• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

Pretty much every major patch in Vanilla and BC had the servers going down for 48+ hours. TBC varied by server, with the original 13 being down for almost 3 days. Rose coloured glasses in this thread.

Opening week for MMO's are always like this, why do you people act surprised.

My high tolerance was forged because of WoW. Does it suck that servers are down? Hell yes. Is this expected? You bet.

Ha I was in beta and launch for EQ2, CoH, LotrO, SW:TOR, AION, and a ton of others, MMOS are one of my favorite genres to play so I understand that it happens, but this is the second launch of their MMO, the one they had to get right, and it's 2013... These issues should not be happening. This is not 2001 again or 2003 when launching MMOS were still kinda new and anything could happen.

Fact is they dropped the ball, and overpromised and undelivered. It doesn't matter how fun their game is, and it is fun, if I can't play it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Tried all day, never got in. Is it still down?

Qvoth

Has anybody confirmed what the requirements are for white mage now?

should be cnj 30 arcanist 15
guys job requirements are 2 classes, the 3rd class is just something for skills that job will be able to use, i see a lot of people still confused about this

Excalibur seems to be alive again (and full).

EDIT: Small rollback seems to have happened, have a quest that I recently completed prior to it going down.

I think I am gonna go play SimCity just to spite Square.

c2m.gif

CLBridges

Woke up from a nap and thought I would jump right back into this game, but nope! The world is full lol. Looking over this thread, I guess this is what happens with MMO launches. But, I thought SE would do better since they took so much time with this game. Oh well, I'll keep trying. I don't think I've ever paid full price for a game and not been able to play it when I want. Judging by this thread, guess I better get used to it! lol

Shouta

Excalibur has a queue now but I'm getting 90000s when it's my turn, probably because of the zoning out of instance issue. >=|

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Credo

Excalibur has a queue now but I'm getting 90000s when it's my turn, probably because of the zoning out of instance issue. >=|

I've been 90k'd out of the queue between 5 and 10 times now. Not sure if there's any point in continuing, but I guess I will.

Korezo

So is error 9000 real again? I got booted when I was in Uldah now all im getting is error 9000 when I try to get back in? No more hope for me?

You know, something I'd never had explained to me is the technical reasons why this continues to be an issue after 10 years of server/network development. I'm not even upset at not being able to get in. It just occurred to me that I've never really ever read a DETAILED and extremely technical explanation of wtf is wrong with their infrastructure that makes it a pain at launch and/or after launch. I remember WoW having stability issues for months after launch with 45+ minute queue's during primetime.

chrono01

Lain

I went to play some Saints Row 4 for 3-5 hours, then one hour ago I figured I'd try to see if I could get in on Ultros. Naturally it didn't work, but at least I was able to get in on Shiva, so now I have a level 3 Gladiator.

nikos

I finally connect to Gilgamesh for the second time today, and it's stuttering to the point of being unplayable again. My receiving ping/packets (not sure) is around 2900.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Boss Man

It'd be nice if they all got perma'd.
Did they delete some of the posts or something? All I'm seeing is a bunch of people saying let's go play on the JP servers because they're mad the NA/EU ones have been down the whole time. Were they saying distasteful things or something?

Whooter

You know, something I'd never had explained to me is the technical reasons why this continues to be an issue after 10 years of server/network development. I'm not even upset at not being able to get in. It just occurred to me that I've never really ever read a DETAILED and extremely technical explanation of wtf is wrong with their infrastructure that makes it a pain at launch and/or after launch. I remember WoW having stability issues for months after launch with 45+ minute queue's during primetime.

Mostly because it's not a technical issue at all, but an economic one. In order to handle the extraordinary influx of players on an opening weekend, they'd have had to invest millions or tens of millions of dollars in extra hardware. Extra hardware that would then go unused after the initial crush of players subsided after a few days or weeks. I have no doubt they weigh the cost of the extra infrastructure against the lost revenue of players that can't access and give up/cancel orders and find a fiscally happy medium for them.

Ha I was in beta and launch for EQ2, CoH, LotrO, SW:TOR, AION, and a ton of others, MMOS are one of my favorite genres to play so I understand that it happens, but this is the second launch of their MMO, the one they had to get right, and it's 2013... These issues should not be happening. This is not 2001 again or 2003 when launching MMOS were still kinda new and anything could happen.

Fact is they dropped the ball, and overpromised and undelivered. It doesn't matter how fun their game is, and it is fun, if I can't play it.

TOR had the same problems, and it is only 2 years old. People underestimate the difficulties of running a server farm and building a network around it.

I'm ready for my first dungeon except that I'm a DPS so you know how that works out. Lol it's a shitload of DPS outside of Sastash a few tanks and absolutely no Conjurers

.la1n

Well I got to play some Friday / Saturday so I suppose that's something. I imagine Ultros is a no go the rest of the night. Hope things look better tomorrow morning.

Aeana

I think the main thing is that at launch, you have a lot of people trying to do the same things at the same time, which creates congestion. Consider NeoGAF, which also tends to go down during big events. We can handle the number of users, at least it seems so because we've had similar numbers of users at other times without failing, but during events, people love to refresh rapidly which taxes the server more. In the case of an MMO, you have a lot of people trying to log in at the same time, and you also have a lot of people going into the same areas of the world and the same instances and the same everything else all at once. After a while, as things smooth out and people's activities begin to vary, that's when things tend to be under control. I'm sure this can "easily" be addressed by throwing money at the problem -- adding more servers, especially -- but then you end up with way more than you actually need to run the game later on, so it doesn't make economical sense. I'm sure that's what they'll end up doing, anyway, though. They could also have software issues where the stuff just didn't scale as well as they expected, and things like that.

I'm not sure who to contact for a invite for the GAF guild on Ultros, my application was approved. My character's name is Cynric Culide.

Skilletor

Sigh. Wanted to get to level 20. Only gained one level over the weekend, and now school starts.

Meh.

I'm sure it'll be stable when I have time to play it again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom