• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

Yeah, at this point even I'm getting pretty frustrated. "Please understand" isn't applicable when I'm actually paying for something now. My only guess for them not using the queue system is that it actually puts a strain on their login server or their instance server. Why those wouldn't separated things is beyond me, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case at this point.

Their Login Queue is only applicable to their login servers. As far as I can tell, the game servers themselves have no Login Queue. So people will sit in the queue, get count down, only to get the server full method.

To be fair, it sounds like Square didn't expect the game to be a large scale hit, but that still doesn't excuse them from implementing a proper login queue for the actual game worlds.

And an Idle-Kick mechanism, seriously. I know their easily circumvented, but still!

teiresias

So has anyone on PC been able to get rid of the movement flicker from grass and trees? I've tried forcing SGSSAA and SweetFX, but neither of these options help much. Would love to downsample, but the UI would be too small. Help?

No, the shimmering is still annoying, but it is much better using SMAA via SweetFX than using the built-in FXAA.

Could have ended up just using the same server capacity amounts for both regions. I doubt they made more of an effort with those servers than anywhere else.

Honestly I wish the servers were still universal, and not centered. At least then everyone would be in the same boat, and there would be a reason for auto translate.

Unless I end up running into someone that speaks only french, german, spanish, etc.

This is true. Lemme quote a friend of mine with some numbers:
""Just gotta remind yourself, it's still launch time. There are no servers on this planet that wouldn't go down with the kind of traffic they are getting consistently. Just to throw some numbers out, there were one million(min~) individual sign ups for beta. Currently there are 50 active servers. If you take just the beta sign ups alone, not accounting for the multitude of new accounts that have been popping up, that means that each server is looking at an average of about 20,000 people. That is a tremendous amount of network traffic."

"To put it even more in perspective, Yoshi-P has said that there are about as many EU players as JP and double the number of NA than JP. JP data centre has 25 servers. NA/EU has 25. We have 3 times the number of people on the same number of servers."

And an Idle-Kick mechanism, seriously. I know their easily circumvented, but still!

THIS x1000000000eleventy million. This would solve 50% of the problems off the bat!

Guys, just do what I do and have an alt on the JP servers. So whenever you can't get into NA/EU, just switch to JP.

I was doing this yesterday. Is there a specific fresh JP server that GAF prefers? I was playing on Durandal since that's the one I saw in the OP but there weren't enough fresh players there. I was having to solo a bunch of FATEs.

teiresias

My account is set to auto-renew, even though I don't think I have a credit card on file with them anymore anyway. Weird.

In any event, I've put a calendar event on my phone to remind me to cancel auto-renewal if this isn't all sorted out by the time it runs out. No way I'm paying for this level of service and frustration. I've still got plenty of single-player PS1 JRPGs to play through on my Vita.

CoLaN

Upgraded from standard to collector digitally via mog station, and received the rewards in game. The coeurl and the behemoth barding for the chocobo looks awesome.

I am almost 32, Monk, and the game is pretty good. The first 10 levels are kind of dull, but right now the fates are interesting, i like the istances, and there is always something to do at every meter. Traveling around the world via teleport is very convenient, and the game in general has a nice flow.

I LOVE the animations, the models and the whole art style. Most of the monsters look fantastic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Have a tech problem. After playing for an amount of time (it's been random) my screen flashes, and suddenly I have a terrible frame rate. And ideas what it could be? Using a SLI 670 set up.

teiresias

"To put it even more in perspective, Yoshi-P has said that there are about as many EU players as JP and double the number of NA than JP. JP data centre has 25 servers. NA/EU has 25. We have 3 times the number of people on the same number of servers."

This is not the paying player's problem. This is Yoshi-P's and SE's problem. If they don't want to properly address the NA and EU audiences then they can just forfeit any profit from them.

akaoni

Banned
n1DoQsZ.png

gribbles

Banned
Have a tech problem. After playing for an amount of time (it's been random) my screen flashes, and suddenly I have a terrible frame rate. And ideas what it could be? Using a SLI 670 set up.

This exact thing happened to me during the beta. But for some reason it doesn't happen in the retail build anymore.

WolvenOne

THIS x1000000000eleventy million. This would solve 50% of the problems off the bat!

Yeah, its a vicious cycle scenario. People log in early in the day, leave it idle so they can play later, then because people are logging in but not logging out, the server fills up. Once the server fills up, everybody that comes in behind them can't get in, they keep trying to log in, sometimes dozens of times every hour, and they keep trying all day because they can't get their daily fix.

Multiply that by thousands, and soon you've got what amounts to a completely natural DOS attack. Worse yet, on the off chance somebody does manage to get in, they become far more likely to leave their character idle as well, so the server is left with even less capacity to operate with.

So, yes, automatically kicking people that're just standing around idle, would solve a HUGE chunk of the problem.

Additionally. During Phase 3, 1.8 million users signed up to play the closed Beta. Between that, the open Beta, and the spoofing of EA codes via Amazon, we're probably talking closer to three million people trying to log on.

It's an immense amount of traffic, so, yes its unsurprising that there'd be issues.

Moaradin

Pugilist is starting to get pretty complex. They seem to have a bunch of moves for every stance.

Do greased lightning effects stack? I have two moves that give the same effect now.

This is not the paying player's problem. This is Yoshi-P's and SE's problem. If they don't want to properly address the NA and EU audiences then they can just forfeit any profit from them.

I imagine the thinking here was "We have 50 servers, let's split them evenly, and the playerbase will distribute itself."

Stupid? Well, in hindsight, yes, it probably was stpid to do it like that. But they can't just convert some of those JP servers to NA/EU (because then they wouldn't be NA/EU servers, they'd still be JP servers).

I think, in hindsight, spreading/splitting the servers like this was stupid, as it created this weird unproportional demand of activity.

This has nothing to do with the "paying players" -- it's just network architecture, and hedging bets on where the population will lie. They bet, and they lost. It's not something they can fix with a wink of an eye like most people think, especially if they're thinking long term ("oh hey, we bought all these servers, and now a ton of people quit, and now these servers are empty and people are bitching because no one is one")
Additionally. During Phase 3, 1.8 million users signed up to play the closed Beta. Between that, the open Beta, and the spoofing of EA codes via Amazon, we're probably talking closer to three million people trying to log on.

It's an immense amount of traffic, so, yes its unsurprising that there'd be issues.

That's a THING? That would definitely be an unplanned, large spike in traffic if you suddenly granted a ton of people free access to a hot new MMORPG

teiresias

Care to post your SMAA settings? Or do you use the default settings?

I'm just using some someone else posted earlier, can't remember who, but here they are:

Code:
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.07           //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold. If SMAA misses some edges try lowering this slightly. I prefer between 0.08 and 0.12.
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 98      //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16  //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 75        //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners. 0 seems to affect fine text the least so it's the default.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1        //[0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0  //[0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.
                                      //Enable this only if you use a Geforce 7xxx series or older card, or a Radeon X1xxx series or older card.

I have not played around with the settings at all to try different things. I also turned off the vibrance and tonemap (I think) that's turned on by default with SweetFX since I don't dislike the color rendering of the game.

Everything is dialed up pretty high in the SMAA settings and it does affect font rendering in the game, but not to the point that it's unreadable or annoying to my eyes anyway. Forcing traditional SGSSAA looks bad in the game to my eyes, it mutes the colors and makes everything look blurry to me. I'd rather have some shimmering than that.

Anyone else notice that skin tone is noticeably lighter in game than in the character creator? It shows up as the color I wanted on the select screen, but is lighter and more... pink in game. It's not the lighting because even in the darkest areas it's noticeably lighter. Kind of annoyed since I spent hours in the creator making sure everything was exactly how I wanted.

Ferrio

Banned
I imagine the thinking here was "We have 50 servers, let's split them evenly, and the playerbase will distribute itself."

Stupid? Well, in hindsight, yes, it probably was stpid to do it like that. But they can't just convert some of those JP servers to NA/EU (because then they wouldn't be NA/EU servers, they'd still be JP servers).

I think, in hindsight, spreading/splitting the servers like this was stupid, as it created this weird unproportional demand of activity.

This has nothing to do with the "paying players" -- it's just network architecture, and hedging bets on where the population will lie. They bet, and they lost. It's not something they can fix with a wink of an eye like most people think, especially if they're thinking long term ("oh hey, we bought all these servers, and now a ton of people quit, and now these servers are empty and people are bitching because no one is one")

That's a THING? That would definitely be an unplanned, large spike in traffic if you suddenly granted a ton of people free access to a hot new MMORPG

Truthfully if they haven't spun up any new servers by release then they've fucked up. The longer they wait to put up new servers the worse it'll get. They should of had a plan to be able to spin up new servers based on prerelease demand in order to accommodate full release.

DrBo42

Core game play just doesn't do it for me in this game. It's fine when I'm leveling (GLD) but man dungeons just do not feel fun at all. Maybe it's the poor tab targeting, I can't figure it out. Going from WoW to this feels like traveling back in time to the beginnings of MMOs but not in a good way. It's weird because the art style and animations are good but something about the combat just doesn't gel. Am I alone?

Truthfully if they haven't spun up any new servers by release then they've fucked up. The longer they wait to put up new servers the worse it'll get. They should of had a plan to be able to spin up new servers based on prerelease demand in order to accommodate full release.

They did spin up new servers -- On Phase 4. I wonder if maybe they weren't planning on that at THAT time,a nd were saving those for release.

I'll admit to being baffled at the lack of adding new servers -- I know they want to avoid a SWTOR or WoW type problem where too many servers/not enough players, but surely adding 1 or 2 worlds to the NA/EU side wouldn't hurt. I know the logistics of that on short notice are probably crazy, especially if they don't have any "laying around" as it were.

No, the real solution is do things like implement a proper queuing system, and a mechanism to auto-kick idle players. That'll solve 2/3rds the problems in the short term, and in the long term the gradual reduction in traffic would deal with the rest.

I think this + allowing free transfers to low-pop realms (even if they'r cross-region) and you've got most of this solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom