• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
But VIT won't help you keep attention. STR will. Right? Or are you saying you go all VIT because maintaining aggro is all skill based for you?

In a nutshell, Warrior = AOE damage sponges, Paladin = single target damage mitigators. Both are capable tanks, but that's their specialties.

More VIT = more HP = Not Dying = Important for being a useful tank. At least the Marauder anyways, considering that I dont have the defensive option of a shield like the Gladiator / Paladin, so need to make up for that with HP.

Sides if Im using my skills correctly and party members are watching their own hate levels monsters should not be turning their attention away from me. So basically what you said, skill based. That and there are times when the healer has to turn their attention to other party members when adds come into the mix for some boss fights and I need to continue hammering away at the boss to keep its attention / not drag it close to the other members with assisting. So the extra HP helps there. Plus while its not much the second wind Pug skill is useful too for that small HP recovery for those situations combined with potion use depending on how long the "add cleanup" takes and need to go without the healer.

From my experience so far too that extra bits of life has been a godsend. Would have died otherwise.

Fishing for life bro! So relaxing.

Relaxing is me making 100000000000 iron ingots lol

Sakura

What is the etiquette for cutscenes in dungeons? I just did Toto-Rak for the first time, and I was watching the cutscene, but my other party members started fighting the boss while I was mid cutscene. Does the boss fight start right away for people who haven't seen the cutscene or what?

What is the etiquette for cutscenes in dungeons? I just did Toto-Rak for the first time, and I was watching the cutscene, but my other party members started fighting the boss while I was mid cutscene. Does the boss fight start right away for people who haven't seen the cutscene or what?

That sounds like a bug, when other people are in a cutscene you get trapped in a little circle and can't move out of it until all are ready.

akaoni

Banned
Took a break from WHM to level an Archer to 15 for Black Mage.

God damn, it's like I'm playing a completely different game!

Good...good....let+the+hate+flow+through+you+_70e01877d2db8b813aa4926d4c1c5bdc.jpg

Join us.

i'm convinced random DD players are now far worse than in beta. fights in haukke and longstop take a looooong time compared to what i'm used to. terrible.

that or they buffed hp in dungeons by 50%.

WolvenOne

Aw fragnabit.

Overestimated how much time I had left, tried to do a run on Halatali, which then turned into a speed run when we realized we only had a half hour left. Then our healer either left mid run or was disconnected.

We at least managed to take down the halfway boss with just the three of us, but by then we only had five minutes left. Shame, I didn't get any armor that was better than anything I already had. I don't really need it to fight Ifrit, but it'd be nice.

Plus, well, I want to finish that dungeon before fighting Ifrit for some reason. I dunno, maybe its cause it's the one dungeon in Phase 3 that I didn't finish.

Still, had fun, and hopefully the maintenance will help with logins a bit in the future. It'd be nice to be able to log on before ten at night.

Teknoman

Yeah the run we had, only mage stuff dropped, with some fairly decent DoW pants at the end. Nothing too fancy though...at least not for DoW.

Paprikka

Ah I think that was the group I was healing? (EDIT:Guess not, just lots of impatient people out there.) Yeah the tank should've waited. Anytime there's a cutscene like that you can actually skip out of it and start moving around sooner. But it's really obvious if others are still watching a cutscene so most groups will wait.

That sounds like a bug, when other people are in a cutscene you get trapped in a little circle and can't move out of it until all are ready.

That's only at the start of the instance, this was right before the final boss.

WolvenOne

i'm convinced random DD players are now far worse than in beta. fights in haukke and longstop take a looooong time compared to what i'm used to. terrible.

that or they buffed hp in dungeons by 50%.

A bit of both possibly. MRD's do a lot more damage than GLD's, but it doesn't feel like I'm taking enemies down much faster than I did in phase 3.

Barakov

I played a good amount tonight but it's still not enough. This game is pretty great so far. It's been awhile since I was this in to a MMO.

As much as I like playing on Ultros, I'd probably switch over to a server where I could log on consistently.

Desi

Yeah I was only allowed on after midnight est. rushed several missions up to Bowl of Embers and did my first Halatali run, which was fun if a bit confusing. After Ifrit I hope to go back to Gridania and start the level 20 archer and conjuror quests. Should have had Bard by now. :/

BLCKATK

God damn I'm loving this game. Just completed Titan. What a great fight. I'm also surprised at how much I am loving Black Mage, it was easily my least favorite class in 1.0. Can't wait to get back in tomorrow. My Free Company just got Rank 5 so it's going to interesting trying out the actions.

Hopefully tomorrow I can push far past Level 41 :D

Xux

Chocobo companion is pretty underwhelming. Choco Regen is about 1% of my HP every three seconds and it feels like it'll be dozens of thousands if not a couple hundred thousand EXP to get the next rank and it's actual cure. :(

WolvenOne

Also, note to self. Beat Halatali, Ifit, Taco Rak, and Haukke Manor, then level up your GLD to unlock the Warrior class.

...I know MRD is level 30, but what level does GLD have to be at to unlock WAR?

Riposte

Also, note to self. Beat Halatali, Ifit, Taco Rak, and Haukke Manor, then level up your GLD to unlock the Warrior class.

...I know MRD is level 30, but what level does GLD have to be at to unlock WAR?

EDIT: How do you guys want the OP of thread #2 to look? Just the repost the 2nd post with a link to this thread's OP?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You know whats awesome, with in the 10 minute countdown to log out the Corethas Fate Zerg crew bum rushed 2 Fate mobs back 2 back and made it back to sanctuary, AMAZING!

Took out ROC and the Dragon in the cliff lair area and still had 2 minutes to spare HAHA!

Like 15K away from level 45, my main mission storyline is on level 27 LOL!

WolvenOne

Chocobo companion is pretty underwhelming. Choco Regen is about 1% of my HP every three seconds and it feels like it'll be dozens of thousands if not a couple hundred thousand EXP to get the next rank and it's actual cure. :(

Don't Chocobo's level with you?

Reknoc

Yeah I was only allowed on after midnight est. rushed several missions up to Bowl of Embers and did my first Halatali run, which was fun if a bit confusing. After Ifrit I hope to go back to Gridania and start the level 20 archer and conjuror quests. Should have had Bard by now. :/

Not if you're levelling CNJ.

WolvenOne

EDIT: How do you guys want the OP of thread #2 to look? Just the repost the 2nd post with a link to this thread's OP?

Aw gee, I'll be able to unlock that in like an hour then. I mean, with that secondary class XP boost and all, not to mention my hunting log, fates, and a mount to work with.

Mounts really do make leveling so much faster in this game.

Ferrio

Banned
Think I might concetrate on tradeskills for the time being. Getting to lvl 50 on a battlecraft is nice but isn't as advantageous as having an early trade I suppose.

Not a bad night for me. managed to make it onto Ultros a bit before midnight, hit up Ifrit, and chose my GC. hopefully, if the login servers cooperate tomorrow after work, I can be 'boco riding before bedtime!

also, ifrit was extremely fun, and i got to use limit break for the first time (pugilist)! used it to land the finishing blow. felt good, man. felt real good.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Took them hours to clarify this. The US managers probably had to go begging to the head honchos in Japan to include NA/EU in this upgrade, hence the delay.
Or they had to wait with confirming it, because time difference.

WolvenOne

15, but you may want to take it to 22 for provoke.

True, I plan to get all battle crafts leveled up to 50 eventually, but provoke's a pretty good skill to have. I might have to add a keyboard hotbar by then though. Use the controller for movement and combo's, hotbar for Buffs and Cooldown abilities.

Granted, I haven't figured out how to set that just yet.

On another note though, kind of disappointed with the way AF is handled this time around. Picked it up on my WHM after I hit 45, thought I was in for a treat with some rough battles (like 1.x had)... and 10 minutes later I had 4 of 5 AF lol. I mean I know AF is literally bottom of the barrel gear wise, but they should still make it interesting :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Don't Chocobo's level with you?

Yes

Best place to rank them up is in FATE's, they accumulate the parties XP boost of all mobs killed and top of that if a final boss is in the FATE they get a nice chunk off that

Attacker Choco is the best

I learned a nice trick to get my high level Hunting Log mobs
I had to kill 3 Beastmen Archers which were level 47, I being 41

I had to do the nuke nuke sleep, repeat until death
With Choco attacker, I just shoot off a Blizzard towards enemy, just to grab enemy + a lil hate
Attacker Choco will get hate with in 10-15 seconds, so keep healing yourself, just as the mob turns their attention to the choco, have cure handy on your bar and keep healing your buddy, he will do all the work right at the end I let off a nuke and got most of my logs done that way

You can even let it fight for you, while you go take care of adds like the Coerthas Sarva (Dragon Fight), it keeps fighting and chipping the dragon while I go kill the adds and make it less laggy and not many dead mages

Feep

Banned
Sounds like higher level content is quality. And hell, I STILL haven't done a Guildhest. Do people do those? I was told to wait for second/third job leveling to really try them.

WolvenOne

Sounds like higher level content is quality. And hell, I STILL haven't done a Guildhest. Do people do those? I was told to wait for second/third job leveling to really try them.

I'd forgotten about those.

In Phase 3, they gave a TON of XP, but only once. Repeats gave XP, but, not nearly as much. So, if you want to quickly level up a second or third job they're good. If however, your goal is to level your primary as far as possible, as fast as possible, you might as well use your XP there.

Really, it depends on what your goal is, and where your priorities lay.

Kenai

Alright, so now that everyone has really given this a try, would people who hated the original FFXIV say it's now worth jumping in? I really am tempted to... I missed out on the FFXI craze, and people said that it ended up being quite good.

Almost everything I dislike about the game has to do with the technical aspect of the login problems. The actual game itself is fantastic. Extensive character and class options, a big beautiful world to explore, and more stuff to do than you'd care to hear, yet you can get something very productive done solo even if you log in for a little bit (which was a big problem I had with FF 11). Playing a different class or even a craft feels quite different from another, yet there are bonuses and skills desirable for leveling up multiple off jobs for whatever you decide your "main" classes to be.

The big question I have still is how they are going to handle endgame/raid content, but considering I just now finally got one job to 30 before logout and am slowly gathering mats for just a few crafting professions I can keep myself occupied for quite a while. I'm not going to be able to play nearly as much on a regular basis as I have the last few days.

If I had to think of one other thing I disliked it's that I wish they had designed 1-2 more of the lowbie jobs to be able to queue as tank or healer in Duty Finder. The queues for the DPS classes are quite long (kinda like WoW Dungeon Finder) and also tied to several points in the main storyline. There's plenty of stuff that can be worked on in the meantime while one is waiting, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom