• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
Every MMO launch ever.
I was able to get a ton of time in last night is more than i can say for every other MMO launch.

Still, you're right. Every MMO has launch problems. There is no avoiding it because nobody can project the amount of people who are going to play or how the servers will handle the load and to be fair the game isn't even technically launched, it's early access so i can't get too upset.

From what i played so far i absolutely love the music, the level up sound and really enjoy the combat. This game really, really surprised me because i was expecting it to be more like the last FF MMO which i wasn't the biggest fan of. Also, 2 things i noticed so far that i really love that are really minor and stupid things that the developers didn't even have to do but when you log in after logging out in a inn. You get up, roll off the bed and stretch. I think that is a fantastic animation and log in and completely uneeded but i love it. Also, when playing as a Lalafell and having NPCs look down and have the Lalafell look up during conversations is a really minor but great touch. Most mmos just give this static look straight stare no matter the size.

They're more of a dps class that can buff the raid, like a hunter (or at least how they used to be), not nearly as supporty as say a bard in Rift or LOTRO. From what I've heard their dps is on par with other dps specs while singing, and outdps everyone when not, so they're definitely balanced around buffing and doing damage at the same time.

While a little outdated, this may help explain the job a little better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXatGXHp4Y - his videos are really good if you want to get a general overview of all the classes/jobs and their abilities.
Appreciate the response and watching the video now.

Archer is always my first go-to class but after initially reading about the Bard i was getting concerned but i might re-roll one. Currently Lancer/Dragoon but i have never been really big into melee classes. Always prefer ranged (Archer/Mage/Wizard) dps classes.

Locked out right as I was going to run my WHM quest. Hopefully I'll be able to get back in and have these instances fixed. I have a feeling that there are going to be a ton of people running story quests well over their recommended level.

I haven't even run Toto yet and I'm already level 30.

My Arcanist is like level 24, and I'm still on the first dungeon (lvl15 story mission), lol. I would have done it by now, but instances have been fucked since the Phase 3 for me (I was 90000 errored for most of P3), and then Early Access obviously is having problems. lol

Zafir

So did the servers just crash or are these errors just happening to only some people?

Pretty much a case of it you're already in you'll be able to play fine until you try and join the duty finder(It freezes up and forces you to alt + f4) or exit the game. Anyone who tries to reconnect or log into servers now seem to be getting the errors. >.<

In other words, if you get in, don't exit out.

Phenomic

Locked out right as I was going to run my WHM quest. Hopefully I'll be able to get back in and have these instances fixed. I have a feeling that there are going to be a ton of people running story quests well over their recommended level.

I haven't even run Toto yet and I'm already level 30.

Where were you leveling that whole time?

Velkyn

I've only been playing an hour or two, but what's with the lack of people chatting? I see hundreds of people running around Limsa, but barely 2-3 lines of chat in /sh.

Anteater

It's a bit better than other launches I think, I got to play a lot consistently, until the duty finder and instance is fucked that is.

I find it funny this always happens right when I have to do a random solo instance quest, but not when I was doing dungeons.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Is it dead?

yep.

It's a bit better than other launches I think, I got to play a lot consistently, until the duty finder and instance is fucked that is.

I find it funny this always happens right when I have to do a random solo instance quest, but not when I was doing dungeons.

That really depends on the game. It's better than some launches sure, but TSW, Rift, etc. had pretty smooth launches.

Then your 'review' is worthless.

It's the launch of an MMO.

Name one that went perfectly smooth.

This isn't even remotely close to smooth, let alone perfectly smooth. Rift's launch was very smooth.

Vashetti

Banned
Go back to sleep North America

ibrOPT0vEsyXiu.gif

Then your 'review' is worthless.

It's the launch of an MMO.

Name one that went perfectly smooth.

This shit is not the norm any more. For the past few years MMO launches have generally been solid. Some latency issues during the first weekend, maybe more maintenance than usual but nothing like what is happening with FFXIV right now.

Noaloha

This shit is not the norm any more. For the past few years MMO launches have generally been solid. Some latency issues during the first weekend, maybe more maintenance than usual but nothing like what is happening with FFXIV right now.

Didn't ArenaNet actually stop selling Guild Wars 2 for a while after official release due to how broken it was?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Of course they are, their population\server count ratio is MUCH lower.

Western interest was much higher than expected, it seems.

They've issues early access codes, they knew exactly how many people to expect in each region and they still put the entire NA/EU load on the the same number of servers as they've given Japan. They just didn't give a shit and decided to make sure the Japanese severs run just fine and screw over the rest of the users. There was no reason they should have 25 JP servers, and 25 NA/EU servers.

"Western interest was much higher than expected" is a bullshit excuse that they can't use till Tuesday, when there actually will be an unknown number of players trying to access the game.

I think Excalibur went down completely now. It was unable to upload the NA/EU worlds, lol. Or maybe it's something else, I dunno. The NA/EU world list isn't updating for me, though.

Phenomic

Well the worlds all just died for me. Everything on the NA World list is now gone and the only servers available are once again Japanese.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

I have different memories from the latest one, GW2, which included me being locked out for the whole first week while they fixed the "You're still online" error.
Or, after then, being launched around in overflow and being unable to party up with friends.

TSW\Rift\TERA didn't have nearly as much hype as this, when your peak is 50k users you really shouldn't have any problem.

On the other hand, it's the first time i've seen a gaming company OVER-estimate maintanance duration, wtf.

antitrop

I was able to get a ton of time in last night is more than i can say for every other MMO launch.
I agree. I got like 3 hours of good gameplay and beginning questing (just, just started, didn't play Beta) in yesterday and I wasn't even really trying to play. I worked for most of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom