• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
My fuck up with my Early Access-code that's kept me from you guys doesn't feel that bad at the moment. Instead of enjoying maintenance and error codes I've worked out, gone on 2 dates and started playing Ni No Kuni. I'll join you next week though. :)

Soroc

At this point there isn't enough optimization in the world to help think IMO. This is hardware limitation due to the amount of people. Like others said they need to add more instance servers as that is without a doubt the main culprit for everyone.

meep!

Neo Member
A couple servers, possibly, but in my experience going overboard on adding servers = a month or two of satisfaction and then another 10 months of bare ass gameplay due to server population being screwed. SWTOR died due to this, among other reasons. They panicked and opened a shit ton of servers, spread the population way too thin...when folks started leaving it was ghost towns all over. WoW has long suffered from the same fate as well - many barren servers and a few super popular ones. EDIT: Higher player caps per server is the answer. More player load. They'll get it sorted, just hopefully before everyone jumps off the deep end.

This is why I believe MMOs have to move away from servers like this and have a more dynamic structure for it that can open new and merge "servers" on the fly, where everyone is essentially on the same server but with diferent instances.

Soroc

Was there official word about the new maintenance? I don't see any updates in the last 12 hours on the offical english XIV twitter

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Doing quests naked has made some of the lv. 20+ ones a little exciting. The difficulty is increasing, but knowing what I know about AF quests now, I'm still rather concerned. I actually lost twice against the GLA lv. 20 quest and had to slightly adjust my tactics. I liked that.

Still, it is very hard for me to enjoy this game right now. Even the aspects I like (namely, the aesthetics, but particularly those that feel associated with Eorzea and not the uncreative fanboy approach to "what is Final Fantasy" that is slowly enveloping it) are being drowned out by the sheer tedium of it being a very typical MMORPG that is too afraid of being "stressful". It is actually harder to enjoy the setting given how systematic and manipulative things have become - how brutally aware I am that this is a MMORPG player's MMORPG. Hanging over it is also my pessimism how it goes out of its way to destroy any sense of community outside of your free company (including having long since lost the multicultural aspect in the process) and how their game design reflects how little they think of the playerbase's intelligence and patience. If you are saying "wait til end-game", then you are failing to see how much of a cynical approach that is to treat players (especially when "it is a real Final Fantasy" is main selling point). I'm really looking for a moment where it clicks, where it is both challenging and not blatantly trying to manipulate me. If they can put forth a piece of content that makes me forget this is a MMORPG that is trying to patronize me, I'll be excited. Server issues at launch a short-term concern to me, so whatever, but I guess they are slowing me down while I try to look for that moment.

That being what it is, what I'm curious is how the game will look when the new MMORPG smell wears off.
I agree that it's your bog standard WOW clone, but maybe you expected too much. I went in knowing they probably had to dumb things down to get that audience.

Emitan

This is why I believe MMOs have to move away from servers like this and have a more dynamic structure for it that can open new and merge "servers" on the fly, where everyone is essentially on the same server but with diferent instances.

Isn't Elder Scrolls Online going to do this?

Anteater

Some of my friends only have time to play on the weekends, phase 4 was fucked for them and so is the early access, sucks for them.

Blizzje

Kind of a repeat of a question I asked earlier but... anyone here who has been able to obtain a bow/sword with a fire or ice attribute that gets shown ingame? Would love to see weapons with an elemental visual to it; plume of fire coming off of the blade, stuff like that.

Omnicent

There is already a lvl 40 on our server. With all these people on the fast track, I wonder how much content there will be at lvl 50.

man what is their equip? They must have grinded the heck out of fates and those don't give a lot of gold, so how did he stay geared up when things start to cost 3k+?

Torquill

So, the unicorn is the only class-mount available for now?

Lame. :(

Could be an attempt to make conj/whm more attractive. Healing has always been the weak link of the trinity. Shit I played a WHM in XI even though it wasn't my favorite just so it was trivial to get groups...

qq more

Early access honestly feels pointless because of all the down times. It's a shame, really. Hope I'll be able to play just fine later today.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Some of my friends only have time to play on the weekends, phase 4 was fucked for them and so is the early access, sucks for them.

I don't know that I would recommend people like that playing an MMO.
Could be an attempt to make conj/whm more attractive. Healing has always been the weak link of the trinity.
Yet there's always more healers than Tanks.

Should have been a Paladin mount but whatever

Zand

Neo Member
I really don't understand why people are using other MMO launches as a way of defending this games poor launch? So what about previous games...you would think companies would LEARN from past failures to do a decent job of launching their game now. Right?

As mentioned above, having a datacenter for the EU would help a lot, and I would agree that having more / better servers that handle all the required instance generation would work as well.

Shouta

Yet there's always more healers than Tanks.

Should have been a Paladin mount but whatever

That's fine if they want to play only on the weekends. MMOs should strive to allow players to play at their own pace and not let them fall behind and be second-string to folks that can sit there all day and play. That's pretty much unacceptable nowadays and unacceptable even back when MMOs were a budding genre.

Jinko

I think we are still a few years away from that, If anyone is willing to do this it will be Blizzard though as they have the money and staff to pull it off.#

man what is their equip? They must have grinded the heck out of fates and those don't give a lot of gold, so how did he stay geared up when things start to cost 3k+?

Leves give a lot of money and sometimes aetherial gear from treasure chests.

Anteater

They played ffxi back in the days, and they have friends they want to play with, but don't have the time like they used to, so they're playing casually, I have a class at those level just to play with them. There really aren't a lot of online rpg games we could play together, everything out there are shooters or things that only last a playthrough or two.

eXistor

Lol, I can't even log in, won't recognise my password (I've reset it three times now, still no dice). I'll just wait and try tuesday or later.

Shouta

I think we are still a few years away from that, If anyone is willing to do this it will be Blizzard though as they have the money and staff to pull it off.

DQX does it already, I think. But they don't have the scale of other MMOs and the way they structure things is different too.

Torquill

I really don't understand why people are using other MMO launches as a way of defending this games poor launch? So what about previous games...you would think companies would LEARN from past failures to do a decent job of launching their game now. Right?

As mentioned above, having a datacenter for the EU would help a lot, and I would agree that having more / better servers that handle all the required instance generation would work as well.
As I understand it, it doesn't happen due to ignorance. It happens due to cost. Estimating load is guesstimation at best. Just because you know how many copies you have, doesn't tell you how players will play, which can greatly affect load. So you have two options, over do it and have a bunch of expensive hardware that isn't being used after launch, just kind of suffer through launch, accepting some hiccups, and beefing up as necessary.

Of course...isn't this what cloud computing is supposed to solve? The online game I worked on we had a cloud solution so it was supposed to be really easy for us to increase load without taking anything down. We could do it just temporarily if we needed too, then ease off as demand decreased. Of course we are not at FF14 level of scale (and no one played anyway so we never had to work through the issue XD)

Meia

So, HOW BOUT THEM SERVERS. COME HOME AFTER DOING LAUNDRY AND WHAT DO I FIND? YEP. GOOD THING I'M NOT WORKING TONIGHT OH WAIT I AM.

>:|

Emitan

Weird, I've observed the complete opposite through the games I've played. Especially this one, for instance there's always 4-5 MRD/GLA at FATEs, but hardly ever any healers.

In SWTOR it felt like our server had more healers than DPS whenever we tried to make a group for a dungeon. Never any tanks ;~;

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im in Gridania and trying to buy the Arcanist starting weapon ... Anybody know where I can buy it? I dont see anyone in the Adventurers Guild that does (or do I need to get past the lv10 story quest first?)

So far, this is a MASSIVE improvement over 1.0

Omnicent

I like this down time. Gives me time to plan my crafting outline for the rest of my crafts (3 more to go till they are all 15).

Torquill

I like this down time. Gives me time to plan my crafting outline for the rest of my crafts (3 more to go till they are all 15).

This tends to be my attitude as well. Planning my cross bar organization (no movement skills like sprint on the D-Pad, etc)

That's fine if they want to play only on the weekends. MMOs should strive to allow players to play at their own pace and not let them fall behind and be second-string to folks that can sit there all day and play. That's pretty much unacceptable nowadays and unacceptable even back when MMOs were a budding genre.

1.0 tried to do that with the Fatigue system, look at the backlash/fallout it received (and deserved).

Ichinii

Wake up -> Can't log in -> Emergency maintenance

PrfolVk.gif

GOLDDD!

Boss Man

I agree that it's your bog standard WOW clone, but maybe you expected too much. I went in knowing they probably had to dumb things down to get that audience.
I definitely didn't expect it to be as "streamlined" as it is. I know a lot of MMOs have been targeting a certain audience that can't deal with a pure sandbox, but it feels a bit like they put every single egg in that basket and paid no attention at all to players looking for a deeper experience. I want open dungeons and NMs with rare loots to go find, dang it.

Having said that, this game is just too gorgeous. I could sit there and play it while reassuring myself that it's cheap fun and isn't going to last, but I'll be damned if I wasn't sitting there playing it anyway and enjoying the awesome art design.

Pejo

My biggest problem, isn't so much the "dumbing down". It's the fact that they stressed the "solo-friendly" aspect so much, that group work isn't required for anything anymore outside duty finder. Even then, that's mostly with people not even on your own server.

Making grouping basically mandatory in FFXI was one of its greatest strengths early on. You were forced to interact, talk to, and otherwise meet players. In this game, it just feels like you're playing a solo game with other people running around, similar as to how i felt in WoW. Even just to have the ability to do XP parties (which you might even be able to for viable XP) would be a great thing to force a tutorial on. The single aspect duties sorta fulfill this, but even then it's probably nobody you'll see again, and they generally only last 5 mins.

I love the game, the combat, the various systems, but I can tell you the reason I played FFXI for 8 years wasn't the combat or the loot, it was the people I met along the way.

Kenai

Im in Gridania and trying to buy the Arcanist starting weapon ... Anybody know where I can buy it? I dont see anyone in the Adventurers Guild that does (or do I need to get past the lv10 story quest first?)

There should be a "market quarter" or something in the city that has a "Battlecraft" vendor or something it it with various starting weapons to sell. I'm not positive all vendors have all weapons. Also, are you high enough level to job switch? I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to switch til I finished my lvl 10 class quest.

I love the game, the combat, the various systems, but I can tell you the reason I played FFXI for 8 years wasn't the combat or the loot, it was the people I met along the way.

I can kinda sorta see that, but there are positives and negatives to both. One could argue that since there are already alternatives like WoW for those who like to solo MMOs they should focus more on party stuff, but I think they went too far in the opposite direction during 1.0 and responded to that negative feedback by toning it down. I Much prefer this version, and I think some folks are underestimating how much you could solo in FF11, or how much we will need our server/FC for stuff once we get some levels.

ACN guild is in LL (Limsa Lominsa) and you don't need to buy the starting weapon, just do the first class quests and you'll get it.

(You also have to be lvl 10 in your first class before being able to change class)

There's a weapon shop in the market on the west side of either old or new gridania. It should have the books, but some NPCs only sell weapons for the jobs with guilds in that city.

Boss Man

Don't mean this in a rude way because I genuinely don't know, but what do you plan to use your crafts for?

I get the impression that it's only going to be used to slot materia, and slotting materia is not something that you can do to end game gear. Couple that with the fact that you reach end game so quickly, and it seems like sort of a waste to spend time crafting. Granted, the crafting I've done so far was actually pretty fun.

Am I missing something about the use of crafting classes? It just seems like a waste since it doesn't grant you the best rewards, and the best rewards seem comparatively easier to obtain.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
There should be a "market quarter" or something in the city that has a "Battlecraft" vendor or something it it with various starting weapons to sell. I'm not positive all vendors have all weapons. Also, are you high enough level to job switch? I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to switch til I finished my lvl 10 class quest.

Yeah Im a level 33 Lancer, lv 25 pugilist, so that shouldnt be an issue :)

The weapons merchant in the market is only selling Gridania weapons (lances, bows, conjurer stuff)

I just remember somebody saying that one of the new things was that the adv. guil sells all the lv 1 weapons for super cheap.

akaoni

Banned
In SWTOR it felt like our server had more healers than DPS whenever we tried to make a group for a dungeon. Never any tanks ;~;

Sages were OP as hell in early levels, so tons of people rolled one. I re-rolled as Sage to play with my friend who was a Sage.

Don't mean this in a rude way because I genuinely don't know, but what do you plan to use your crafts for?

I get the impression that it's only going to be used to slot materia, and slotting materia is not something that you can do to end game gear. Couple that with the fact that you reach end game so quickly, and it seems like sort of a waste to spend time crafting. Granted, the crafting I've done so far was actually pretty fun.

Am I missing something about the use of crafting classes?

Make your own gear, make HQ gear, selling gear, giving friends gear, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom