• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
I would stop spouting this kind rhetoric. Competent developers have managed launches no problem. From what I've played the following games all had smooth launches:

- Terra
- Recent WoW Expansions
- SWTOR
- The Secret World
- Neverwinter
- DC Universe

The only two games I remember playing at launch that we're worse than this was OG WoW and Aion (foggy on this one, might not have been as bad).
Neverwinter had a pretty bad launch and SWTOR suffered from bad queues and disconnects.

I can't speak on the rest but i experienced both of those problems first hand.

Torquill

Shitty MMO launches are shitty, and they should be aiming to do better. But this one hasn't been significantly worse than normal.

Double the hyperbole! Double the fun!

Firstly, yes, I agree they should have more servers. Having the same number as JP suggest a serious resource allocation disparity. I doubt we need double though.

Second, you establish the cause of the NA/EU problems is resource allocation, yet then assert it's due to favortism? There is no way JP alone pays for the TWO dev cycles this game has. It takes me, a lay bystander, simple logic to deduce that if more peopel are hitting NA/EU than they stand to make more money from NA/EU. Pretty sure people at SE are aware of this as well. There is no favoritism. That's stupid.

SE is not known for making decisions based on liking to make money. Final Fantasy Type-0 not getting a release outside of Japan is an example of this. Furthermore, they KNOW how many copies of the game they pre-sold in every region. So I defy you to give me a rational explanation for how they could get server resource allocation this wrong even when they should have all the information they need in front of them.

Vashetti

Banned
Bear in mind tomorrow is a holiday for some in the EU.

Please be excited for:

7x7l8Ii.gif

WolvenOne

Thing is, while a lot of earlier MMO's had some of the same problems, or similar enough problems, some people went through those early periods without experiencing those problems.

Similarly, some people will have been lucky enough to go through FFXIV's early periods without experiencing any major problems.

Some people are just lucky, ya know.

Einbroch

Banned
SE is not known for making decisions based on liking to make money. Final Fantasy Type-0 not getting a release outside of Japan is an example of this. Furthermore, they KNOW how many copies of the game they pre-sold in every region. So I defy you to give me a rational explanation for how they could get server resource allocation this wrong even when they should have all the information they need in front of them.

I was sorta-kinda with you, until this.

If their projections said that FFT-0 would make them a profit in the US, they'd release it. You'd have to be crazy otherwise. They're a business. No business would knowingly miss out on an opportunity for profit.

You don't honestly believe that they're holding it back because they spite us, do you?

WolvenOne

Alright, I'm going to get back on my bicycle. Fall and winter are coming folks, don't waste your warm months sitting in front of a computer, waiting for server congestion to let up.

Yeah I know, wrong crowd, still!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hrmm.... I hope I get my pre-order code soon! If I have to wait till tomorrow or something, I might as well just hold off until tuesday and save my money.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
With all the dumbshits flooding in I dont think that the blacklist with a cap of 200 is going to be enough.

Khrno

Honestly the people acting like this is completely fine causes me to complain more than anything else.

"MMO launch virgins hyuck hyuck"

This isn't our first rodeo. It's just the least pleasant one we've been apart of.

I have only played 5 MMOs at launch, in my experience, from good to bad: SWTOR > TERA > ARR > Aion > XIV 1.0

-SWTOR was fine, queues were fast, there was no lag, but there were still a few emergency maintenances during the first few days or first week.

-TERA same as above but queue times in the server I went to were very long.

-ARR, well no need to say, but I have only been left out not being able to log in twice, and it happened yesterday and today and both basically at the same time, so good time for me to go to sleep. In the game I haven't experienced any lag or bugs per se, so that's actually a great thing.

-Aion, the first week was horrible. They had channels to have like multiple layers of the same areas in the same server, to scatter the players, but even so there was huge amounts of lag, the queues had the longest wait I've experienced, they implemented the afk kick on the second or third day, and that helped a bit, but it just made the community complain even more. The game crashed everywhere in the Abyss making the large scale pvpve impossible, in the cities if you had some graphic card error they recommended to high all the player characters (it was an option on the settings) because they didn't have a fix for that, but they did have the option from the beginning.

-XIV 1.0, well, horrible launch all around, but after experiencing that, ARR is like a breeze in the park.

Torquill

I can address both very easily :).

Firstly, regarding Type-0, we are not in a position to know the lost opportunity costs of localizing Type-0. We don't know their staffing details, nor other projects in the works. It's not as simple as "This will make money, put people on it". It's "How much will this make of we use X people? How much more will we make if we put those X people on something else". Now they aren't perfect. They may underestimate demand for the game. But that is probably the number one most common reason you don't see something brought over that you think should be.

Secondly, knowing how many copies of the game are sold does NOT trivially translate into server load. How people play the game matters just as much, more in certain circumstances, than how many people are involved, when you're trying to estimate load on the backend (giggidy).

However, giving JP and NA/EU the exact same number of servers DOES baffle me. I have no explanation for that one.

Einbroch

Banned
Gonna follow Wolven's lead and go swimming. Not gonna waste this beautiful Sunday evening bitching about how racist or inept SE is.

Torquill

Unsatisfied with this ranking, SE quickly modified their strategy to add the login, crashes and queue issues that were lacking the first time they launched.

Ironically. The reason the original launch was so technically smooth was probably because the game was so void of content and features there was minimal load on the server :p.

Xavien

well this is different getting 1017 before getting to my character to select, guess they decided to wall off the lobby servers now.

WolvenOne

Anyone Playing FFXIV with an I3 and 7850 ?

hows the game play ?

Phenom II x4 @4ghz and an overclocked 7870. So my rig is only a smidge beefier.

Mmm, on Desktop High, you should expect somewhere around 50-55fps in most instances, and 30fps in capital towns. I get around 60/38fps.

hamchan

Being out of sync with American time has made this launch pretty great for me. :)

Managed to get 6 hours play in each of the first two days.

Torquill

well this is different getting 1017 before getting to my character to select, guess they decided to wall off the lobby servers now.

It's possible. But a simpler explanation is a delude of people spamming login attempts due to the low login threshold and "unable to login" errors.

teiresias

Unless they all decided to pile en-masse onto the JP servers and crash them. Maybe if frustrated NA/EU players started hammering the JP servers and making Squenix's precious JP playerbase mad, they would pull their heads out of their asses and actually do something.

Seems to me this is the only action that will drive home that the NA/EU playerbase isn't going to take being treated like second class citizens much longer.

Uthred

Math. If it cost 5 million to have the extra padding to save 10,00 customers...did you gain or lose money by this decision? What is the monetary value of reputation? I wasn't going to get into all that, is what I was trying to express. It WAS a fair game for comparison.

Again, nothing to do with the consumer, when the consumer purchases a game theyve formed a contract in good faith with the manufacturer of the game. The customer has paid their money and upheld their part of the bargain, if the developer fails to deliver due to incompetence and being unable to calculate how many servers they need (which they should have a fairly good idea off) thats bad. If the developer fails to deliver because they know they can "get away with it" theyre simply cheating consumers. But sadly they will get away with it because for some reason videogame fans are all too happy to leap to the defence of the poor old embattled games corporations with the battle cry of an unequal status quo i.e. "Thats how it always is". A phrase which both implicitly alleviates the developer of responsibility for their failure while simultaneously casting the consumer as a powerless agent unable to change the status quo.

Well that sort of went off on a tangent and ultimately MMO companies will continue to get away with this shit because populations will drop off and the people who stick around wont be able to work up any ire over it because by and large the dysfunctional relationship between gamers as gamers and gamers as consumers with videogame developers is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

If only I could lot in I wouldnt have to blather on like this ;)

Torquill

Being out of sync with American time has made this launch pretty great for me. :)

Managed to get 6 hours play in each of the first two days.

Yeah I'm a morning person so I've just been getting up between 4-5 am :p. Managed to get a new char (my first) to 15 so far.

Nakazato

Phenom II x4 @4ghz and an overclocked 7870. So my rig is only a smidge beefier.

Mmm, on Desktop High, you should expect somewhere around 50-55fps in most instances, and 30fps in capital towns. I get around 60/38fps.

I am! It plays relatively smoothly on high, doesn't usually dip below 30fps.

Thanks Guys :D I might have to pull the trigger on some parts soon. Im going to miss all the fun.

rockx4

Who's the bright person at SE that decided to just lock people out of the servers instead implementing a competent queue system.

Torquill

Again, nothing to do with the consumer, when the consumer purchases a game theyve formed a contract in good faith with the manufacturer of the game. The customer has paid their money and upheld their part of the bargain, if the developer fails to deliver due to incompetence and being unable to calculate how many servers they need (which they should have a fairly good idea off) thats bad. If the developer fails to deliver because they know they can "get away with it" theyre simply cheating consumers. But sadly they will get away with it because for some reason videogame fans are all too happy to leap to the defence of the poor old embattled games corporations with the battle cry of an unequal status quo i.e. "Thats how it always is". A phrase which both implicitly alleviates the developer of responsibility for their failure while simultaneously casting the consumer as a powerless agent unable to change the status quo.

Well that sort of went off on a tangent and ultimately MMO companies will continue to get away with this shit because populations will drop off and the people who stick around wont be able to work up any ire over it because by and large the dysfunctional relationship between gamers as gamers and gamers as consumers with videogame developers is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

If only I could lot in I wouldnt have to blather on like this ;)

(I wish I could login too XD)

I get what you're saying. And I'm not disagreeing with your principal. They should do better, especially companies of this size. They should embrace cloud computing and backend infrastructures that allow for elastic increase/decrease in resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom