• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats your right of course. Gotta say though, seems a bit rash, seeing as most the issues are likely to disappear within a week. Queues and such during the first week of an MMO's release are, kinda typical.

Edit: The Queue was disabled yesterday, which was kinda foolish on Square's part but, thats why you didn't see one.

mmos have launch problems. haven't played one where you can't do quests that are tied to your progression lol.

I still find it hilarious that there are still people in this world that take days off work to play an mmo at launch.

what a waste.

Ferrio

Banned
well, the game itself wasn't as fun to play, so there weren't as many people trying to get on. Plus, while there may not have been errors, dcs, lockouts, etc like we are seeing now, the lag to do anything in the game was quite brutal (literally seconds to perform transactions with NPCs, for example)

The difficulties of success.

Eusis

Oh yeah, in regards to the player list in the OP: should I be counting MMOs I only tried a brief trial for? WoW's kind of hazy as it is for me but at least I bought it (for $5) and am familiar ENOUGH and GW2 I didn't sinks substantial time in but I own so I can play whenever, but EVE? I just flirted with a free trial before deciding it wasn't my thing.

Salaadin

I have absolutely nothing good to say about the AFKers. Why shouldn't they be kicked? If they haven't moved in one hour, they should be booted.

"Saving a spot" on the server is not an excuse, that's just selfishness.

What about someone like me who wasnt able to play at all yesterday and likely wont be able to tonight once everyone else is home? Should I just never get to play because I work during the day?

Besides, auto kick is shit in a game like this. FFXI had it and most people turn that off in the first week. It helps prevent idling but, in the long run, its more frustrating than anything.

Vodh

Been playing uninterrupted for the past 8 hours... Should I relog for the early access/CE items or not, that is the question...

Im going to assume this is related to 11s method of "plant your character down here and sell your own items from your inventory while you're afk" for player ran shops

Like they said they didn't kick anyone out because of that so why kick anyone out this time?

Except I think 11 did have an auto-kick on by default (but you had the option to turn if off if you wanted to bazaar all night)

WolvenOne

What about someone like me who wasnt able to play at all yesterday and likely wont be able to tonight once everyone else is home? Should I just never get to play because I work during the day?

Besides, auto kick is shit in a game like this. FFXI had it and most people turn that off in the first week. It helps prevent idling but, in the long run, its more frustrating than anything.

Hey, on both Saturday and Sunday I had to stay up into the weee morning hours to get any gameplay in. I still didn't log on and idle before leaving for work though. Idling to save a spot not only takes up server space, but also affects how other people are going to play the game. Anybody whom cannot log on during the day, is liable to continue trying to log in later tonight, further destabilizing things during peak hours. Where as, if that same person gets 2-4 hours of gameplay in now, they're more likely to go out and do something else later tonight.

I realize that you want to play, and that you want to play badly. However, idling increases the chance that the whole server will end up seizing up, ruining the gameplay experience for a lot of people, yourself included.

It's just not worth the risk, to yourself as well as others.

All this talk about how auto kicking and idling all day, though, are really just distractions from the fact that they need to fix the underlying issue.

Cryst

I'm surprised that the game's main story quest requires so many dungeons to progress. What happens a year from now when most people won't be running lowbie dungeons? How would I progress as a new player then (besides the obvious answer of joining a FC for help)

Kibokun

I understand your frustration, as I wasn't able to get in for the limited amount of time I had to play this weekend too. However, what if everyone on a time constraint just 'saved their spot' by going AFK until the evening? Then those who could only play during the day might be unable to do so because of players saving their spot until the evening. There's no solution in this system.

In an ideal model, a spot on the server is a limited resource to which every customer has equal access. There's no way to even approach that equity when saving a spot becomes the way to get in. Not everyone can leave their computers on all day.

mackaveli

Anyone having log in problems?

I just logged in after coming home from work and got in with 0 errors or anything? Lucky or they fixing shit?

I'm surprised that the game's main story quest requires so many dungeons to progress. What happens a year from now when most people won't be running lowbie dungeons? How would I progress as a new player then (besides the obvious answer of joining a FC for help)

Level sync and leveling other classes

WolvenOne

All this talk about how auto kicking and idling all day, though, are really just distractions from the fact that they need to fix the underlying issue.

Yes of course. They need a better Queue system, and need to reinforce their servers slightly, to be more resistant to such heavy traffic.

That doesn't mean that we should compound the problem with irresponsible behavior however. We'll all be able to enjoy the game eventually, but people will enjoy it far more, far sooner, if fewer people are abusing the servers.

Tarazet

Exactly. I've gotten very little play time between 3102, 90000, and spending most of yesterday trying to get logged on. If they're going to leave me a loophole that will increase the probability I can play uninterrupted when I get home, I'm going to take it.

WoW has it. I think it should be not only on by default, but also undefeatable. That's the only way it will make a difference.

Vodh

I wouldn't be too worried about that. Unless the game's dead, there will be people running all kinds of dungeons. WoW has been out for 8 years and during all this time I don't remember having too much trouble finding groups for low level instances, playing on and off as I've been and leveling alts.

Kibokun

Yes of course. They need a better Queue system, and need to reinforce their servers slightly, to be more resistant to such heavy traffic.

That doesn't mean that we should compound the problem with irresponsible behavior however. We'll all be able to enjoy the game eventually, but people will enjoy it far more, far sooner, if fewer people are abusing the servers.

Totally agree there. It really kind of worried me that the apology from Yoshi, while probably genuine, did not address whether we would be seeing these problems for launch week or whether they even saw a way out.

In any case, I'm sure it will settle in time, so I'm not actually upset.

Oh I agree - I just didn't want my comments to come off as though I was defending the game's obvious infrastructure problem by laying the blame on how people are choosing to play it, even if I think it's irresponsible.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ultros is full again :(

kyoakuma

Banned
I understand your frustration, as I wasn't able to get in for the limited amount of time I had to play this weekend too. However, what if everyone on a time constraint just 'saved their spot' by going AFK until the evening? Then those who could only play during the day might be unable to do so because of players saving their spot until the evening. There's no solution in this system.

In an ideal model, a spot on the server is a limited resource to which every customer has equal access. There's no way to even approach that equity when saving a spot becomes the way to get in. Not everyone can leave their computers on all day.

why not do what GW2 did? one server had a backup so that overflow went into the backup and were able to play, and when the main cleared up, they got bumped to the main spot.

DarkKyo

My guy looks like a real weirdo.
OzHlHe2.jpg

c5QlI6A.jpg
Having the puppet pet makes me miss puppeteer...

Ferrio

Banned
why not do what GW2 did? one server had a backup so that overflow went into the backup and were able to play, and when the main cleared up, they got bumped to the main spot.

Because everything in GW2 was instanced, completely different architecture. Ya they could of done that if they built the game from the ground up like that... but it's not something they can switch over to easily.

WolvenOne

Oh I agree - I just didn't want my comments to come off as though I was defending the game's obvious infrastructure problem by laying the blame on how people are choosing to play it, even if I think it's irresponsible.

I know, and I understand. Ultimate responsibility here does lay with Square, even if some users are behaving irresponsibly. I just don't want users compounding the issues any further.

LaneDS

What's the fastest way to level up as Gladiator? I'm pretty slow at this haha.

Engage every FATE you can. Focus on your hunting log (GLD and GC) as it represents a lot of experience. Augment with non-story quests when you want to and always push your main story/class quests forward. Run dungeons when they're unlocked. Use dutyfinder for guildhests since they award bonus EXP the first time through.

Unlocked paladin last night and the above made leveling very easy.

WolvenOne

That doesn't require any levels right?

Yes and no. No it doesn't require any levels, but you won't get the same XP bonus you might get if you walk into a Fate several levels above where you are. You'll still usually get a pretty decent chunk of XP though, so as long as you can survive, go for it.

Shouta

What's the fastest way to level up as Gladiator? I'm pretty slow at this haha.

As mentioned, FATEs are probably the fastest amount of XP and are general abundant but generally, their rewards are somewhat low until you get into a GC. Quest lines and Guildleves are better for monetary rewards. That's a bigger hurdle to climb as you get higher so I'm mostly doing it the slow way personally. It also gives me a chance to convert materia, heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom