• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

Can we still not register PS3 codes? I'd rather not have to wait for GCT to register the game, even if I can still play it via EA. :/

Yeah, no duh? That's the point: it lets you specialize in one while still being able to perform the role of the other if needed. All these ACN whining about attributes need to stop whining and understand how awesome it really is to have a two-in-one class. Level more classes if you want to be more min-maxed-versatile for more challenging content.

Except one of the aspects of FFXIV (and XI before it) is that any character can be any class as long as you take the time to level it up and get the right equipment. Now that's not the case with the 2 ACN jobs.

And it's easy to say quit whining now, but what happens when a class you are playing suddenly gets a new job in an expansion that requires different stats than what you built into? Now you are punished for not skilling for a job that didn't even exist when you got those attribute points?

GPsych

Just started playing and I've run into a weird problem. I started the game on Max settings (GTX 660, i7) and it was running about 50 FPS. As soon as I left New Gridania, the game kinda blinked out for a couple of seconds. When it came back up, I was suddenly getting 10 FPS. Even when I turned the settings down to Standard, I was only getting like 27 FPS. Is this happening to anyone else?

user1337

Getting into the swing of things, still haven't figured out materia though - I know I have to breakdown spiritbonded gear, but I don't actually know how to do that. Whatever, I can google it in like 5 minutes, and there are plenty of things to do regardless.

More relevant questions for GAF!

So my Glad is level 20, and I just ran the level 15 dungeon (I forget it's name). It was okay, and tanking wasn't too difficult, but I feel like I could be doing better.

I have a level 6 Lancer, should I get him up higher and have his augment my Glad if I want to tank?

If my damage is a bit light, what should I focus on to get that higher?

I'm figuring out how to level my crafting stuff better - is it worth it to get this high? I actually enjoy crafting a bunch, and right now my leatherworking is 14 - I plan on getting it to 20 tonight! What goes good with Leatherworking? Should I focus more on some other professions? Honestly I have no idea which ones to gravitate toward.

Any particular tips when it comes to finding gear for my glad? He's a bit soft in that regard. I got some colourful gear from that level 15 instance, and i guess I could run it some more, but maybe there's something around 20 that'd be better?

Any general advice or sage words GAF? I'm loving this game so far by the way.

I'd focus more on armourer and blacksmith for your class as you use more metal based equipment. Leather works is probably best for pugilist/monks.

Also if you want to stick materia to your gear that has materia slots...you will need the right class to add the materia. So a leatherworker can only add materia to leather equipment. Generally your equipment stats will tell you what you need to repaire and add materia. (also, you need to be level 19 in that class to learn how to bind, once unlocked on 1 class its unlocked on all..but you still need the right class for each weapon/armour/item).

Ultimately however the plan would be to max out all the classes :D

Salaadin

Just started playing and I've run into a weird problem. I started the game on Max settings (GTX 660, i7) and it was running about 50 FPS. As soon as I left New Gridania, the game kinda blinked out for a couple of seconds. When it came back up, I was suddenly getting 10 FPS. Even when I turned the settings down to Standard, I was only getting like 27 FPS. Is this happening to anyone else?

Yes. I posted about it on the official forums and a few others did as well. Seems to be an Nvidia thing.
Apparently there are beta drivers out right now that improves performance but I havent looked into them yet.

The "fix" is to alt-tab out of the game back to your desktop, wait a few seconds, and then alt-tab back in. Your fps should be normal.

The good news is that it only seems to do this once per playthrough. Every single time it happens to me, it happens within the first hour and never repeats afterwards.

I saw a lalafel with that cone hat and blue clothes. He looked like David the gnome.

Apparently digital river shipped my game without my home address on the box. Luckily I caught it and the post office is holding it so I can pick it up.

How did you find out they shipped it without your address on the box?

Except one of the aspects of FFXIV (and XI before it) is that any character can be any class as long as you take the time to level it up and get the right equipment. Now that's not the case with the 2 ACN jobs.

And it's easy to say quit whining now, but what happens when a class you are playing suddenly gets a new job in an expansion that requires different stats than what you built into? Now you are punished for not skilling for a job that didn't even exist when you got those attribute points?

You can reset skill points. Costs 10,000 seals, but it's possible.

GPsych

Yes. I posted about it on the official forums and a few others did as well. Seems to be an Nvidia thing.
Apparently there are beta drivers out right now that improves performance but I havent looked into them yet.

The "fix" is to alt-tab out of the game back to your desktop, wait a few seconds, and then alt-tab back in. Your fps should be normal.

The good news is that it only seems to do this once per playthrough. Every single time it happens to me, it happens within the first hour and never repeats afterwards.

Awesome. Thanks!

omlet

LOL. I don't even know what to say to this. Are you seriously saying you cannot play both jobs just because you can't have full bonus attributes on both of them? Seriously?

And it's easy to say quit whining now, but what happens when a class you are playing suddenly gets a new job in an expansion that requires different stats than what you built into?
I main the job I like better, simple.

Now you are punished for not skilling for a job that didn't even exist when you got those attribute points?
Punished? By the time they add more jobs, even players new to ARR will have had time to get several classes to cap and enough GC seals to buy respecs.

And if you want to look at it your way, then all the more reason why ACN has it so good right now.

daveo42

Banned

Not 100% true for FFXI in that certain races were better suited for specific jobs. There was some wiggle room there, but certain races were almost preferred for certain jobs either due to base mana pool or stats. Some of it could be overcome with benefits in other areas (Taru PLD with large mana pools to heal for example). The playing field is much more flat here and is more on the person to decide how to stat their character.

To the second bolded section, I am quite sure people will be able to specialize their gear to overcome any issues they have have with their stat distribution. You can always respec if you need to with GC seals. Not sure about anyone else here, but I plan on mastering at least 1 job from each part of the trinity (tank, healer, dps) and then completing the rest just for the accomplishment.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Why is this the assumption? They posted on the NA lodestone didn't they?
It's say because the name of the topic is "[NA]Regarding Congestion in Japan Data Center Worlds (Aug. 27)", but reading the actual contents of the post gave me the impression that they're adding new hardware everywhere.

LOL. I don't even know what to say to this. Are you seriously saying you cannot play both jobs just because you can't have full bonus attributes on both of them? Seriously?

Punished? By the time they add more jobs, even players new to ARR will have had time to get several classes to cap and enough GC seals to buy respecs.

And if you want to look at it your way, then all the more reason why ACN has it so good right now.

It's like people in my FC saying you NEED to pick X GC because of the stats the equipment gives.

Mugaaz

I have a single counter-argument to all of this. Justify how the game is better with assignable attributes VS just having attributes go up with level. Justify the pros VS cons. It's not close. The only thing this system does is make players feel bad and have less fun. If that's it's intended function then it's a resounding success. If the intention is to allow customization that is hot garbage. This is not customization. Even WoW's talent system is 1000x better than this.

Ok, then if the skill points don't matter that much, then all the more reason that giving the option to put them in how you like is more than illusion of choice than anything else.

And even if respecing were free it's way too tedious to do every time you want to switch roles. What if your party decides they need more DPS instead of a healer?

I have a single counter-argument to all of this. Justify how the game is better with assignable attributes VS just having attributes go up with level. Justify the pros VS cons. It's not close. The only thing this system does is make players feel bad and have less fun. If that's it's intended function then it's a resounding success. If the intention is to allow customization that is hot garbage. This is not customization. Even WoW's talent system is 1000x better than this.

Agreed - why not just let the job have its own stat allocations the way classes do? They've done a lot to make switching between roles a lot easier in ARR, but stat allocations definitely seem to be the one point that goes against the grain.

HeavensSword

Neo Member
It's say because the name of the topic is "[NA]Regarding Congestion in Japan Data Center Worlds (Aug. 27)", but reading the actual contents of the post gave me the impression that they're adding new hardware everywhere.

I really hope that is the case, but if so, they need to fix the title of that post... Will just cause more unrest.

2San

Do we know how an end game summoner fare DPS wise compared to a Black Mage. And how an end game Scholar compares to a White Mage healing wise? Can they replace a WM as a healer for instances?

Ok, then if the skill points don't matter that much, then all the more reason that giving the option to put them in how you like is more than illusion of choice than anything else.

And even if respecing were free it's way too tedious to do every time you want to switch roles. What if your party decides they need more DPS instead of a healer?
You will be viable even if you don't min-max. Go 50-50 with the bonus stats if like both classes equally. It's a tiny price for having the freedom to switch roles.

notworksafe

The only thing this system does is make players feel bad and have less fun. If that's it's intended function then it's a resounding success.
Plenty of people are having fun. Maybe you should get over yourself? It helps you to improve the job you like to play the most and doesn't really hurt the other jobs in a significant manner.

No need to foam at the mouth for something so small.

But how is this any different than someone in FFXI with a 75 WAR and 75 WHM in regards to Merit Points?

Pollux

Question: I see people talking about getting all these different classes to the level cap...can you get these classes to level cap on a single character? How would that even work with distributing points...?

Timeaisis

I couldn't get on Ultros all last night at all after trying for a while. Decided to roll a new character on Malboro and got in on the first try. It might just be Ultros that is terribly overloaded. Some of you may want to move to other less-full servers.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Question: I see people talking about getting all these different classes to the level cap...can you get these classes to level cap on a single character? How would that even work with distributing points...?
Each class has it's own points to allocate.

The only issue is whatever class has two jobs.

Oh dear okay thanks D:

Press Scroll|Lock to disable the HUD.

Once the duty finder gets sorted this won't be a problem. I really liked how they sent you to all 3 nations to try 3 different dungeons. Gave good exposure to party play and the other nations. Hopefully the duty finder becomes more efficient.

Plenty of people are having fun. Maybe you should get over yourself? It helps you to improve the job you like to play the most and doesn't really hurt the other jobs in a significant manner.

I didn't feel like anyone was foaming at the mouth! I'm certainly arguing more for the sake of discussion than anything else. Most aspects of the game encourage try out everything, and being able to do it effectively, except for this. At least so far. Maybe we'll all find out it doesn't matter that much in the end (which is why I'm not actually stressing about it in game when it's time to apply new points), but it definitely seems to encourage the sentiment that there is a right and wrong way to apply the points.

The last thing we need is the community to develop the attitude that you are bad at your secondary job just because you set your stats for your primary.

But how is this any different than someone in FFXI with a 75 WAR and 75 WHM in regards to Merit Points?

It may not be different in the end (I never did Merit Points in XI), but did people like that system? Could it not be improved upon?

Tu101uk

Oh so that's what that was? Methought I was pushing my new 760 too much and had to pull down the OC sliders a bit. Hopefully some stable drivers come soon, I mostly get solid 60+fps@1080p except in centre of towns.

Loving the game, got my lancer to 16 yesterday before building up the marauder class. Pretty standard and enjoyable MMO fare so far, but I feel there are few worlds as rich in lore, charm and atmosphere as FF ones. Will probably sub after my 2 week legacy period is over.

Vengal

Do we know how an end game summoner fare DPS wise compared to a Black Mage. And how an end game Scholar compares to a White Mage healing wise? Can they replace a WM as a healer for instances?

Not entirely related but i've never seen an arcanist healer, or a scholar as of yet. Can they even heal on their own before Scholar or do they have to take all the healing abilities from cross class.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'd focus more on armourer and blacksmith for your class as you use more metal based equipment. Leather works is probably best for pugilist/monks.

Also if you want to stick materia to your gear that has materia slots...you will need the right class to add the materia. So a leatherworker can only add materia to leather equipment. Generally your equipment stats will tell you what you need to repaire and add materia. (also, you need to be level 19 in that class to learn how to bind, once unlocked on 1 class its unlocked on all..but you still need the right class for each weapon/armour/item).

Ultimately however the plan would be to max out all the classes :D

Thanks for the advice! I think the bold is my issue, because that's kind of what I want, but it's hard figuring out the order I want to do it in :p.

Regardless, I think right now my focus will be on a lot of crafting (because I like it) with a heavier focus on armourer and blacksmith. I also want to move toward PLD first, so I guess getting conj to level 15 wouldn't hurt - sucks that I got a purple level 15 wand haha, would have been more useful at a lower level :p.

I wish I was on another server so I could play with some Gaffers, but at the same time, I don't mind playing 'alone' (or with strangers) until I get more comfy with the game, and I'll just move to a north american server when they allow world changes!

omlet

Just pointing out that the system didn't hinder you :p

It does, though. I'm leveling ACN and will have to chose where to put my points. And if more jobs are released, I'll have to chose again on my classes I play.

I never argued the system was good or better, only that people are making a big deal out of something that is not anywhere near the mountain they're making it out to be. I'd personally not mind one bit if it was gone but people flailing around like fools saying it's some kind of deal-breaking bad feature are just hilarious.

The system is for role specialization, not role customization. There's a difference.

I couldn't get on Ultros all last night at all after trying for a while. Decided to roll a new character on Malboro and got in on the first try. It might just be Ultros that is terribly overloaded. Some of you may want to move to other less-full servers.

There are currently 450+ GAF members in the FC, then you've got the GiantBomb peeps in the same server as well. Ultros is poppin'.

The fact of the matter is... allotting attribute points is a very boring way to customize your character. I would have preferred something more along the lines of Merit Points from FFXI where you customize your favorite abilities or add new ones. Stat points is as bare bones "customization" you can get. Yes, you can add abilities to your job from other classes, but there's really not many to choose from.

Mugaaz

The game being good doesn't mean each and every system is good. It's a bad system. There is no need to justify due to the rest of the game being good. Why do I have to get over myself? Because I think some parts of this game are bad? Should people saying some parts of this game are good get over themselves too?

K.Sabot

So "a" order code email ended up in my spam folder with really long links pertaining to a site called "digitalriver".

It had 2 codes.

Legit? Any way I can try the codes out without clicking those links?

notworksafe

I didn't feel like anyone was foaming at the mouth! I'm certainly arguing more for the sake of discussion than anything else. Most aspects of the game encourage try out everything, and being able to do it effectively, except for this. At least so far. Maybe we'll all find out it doesn't matter that much in the end (which is why I'm not actually stressing about it in game when it's time to apply new points), but it definitely seems to encourage the sentiment that there is a right and wrong way to apply the points.

The last thing we need is the community to develop the attitude that you are bad at your secondary job just because you set your stats for your primary.

Eh, XI used to blow up about your race not matching your class. Parts of a community will always develop a shitty attitude, unfortunately. Right now it doesn't seem to actually matter much, but I guess we'll have to see how endgame gear does with stats to see.

For me, as long as a player is competent at their job a few stat points aligned for a different job/class doesn't really matter.

When can I join a free company? I'm level 9 and beat the golem in the storyquests.

Free company is a guild, you can join that whenever. Grand Company is a story thing and that's at L20ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom