• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal

Banned
I was all happy and setup playing on a low pop server this morning expecting to enjoy this game today.

Internet outage at ISP (DNS server failure). 3 hours later Internet is back up and now my server is completely full and won't even let me queue. ;_;

Allowances? Starting to regret skipping through all the text.

You can only do a limited number of Guildleves. Essentially you get 3 allowances every 12 hours (which stack) and once you run out you can't do Leves any-more. I was just spamming some to get my carpentry up and then ran out, the time and cost of levelling it any other way seems ludicrous (once you start needing items from other craft jobs) so I feel like I've been road-blocked.

WolvenOne

I think the whole defense force for someone who can't do his job is pretty sad. Especially when they downplay the problems that people are experiencing.

You can talk about a persons shortcomings without demeaning them, and you can disagree with someone else without attacking them. You're refusing to do either, and are instead treating others with a great deal of antagonism.

That simply isn't necessary.

Ferrio

Banned
I think the whole defense force for someone who can't do his job is pretty sad. Especially when they downplay the problems that people are experiencing.

He's done his job damn well. He turned a game that was complete shit, 180 degrees. I find it hard to blame him specifically.

Tarazet

You can only do a limited number of Guildleves. Essentially you get 3 allowances every 12 hours (which stack) and once you run out you can't do Leves any-more. I was just spamming some to get my carpentry up and then ran out, the time and cost of levelling it any other way seems ludicrous (once you start needing items from other craft jobs) so I feel like I've been road-blocked.

You can get up to level 10 (15?) in the crafting classes without leaving town by buying stuff from the vendor. It's after that point that you should start doing leves if you don't want to grind.

Hastati

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I still don't understand free companies very well. I'm going to be gone for September, and don't want to join before I'm active. Will the GAF FC be full by then? Are there even caps? Really loving the game so far, and would really like to be able to play with GAF if possible.

smr00

Banned
I noticed i was locked out of the battle ones for 9 hours last night because i did a bunch in a row, so you are saying i can use allowances to increase the amount? If so, how do i do it? Or is it automatic?

I might roll a black mage on a low-pop server and actually pay attention this time.

2San

You can talk about a persons shortcomings without demeaning them, and you can disagree with someone else without attacking them. You're refusing to do either, and are instead treating others with a great deal of antagonism.

That simply isn't necessary.
So what do you call someone who can't do his job in a nice way?

He's done his job damn well. He turned a game that was complete shit, 180 degrees. I find it hard to blame him specifically.
Don't know about that seeing as I and many others can't play. Seeing as he's producer I don't know who else to blame.

Skilletor

If you'd like to join the one im in too we have a quite a few from GAF as well that played 1.x in Sarg. I don't want to make it a competition between Shouta and us though. lol Can join both if we don't end up joining together.

That's cool, the more the merrier. You can have several equipped at once, right?

:)

Lowkeye Lyesmith is my character's name.

daveo42

Banned
Hold that shit entitlement gamers.

#TeamYoshiP

There are some valid concerns here with not being able to play. SE didn't properly anticipate the number of concurrent active players they'd see at launch and there hasn't been any word on a concrete fix so that they could allow players to log in without any issues.

No real queue system to getting into the server. Too many people trying to do instances because they are all tied to separate servers and even quests are tied to those servers. The only solution is to put a stiff cap in place for NA/EU players while JP servers are quite fine right now with no word on how to actually correct this until active player counts drop. Yoshi made a good game, but SE fucked up on the planning. You can see that shit all over the login service, multiple account numbers and codes, and botched CE info.

There are some valid concerns here with not being able to play. SE didn't properly anticipate the number of concurrent active players they'd see at launch and there hasn't been any word on a concrete fix so that they could allow players to log in without any issues.

The "fix" is to throw more hardware at the problem, something they either seem unwilling or incapable of doing.

potam

Banned
I'm kinda glad there's a leve allowance. I ground them out real quick to get my chocobo this morning and they're sooooooooo boring. It's good I can't do too many each day.

So...what is the best way to level? I'm trying to treat it kinda like WoW, and use the story quests as the breadcrumb quests. Then just go through each town and do every quest that is available. Is that the fastest way to solo level? I'm also doing every new duty to get that extra bonus, as well as the dungeons when they pop up.

edit: And not to sound too defensive of SE, but I must say that aside from the login issues I had yesterday, this game feels solid. I've had a couple of weird client issues (freezing and then sometimes coming back to life, sometimes forcing ctr alt del), but overall, it doesn't feel like a launch week. But, I'm not denying that some people are having more issues than I've run into.

Ferrio

Banned
Don't know about that seeing as I and many others can't play. Seeing as he's producer I don't know who else to blame.

You want to play the game, that's something you couldn't say about 1.0. He's done his job.

It isn't perfect, but holy hell the turn around the game had is something pretty spectacular especially considering square's current track record.

Hold that shit entitlement gamers.

#TeamYoshiP

#TeamYoshiP for LIFE, dudes. The servers aren't bad, they're just popular. Way too popular, for sure, but once you get in? Smooth as silk. Yoshi-P has done nothing to earn ire, but he's the game's Tank. He's got to take the heat and he's been great to the community.

MMO launches suck. They suck every time. They will always suck. Stop being surprised. I hate that I have to spam to login, no queues is idiotic and the creation limits aren't solving anything. But this is an MMO launch. They suck. Persevere! The game itself is wonderful.

Rektash

Am I really the only one here having issues with the security token? It feels horrible to have a problem no one else has, as there is literally no help to be found anywhere on this :-/.

Tarazet

I'm kinda glad there's a leve allowance. I ground them out real quick to get my chocobo this morning and they're sooooooooo boring. It's good I can't do too many each day.

So...what is the best way to level? I'm trying to treat it kinda like WoW, and use the story quests as the breadcrumb quests. Then just go through each town and do every quest that is available. Is that the fastest way to solo level? I'm also doing every new duty to get that extra bonus, as well as the dungeons when they pop up.

The fastest way is clearly getting a raid party together for Fates. Personally, I'm preferring to do the story quests so that I get regular gear upgrades, since Fates don't drop them.

suzu

Finally got a LS group going for Hala dungeon.. then I disconnect and can't log back in now. :(

Insert that laughing.gif.

Kokonoe

Banned
Here's an even more realistic apology. Like . . .Total breakdown. He's really sincere about it and they will be implementing more servers next week. We just need to be patient, as rough as things maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SWSMdCMyvE&feature=youtu.be&t=37s

#teamYoship

As much as I do feel that apology, I'm not here to pick sides, and I have been quite patient with this game. I was patient with 1.0, and I've waited quite a while for this. People are allowed to make mistakes, but these are companies, it's their job to have a stable server for their game, and I don't care for pressing my dollars and not getting what I've payed for. It may not be his fault, but I'm completely justified in my complaints at this launch. I just assumed they would have had this fixed by launch day. Despite what anyone says, I am not being able to experience the game, and there is nothing to really defend here. I shouldn't have to play on anyone else's schedule but my own. That is not entitlement, that is what I payed for.

Will I quit this game despite all of the nonsense I've dealt with SE since FFXI? Most likely not, but they can make the greatest game ever, but if I can't even play it, then in my experience, there isn't a difference if I can't experience it.

What's the downside to being overprepared for a launch? I realize running servers costs money but like, that seems to be a pretty important part of an online game. If every MMO of all time is plagued by this issue, why does it recur?

WolvenOne

So what do you call someone who can't do his job in a nice way?

You don't, "Call," him anything. You state what you believe he did wrong in a calm civil fashion, and refrain from entering into pointless juvenile name calling. If you're trying to be productive, you state what you believe should be done to address any shortcomings, in a calm constructive manner.

Insulting people accomplishes nothing, and furthermore ends up making you look immature and entitled.

HeavensSword

Neo Member
Am I really the only one here having issues with the security token? It feels horrible to have a problem no one else has, as there is literally no help to be found anywhere on this :-/.

Support couldn't help? I know that they usually have the ability to remove a security token from your account if you call them and provide them with the information they need. Usually they do this when the security tokens battery dies, essentially leaving you locked out of your account, though I'm sure they should be able to help given your circumstances.

Not sure what else you could try otherwise.

daveo42

Banned
The "fix" is to throw more hardware at the problem, something they either seem unwilling or incapable of doing.

Yes, but SE hasn't said anything about doing that for NA/EU at all. JP is getting temporaries based on a bit of trouble they had over the weekend. Everyone else either gets lucky, gets screwed, plays in the middle of the night, or stays logged in to avoid any login issues.

Don't get me wrong, I have had an absolute blast playing and so far this hasn't been too bad a start, but setting a lower cap on servers and saying just to wait it out instead of getting some temp servers to help is a terrible move and is killing what's left of SE's image.

Planning could have easily avoided this just by planning for a number slightly north of the preorder amount to best handle the traffic they'd see in the first few weeks. And that, is very disappointing.

Eusis

What's the downside to being overprepared for a launch? I realize running servers costs money but like, that seems to be a pretty important part of an online game. If every MMO of all time is plagued by this issue, why does it recur?
It's probably because then you'd need to start merging servers and all because you may've had plenty of servers for day one but a surplus for the long haul. More fiscally sensible to grit your teeth and deal with launch issues.

Though a FEW extra servers and discrete NA/EU ones would've likely made a huge, huge difference given how lopsided Japan is relative to their userbase.

2San

How is that? Look what the guy and his team have done from dalamud to now. Server issues are not his fault. Its Square Enix as a company.
He and his team couldn't code a proper queue system. We are on the 4th day, that's enough time to code one from scratch.
You don't, "Call," him anything. You state what you believe he did wrong in a calm civil fashion, and refrain from entering into pointless juvenile name calling. If you're trying to be productive, you state what you believe should be done to address any shortcomings, in a calm constructive manner.

Insulting people accomplishes nothing, and furthermore ends up making you look immature and entitled.
Calling someone incompetent is juvenile name calling now? Stop exaggerating. I'm just expressing my frustrations.

Because companies are cheap and don't want to pay for extra servers that are going to be ghost town in a few months. They've also found that huge congestion during launch week doesn't negatively effect revenue in a significant way.

Esura

Banned
Support couldn't help? I know that they usually have the ability to remove a security token from your account if you call them and provide them with the information they need. Usually they do this when the security tokens battery dies, essentially leaving you locked out of your account, though I'm sure they should be able to help given your circumstances.

Not sure what else you could try otherwise.

In that case, could I register two security things? A token and the app on the phone? Just in case the battery dies in the token?

Eusis

Because companies are cheap and don't want to pay for extra servers that are going to be ghost town in a few months. They've also found that huge congestion during launch week doesn't negatively effect revenue in a significant way.
The closest we likely ever got to a good long term setup was GW2's overflow system as you could probably quietly take down a bunch of those servers once they're not actually needed without merging populations, but as I recall the game's actually designed that unlike FFXIV so it's not really a solution they could just take.

daveo42

Banned
It's probably because then you'd need to start merging servers and all because you may've had plenty of servers for day one but a surplus for the long haul. More fiscally sensible to grit your teeth and deal with launch issues.

Though a FEW extra servers and discrete NA/EU ones would've likely made a huge, huge difference given how lopsided Japan is relative to their userbase.

They only need to add a few additional temporary servers to help handle the launch rush. Yes, it costs a bit more, but those servers are really only there for the first few months at most and then go away.

It seems like all of this stems from the fact that all instances, dungeons or otherwise, go through the same servers. I'm not sure how many they have now, but it's no where near as many as they need right now. I'm sure they decided that even if population on all servers reaches x, the duty servers would only reach x-y. They sorely miscalculated the rush and numbers for duty are about x now, but they have to cut out y players to keep them from crashing.

Mugaaz

Anybody doing endgame stuff yet?

Not many yet. Even Legacy people need to go through main story, and it does take a while. There is an asston of running around required. There are a couple groups I've heard of that are past the hard mode primals and into the final dungeon. I heard first boss was killed there already.

Welp, least I know not to log in for a while.

Besides the whole craziness of the launch, to the people who were on at/after midnight, did the duty finder get any better?

I know as a dps, I have to wait like 40+ minutes but for the story quest dungeons it sucks :(

Guess I'll just have to hope someone in fc is doin the quests as well :x

Lucifon

All EU and NA servers are locked now. Geez!

Goddamnnn this launch... I mean 2-3 hour long queues suck but at least you know you'll get in. With FFXIV I have tons of mates who literally cannot even play whatsoever as they're unable to even make a character. I don't see why they continue to put these terrible restrictions on rather than actually try to fix the problem, it's almost like they just want people to bugger off so that things settle down themselves...

HeavensSword

Neo Member
In that case, could I register two security things? A token and the app on the phone? Just in case the battery dies in the token?

I actually looked into that briefly; I don't think you can have both linked to your account atm. Don't know if that will ever change. I've had my physical token linked to my account since FFXI, but I think the phone app would be a nicer route for anyone who doesn't use a token currently.

To be fare, I've had my token for years and it's still truckin'.

smr00

Banned
Because you can't prepare for the unexpected and even when you prepare for the expected things can still go wrong.

They predict how many people are going to buy their game and prepare for extra and even that isn't enough because you cannot predict the unpredictable. Just look at WOW's launch, Blizzard was in their prime and one of the most competent companies out there and even they couldn't predict how fucking insane that game was going to be.

It's a MMO launch. To expect anything less than problems for the first few days is just being naive. Complaining? It's a moot point. Am i bummed i can't play a game i paid for right now? Yeah, but i have also been playing MMO's since 2001-2002. I have been at the launch at every commercial MMO, i know these things are coming, it's inevitable. Doesn't matter how prepared you think you are or how much you throw at servers because shit can and will go wrong.

Also, there is a fine line between legitimate complaining and acting like a immature child and this comment isn't directed towards you it's just more of a observational comment towards things i have seen here, on twitter and elsewhere.

There are definitely people at 50 doing 50 stuff already. I've played a decent amount, but I work 60 hours a week so all I've managed is to get my Marauder to 27. A buddy I play with has just unlocked the Scholar.

That's still impressive for the log in issues and how much you work, nice job :D

Goddamnnn this launch... I mean 2-3 hour long queues suck but at least you know you'll get in. With FFXIV I have tons of mates who literally cannot even play whatsoever as they're unable to even make a character. I don't see why they continue to put these terrible restrictions on rather than actually try to fix the problem, it's almost like they just want people to bugger off so that things settle down themselves...

Settle down? If they have higher populations that they thought they won't settle down. They'll just continue until they either expand the world sizes or expand the number of worlds.

Mugaaz

There really isn't an excuse. People want to pretend there is, because that's comforting, but that doesn't make it true. Cheap is not valid reason, because it's cheaper to rent servers than to have people hate your product. You can rent server and infrastructure in todays world, its not permanent infrastructure you need to pay for after you don't need it. It's way more expensive to launch a failed MMO than it is to pay for unneeded servers for 3 months. The damage to the reputation of the company is also more expensive than renting more servers. There is just no reason other than ignorance or incompetence. I know people want it to be something else, but multiple companies failing at this proves nothing other than there a lot of incompetent people in the business. These technical challenges have solutions that exist and can be implemented ahead of time. I'm not saying you can go from broken like it is now to 100% fixed in short order. However, they absolutely could have built it to handle this load without problems.

Rektash

Progress. After about 8 hours of flailing around I came to the following conclusion:

The token works. 1 out of 40 times. How can this even be? After getting frustrated with it I just sat there depressed and tried to log in with new one time passwords for about half an hour and BAM: Suddenly it worked. I don't even ...

Removing dat shit from my account asap.

dino1980

Really starting to get annoyed. Computer restarts out of the blue. Im greated with 1017 when I try to log in again. Exe stopped working 20 after i finally got in. Greated yet again with 1017 for 30 minutes now.

Im spending more time with trying to get in than actually playing the game.

Ploid 3.0

Sell a limited amount of copies. I shouldn't be able to buy ffxiv now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom