• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
And its very common for MMO's to have Idle Timers as well. Why, because no server is going to have limitless capacity, and other people deserve to be able to play while you aren't.

This is true. WoW boots me out after about a half hour of inactivity.

While I'm not opposed to people staying logged in forever until they sort this thing out, I can definately see why it would upset people who can't play.

I'm glad I logged out though. Hopefully one of you guys was able to get my spot.

WolvenOne

Not expected, but allowed.

Hell I used to log into DAoC and sit in the city and chat with friends all day. Either waiting for raids, or waiting for enough of my buddies to log on to make a gank group.

Sitin there typing, all day long. Not movin an inch.

And the servers wouldn't be able to tell you're using the Chat Log? Even if they couldn't, just use a popup window to ask players if they're idle.

Also, if I were the guy implementing this. Said Idle Timer wouldn't even activate until said server started nearing capacity. This'd probably be a lot more work, and we're definitely not seeing anything like this in the next few days, but thats how I'd handle it.

Zidy

Today is the first time I've been able to get some real time in. I got really lucky early and you bet your ass I've been cherishing it.

People that stay logged in all day, know how to get around something simple like an idle timer anyway :p

In positive news. I can now log in...or get to the character select screen.

All non-preorder people getting in? or just 1.0 non-legacy people?

potam

Banned
Any gladiators want to explain to me how the fuck agro works in this game?

I can use all my enmity increasing skills, but once I lose agro on a mob, I generally can't get it back.

Is it broken or am I?

Anyone from NZ/Aus got the PS3 version? When I try and put the PSN registration code thing in it just says nope code not valid.

>_>

Also there was no 'bonus item' code either in the box so I have no idea if I've been ripped off my pre-order and CE items from EB or not.

Bronson_Calahan_130826092205.jpg

Teknoman

Most games don't let you and do it entirely server-side.

Yeah i've seen that in WoW, but XI I remember being able to turn it off...but dont know if they had some kinda secondary autolog. Used to bazaar easter eggs for days lol.

I can use all my enmity increasing skills, but once I lose agro on a mob, I generally can't get it back.

Is it broken or am I?

Keep stacking aggro and ask whoever gets aggroed to lay off special skills for awhile. Its not just you, but the party has to work together to mitigate aggro appropriately.

And the servers wouldn't be able to tell you're using the Chat Log? Even if they couldn't, just use a popup window to ask players if they're idle.

Also, if I were the guy implementing this. Said Idle Timer wouldn't even activate until said server started nearing capacity. This'd probably be a lot more work, and we're definitely not seeing anything like this in the next few days, but thats how I'd handle it.

Im not saying people idling all day is good, im just saying its allowed.

People will find ways around idle timers, and popup boxes and shit anyway, they always do. You're better off complaining about SE not having the server capacity for all the people, rather than complaining about people who paid for this game just like you did.

Is it broken or am I?

There are enmity meters under each person in the group, you can monitor them to see how close / far ahead they are in threat then you. Once you lose the mobs attention you have to pass them in threat or it wont focus on you as far as I know, provoke doesn't work like it did in FFXI where it forces there attention on you, instead it just increases your threat by X amount.

What I do to hold threat is a rotation of Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone > Flash > Switch Target > Repeat cycle for each monster you are fighting. Pretty much never lose threat even when a BLM or something is going all out.

potam

Banned
Keep stacking aggro and ask whoever gets aggroed to lay off special skills for awhile. Its not just you, but the party has to work together to mitigate aggro appropriately.

That's what I figured. I've already complained to a couple of groups before about sticking on one target. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't me.

It bothers me that the Lodestone takes so long to update.

We went through hell to get our Free Company made, goddamnit. Do you know how hard it is to start when you only have four members and you have to wait for them to get in to sign the petiton? :(

WolvenOne

Yeah i've seen that in WoW, but XI I remember being able to turn it off...but dont know if they had some kinda secondary autolog. Used to bazaar easter eggs for days lol.

Yes, but as far as I know, FFXI never had any real issues with a lack of capacity, so letting players stay logged in constantly wouldn't be a real issue. Heck, come 2-3 weeks from now, it probably won't be an issue for FFXIV 90% of the time either. Once servers near capacity though, THEN, it's a problem.

That's why I'd advocate a server side idle timer, that activates once servers get near capacity.

akaoni

Banned
The legend

Hjwysue.jpg

The mighty one himself, we thought he was just a legend. Word has it there's a clip wall around his persons at all times which causes knockback on other players. When he's turning in a quest, everybody else has to wait in line. To even get so close is a opportunity that can only be described as divine contact. I am envious.

WolvenOne

Im not saying people idling all day is good, im just saying its allowed.

People will find ways around idle timers, and popup boxes and shit anyway, they always do. You're better off complaining about SE not having the server capacity for all the people, rather than complaining about people who paid for this game just like you did.

Because it takes time to add additional servers, and it isn't necessarily smart to add new servers for whats likely to be a 2-3 day high traffic period?

Idle timers DO prevent some of this idling, and would be an effective means of blunting congestion during abrupt spikes of traffic. Also, it'd be a heck of a lot more cost effective than adding servers that might have to be merged later.

Because it takes time to add additional servers, and it isn't necessarily smart to add new servers for whats likely to be a 2-3 day high traffic period?

Idle timers DO prevent some of this idling, and would be an effective means of blunting congestion during abrupt spikes of traffic. Also, it'd be a heck of a lot more cost effective than adding servers that might have to be merged later.

Sure, then wait 2-3 days and dont worry about it. If they dont already have an idle timer in place now, its most likely going to take a couple days to get one in anyway.

WolvenOne

Sure, then wait 2-3 days and dont worry about it. If they dont already have an idle timer in place now, its most likely going to take a couple days to get one in anyway.

I realize that. I just get a bit annoyed when I see people saying that they're going to log in and not log out. I understand the impulse, but, taking up that slot probably means two or three other players won't get a shot for the next eight to twelve hours.

I mean, most people would probably be getting in by now, if it weren't for this.

Aeana

I bluescreened while zoning about a half hour ago. No luck getting in since. I guess I'll find out if there's any truth to that :50 thing soon. I did notice that last time I got in it WAS :50, sooo we'll see.

Anteater

My sound went out so I had to relog, only took one try and I told everyone the server seems to be running fine without queue.

I guess I lucked out because my friend came home and couldn't get on a minute later >.>

I got a question,If I buy the game from Psn,do I need to delete the phase 4 launcher? or will buying it from psn just unlock it without the need to download again?

sorry if this has been asked before.

I realize that. I just get a bit annoyed when I see people saying that they're going to log in and not log out. I understand the impulse, but, taking up that slot probably means two or three other players won't get a shot for the next eight to twelve hours.

I mean, most people would probably be getting in by now, if it weren't for this.

Sure, I understand. Im just saying that they arent breaking any laws or anything. It sucks and makes it so other people cant play, but they arent doing it to piss people off (some might, haha). They are doing it because THEY really want to play, haha.

It sucks and its selfish, but oh well. They just want to play like the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom