• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

A lot of people were completely locked out of open beta for 24 hours or more. It's been a bumpy road for a while now.

I am aware of that. I even saw that 25,000 post thread on the beta forums. But I don't think it was ever enough to actually cause multiple maintenance periods and I don't think it affected this many people?

I could be wrong though. But it seems like it got worse going from open beta to early access.

Surely there would be less people in early access than open beta?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't know about you guys, but I made a nice alt on the JP server Valefor during Phase 4. Just for situations like this. =)

Torquill

I def don't regret my decision to wakup at 4:00am lol. I had a good 4-5 hours this morning of uninterrupted awesomeness.

So in addition to borking the battle system and putting no music in half the time you're walking around, they didn't even make servers that could actually fit the number of people that are registered to it? LOL SE.

I was gonna log on to try and get some time in and I got the same error as everyone else is getting.

EDIT: Oh, and they might have sorted this out if they had done stress tests longer than two damn days. XD

Torquill

So has there ever been a worse MMORPG launch than this? Not being able to even log in on day 2 is pretty terrible.

Dude, tons WAY worse. 24 hour+ down times. Games not stable a week after launch etc.

Though I think they're winning the specific metric of "Number of times "fixed"" lol

Uthred

Got to play for only a few hours due to maintenance yesterday, then due to the fact that I couldnt complete class quests due to instances. Out all day and just got home to find you cant even get into the game? Sure am loving early access.

Lumine

It's constantly alternating between server is full error and unable to load NA/EU character list. I expected there would be plenty of problems during early access but they're starting to really push it now. At least give us some sort of estimation when we can play again, not all of us have the luxury to sit and retry all day long.

Varna

So has there ever been a worse MMORPG launch than this? Not being able to even log in on day 2 is pretty terrible.

TOR and GW2 were the only other launches I have been apart of...

I don't recall too many problems in TOR other then long waits and too many servers (which ultimately resulted in ghost town servers). GW2 had a lot of connection problems and events breaking left and right.

I would say this is worse since at least I got to play in the other two.

Not even having a queue system just shows how utterly unprepared SE was for this. Considering all the problems with 1.0 they should have at least had a plan.

Vistrix

I don't understand why they decrease the queue amount - won't this cause more strain on the server??

I would prefer it to say "You are in position 14,484" rather than for me to keep requesting its status every few seconds...

Taruranto

It's constantly alternating between server is full error and unable to load NA/EU character list. I expected there would be plenty of problems during early access but they're starting to really push it now. At least give us some sort of estimation when we can play again, not all of us have the luxury to sit and retry all day long.

Pretty much my issue.

I am aware of that. I even saw that 25,000 post thread on the beta forums. But I don't think it was ever enough to actually cause multiple maintenance periods and I don't think it affected this many people?

I could be wrong though. But it seems like it got worse going from open beta to early access.

Surely there would be less people in early access than open beta?

I'm not so sure. For a lot of people it may have been easier to preorder at Amazon and get an early access code(especially since people figured out they could just cancel after getting the code) than to register at SE for an open beta invite. The world definitely seems much more populated in EA than it did in OB. Hard to say though.

Well, that might be the biggest stroke of luck ever.

Restarted my client. Went straight through and logged in on Siren with no errors or queues or anything.

Time to never log off again.

crozier

So I've learned my lesson from earlier today.. been playing since the servers came back up, and I will never log off.
If the game never boots you for idling, I suspect a large number of people will do just this. Tempting to leave the game running overnight and be able to wake up and simply keep playing.

They brought WoW down for like an entire week at one point if I'm remembering things right. After the official launch.
WoW launch was pretty damn terrible. I have so many days of free compensation days that they gave us at launch due to all of the down time.

smr00

Banned
Technically this isn't even launch.

And yes, far worse. Far, far, far, far worse. I have yet to play a MMO that hasn't had launch problems and again, this isn't even launch. It's just early access. Technically launch is in 2 days. But even with these problems it has still went a lot smoother than most previous launches. You will never have a smooth launch because you can't predict how many people are going to buy and log in at the same time. No computer or analyst will ever get it right and there is no way to guaranteeing server stability.

They brought WoW down for like an entire week at one point if I'm remembering things right. After the official launch.
WOW launch was beyond terrible. But then again i don't think anyone knew that WOW was going to be such a monstrous fucking hit. I remember the game completely sold out everywhere and stayed sold out for 1-2 weeks. That game was a phenomenon.

Also, remember Diablo 3 launch? That technically wasn't even an MMO and look how terrible it launched. Any time you launch a MMO you are going to run into problems because no matter how much money you throw at servers or tech people or how much time and money you spend in research you cant fully prepare. It's just an unfortunate inevitable thing that sucks.

Haint

Whoever's idea it was to effectively launch an MMO on a weekend should not only be fired, but blacklisted from ever working on or having any input in an online title, ever.

JLeack

Banned
After trying to get in for 45 minutes I JUST GOT INTO A QUEUE.

I feel like ordering a pizza to celebrate.

EDIT: JUST GOT INTO GILGAMESH. OHHHH MY GODDDDDDDD!

Vistrix

If the game never boots you for idling, I suspect a large number of people will do just this. Tempting to leave the game running overnight and be able to wake up and simply keep playing.

I'm pretty sure it does kick you for idling...It doesn't give a friendly error message though.

Teknoman

So in addition to borking the battle system and putting no music in half the time you're walking around, they didn't even make servers that could actually fit the number of people that are registered to it? LOL SE.

I was gonna log on to try and get some time in and I got the same error as everyone else is getting.

EDIT: Oh, and they might have sorted this out if they had done stress tests longer than two damn days. XD

Whats wrong with the battle system? Also while i'd like the various themes to have a constant loop option, didnt the majority of players want it like that? Cant count the times i've asked someone in XI if they heard "awesome theme X" after an event or while running through an area, and they said they turned off the music/were listening to something else :(

Vodh

Just in case anyone's wondering, staying on the empty character list does nothing - apparently, exiting to main menu and starting again does nothing most of the time too. Every time I've been able to see my character list it's been through logging in through the launcher again.

This is about the issue where you can't obtain worlds list for your region, and it's just some speculative, anecdotal techno-voodoo, so take it for what it is.

Vistrix

Just in case anyone's wondering, staying on the empty character list does nothing - apparently, exiting to main menu and starting again does nothing most of the time too. Every time I've been able to see my character list it's been through logging in through the launcher again.

I think launching the intro trailer does the same thing...

Hagi

Well i've been back in for an hour and everything is fine, except the fact i can't run. Though i think that might be my fault.

JLeack

Banned

Not true. I was spamming by going back to the main menu for 20 minutes and finally got placed in a queue then plunged in 10 seconds later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom