• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have troubles with targeting if we're talking about it:

I was doing a quest where I was attacked by two enemies, dodos, I think, and so I slept one and went to attack the other. I manually selected the un-slept dodo, but for my next spell, it automatically targeted the 1st, slept, dodo. This woke up the bird, and I found myself being attacked by two enemies. I slept it again, but the game kept defaulting to the first enemy that I attacked.

Is there something I can change to fix this? Playing on a controller on PC, btw.

Did you cast your spell and then switch? Or the other way around?

TheContact

Untitled.png

Is this a Japanese thing where they don't really post on the SE forum or did Japan have a really smooth launch in every aspect? (not just server times, but also getting their codes etc..)

Ferrio

Banned
Can a Marauder be a DPS class?

I want to do DPS but I don't really want to do Lancer/Archer/Pugalist.

The answer is probably no.

I'll probably just end up doing Lancer. Or Arcanist - Summoner since I love having pets in games like WoW.

There's nothing that's equivalent to the WoW hunters with pets and stuff in this is there?

No and no.

Why do these enemys I have to kill have a heart shaped key over them?

Quest enemys have an icon over them. Also hunting log enemies have a different icon over their head. If you ever see those icons KILLLLLLL

FinKL

I'll probably just end up doing Lancer. Or Arcanist - Summoner since I love having pets in games like WoW.

I can't vouch for later on, but on the 1st dungeon, I was MRD with a PUG, I was hitting for as much as a PUG if not slightly less (2-4pts) per certain skills. Don't remember lvls, but I think we were the same. Maybe the PUG attacks faster though.

Tarazet

There's nothing that's equivalent to the WoW hunters with pets and stuff in this is there?

You won't be able to queue as a DPS for duty finders, but they seem to do respectable single-target damage if they don't have Defiance on. The weakness is that Overpower generates high threat, and they don't have any other AoE to speak of.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Maybe it's cool that I can't get in today, I was already getting a bit bored of it all when I hit Lv21. I guess I should look into the crafting and stuff, is that entertaining?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Subbing this... I may be interested. Won't get it until server stuff is resolved, plus I'm juggling like 5 new releases (why did everything come out in august?)

How well is graphic downgrading handled? I assume pretty well since it's Square artists, but I'm just wondering. I won't upgrade my videocard until Black Friday.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So do registration codes even work at the moment via digital download? Want to get a copy for the Mrs. but unsure if that's even going to work.

Skilletor

Did you cast your spell and then switch? Or the other way around?

It went:

Two enemies appear
I sleep dodo 1
manually select dodo 2, cast fire

Here, I thought it would stay on the enemy I selected, but it defaulted back to dodo 1

My next spell hits dodo 1, dodo 1 wakes up and starts to eat me.

WolvenOne

BTW, just in case people missed it, it IS confirmed that SquareEnix is expanding their data centers to meet capacity.

It'll take a few days to get the new servers up and running though. They're saying late this week, early next. That makes sense, since setting up a new server isn't as easy as sliding a debit card and pushing a button. It'll take time to set up the software, stress test the hardware, etc etc.

So, yes, between the gradual leveling off of traffic, and increased capacity, congestion woes should be a thing of the past soon.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1l6u3k/datacenter_expansion_as_early_as_next_week/

Alucrid

Banned
I can't vouch for later on, but on the 1st dungeon, I was MRD with a PUG, I was hitting for as much as a PUG if not slightly less (2-4pts) per certain skills. Don't remember lvls, but I think we were the same. Maybe the PUG attacks faster though.
Everyone does the same damage at that level. That said a mrd competing for threat against other tanks ain't a good idra

The targeting options are fucked. I have disabled minions/NPCs, in combat, out of combat, weapon sheathed, weapon out, customized targeting, etc. but carbuncle still is the #1 target every time. That part of the options menu is convoluted as hell.

My understanding (which could totally be wrong) of those options menu refers to tab targetting. Like if you want to just select enemies, you set the Enemies preference for when your weapon is out. Then, when you target, you have to use the dpad (or whatever the keyboard equivalent is). Just facing something and pressing X won't necessarily follow your targeting preferences.

I have troubles with targeting if we're talking about it:

I was doing a quest where I was attacked by two enemies, dodos, I think, and so I slept one and went to attack the other. I manually selected the un-slept dodo, but for my next spell, it automatically targeted the 1st, slept, dodo. This woke up the bird, and I found myself being attacked by two enemies. I slept it again, but the game kept defaulting to the first enemy that I attacked.

Is there something I can change to fix this? Playing on a controller on PC, btw.

When you switch targets, you have to confirm it, so pressing X or A or whatever your controller button is. If you just switch without confirming, after you do your first action you'll go right back to whatever your last confirmed target is.

Feep

Banned
Speaking of targeting, what is "focus target" for? It has its own UI element and everything. I think the command to trigger it is Ctrl+F.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
What in the actual fuck is going on over at SOE? I want to play with a friend on Diabolos, yet they have actually closed character creation on not one, but like TWENTY servers?

Diabolos
Gilgamesh
Leviathan
Balmung
Excalibur
Hyperion
Carbuncle
Fenrir
Ultima
Garuda
Ifrit
Ramuh
Atomos
Tiamat
Masamune
Alexander
Anima
Titan
Aegis
Durandal
Gungnir
Tonberry
Mandragora
Bahamut
Chocobo

That is so far beyond acceptable I don't know what to say. My buddy is trying to play as we speak and he can ONLY create on a Japanese server. From Portland.

Is this permanent?

HeavensSword

Neo Member
It went:

Two enemies appear
I sleep dodo 1
manually select dodo 2, cast fire

Here, I thought it would stay on the enemy I selected, but it defaulted back to dodo 1

My next spell hits dodo 1, dodo 1 wakes up and starts to eat me.

This probably isn't the case, but just to rule it out. You aren't using any skill macros that involve setting a "focus target" and perhaps casting on it?

Speaking of targeting, what is "focus target" for? It has its own UI element and everything. I think the command to trigger it is Ctrl+F.

For fast targeting pretty much.

I don't really use it but it probably is the most useful for a healer. Set the tank as a focus target so you can quickly switch back to them and heal.

I typically just use F1-F4 for that but it might have some applicable use later on when you grow to 8 and 24 man parties.

WolvenOne

What in the actual fuck is going on over at SOE? I want to play with a friend on Diabolos, yet they have actually closed character creation on not one, but like TWENTY servers?

That is so far beyond acceptable I don't know what to say. My buddy is trying to play as we speak and he can ONLY create on a Japanese server. From Portland.

Is this permanent?

No, it's not permanent. They've been rotating character creation on servers for the past few days, in order to spread out the population and such.

Tarazet

Is this permanent?

My server, Midgardsormr is still open. Had very few problems in the past couple of days.

I'm getting a 3035 error when I'm trying to create a character on Malboro and Fairy, the only ones temporarily open. Does that mean that they're full again?

What's the JP exile server of choice? I'm thinking I might as well go there, if the servers are in the US it wouldn't be much of a ping difference anyway.

Is this permanent?

No, of course it isn't. They're working right now as pointed out above at getting new datacenteres up to expand worlds.

Feep

Banned
For fast targeting pretty much.

I don't really use it but it probably is the most useful for a healer. Set the tank as a focus target so you can quickly switch back to them and heal.

I typically just use F1-F4 for that but it might have some applicable use later on when you grow to 8 and 24 man parties.
Maybe you can Ctrl+F the big bad, and then after you're done killing adds you can focus right back, I guess. I dunno.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
No, of course it isn't. They're working right now as pointed out above at getting new datacenteres up to expand worlds.

Thanks for the good news. Was just shocked because the verbiage on the forums sounded ominous, and I needed a good freak out session for a game I don't yet own.

Mission accomplished!

Teletraan1

Banned
I just can't decide on a grand company. I will be maining white mage and I was looking at the gear, and it seems like the city I love the most, Limsa Lominsa, has the worst gear prospects. I know that you can change between them, but for some reason knowing that doesn't make the decision any easier.

Probably late here. I sat there and listened to each of the speeches and chose my GC based on what they actually said. I think a few stat differences on some stepping stone gear is less of a concern to me.

daveo42

Banned
BTW, just in case people missed it, it IS confirmed that SquareEnix is expanding their data centers to meet capacity.

It'll take a few days to get the new servers up and running though. They're saying late this week, early next. That makes sense, since setting up a new server isn't as easy as sliding a debit card and pushing a button. It'll take time to set up the software, stress test the hardware, etc etc.

So, yes, between the gradual leveling off of traffic, and increased capacity, congestion woes should be a thing of the past soon.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1l6u3k/datacenter_expansion_as_early_as_next_week/

Well this is some good news that they are getting new servers. I know there was some confusion abou the original message because of minor issues occuring with JP servers over the weekend being mentioned in the release. My guess is that these servers won't be in till after Labor Day unless they get them in late this week. I wonder if they are actually buying servers or renting them...

Is this permanent?

It seems like it may be the case until they can add in those new servers.

Baleoce

Absolutely disgusted with SE over this double service account saga. They've been making people both fill out the form *and* contact customer support. What's the point of the detailed form then? And when people do queue (which by the way people have been doing for hours all day) they've had a popup telling them that their place in the queue is "cancelled". Then at another point they stopped us being able to actually get through to them via live support. And all of this because of them directly misleading us. The people who have actually managed to get through to them have been given the clear runaround. I don't even know what to say at this point.

Skilletor

My understanding (which could totally be wrong) of those options menu refers to tab targetting. Like if you want to just select enemies, you set the Enemies preference for when your weapon is out. Then, when you target, you have to use the dpad (or whatever the keyboard equivalent is). Just facing something and pressing X won't necessarily follow your targeting preferences.

When you switch targets, you have to confirm it, so pressing X or A or whatever your controller button is. If you just switch without confirming, after you do your first action you'll go right back to whatever your last confirmed target is.

This might be it. I'll have to test.

This probably isn't the case, but just to rule it out. You aren't using any skill macros that involve setting a "focus target" and perhaps casting on it?

Nope, thought it was really weird. If the above is true, I would wonder why me casting a spell on the 2nd enemy isn't confirmation enough that I want to attack it, haha.

Untitled.png

Is this a Japanese thing where they don't really post on the SE forum or did Japan have a really smooth launch in every aspect? (not just server times, but also getting their codes etc..)

Bitching on official forums isn't really Japanese gamer style. Unofficial boards are a lot funnier.

There also hasn't been the same amounts of people trying to get in, leaving their characters idle, or concentrating in particular servers. They have, however, been having server issues as well. Conspiracy's done.

Allard

At the moment PUG/LNC/ARC are your DPS class and Archer even has a slight 'buffing' aspect with the Bard Job. Arcanist is the first pet class in this game.

Now having said that though there is still hope you will have more options in the future. The other classes are getting 2 jobs too, its not going to just be Arcanist that gets that and Yoshida has already said the second jobs will have new mechanics that when you change to them it might even change how old abilities fundamentally function (like how summon command changes depending on your job and switching of main stats). There will also be new classes with their own accompanying jobs in the future but Yoshida and company have been mum on how quickly we can expect to see them, he did say they are not currently planning them to be expansion content and hope to implement them with patches.

The Final Fantasy series has the beastmaster job so I expect sometime in the future it will become available, maybe on an existing class or a whole new one which might fill your hunter niche. Would be kinda cool to add it to MRD if they dont make a Viking or Beserker Job as their second one (Beserker seems the most appropriate considering their primary weapon plus its legit FF job that happens to fill the DPS niche WAR doesnt have at the moment). Hopefully Musketeer and maybe a Ronin class (And then have NIN and SAM split off from that!) are added and maybe one more mage class and then they just focus on getting everyone two jobs and hopefully the game will be in a good place. Yoshida mentioned his next class type he wants to add to the game is a 'scout' class like Thief or Rogue, trick mechanics and sneaky damage etc.

Tarazet

Well this is some good news that they are getting new servers. I know there was some confusion abou the original message because of minor issues occuring with JP servers over the weekend. My guess is that these servers won't be in till after Labor Day unless they get them in late this week. I wonder if they are actually buying servers or renting them...

They're buying server farm space from Cogent. Their own data center is used for development and not for actually hosting as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom