• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrin87

Can anyone tell me where Costa Del Sol is? I keep hearing about it but have no idea.

Also, does anyone know of really good places to run FATES for a level 22 character? I just joined a Grand Company and am really itching to get my chocobo and some better armor.

antitrop

I'm finding that injecting 16x CSAA works better for this game, at least as far as I can tell, than 4x MSAA. Still a lot of shimmering, though, and I don't want to downsample because of the UI. =/

Bleh, we're probably not getting stable servers until a week later huh?

I'm finding that injecting 16x CSAA works better for this game, at least as far as I can tell, than 4x MSAA. Still a lot of shimmering, though, and I don't want to downsample because of the UI. =/

Have you tried SMAA? I should try that since I've been using the default FXAA.

Salaadin

Anyone who preordered the game is a part of early access and should be able to play now. Legacy is already playing. And theres a bunch of 1.0ers who did the Amazon cancel trick to get an early access code.
I dont think tomorrow is going to be as bad as we think. Though with the servers as they are now, I guess any new players will be a bad thing.

Moaradin

You can increase the UI to 125% at least so downsampling a little bit is fine.

potam

Banned
So...I didn't receive the pre-order items. Whenever I try to register my code it says it's already been used. Is there any point in petitioning about it, or are they flooded with other things right now?

I play on a pretty good PC. My girlfriend wants to give the game a try. She would play on my PS3.

When you get it on PS3, does the full game install to the HD? Can you have a keyboard plugged in (wireless) to type but use the controller to play? Any other differences I'm not thinking of?

I only managed to get one level last night after trying to log it for pretty much the entire today. It's better than nothing I guess but I hope to make some more progress tonight.

Salaadin

So...I didn't receive the pre-order items. Whenever I try to register my code it says it's already been used. Is there any point in petitioning about it, or are they flooded with other things right now?

Nobody got the preorder items yet.

Did you register your code at all yet? You register that code, then get another code, register that one, and that flags your account with the preorder items. If you did all that, youre good and its just up to SE to send them.

I play on a pretty good PC. My girlfriend wants to give the game a try. She would play on my PS3.

When you get it on PS3, does the full game install to the HD? Can you have a keyboard plugged in (wireless) to type but use the controller to play? Any other differences I'm not thinking of?

Installs to HD. Wireless keyboard plug and play works. Biggest difference is probably lack of mouse to target things quickly.

mackaveli

Logged in to Ultros fine this morning. Let's hope today and tomorrow are better than the last couple of days have been.

Yeah I'm sure it will be easier to play the game during the morning and on a Monday too. Tomorrow I'd think it's going to be pretty bad with the game actually releasing.

I hope it gets better throughout the week so the weekend it is up for no down time. Now that would be good.

antitrop

Have you tried SMAA? I should try that since I've been using the default FXAA.

Okay, fuck FXAA. SMAA works beautifully in this game. Also using 32x CSAA kind of gives it a weird filter that almost makes the font look like... Final Fantasy IX or something. I kind of like it, I dunno.

Code:
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.07           //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 98      //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16  //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 75        //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

Installs to HD. Wireless keyboard plug and play works. Biggest difference is probably lack of mouse to target things quickly.

Thanks.

I played XI with a keyboard and mouse (really the keyboard 95% of the time alone). I was really surprised to find that people prefered XI with a controller.

Anyone here play XIV on controller and keyboard and can comment on ease of use?

I was thinking about waiting a week until I registered my copy, so I wouldn't pay one week of fees and not play the game. But with that trouble I had to go through because of GMG, I want to validate my serial as soon as possible to end the drama...

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
is that the exact wording i should be using?

so if my macro is called DoT, then the 1st line should be
Call macro DoT

is that right?

also, wait appropriated time as in like /wait 2.5 or really type wait appropriated time?

/wait supports only integer seconds, i fear, so /wait 2 for instants and /wait 3 for casts.

I'm searching for the 'call another macro' syntax, i think it's /ac MacroName <me>, but i'm not sure.

I think there's also a way to call keybound actions by macro, such as /ac 1, but i didn't test that yet.

Thanks.

I played XI with a keyboard and mouse (really the keyboard 95% of the time alone). I was really surprised to find that people prefered XI with a controller.

It was overwhelming at first. You can keybind shortcuts however you like on the keyboard and once I got used to it, everything is snappy and customizable with the controller

sounds like a pain to tank or heal on controller.

and can you make it so you can switch between the cross thingies by tapping the triggers instead of holding?

my soft lady hands can't handle holding down triggers for a long period of time without discomfort.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I guess duty finder is still boned...I've been waiting forever and still no partners.

qq more

Starting new character as Gladiator. Ul'dah is a desert? I'm fond of deserts in video games... when they're good, I hope it won't be a pain. lol

frequency

and can you make it so you can switch between the cross thingies by tapping the triggers instead of holding?

my soft lady hands can't handle holding down triggers for a long period of time without discomfort.

You can change it to toggle instead of hold or even mixed (hold will work like default and tap will work like toggle).

I thought it would be a great idea but I change target too much as a healer so toggle didn't work out well.

Salaadin

I keep hearing horror stories about targeting with a controller and, for that reason alone, I wont try it.

I do wish there was an option that, when engaged in battle, only enemies are clickable. Or something like that. FATEs with a ton of people are very difficult to target the right mobs. Its frustrating.

/wait supports only integer seconds, i fear, so /wait 2 for instants and /wait 3 for casts.

I'm searching for the 'call another macro' syntax, i think it's /ac MacroName <me>, but i'm not sure.

I think there's also a way to call keybound actions by macro, such as /ac 1, but i didn't test that yet.

I did /wait 2.5 in my DOT macro and it seems to work fine (or maybe it's rounding up to 3? I haven't tested it that closely)

Munba

Starting new character as Gladiator. Ul'dah is a desert? I'm fond of deserts in video games... when they're good, I hope it won't be a pain. lol

Eastern Thanalan especially is an extremely nice area. Some parts doesn't seem 'desertic' at all (love the vegetation around).

NeOak

I keep hearing horror stories about targeting with a controller and, for that reason alone, I wont try it.

I do wish there was an option that, when engaged in battle, only enemies are clickable. Or something like that. FATEs with a ton of people are very difficult to target the right mobs. Its frustrating.
Press Tab?

You can change it to toggle instead of hold or even mixed (hold will work like default and tap will work like toggle).

I thought it would be a great idea but I change target too much as a healer so toggle didn't work out well.

I know you can change enemy targets with RB when you are toggled on - I wonder if there is something similar to switch party members while toggled on?

ul'dah also has one awesome music theme.

man, playing this makes me wish more japanese folks would at least port their stuff to pc. not the best ground texture work, but something about japan and how they animate spell effects and sword swings just looks soo good, having that all at 1080p or higher and at 60 fps.

Meicyn

Gold Member

You can. Configure targetting when your weapon is out to only target enemies. Disable auto-sheathing your weapon. Voila.

Thanks.

I'm a big MMO guy, I've played just about all of them, so I like using keyboards and I think if you can use a keyboard with XIV it's going to be your best option for the more important harder content.

That said, I'm also a big console guy and my PC is hooked up to big ass tv, so for me I will be playing with controller as much as possible, it works really well and is a lot of fun to play that way. If your really good I can see it being just about as good as playing with a KB&M.

Lord Phol

Yes you can, you can also switch it from the triggers to the L1/R1 buttons, which is the way I'm currently playing on PC. Targeting can be a bit bothersome on the controller but once you get used to it and mess around a bit with the settings it gets alot better. I mainly hold R1 and press L2/R2 to switch between targets.
Never use X for targeting enemies.

I'm a big MMO guy, I've played just about all of them, so I like using keyboards and I think if you can use a keyboard with XIV it's going to be your best option for the more important harder content.

That said, I'm also a big console guy and my PC is hooked up to big ass tv, so for me I will be playing with controller as much as possible, it works really well and is a lot of fun to play that way. If your really good I can see it being just about as good as playing with a KB&M.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZTMG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Was planning on getting this anyway. But I guess I can get it now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom