• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

This excuse has long since become meaningless. It's clear SE is just incompetent at this point.

It's not meaningless. It's just MMO fact. I'm willing to bet problems will happen with early access with ESO, Wildstar or Everquest Next. What those problems will be could be anything. Between server maintenance for long hours. To 1000s of people waiting in cue for hours. Or game breaking bugs. Either way. Pick your poison.

Thoraxes

I guess I can play Mario & Luigi
So this reminded me that the boxed copy of New Super Luigi U came out today!

I can keep trying to login while I play on the gamepad :D

eFZZHqX.jpg

It's not meaningless. It's just MMO fact. I'm willing to bet problems will happen with early access with ESO, Wildstar or Everquest Next. What those problems will be could be anything. Between server maintenance for long hours. To 1000s of people waiting in cue for hours. Or game breaking bugs. Either way. Pick your poison.

It's also the weekend too. I expect they're well aware of the issues and are going to increase capacity during the week.

Hagi

Still getting errors, think I'll finally start Animal Crossing instead. Name my village Eorzea and watch all the villagers move out.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This excuse has long since become meaningless. It's clear SE is just incompetent at this point.

As is Blizzard, EA, etc, etc, etc.
Shrug. It'll get better. Eventually.

Their policy is simply different: Let the maximum amount play decently, and fuck off the rest - instead of the usual 'EVERYBODY IN! EIGHT SECONDS OF LAG!"

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I wonder if the source of all this trouble is simply the decision to cram both NA and EU players into one data center. =/

True, especially considering this is a RElaunch of a failed MMO and not just a launch. So glad I was done with this game after version 1.0 and never even considered trying 2.0.

And because is a relaunch it means it should be inmune to all the problems every MMO face on launch?

And yeah, who cares the game is quality now? all that matters is being able to play day 1 (-3) without problems.

LowParry

It's also the weekend too. I expect they're well aware of the issues and are going to increase capacity during the week.

True that. What I'm hoping is they let us to server transfers. I have friends separated all over the place and it's annoying. No way in hell would I start fresh on another server.

I wonder if the source of all this trouble is simply the decision to cram both NA and EU players into one data center. =/

The source of the trouble is that JP gets as many servers as NA/EU combined despite having a fraction of the population.

I don't know how you can be this stupid when estimating launch populations, you KNOW how many copies of the game you pre-sold in each region. It's not fucking rocket science to estimate how many people might want to play at launch based on the wealth of data from previous MMO launches, especially highly anticipated ones. But this is Squenix we're talking about, they pride themselves at being bad at everything. They should have let the Squenix Europe/Eidos people handle the Western launch of FFXIV.

Mairu

As is Blizzard, EA, etc, etc, etc.
Shrug. It'll get better. Eventually.

Their policy is simply different: Let the maximum amount play decently, and fuck off the rest - instead of the usual 'EVERYBODY IN! EIGHT SECONDS OF LAG!"

SWTOR launch was fine?

Kimawolf

And because is a relaunch it means it should be inmune to all the problems every MMO face on launch?

And yeah, who cares the game is quality now? all that matters is being able to play day 1 (-3) without problems.

Well they can't even handle the early access crowd, what makes you think they'll be fine with the full launch? and yeah because it is a relaunch, it means they should have expected the crowd, and planned for it. making excuses for them won't change the fact they screwed this up for the second time.

and no I don't care how "quality" the game is, if I can't even log into it then it doesn't matter to me.

Sakura

In 1.0 wasn't there just only one data centre, in Japan? Kinda weird they add a new data centre and still overloaded.

Torquill

The relaunch talk is irrelevant in reference to the current errors. They rebuilt the server side infrastructure. This is its first release.

aceface

Played for 4 hours this afternoon, did a bunch of story quests, fun times! I hope they can get these technical issues fixed up because once you get on it's a hell of a fun game.

The source of the trouble is that JP gets as many servers as NA/EU combined despite having a fraction of the population.

Servers "hold" pretty well the initial wave of players, the biggest problem is the Duty server. At this point is clear that only one is not enough.

I'd agree that NA/EU needs more servers though, but is not gonna help if we are stuck on just one duty server....

WolvenOne

Yeah, that is a weird decision, and I'm curious whom was responsible for that one.

I mean, whether it was the execs in Japan, or SquareEnix NA/EU just, not wanting to spend the money.

Servers "hold" pretty well the initial wave of players, the biggest problem is the Duty server. At this point is clear that only one is not enough.

I'd agree that NA/EU needs more servers though, but is not gonna help if we are stuck on just one duty server....

Instance servers are usually planned based on a proportion of the available servers. So if you increase the number of servers, you also increase the back end and add more instance servers as well.

Unless you're Squenix, I could see them adding more regular servers for launch and then not adding instance servers. That seems like the kind of intelligent decision those people would make.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Must be a lot of mmo virgins in here if people expected this (early) launch to go any differently than any MMOs first week.

Same shit every time with connection, congestion and other issues with any title.

Varna

Must be a lot of mmo virgins in here if people expected this (early) launch to go any differently than any MMOs first week.

Same shit every time with connection, congestion and other issues with any title.

It's never okay and if people didn't make such a big deal about it who knows if it would ever get fixed.

Well they can't even handle the early access crowd, what makes you think they'll be fine with the full launch? and yeah because it is a relaunch, it means they should have expected the crowd, and planned for it. making excuses for them won't change the fact they screwed this up for the second time.

and no I don't care how "quality" the game is, if I can't even log into it then it doesn't matter to me.

You can plan all along but when you have thousands and thousands of players zerging into servers your plan goes to shit. It's new servers and new network code, that worked quite well in most of the betas. This is the same shit happens in MMO launches, it sucks big balls, I'm affected too, but the whole yelling at clouds is tiring.

Also quality comes first I'd say, you will be able to log, is not like they won't ever let you play the game...

WolvenOne

Multiple duty servers, or one HECKA BEEFY one. I'd just as soon they set up a separate duty server for the EU region though. It'd only alleviate traffic a little, but that might be enough, and it'd certainly help them isolate problems in the future.

Teknoman

I had an extra early access code...but unless monday turns out super smooth/things end up much better in a few hours...

Well I guess it'll be good for whoever wants the extra minion and mog cap.

Multiple duty servers, or one HECKA BEEFY one. I'd just as soon they set up a separate duty server for the EU region though. It'd only alleviate traffic a little, but that might be enough, and it'd certainly help them isolate problems in the future.

I've actually had good luck with the duty stuff today. I just wonder if they misappropriated resources.

Xavien

Nobody has had to pay a dime at this point. We will see. TOR seem to be doing good for a while too.

I did, i paid for the PS3 collectors edition, shop charged my card and everything, have the CE right next to me.

Yeah, don't tell me I didn't pay already.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
A lot :p

You'd have to look on what websites they're selling it. It is about £45 in the UK, so it should be over $60 in the US I guess.

Bah, the problem is that by preordering the game new, I wouldn't be able to play MY account - and I don't actually want to spend SO much money. There is a 'upgrade to collectors edition' option, but that's not available until the game comes out it seems! Bah

Kyoufu

Nobody said it is "ok", but it is simply a reality of the genre. If you are getting yourself into a major MMO Early Access and expecting things not to be rocky, then you're fooling yourself.

"rocky" is an understatement.

I've played MMOs at launch before and only a couple were borderline unplayable. One of which happened to be SE's. :/

Varna

I did, i paid for the PS3 collectors edition, shop charged my card and everything, have the CE right next to me.

Yeah, don't tell me I didn't pay already.

I think my post is being taken out of context. I'm not defending the server issues. I was replying to someone saying all these problems are a sign of the game being a success. I guess it's safer to say at the moment it's still a lot of people just riding the freebie train since early access codes were plentiful.

Teknoman

"rocky" is an understatement.

I've played MMOs at launch before and only a couple were borderline unplayable. One of which happened to be SE's. :/

XIV 1.0 might have had gameplay issues, but I dont remember having any problems once it official went live connection wise.

XI...I cant really say since North America got in after they were into the first expansion.

At any rate, a couple people are posting "look at how I canceled my preorder" screen caps on the official forums, and you've got the odd "S-E is racist because the JP servers have no problems" post here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom