• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvenOne

I imagine the thinking here was "We have 50 servers, let's split them evenly, and the playerbase will distribute itself."

Stupid? Well, in hindsight, yes, it probably was stpid to do it like that. But they can't just convert some of those JP servers to NA/EU (because then they wouldn't be NA/EU servers, they'd still be JP servers).

I think, in hindsight, spreading/splitting the servers like this was stupid, as it created this weird unproportional demand of activity.

This has nothing to do with the "paying players" -- it's just network architecture, and hedging bets on where the population will lie. They bet, and they lost. It's not something they can fix with a wink of an eye like most people think, especially if they're thinking long term ("oh hey, we bought all these servers, and now a ton of people quit, and now these servers are empty and people are bitching because no one is one")

That's a THING? That would definitely be an unplanned, large spike in traffic if you suddenly granted a ton of people free access to a hot new MMORPG

Yeah, the Japanese servers are physically located in Japan. You can't just make them, NOT Japanese servers in the blink of an eye. The latency caused by distance would still be there, and the fact that most players are speaking Japanese would remain.

Additionally, while they have some capacity to add more servers, in the short term this wouldn't do much good. Too many players are invested in their characters now, they won't re-roll on a new server easily. That's putting aside the fact that Square has no idea whether or not the player base will remain in place after two or three weeks. A number of players probably won't even stick around after the free period after all.

No, the real solution is do things like implement a proper queuing system, and a mechanism to auto-kick idle players. That'll solve 2/3rds the problems in the short term, and in the long term the gradual reduction in traffic would deal with the rest.

scosher

So I have a question about this Mog Station.

I had thought I was already fully registered, even into the launch. I already paid full price of the game when I ordered it directly from S-E's site.

But now it's saying I'm only registered for Early Access and I need a new registration code. Am I supposed to be getting an e-mail regarding this?

Square seems to have made this unnecessarily confusing. I wonder if they added this extra layer because of the whole Amazon cancelling pre-order fiasco.

Ferrio

Banned
They did spin up new servers -- On Phase 4. I wonder if maybe they weren't planning on that at THAT time,a nd were saving those for release.

I'll admit to being baffled at the lack of adding new servers -- I know they want to avoid a SWTOR or WoW type problem where too many servers/not enough players, but surely adding 1 or 2 worlds to the NA/EU side wouldn't hurt. I know the logistics of that on short notice are probably crazy, especially if they don't have any "laying around" as it were.

Setting up new servers *should* be almost trivial at this day in age. "Laying around" isn't an issue anymore. But this square.. they're stuck in the early 90's when it comes to anything internet related.

Teknoman

Core game play just doesn't do it for me in this game. It's fine when I'm leveling (GLD) but man dungeons just do not feel fun at all. Maybe it's the poor tab targeting, I can't figure it out. Going from WoW to this feels like traveling back in time to the beginnings of MMOs but not in a good way. It's weird because the art style and animations are good but something about the combat just doesn't gel. Am I alone?

If you mean the first three dungeons, they're more or less tutorials for better or worse.

So I have a question about this Mog Station.

I had thought I was already fully registered, even into the launch. I already paid full price of the game when I ordered it directly from S-E's site.

But now it's saying I'm only registered for Early Access and I need a new registration code. Am I supposed to be getting an e-mail regarding this?

Square seems to have made this unnecessarily confusing. I wonder if they added this extra layer because of the whole Amazon cancelling pre-order fiasco.

I'm inclined to believe the confusing structure was already in place. I'm in the same boat, but it seems like the code to finalize the process will be included with whatever physical item you get (I'm waiting on the CE).

M.W.

So, is the PS3 version going to be decent? The game has piqued my interest, but I'd only be able to play via PS3. How was the beta? Sorry if this has been asked a million times, it's a big thread. Thanks for any response.

Roulette

I remember in phase 2 (after leaving myself logged in and coming home after several hours to see that I was still logged in) saying that I couldn't believe there was no auto-logout. Someone replied that the game didn't need one.

Because there would never be that many players.

Who's laughing now?

No one. Blizzard, maybe.

TheContact

I missed the first few of hours (pretty much whole thing) of the IGN livestream ,do you guys think they'll host afterwards for viewing?

FFS. I've played a total of 2 hours since saturday, all these damned queues and errors ;( I really hope Square changes the way they handle the queue. Dumping players back to the title screen is dumb.

Let me on Ultros!

BooJoh

Registered my FFXIV copy, and was also able to redeem the code from the registered FFXIII for that armband or whatever it is. Now debating if I should do a digital CE upgrade or not.

How did you enter the FFXIII code? Is this something you had to do before they changed the websites? All I have is a 16-character code on the leaflet in the game case.

teiresias

I'm loving this apologist narrative that the only people who won't stick around are people on Amazon-procured early access accounts.

Tell you what, if this shit keeps up there will be plenty of people not sticking around because they're just not going to pay some unresponsive gaming company money on a monthly basis to pay for a game they can't even get into.

Setting up new servers *should* be almost trivial at this day in age. "Laying around" isn't an issue anymore. But this square.. they're stuck in the early 90's when it comes to anything internet related.

SE owns all of its servers/data houses, though, which is different than most other MMOs. Blizzard just calls up the company they're leasing their servers from and is all "Hey, set me up some new servers" and they get it done. It's trivial then! This also gives Blizzard a fancy scapegoat in situations like this.

Yeah, SE is stuck in the 90s XD (Though, many would argue they're really stuck in, like, 2005..because the 90s were good, dammit.)

I'm loving this apologist narrative that the only people who won't stick around are people on Amazon-procured early access accounts.

Tell you what, if this shit keeps up there will be plenty of people not sticking around because they're just not going to pay some unresponsive gaming company money on a monthly basis to pay for a game they can't even get into.

I don't think I -anywhere- have said anything CLOSE to an "apologist narrative." I do think it's a fact that if you give something away for free, people will flock to it no matter what, so if code spoofing was going on, that would cause a huge spike in players logging on now. Whether they stay or not isn't part of this argument.

I just think people have super unrealistic expectations and think servers are magic or something equally as inane. I waited 2 weeks to play Diablo III because I couldn't get on, and I actually paid money for that game!

Ferrio

Banned
FFS. I've played a total of 2 hours since saturday, all these damned queues and errors ;(

Let me on Ultros!

Ultros_XIII-2.png

Darvan

So, is the PS3 version going to be decent? The game has piqued my interest, but I'd only be able to play via PS3. How was the beta? Sorry if this has been asked a million times, it's a big thread. Thanks for any response.

I haven't had any issue thus far but honestly I haven't even grouped up yet. I find the control scheme to be like playing an offline RPG graphic's are 720p and again am only level 10 I can't really say about slow down or massive effect's. I bought the collector's edition on the PS3 so that's where I'll be playing until the PS4 version comes out I really don't want to buy the PC version too. Hope that helps.

VariantX

At this rate, I'll be lucky to play the game by the end of the week. By the time I get home in the day, I'm greeted with world full messages.

So I got to name creation for Ultros, but I'm assuming it closed back up again. Kept hitting load, was getting an error, hit it again after like 30 tries and it just is loading now.

Guess I borked it. Welp.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm disgusted with Square that they actually had the nerve to launch this piece of shit. I seem to remember them saying before ARR beta that this game wouldn't launch till it was perfect.

I'd hate to see what they'd consider a crappy launch.

Well, it is perfect if you're in Japan. No long in issues, plenty of servers. I guess they never said they'd make it perfect for the dumbasses outside Japan who for some odd reason had faith in this game not to fail again.

Berordn

I find it really hard to keep up with all the instalments, just in the numbered series!

So this is a relaunch of FFXl? or XLV?

ARR is a completely reworked version of XIV, which floundered and did strong damage to the brand/company. XI is still going strongish, they're still doing large updates for it though it's petered off over time.

DQX hasn't been a roaring success though.

Phthisis

Tried sending PMs to FC officers on Ultros this afternoon for an invite. Nobody responded. Assuming you were all idling? Will try again tonight I guess. Character name is Juste Garde, if any of you are reading this.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
How much of a problem do you think this is for people outside of gaming forums who don't have a dogged determination to play on Ultros?

Hate to say it but cancelled my preorder. I'm loving the game, but being unable to create a character on GAF's server is shitty. Being unable to even LOG-IN to play is extra shitty.

I'm sure I'll pick this up pretty soon, but no AFK-kick and this stuff are big turn-offs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm really enjoying the PS3 version a lot more than I expected I would. The controller setup for this game is quite good once you're used to it.

Hate to say it but cancelled my preorder. I'm loving the game, but being unable to create a character on GAF's server is shitty. Being unable to even LOG-IN to play is extra shitty.

I'm sure I'll pick this up pretty soon, but no AFK-kick and this stuff are big turn-offs.

Worse than that is we're just in early start mode. Holy shit is there going to be a major server meltdown when this officially launches... in the NA/EU that is.

aett

I think I'm just going to make a new character on a less populated server. I barely have time to play compared to most people, so maybe I can do a server transfer in a few months when the population/server problems calm down.

I just wish I knew which servers had lower populations.

Ferrio

Banned

On all fronts Square just doesn't want our money. It should be the motto of the company.

Baleoce

What in the actual fuck. I've done the first 3 dungeons and the storyline up to that point, and I'm still being told I can't have a retainer. When do we get them? I thought it was after that. I've done all the thanalan quests so if it's "fame" that shouldn't be an issue either.

How much of a problem do you think this is for people outside of gaming forums who don't have a dogged determination to play on Ultros?

I think one look at the comments on any news story on the new lodestone will tell you your answer to that O.O.

I shouldn't be appalled by what I read on the Internet anymore, but people are REALLY stretching the insults/threats to, frankly, unacceptable levels. It's one thing to be frustrated and vent your frustration. It's another to threaten lives of the director and employees at SE.

What in the actual fuck. I've done the first 3 dungeons and the storyline up to that point, and I'm still being told I can't have a retainer. When do we get them? I thought it was after that. I've done all the thanalan quests so if it's "fame" that shouldn't be an issue either.

You've got..2 more quests after that before oyu get your retainer, and they're pretty much run around/get cutscene quests.

teiresias

I'm done playing a wonderful game of "Try to play the game" for the night. It's almost a rhythm game like Miku if you time it right!!

I'm going to watch an episode of X-Files on Netflix and pick up the Vita and play some Wild Arms. I started playing it after I couldn't get back into the open beta. Fun game, I really love the art-style outside of the battles. What I might do is start to load a game and then cancel and do that a few times if I start feeling nostalgic for FFXIV.

Ferrio

Banned

edit: or I'm remembering wrong.

VariantX

Worse than that is we're just in early start mode. Holy shit is there going to be a major server meltdown when this officially launches... in the NA/EU that is.

I'm still confused as to why 1 country gets its own set of servers while the whole of Europe and the US are all packed together on one set of servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom