• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

smr00

Banned
When you already fucked up on the game once when you relaunch you better be perfect. They knew going in they had zero margin for error. People aren't going to cut you some slack when you already failed once, and to be quite honest if you purchased the game and can't log in or get into the server you want you have every reason to be upset.
Again, there is a fine line between being upset and reasonable and being childish/immature.

0 room for error? Impossible, you can't plan for everything. MMO's have shaky launches and technically today is the official launch of the game. Not Phase 3 or 4 and not early access. The game hasn't even been out OFFICIALLY for 24 hours. Yes, it's reasonable and ok to be upset but to act like a immature child? That's not ok. That reflects badly on everyone and further proves the gamer man child immature stereotype.

What's reasonable is to accept problems at a MMO launch because it's inevitable. It's ok to be upset but be grown up about it. Act like an adult not a child and this comment isn't directed towards you and i want to make that clear. This is directed towards the immature people on twitter babbling incoherently and throwing out unneeded racial slurs and cursing.

TL;DL It's a video game. It's ok to be upset but don't be a childish about it. MMO's have launch problems and early access =/= launch.

Vodh

Heyyy, back home from a 12 hours bullshit shift at work, time to play some FFXIV!

Aaaand logged in on the first try, no 1017, no queue, bless you sleepy EU population :3

daveo42

Banned
They clearly have a huge problem with infrastructure if they have to completely disable the queues that they planned on due to the performance hit taken by the servers. What's the point of a queue if it bogs down the server as much as actually having the player in the game, thus forcing them to turn queues off & infrequently turn them back on to let people in?

I thought they never even considered queues before launch because they thought they'd never need it. The queue system they have now isn't one at all really, seeing as how it will kick people waiting to log in. It's not a real queue system as well since it's have a negative effect on servers. Which is crazy, because the servers that they should be the most worried about and are the ones causing a problem are the instance servers.

Login servers should have been fixed anyway over the weekend during one of their maintainence periods.

I do agree that their infrastructure is terrible if one set of servers is bringing down the entire game. Theoretcally you should be able to play without the duty servers up till they fix the issues or kill party instances until more are brought online. That would at least allow for people to log in and do story quests up to a point and level or craft till this is all fixed. It's not the best action, but it could allow people to actually play.

My posts are getting a bit too long-winded and I'm not a fan

B-Dex

Again, there is a fine line between being upset and reasonable and being childish/immature.

0 room for error? Impossible, you can't plan for everything. MMO's have shaky launches and technically today is the official launch of the game. Not Phase 3 or 4 and not early access. The game hasn't even been out OFFICIALLY for 24 hours. Yes, it's reasonable and ok to be upset but to act like a immature child? That's not ok. That reflects badly on everyone and further proves the gamer man child immature stereotype.

What's reasonable is to accept problems at a MMO launch because it's inevitable. It's ok to be upset but be grown up about it. Act like an adult not a child and this comment isn't directed towards you and i want to make that clear. This is directed towards the immature people on twitter babbling incoherently and throwing out unneeded racial slurs and cursing.

TL;DL It's a video game. It's ok to be upset but don't be a childish about it. MMO's have launch problems and early access =/= launch.

Servers were faltering during phase 4. Nothing was done. Same thing happens during early access. Nothing was done. Same thing happens on official launch. They may add more servers if they deem it worthy after monitoring it but it won't be for at least a week.

Sorry, you already had 3-4 weeks to get it together and now you need to answer to your paying customers.

Baleoce

When the site went up there were two options: add new platform and add new service account. Since most people assumed that their platforms of choice were already selected (early access), we chose new service account, and that's how we've ended up where we we today.
They've since added some stuff to clarify but apparently it's still not enough.

Exactly, and how is "add new platform" even a logical choice when the CE service code is on the same platform your pre-order service code was on, and then there's the fact as I've already mentioned that the leaflet *told* us to make a new service account. They've completely shafted us.

Torquill

I hope everyone engaging in outlandish name calling of the dev team puts their heart and soul into something that ends up being truly impressive and have someone tell them they accomplished nothing of note because of a temporary issue caused by the fact that their wonderful work wasn't perfect in every single possible way.

smr00

Banned
Servers were faltering during phase 4. Nothing was done. Same thing happens during early access. Nothing was done. Same thing happens on official launch. They may add more servers if they deem it worthy after monitoring it but it won't be for at least a week.

Sorry, you already had 3-4 weeks to get it together and now you need to answer to your paying customers.
And i am sure they have been hard at work trying to come for a fix. Somethings cannot be fixed overnight and the first few weeks they could of thought it was X or Y and ended up being Z.

Game hasn't been out 24 hours and plenty of people are playing. Yeah, they should add queues and fix it but again.. It's an MMO and it's going to have launch problems and acting out isn't going to resolve it any faster.

When we hit day #2 and 3 that is the time to get outraged, not less than 24 hours into fucking launch. You are naive if you thought there would be absolutely no problems. Again, there is a fine line between being upset and being childish.

fleck0

I hope everyone engaging in outlandish name calling of the dev team puts their heart and soul into something that ends up being truly impressive and have someone tell them they accomplished nothing of note because of a temporary issue caused by the fact that their wonderful work wasn't perfect in every single possible way.

You have to be able to log in to see all the accomplishment and majesty.

FLEABttn

Banned

Name calling is inappropriate but there's an awful lot of space between expecting perfection and being able to play at all.

Torquill

You have to be able to log in to see all the accomplishment and majesty.
No ,you don't. The load itself is testimony to their accomplishment given the sorry state of the first one.

If things still don't work by the weekend then yeah, there's gonna be repercussions. But some launch day trouble does not doom and gloom you. Wow proves that 100x over.

Mature

I'm calling out the producer, because he is responsible. He is the face of the project and gets the praise for all that is right on the game as well. You praise him for all the good in the game, but he is not responsible for the bad parts of the game? Having problems at launch is normal, but we are on the 4th day and the queue's still do not work. That's embarrassing to say the least.
Whether or not it's his fault is neither here nor there, I'm saying that despite that big issue, that doesn't make him incompetent. I was just irritated by that hyperbolic statement. That being said, anyone who purchases the game and is unable to play has a right to be upset. I don't agree with anyone who is calling people who are complaining an "entitled gamer". And, rightfully so, they point fingers at the producer, the developers and SE.

B-Dex

No ,you don't. The load itself is testimony to their accomplishment given the sorry state of the first one.

If things still don't work by the weekend then yeah, there's gonna be repercussions. But some launch day trouble does not doom and gloom you. Wow proves that 100x over.

They've had the same troubles since open beta. This isn't a launch day issue.

Sakura

If people are unsatisfied with the current state of FFXIV, can't they just get a refund? Or couldn't they have cancelled their preorder during Early Access?

Shouta

I'm curious how materia will work with higher levels. Seems odd to have to wear a lesser set of armor and run around with it for awhile to just destroy it.

I mentioned in the thread already but a lot of the gear around level 50 that can be crafted have lower stats but are much more friendly to melding, allowing the potential to make them equivalent to dungeon drops.

Materia slots are a 100% chance of melding materia to the gear but you can meld beyond just those two slots allowing you to get something like 4 or 5 materia on a single piece. With a bit of luck, and the correct layout, you can basically make your own endgame piece. It's also easier because you only need to do a double/triple meld with a piece of gear instead of a quad or quintuple meld which is incredible difficult.

Additionally, you don't lose the gear anymore during a meld (I believe) but do lose the materia. So the took the sting of failing those synths down a little bit.

B-Dex

Huh? I participated in every phase without an issue... Is that not what you're referring to?

Well lucky you? Turning a blind eye to all the struggles because it didn't affect you doesn't mean there weren't any. Did you not read any the previous thread?

If anything the state of the game has regressed. At least before it had a working queue system instead of flat out saying "'sorry we're full try later".

Pollux

So GAF is on Ultros, but that server is closed...which server should I select? Will I be able to transfer to Ultros later?

WolvenOne

If people are unsatisfied with the current state of FFXIV, can't they just get a refund? Or couldn't they have cancelled their preorder during Early Access?

Some individuals probably should've canceled and waited a few days, yes. It's easier to see that in retrospect though, so I certainly don't blame people.

As for getting refunds, well, it's a little difficult to do that for PC games.

Well I paid for game now and yeah even madder lol. This is ridiculous. Went to gamestop to pick up copy and 2 other customers were there complaining to employers about game not working had to explain to them its just server issues but they were upset.

Torquill

I'm not trying to white knight SE here. It just irritates me when people write off an entire 3 years of work and entire dev teams who have produced something pretty darn good due to temporary irritation (even when that irritation is warranted in principal).

Additionally, you don't lose the gear anymore during a meld (I believe) but do lose the materia. So the took the sting of failing those synths down a little bit.

Yeah you no longer lose the gear, multi-melding is so much easier now. Back in 1.x I tried for months to get that 5 meld achievement. I randomly tried doing it last night and got it in 5 minutes.

Mature

Well lucky you? Turning a blind eye to all the struggles because it didn't affect you doesn't mean there weren't any. Did you not read any the previous thread?

If anything the state of the game has regressed. At least before it had a working queue system instead of flat out saying "'sorry we're full try later".
Ouch. Guess I redacted my statement too slow.

TheFatOne

Wow had my first issue downloading the client. The server failed so now I have to start downloading it from the beginning. Just fucking awesome. Does anyone know if there is a torrent where I can download the client from? If this thing crashes and makes me start over I'm never going to play the game.

WolvenOne

So GAF is on Ultros, but that server is closed...which server should I select? Will I be able to transfer to Ultros later?

Yes, getting a straight answer on this would help immensely. I mean, whether or not there'd be a free transfer period sometime in the next two weeks or not. If there is, then I'd just tell all the new players to roll on a Japanese server until things were cleared up in NA.

Since I don't, "know," they're going to do that, I can't make such a recommendation.

kiryogi

Banned
I'm curious how materia will work with higher levels. Seems odd to have to wear a lesser set of armor and run around with it for awhile to just destroy it.

This is where you need to be a crafter or really lucky. Tier 4 material will only come from gear that's lvl55...meaning you're making that stuff for yourself to spiritbond or you have to a huge surplus from dungeons

qq more

It's really a shame that this game is having such issues at launch, especially considering how much of a good turn around this apparently is. (Never played 1.0 but heard nothing but bad from it) I feel bad for Yoshida... a very ambitious game he made having issues he can't really control himself.

daveo42

Banned
Home in less than an hour. I hope I can squeeze into Ultros then since my playtime is severely limited on Wednesday and Thursday.

Timeaisis

It's really a shame that this game is having such issues at launch, especially considering how much of a good turn around this apparently is. (Never played 1.0 but heard nothing but bad from it) I feel bad for Yoshida... a very ambitious game he made having issues he can't really control himself.

Well, it is a good game. If it was bad, no one would want to play. Definitely a painful launch, but also a very fun MMO.

Shouta

Maybe try one of the other servers that are listed in the OP. A few of us are on Excalibur too but it's likely they've closed it off too.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
<sees YoshiP's speech video...>

<upgrades to the CE and subs 180 days>

I would sub for longer but there is no option. Fuck the haters, I'm all in Yoshi!

qq more

Well, it is a good game. If it was bad, no one would want to play. Definitely a painful launch, but also a very fun MMO.

Yeah, I totally agree there. It's a pretty fun game and I'm not even a MMO or a FF fan! (Though I've been getting interested in the FF series for a while...)

WolvenOne

They'll be paid, too. Which is stupid. I think SE should give away one for free after this all blows over.

Well I knew there'd be paid server transfers. Which, depending on the price wouldn't be a big deal. I mean, if it's .99USD, it'd still be a no brainer to roll on a Japanese server for a few weeks.

So communication alone might alleviate some problems.

Honestly, people should have expected issues to arise on launch. The only thing I wish SE did was roll out their game like BioWare did for SW:TOR, so it'd be much more smooth for people to get in. Alas, I don't think they expected this much due to 1.0 being terribad.

Timeaisis

Acerac

Banned
Is this a parody? It reads like a parody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom