• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

I logged out because my LS told me that if I relog I'd get my 1.0 CE items in the mail.

imadeahugemistake.gif

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

I'm never logging out.

Kokonoe

Banned
Warrior is a (AOE) tank and an off-DPS. It deals damage but the other DPS jobs will get more punch on the whole.

Warrior is a tank role in this game. They do more DPS than a GLD or PLD, but you won't see numbers like a DRG, MNK, etc.

Awesome. I am truly loving the well thought out job roles for classes in this game. Thanks for the help.

Fortunately I don't need an airship to get to Gridania since I can easily just travel on foot from Ul'dah.

But yeah, I'll try to get to LV15 anyways I suppose.

Welp, you heard em, qq more. You're going to be a AoE Tank with some DPS. Also, it's because level 15 means partying with people. (I think)

Z3M0G

How is logging into the game working right now? I'm hoping to get a feel for how things are going to be in 2 hours once I'm done work...

IGN live feed this evening too right?? That is a lot of exposure for the game... Maybe IGN will just do a feed from a JPN server.

This cooperbell mines story quest. All day since 12[6 hours ago] I have been standing out side waiting for a party of for the Duty finder to match me with people but nope. Still there...still waiting..

Try asking in GAF? Should be people willing to help. Level sync means people outside of your level can go back and help without any issues.

Panda Rin

How is logging into the game working right now? I'm hoping to get a feel for how things are going to be in 2 hours once I'm done work...

IGN live feed this evening too right?? That is a lot of exposure for the game... Maybe IGN will just do a feed from a JPN server.

I had no problems this morning, and I just relogged without a hiccup to get my preorder items.

Can't wait to see their live stream of the start menu.

qq more

Awesome. I am truly loving the well thought out job roles for classes in this game. Thanks for the help.

Welp, you heard em, qq more. You're going to be a AoE Tank with some DPS. Also, it's because level 15 means partying with people. (I think)
What exactly is an AoE Tank? I'm not too familiar with these terms since I'm still a MMO newbie. I know what DPS means though.

Oh, I kept thinking it was lv10 was where you started a party but I thought wrong... dang. So ridiculous lol.

Shouta

Warrior is a tank role in this game. They do more DPS than a GLD or PLD, but you won't see numbers like a DRG, MNK, etc.

I think PLD does pretty solid damage on single targets. I'd need a parse but looking at the skill layouts but it wouldn't surprise me if PLD was outpacing a WAR a little bit in that area.

WolvenOne

So the impression Im getting from reading comments is, better than yesterday, but still not perfect.

Mm, hopefully things will improve a little everyday. If so things should be fairly steady by mid to late week.

Also, hopefully I can get in when I get home from work, im already feeling withdrawel.

Tarazet

I think PLD does pretty solid damage on single targets. I'd need a parse but looking at the skill layouts but it wouldn't surprise me if PLD was outpacing a WAR a little bit in that area.

I would be very surprised if that was the case. The Warrior is built around Defiance, which nerfs your DPS by a very high amount while boosting your HP and providing damage reduction. Without that stance on, they do a tremendous amount of single-target and AoE damage. Gladiators don't come close and neither do most DPS for that matter.

HeavensSword

Neo Member
... Also, it's because level 15 means partying with people. (I think)

No problem; also the reason people say to wait until 15 are for a few reasons:

a) After completing your starting class quests around level 10 you gain the ability to unlock other classes and can actually travel to another city on foot if you want to. If you hold out until level 15, you will unlock airship access by doing your story quests. This makes travel easier and quicker. :)

b) Most Jobs require a main class of 30 and sub class of 15 to unlock. For instance in order to unlock WAR you'd want to level MRD to 30 and GLD to 15. So some people level the sub class to 15 first and then switch. (Don't have to do it in that order of course)

Z3M0G

Can't wait to see their live stream of the start menu.

I hope they have an "understanding" demeanor about the situation... Maybe they can start with JPN server character, show the intro stuff, then try the NA/EU servers now and then to show off an already developed character they have there. I think that might be a good approach.

As long as they don't fly off the handle about the situation... Sure, launch is tonight, but MMOs are MMOs.

Khatoz

What exactly is an AoE Tank? I'm not too familiar with these terms since I'm still a MMO newbie. I know what DPS means though.

Oh, I kept thinking it was lv10 was where you started a party but I thought wrong... dang. So ridiculous lol.

AoE is Area of Effect, for tanks it means that it is easier to keep multiple enemies on yourself.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I love this game, but SE is making me hate them... honestly.

Early access has been mired with issues, that 8 months, 1 Alpha and 4 Beta's were supposed to hammer out.

I love how Yoshida is still saying he's going to limit people from logging in, even the new customers who will going home with the game tomorrow.

You know, I always believe that when people do stupid things, or act with a lack of better judgment, they get what's coming to them.

SE needs us more than we need them, and I know a lot of people who are already cancelling their preorders or have. I am hesitant to even pick up my copy of the game now, just because of Yoshida and Square Enix's lack of better judgment when it comes to XIV.

First they make a crappy game (XIV), which was mired by launch issues and just sucked. Then they promise ARR wouldn't be mired with launch issues, only for it to be (it will only get worse tomorrow). Then, I feel like they're being racist, by keeping the Japanese and Americans/Europeans apart, which makes for a better experience for the Japanese, as they've had no issues with the game since early access started (and will have no issues when the physical game goes on sale there).

Unless SE pays the review sites to overlook the issues the game is plagued with, I hope to God review sites and the gaming press puts this game through the ringer. Tough love, baby.

SE doesn't mind asking us for our money to buy the game tomorrow, but Yoshida is only apologizing, while also saying he plans on restricting people's ability to login until he sees fit to lift the limitation.

I hope to see lots of BBB filings, due to their shady business practices of, "Oh, please buy the game, but understand that we will hamper your ability to play."

If this were an MMO that didn't have 8 months, 1 Alpha, and 4 Beta's to iron out the kinks, these launch issues wouldn't bug me. However, they had that long, so there is no excuse.

It's almost as if they're focusing their efforts on making sure there are enough servers and bandwidth for Japan, while NA/EU get the shaft in terms of allocated servers and bandwidth.

I can't wait until tomorrow. I hope the review sites stick up for us customers (especially unknowing customers who buy the game tomorrow and get ripped off), by slamming SE hard enough that they pay attention to the NA/EU players who just want to play, by not being cheap with us.

If this is the game that sends SE into the red, that's their fault for their lack of common sense. Sometimes you gotta be knocked down before you truly learn your lessons. I think it's time SE was brought down a peg.

EDIT: The game may be running stable for some, but not all of us. I teleported from Ul'Dah to Gridania, and I was met with an error 90000. Once I got back in (this was about 30 minutes ago), my sound has been cutting out, and NPC's are taking a long time to show up.

This game is far from running stable, and tomorrow will be much worse.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So the impression Im getting from reading comments is, better than yesterday, but still not perfect.

Mm, hopefully things will improve a little everyday. If so things should be fairly steady by mid to late week.

Also, hopefully I can get in when I get home from work, im already feeling withdrawel.

I doubt anything has changed on Squares end. Better performance is probably down to it being a weekday and people are back to work.

Cryst

how do you do Grand company leaves? Current Leevemates don't give any & GC NPC neither ?

After you've joined a GC, the NPC inducting you tells you where your first GC Levemate is. For Maelstrom, it was at Moraby Docks. You will also find GC Levemates in outposts as you continue the story.

WolvenOne

PS

People, please do not log in and leave your characters idle to save a spot. Ifxa significant number of people do that it'll destabilize the servers. I understand, Iwish there was a way to guarantee I could get in after work too, but that's just as likely to backfire and ruin the experience for many people.

Okay, granted, I have no such authority to make such requests, but still, is really appreciate it.

Ricck

After you've joined a GC, the NPC inducting you tells you where your first GC Levemate is. For Maelstrom, it was at Moraby Docks. You will also find GC Levemates in outposts as you continue the story.

thanks! damn must of missed that part!

I'm not sure I understand why the servers are still up. It is clear (to me anyway) that major maintenance is required since launch is less than 12 hours away.

Tarazet

Ohhh. So it's possible of me to take down multiple enemies at once? Sounds amazing...

As a Marauder/Warrior, you can do your Heavy Swing, Maim, Storm's Eye combo so you do extra damage, use Bloodbath (heals you based on the damage you do), and Berserk (attack power +50%), and spam Overpower and hit all targets in melee range. Right around the time you run out of TP, you get a debuff from Berserk that prevents you from using weapon skills for 5 seconds so you can recover, but by that point, everything should be dead.

Z3M0G

The rest of the community that can't log in because of you and people like you, give thanks

Yah... I logged in this morning and played for like 10 minutes and then logged out... I could have been a dick and left myself logged in for 8 hours until I was done work... but I know that's not helping the current situation.

PS

People, please do not log in and leave your characters idle to save a spot. Ifxa significant number of people do that it'll destabilize the servers. I understand, Iwish there was a way to guarantee I could get in after work too, but that's just as likely to backfire and ruin the experience for many people.

Okay, granted, I have no such authority to make such requests, but still, is really appreciate it.

I can only heartily recommend this request.

So I take it you picked Gridania? Maybe I'll run into you in-game.

Yep, I did. It's lovely, kind of reminds me of Lothlorein from LOTR. We probably will be seeing each other in game

WolvenOne

I doubt anything has changed on Squares end. Better performance is probably down to it being a weekday and people are back to work.

Yesterday Square was deliberately limiting Logins, and also permanently disabled the Queue. So things, "have," changed on Squares side today. The lower weekday traffic helps too of course.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I'm not sure I understand why the servers are still up. It is clear (to me anyway) that major maintenance is required since launch is less than 12 hours away.

The way I see it, if no one makes a fuss about it, customers who are waiting to purchase tomorrow, who don't know what's going, will buy the game and help them make money... in NA/EU that is.

Yoshida said he plans on limiting people's ability to login for the best of the game. He didn't say anything about fixing the issue, maybe by... you know... adding more servers here in NA and in EU.

They're treating the NA/EU userbase like crap in this matter, while the Japanese gamers have been playing without issue since early access started.

As long as they get their 30 bucks a pop tomorrow, what do they care if any certain individual gets in? It's that customer's time, not theirs.

I hope reviewers of the game will show no mercy to this game, honestly. It needs to be made aware to customers who are about to plop down money, not knowing they aren't gaurenteed to play tomorrow. By that time, it's too late to return the game for a refund, because the shrinkwrap has already been torn off.

LTWheels

The worst thing IMO was having the US and EU servers in the same physical location. The EU servers should be physically located in Europe not North America. It's better for us EU players as we will have less lag. It's better for the US and EU players as it will reduce the server loads.

Riposte

Haha, I got done over so bad. While in the middle of two /tell conversations, I got 90000'd and now the server is full. I think/hope it saves /tell history, so I'll get back to them I guess.

Anyway, for Sargatanas folk: I've started a LS designed to find members on the server for quest battles and such. Ideally, the individual members of the LS will report party requests to and from their personal FCs, making a network that connects players across the server. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Seeing how this is the kind of community I want, I thought I would at least try.

EDIT: Since it is easy for me to miss replies, being busy playing (or trying to play) just PM if you want a pearl or /tell me in game (Blaetrot Pfarskoefsyn).

Salaadin

Then, I feel like they're being racist, by keeping the Japanese and Americans/Europeans apart, which makes for a better experience for the Japanese, as they've had no issues with the game since early access started (and will have no issues when the physical game goes on sale there).

I dont think SE is being racist. I think they fucked up and underestimated what they would need for certain regions while overestimating others.

Theyre in a tricky spot. Its either take the servers down during early access and watch everyone eligible complain about it or leave them up but hard cap them, leaving only a portion of eligible people unhappy with them.
Leaving them up provides no fixes though so, ideally, they would take them down and work out the issues. But theyre not so here we are.

The way I see it, if no one makes a fuss about it, customers who are waiting to purchase tomorrow, who don't know what's going, will buy the game and help them make money... in NA/EU that is.

Yoshida said he plans on limiting people's ability to login for the best of the game. He didn't say anything about fixing the issue, maybe by... you know... adding more servers here in NA and in EU.

They're treating the NA/EU userbase like crap in this matter, while the Japanese gamers have been playing without issue since early access started.

As long as they get their 30 bucks a pop tomorrow, what do they care if any certain individual gets in? It's that customer's time, not theirs.

I hope reviewers of the game will show no mercy to this game, honestly. It needs to be made aware to customers who are about to plop down money, not knowing they aren't gaurenteed to play tomorrow. By that time, it's too late to return the game for a refund, because the shrinkwrap has already been torn off.

There have been issues with Japanese servers as well.

Do any of you complaing about the great Japanese conspiracy ever stop to think why they aren't having as many problems?

Uthred

PS

Sure people should probably log out to be fair, but your reasoning doesnt make any sense, how do, say 100 people logged in but AFK make make the server any more or less stable than 100 people logged in doing stuff. Logically the latter should in fact be more destablising.

Desi

Blah! Was reading mail while using duty finder and a party popped up on it. Now I can't read my messages! Helm of light and behemoth chocobo gear in item limbo....

WolvenOne

Sure people should probably log out to be fair, but your reasoning doesnt make any sense, how do, say 100 people logged in but AFK make make the server any more or less stable than 100 people logged in doing stuff. Logically the latter should in fact be more destablising.

It's not 100 people I'm worried about, it's 10,000. It doesn't really matter if people are doing something or not, the servers can only handle so many connections at once before it starts becoming unstable. If 10,000 people are in the server, standing around doing nothing just to save a spot, it becomes that much more likely that the server will start experiencing death throes.

There's a reason so many MMO's automatically log off players after being idle X, Y, or Z number of minutes.

Teknoman

The ironic thing is that XIV 1.0 while lacking in gameplay, was perfectly fine server stability wise...while 2.0 is tons of fun along with having lots of things to do...and then they under prepare server wise.

You'd think in a special case like this game, they would do better to over prepare early on.

Jira

There have been issues with Japanese servers as well.

Do any of you complaing about the great Japanese conspiracy ever stop to think why they aren't having as many problems?

It's pretty obvious the amount of people playing in Japan is far less than NA/EU. I don't understand why SE didn't take half of their resources from Japan and put them into the other two markets where not only are MMOs actually popular but PC gaming in general.

Tarazet

The load on the instance servers has been the biggest issue, but the only way they can really deal with it is throttling logins, since if people are in the game, they are going to be pinging the instance servers regularly for story quests and dungeons.

WolvenOne

Blah! Was reading mail while using duty finder and a party popped up on it. Now I can't read my messages! Helm of light and behemoth chocobo gear in item limbo....

Erf! Hopefully you can get that mail to come back up.

Odd that they're using internal mail to distribute these things. I figured they'd distribute them with the game keys coming from the retailers.

The load on the instance servers has been the biggest issue, but the only way they can really deal with it is throttling logins, since if people are in the game, they are going to be pinging the instance servers regularly for story quests and dungeons.

I think, sucky as it is, they should have implemented a queue for the instanced story quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom