.

Now, to get some gatherers up to 15 or so and explore fishing =D Then, knocking out some crafts.

Jinko

I mean for those buying materials like Xux...or is that what you meant?

Also I never thought Thanalan was "Thana - Lan". Thought it was pronounced "Thana-lawn". Definitely agree about Raubahn sounding like he was just reading off the pages. I dont think he even has an accent.

Oh no they have removed that for some bizarre reason.

I left feedback about it here

Riposte

I wonder if they will redo the voice acting at some point since everyone seems to dislike it, including Japanese, etc. It sounds more like a budget niche JRPG than "FINAL FANTASY".

Item Box

I wonder if they will redo the voice acting at some point since everyone seems to dislike it, including Japanese, etc. It sounds more like a budget niche JRPG than "FINAL FANTASY".
I have to wonder if any of those people are actually voice actors or did they just grab a couple of random people in-house and have them read off of a paper

I would like if it an entire cutscene was voiced, rather than just the first half and then the second half isn't.

Ikon

Wonderful, couldn't play yesterday due to patching for too long at really slow dl speeds and just as I wake up the servers go down :p

SE, why you hatin'? ;)

syoaran

I got the impression that the Japanese audio quality wasn't to do with the voice actors, but the material they were given. The main characters are voiced by pretty well known seiyū

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...y-Maintenance-(Aug.-25)?p=1056255#post1056255

[EU]Login Limitation After Emergency Maintenance (Aug. 25)

After the emergency maintenance on Aug. 25, 2013 from 7:00. to 10:00 (GMT), to confirm the optimization of the matching server for the Duty Finder, we will be limiting the login more than usual. We will be relieving the limitation gradually as we see oversee the status.

We apologise for the inconvenience that this is causing everyone, but we please ask for continued cooperation for an overall stable environment.

Please be excited.

WolvenOne

I don't think your rare super cool armour means as much though, when some other guy just spent 4 bucks to get it. Honestly, I don't think SE would do anything at the moment that might incur the wrath of their userbase. They want FFXIV to succeed after all the money they spent on it. Maybe down the line they might add a money shop, but I just don't see them doing it any time soon.

Mmm, maybe. I guess it depends on several factors, like how high the subscriber base ends up and such. It it looks like they're going to be able to maintain 2-3 million subs for awhile, then indeed they might not want to risk them.

If they drop under a million though, all bets are off.

desverger

Once the story takes you out of your starting location, the story then takes place across all three starting regions. So, unless you walked to another region before getting your airship pass, you're fine.

Okay, thanks. I did walk to Thanalan since the instances have been bugged and I couldn't complete my level 5 story quest in Gridania :p

But that's okay, I still have my recall set there so once they fix the instances, I'll probably get on with it.

edit: I believe it's Pugilist/Lancer for Monk.

Jomjom

Banned

I thought both were fine. There have been lots of horrible voice acting in Final Fantasy games. Sometimes it's the writing (Troy Baker - Snow) and sometimes its just horrible voice acting (Tidus and Yuna - HA HA HA HA HA moment, Vanille). I don't see FFXIV's voice acting as being that far off from what FF usually has, especially in English.

Teknoman

I thought both were fine. There have been lots of horrible voice acting in Final Fantasy games. Sometimes it's the writing (Troy Baker - Snow) and sometimes its just horrible voice acting (Tidus and Yuna - HA HA HA HA HA moment, Vanille). I don't see FFXIV's voice acting as being that far off from what FF usually has, especially in English.

I dont see why they just didnt go the FFXII / FFT route...which I guess they did with the accents at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom