• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
http://ffxiv-art-of-war.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Hunting_Log

I used this site in Phase3 and it seemed to work.

Thanks a lot yo

Yeah Im a level 33 Lancer, lv 25 pugilist, so that shouldnt be an issue :)

The weapons merchant in the market is only selling Gridania weapons (lances, bows, conjurer stuff)

I just remember somebody saying that one of the new things was that the adv. guil sells all the lv 1 weapons for super cheap.
Have you done your Dragoon quest? Hasn't it changed to MRD?

Sblargh

Banned
The completing bonus XP I get by doing a guildlevel (is that it? the group content thingie of the first lvls) is lost to the other classes?

Meaning, the second time I do this content with another class, will I have another bonus?

Ferrio

Banned
Seriously did I just happen to wake up after maintenance started AGAIN?

They have a fucking camera in my house... i know it.

Kenai

Seriously did I just happen to wake up after maintenance started AGAIN?

They have a fucking camera in my house... i know it.

Haha. it's a 2 hour one this time, and they have actually been good about finishing maintenance on time or sooner (so far) so I'm hoping this is the same way.

Sblargh

Banned
The sad thing is me having to go to the beach now (because what else is there to do?) and see people actually fishing.

I just know I'll be jealous.

Shouta

1.0 tried to do that with the Fatigue system, look at the backlash/fallout it received (and deserved).

I'm referring to making the game more solo-friendly and providing ways to progress even in game without the need to be at the beckon of a large group or so. And yes, I know about Fatigue, I played 1.0.

My biggest problem, isn't so much the "dumbing down". It's the fact that they stressed the "solo-friendly" aspect so much, that group work isn't required for anything anymore outside duty finder. Even then, that's mostly with people not even on your own server.

Making grouping basically mandatory in FFXI was one of its greatest strengths early on. You were forced to interact, talk to, and otherwise meet players. In this game, it just feels like you're playing a solo game with other people running around, similar as to how i felt in WoW. Even just to have the ability to do XP parties (which you might even be able to for viable XP) would be a great thing to force a tutorial on. The single aspect duties sorta fulfill this, but even then it's probably nobody you'll see again, and they generally only last 5 mins.

I love the game, the combat, the various systems, but I can tell you the reason I played FFXI for 8 years wasn't the combat or the loot, it was the people I met along the way.

Not being solo-friendly ended up being the reason I quit after 8-9 years. I really had a higher tolerance for stupid when I was younger because I lasted so long with XI.

At any rate, being friendly to solo/small groups and casuals aren't mutually exclusive to providing an outlet for community building. It just has to be done right.

Don't mean this in a rude way because I genuinely don't know, but what do you plan to use your crafts for?

I get the impression that it's only going to be used to slot materia, and slotting materia is not something that you can do to end game gear. Couple that with the fact that you reach end game so quickly, and it seems like sort of a waste to spend time crafting. Granted, the crafting I've done so far was actually pretty fun.

Am I missing something about the use of crafting classes? It just seems like a waste since it doesn't grant you the best rewards, and the best rewards seem comparatively easier to obtain.

As I recall, multi-meld gear can be pretty powerful with the higher materia. It's expensive but you can get some impressive stats on it. I think you need weapons from end-game content but armor can be quite excellent as far as I remember from 1.0.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
My biggest problem with the game is that kills don't count for everyone in areas.

It took me almost 30 minutes just to kill 6 fucking beetles. Seriously, it's 2013. If you are in an area with 1000 other people on the same quest, kills should count for all.

Thank god that you're actually able to get kill credit for simply partecipating without partying up, it's a major MMO-first.

Alur

This is why I believe MMOs have to move away from servers like this and have a more dynamic structure for it that can open new and merge "servers" on the fly, where everyone is essentially on the same server but with diferent instances.

Yeah, this would spectacular. I have no clue the difficulty of such a thing, but the idea of servers is getting dated. Honestly, if folks just weren't so afraid of losing face and merging servers (or allowing free transfers) not long after launch it wouldn't be a huge deal...but I've yet to see an MMO do it quickly outside of TERA, and as I recall even then it was still too late for TERA.

MogCakes

With the rate at which you guys are posting it's no wonder this has hit 163 pages in only a few days. I have to f5 every few seconds.

Epcott

I've decided to create a character on the JP Tonberry server for when NA/EU go into "maint". If any GAF is there during downtime, add me: SofaKing Ausoome.

Edit: meh, on second thought, I'll just wait until the servers come back. Anyone know if there is a strategy guide to be relaesed at the same time?

Pejo

Not being solo-friendly ended up being the reason I quit after 8-9 years. I really had a higher tolerance for stupid when I was younger because I lasted so long with XI.

At any rate, being friendly to solo/small groups and casuals aren't mutually exclusive to providing an outlet for community building. It just has to be done right.

Yea I get what you're saying, but I'm sure you have some pretty awesome group memories within that 8-9 years, some of which you wouldn't have if it wasn't forced. I still remember the overall story arch and battles for the Bastok Rank Missions, and I did that over 10 years ago. I couldn't say the same for the last 5 Ul'Dah missions I did.

Totally agree about the "mutually exclusive" part though. Instead of limiting what solo players can do, I'd love to see more optional content that is designed with group focus, and not related to Duty Finder.

Lain

I think we are still a few years away from that, If anyone is willing to do this it will be Blizzard though as they have the money and staff to pull it off.#

Blizzard is already working on it, with their virtual servers, with which they'll virtually merge servers.

Lord Phol

Thank god that you're actually able to get kill credit for simply partecipating without partying up, it's a major MMO-first.

It's nice in theory, but it gets really stressful when you are a bunch of people fighting for the same mobs trying to deal enough damage for them to be 'tagged'. Most mobs go down before I even manage to get more than one attack off, just because there's so many people doing the same quests and not enough mobs to go around. The positive side to this is that the mob respawn timers aren't too bad.

My biggest problem with the game is that kills don't count for everyone in areas.

It took me almost 30 minutes just to kill 6 fucking beetles. Seriously, it's 2013. If you are in an area with 1000 other people on the same quest, kills should count for all.

This is one of the most hilarious things I have ever read.

"How'd you level up so fast?"

"Left my character logged in while I went on vacation."

Yea I get what you're saying, but I'm sure you have some pretty awesome group memories within that 8-9 years, some of which you wouldn't have if it wasn't forced. I still remember the overall story arch and battles for the Bastok Rank Missions, and I did that over 10 years ago. I couldn't say the same for the last 5 Ul'Dah missions I did.

Totally agree about the "mutually exclusive" part though. Instead of limiting what solo players can do, I'd love to see more optional content that is designed with group focus, and not related to Duty Finder.
This will definitely be what they focus on post-launch.

Omnicent

Impressive!
Which have you enjoyed leveling most?

All crafts are about the same.

It's more about the abilities. Seriously get Tricks of The Trade, Hasty Touch, and Rumination (you want more than that, but those allow for a lot of master mends with luck). You also want Leatherworkers 15 skill since it reduces durbaility cost by 50% (so 5 instead of 10)

(Manipulation is also nice since it's 3 CP less than Masters Mend and is overall better since you wont waste CP. IE I can use Manip at 60/60 Dura where as MM I would wait till 30 or less Dura. I do this to try and proc better conditions for adding quality. It will only get easier to HQ as I gather the other 15 abilites and make my way towards 50 on all crafts..... eventually)

I am liking carpentry since you actually make gil leveling it from 1-15 IF you have BTN leveled (BTN and MIN are both 20).

SleazyC

Early access is really starting to feel like what open beta should have been. Open beta should have been a way for Square-Enix to do load testing and patch in fixes as needed.

And a bit off-topic, but does anyone know why randomly on Mumble someone will talk and they will sound like a robot. Seems to happen intermittently.

Isaccard

I feel like Arcanist and it's Jobs Summoner and Scholar are completely outclassed by Black/White Mages.

This is purely speculation, but from what I've played I don't see anything that either job can do that can't be done better/the same by the mages with more utility.

Emitan

I need 1.5 levels on my ACN and then I am good to go myself. Though outside of level requirements I have no idea where to start the quest.

My ACN is only level 20 but I've been focusing on leveling up other classes I want to use.

All crafts are about the same.

It's more about the abilities. Seriously get Tricks of The Trade, Hasty Touch, and Rumination.

(Manipulation is also nice since it's 3 CP less than Masters Mend and is overall better since you wont waste CP. IE I can use Manip at 60/60 Dura where as MM I would wait till 30 or less Dura. I do this to try and proc better conditions for adding quality. It will only get easier to HQ as I gather the other 15 abilites and make my way towards 50 on all crafts..... eventually)

I am liking carpentry since you actually make gil leveling it from 1-15 IF you have BTN leveled (BTN and MIN are both 20).

From what craft are those?

Lord Phol

Early access is really starting to feel like what open beta should have been. Open beta should have been a way for Square-Enix to do load testing and patch in fixes as needed.

This happens to almost every MMO, we are just not there yet technology-wise, but perhaps soon. You should have seen the launch of Marvel Heroes, it was so bad they had to compensate people twice, and that's barely an mmo.

Ferr986

Yoshida said recently that Labyrinth of Bahamut wasnt compatible with Duty Finder, so I guess the endgame is where they want you to start looking for people to create parties.

smr00

Banned
This is one of the most hilarious things I have ever read.

"How'd you level up so fast?"

"Left my character logged in while I went on vacation."
What does that have to do with counting killed X towards quest? Doesn't have to give you XP.

In most MMO's, if you are just in close proximity of mobs you need killed for a quest and there are people killing them, those kills count towards your quest. You know why these MMOs do this? To prevent mob ganking and to prevent frustration when there are 90000 fucking people in the same zone. This game will die down in population after the first month so i am not too worried about it but it can be a problem right now and kind of is.

People say long as you get a hit in, bullshit. I got 2-3 hits in on multiple mobs last night and they weren't counted towards the quest. So either it was bugged or it doesn't work that way. It's just amazing how many things this game lacks compared to other MMOs, even MMOs released almost a decade earlier. This game has gone backwards in some cases and that's fine. No game is perfect.

Don't get me wrong i really enjoy a game and i expected this kind of stuff. But at least it isn't as shitty as 1.0.

Wes

venison crêpe

And a bit off-topic, but does anyone know why randomly on Mumble someone will talk and they will sound like a robot. Seems to happen intermittently.

They haven't set up their mumble configuration correctly. Usually a sound input issue in the menu there.

Plus, people not using push to talk.

SleazyC

This happens to almost every MMO, we are just not there yet technology-wise, but perhaps soon. You should have seen the launch of Marvel Heroes, it was so bad they had to compensate people twice, and that's barely an mmo.
Yea, but you'd think after countless companies have launched MMOs that the next company to do so would try to learn from the mistakes of other companies.

Was this posted?
JuTvALZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom