• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing horror stories about targeting with a controller and, for that reason alone, I wont try it.

I do wish there was an option that, when engaged in battle, only enemies are clickable. Or something like that. FATEs with a ton of people are very difficult to target the right mobs. Its frustrating.

On some fates I have to cycle through about 30 carbuncle pets before I can target a mob. I haven't found a way to disallow pet targetting yet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZTMG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Was planning on getting this anyway. But I guess I can get it now!

Yup. A fried uses that one.

I've got a wide flat arm rest on my couch that works well for my mouse, and I use the Logitech solar keyboard.

I enjoyed my time in beta 4 playing with controller and I will continue to play like that for as long as I can, but I can tell in some harder group content or if XIV has some PvP that I get interested in I will be switching to KB&M as fast as possible. It just so much faster to target the right things, so much quicker to turn around and so much easier and faster access to more abilities.

lol51

Hmm... is there a way to show the item tooltip for an Item that I'm equipped with and an Item I am mousing over? Lets say I want to do a comparison and I have horrible short term memory... I want to see both items side by side.

Woohoo I was able to make a character on Diabolos this morning! Could not login to any realm yesterday. Now I just need to get off of work... :(

Any other gaffers in the diabolos area? My character's name is Caleb Plays. I'll be going the Paladin route and am down for a leveling buddy @_@

TheContact

Thanks.

I played XI with a keyboard and mouse (really the keyboard 95% of the time alone). I was really surprised to find that people prefered XI with a controller.

Anyone here play XIV on controller and keyboard and can comment on ease of use?

You'll definitely get more control and be more precise with your targets on a keyboard. The biggest problem I've found with controllers is that with multiple enemies, even when facing the target, the auto target sometimes chooses the wrong target, and you have to cycle through targets to get the right one..just takes up time. As far as using abilities, it's just as easy if not easier to use abilities on the controller, it just takes some getting used to. Free movement on controller is definitely superior to mouse and keyboard controls. All in all, for casual play I'd say stick with a controller but if you're going to do some hard content that requires precision targeting then stay with a keyboard+mouse

Salaadin

You can. Configure targetting when your weapon is out to only target enemies. Disable auto-sheathing your weapon. Voila.

I was digging through the menus Saturday specifically looking for something like this and couldnt find it. Is it under the targeting section of character settings?

And does it work for kb/m as well...like itd only let me click on enemies?

Is there any way to determine quest level from the map? Makes walking around in lower level areas kinda annoying. I want to save those quests for my other classes.

Einbroch

Banned
Is there any way to determine quest level from the map? Makes walking around in lower level areas kinda annoying. I want to save those quests for my other classes.
Map? Not that I know. But leveling alternate classes becomes all about FATEs, killing monsters, and running instances, as you get massive EXP bonuses from all those and not quests.

So I wouldn't worry about it. I got to level 8 on my alternate class in like 15 minutes from simply killing monsters and doing FATEs. I outpaced the quests of an entire area by the time I completed just one quest.

Scrawnton

Hey guys, are the servers working fine now? I am at work and I didn't get to play at all yesterday because of their mess.

Will I be able to play when I get home from work this afternoon?

You'll definitely get more control and be more precise with your targets on a keyboard. The biggest problem I've found with controllers is that with multiple enemies, even when facing the target, the auto target sometimes chooses the wrong target, and you have to cycle through targets to get the right one..just takes up time. As far as using abilities, it's just as easy if not easier to use abilities on the controller, it just takes some getting used to. Free movement on controller is definitely superior to mouse and keyboard controls. All in all, for casual play I'd say stick with a controller but if you're going to do some hard content that requires precision targeting then stay with a keyboard+mouse

I agree with your main point, but I don't agree with some of the smaller things.

How is using abilities easier or even as easy as keyboard? You get access to only 16 abilities easily on controller and the dpad ones can't easily be used while moving and if your running and moving your camera you can't really hit any of your abilities. Obviously you can stick to your target and that helps solve some of these issues, but if your trying to circle around behind an enemy those dpad buttons are harder to hit.

Also free movement is more fun on the controller and feels great, but it's not better. Mouse turning alone is enough to make KB&M better.

I love playing on controller though. Haha. It's really fun and kinda relaxing. It makes me read more of the quests since I feel more like I'm playing a console game than an MMO where I normally read nothing. Haha.

Cetra

I thought I heard somewhere that sometime between Early Access and Official Launch the servers would be turned off. Did I hear right or are they planning to leave the game up now?

Shouta

Finished my MNK AF before I went to bed last night. Never got it during 1.0 so it's nice to have finally. It also saves me some cash, lol.

Agreed. I use controller + keyboard and the only problem I really have is during FATE encounters where I can't target the enemy I need to. Apart from that the control scheme is very well designed.

Map? Not that I know. But leveling alternate classes becomes all about FATEs, killing monsters, and running instances, as you get massive EXP bonuses from all those and not quests.

So I wouldn't worry about it. I got to level 8 on my alternate class in like 15 minutes from simply killing monsters and doing FATEs. I outpaced the quests of an entire area by the time I completed just one quest.

Awesome, thank you. I am kinda regretting my Arcanist decision. Maybe I am not a DoT guy.

Vestal

So we have forgone the queues and straight up throw the 1017 message of try again later?!?!

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!?!?!

Wait, if I have pre-ordered the normal edition do I get a pet as well? Or is it restricted to some regions?

Also is the iOS app supposed to be out 1 week after launch?

I'm not sure on that; I know all preorder bonsues/CE bonuses get delivered on Launch Day through the mail system in game.

I also believe you are correct in regards to the iOS app.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I'm glad they extended early access to the 29th, because at this rate I won't be buying the game until I know I can actually play it. I got to level 15 saturday afternoon, was unable to progress due to the instance servers being fuba'rd, and I haven't been able to log in period since.

/sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom