• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally managed to get in last night and play until the first time inn becomes available. EU servers were all utterly greyed out, so made my toon on Ultros (NA).

Could not make two steps without seeing someone with the GAF suffix. Lol.

We had 200 people online at once earlier before maintenance.

I did Cutter's Cry earlier and realized there's still 7 dungeons left according to the dungeon video. Crazy.

Even if the last few are purely endgame dungeons there's still quite a bit left to do in my last 10 levels to cap.

Kenai

Stefan™;78689009 said:
Looked up all of the skills the Summoner could learn and there's not many. :/

You mean cross class stuff? Since ACN is the base job the SMN gets access to a lot of that kit as well. The ACN/SMN/SCH family by the very nature of one class/two jobs has more than just about anything else.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Lol. Seriously we are everywhere in ultros. Every zone I go to I see someone gaf running around no matter what time of day.

Reminds me of the good memories from the guild wars 2 days with the GAF guys all over the place. Zerging like no other zerg squads could in pvp.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
What do you do with all of the stuff you craft?

Also, is it easy to level up the crafting classes?

I keep them for Grand Company turn ins (xp and seals) and the occasional Tradecraft Leve to help supplement xp.

I'm basically setting up a good foundation for myself in the game with leveling everything to a certain point, then picking one to level. I'm not sure if I want to level up the gatherers to 50 first before I take on crafting or not though...

WolvenOne

Not doing any crafting till I get my dragoon to 50.

Similar boat.

I really really enjoyed crafting in the Beta, but, it requires either a lot of time or a lot of Gil lvl your crafting jobs. It doesn't take much time to go up a handful of levels of course, but, once you start needing crafted items to level up, well, your options are then to level up other jobs to get those items, or buy them. So if you want to focus on one crafting job at a time, it's expensive, and you might as well wait until you have ample extra Gil to use first.

Course, the end result of all this, is that each crafting job is going to be easier and quicker than the last, since there'll be fewer items that act as a bottle neck each time you go through.

so I don't have the best internet connection interms of speed, but it's pretty stable for where I live. Anyway, I've tried downloading the patch twice now and just when I almost get to 3gb, I encounter an error that forces me to restart the launcher and the entire patch process.

This game can go fuck itself! I'm so MED RIGHT NOW
LLShC.gif

Parakeetman

What do you do with all of the stuff you craft?

Also, is it easy to level up the crafting classes?

Btw if you do the leve quest stuff for crafting, be sure to turn in only HQ items of the requests as you will get pretty much a 200% payout on EXP. Big plus since means less time sitting on your hands grinding away making 10000000000 ingots like me. :D

Similar boat.

I really really enjoyed crafting in the Beta, but, it requires either a lot of time or a lot of Gil lvl your crafting jobs. It doesn't take much time to go up a handful of levels of course, but, once you start needing crafted items to level up, well, your options are then to level up other jobs to get those items, or buy them. So if you want to focus on one crafting job at a time, it's expensive, and you might as well wait until you have ample extra Gil to use first.

Course, the end result of all this, is that each crafting job is going to be easier and quicker than the last, since there'll be fewer items that act as a bottle neck each time you go through.

Actually I think its easier to level the crafting now / supplement the gil bleeding since everyone is low level currently and you can make $$$ on the mats and selling other things fellow crafters need. Once the game goes on further I can imagine the economy will be totally broken making it harder to make cash. Its why I hate how low they made NPC prices when you sell stuff to them. Really dont like games that rely on making money by having to rely on other humans / player based economy unless its something overly complex like EVE where it keeps the idiots out, therefore markets stay at a level which doesnt make you do the "Jackie Chan" when you see the prices of things being sold.

Even now there are idiots who put stuff up for sale same price as the vendors.

Every single bloody MMO Ive played Ive been a "merchant" so to speak and always dread dealing with player run markets due to this sort of mass idiocy. Would be far better if they had idiot checks added into the game itself to prevent morons from mucking up the market.

rockx4

Yup! Key to being a master crafter is really to have all them leveled. I only have Goldsmith/Weaver/Blacksmith @ 50 personally and while I can make things for myself, it won't be HQ unless I do Alchemist and Culinarian

Which to note if you want any hope of completing the crafting class quests, you need to have the ability to HQ. Towards the end, it asks you for some basically endgame recipes to HQ. Of course the reward for completing your crafting class quests is a tool that is second only to Luminary.

Hmm, forgot about your crafting, I'll probably need to get you to craft me some gear for my WHM. I'm still wearing junk on it lol. And this is my character in ffxiv don't think I ever mentioned.

iMJsclNzT0H1k.png

I'm probably just going to finish the story quest and do gathering\crafting and dungeons on WHM instead of playing around on DRG.

kiryogi

Banned
Hmm, forgot about your crafting, I'll probably need to get you to craft me some gear for my WHM. I'm still wearing junk on it lol. And this is my character in ffxiv don't think I ever mentioned.

iMJsclNzT0H1k.png

I'm probably just going to finish the story quest and do gathering\crafting and dungeons on WHM instead of playing around on DRG.

I was wondering who you were! lol and yeah I can make almost anything WVR/BSM/GSM, just not HQ, just bring me mats! Or maybe I have some spare :shrug:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1359180/

Me! Don't get why I'm in my WVR AF yet im wearing my PLD gear. XD

Hey, guys. Quick question. I bought the first version of the game through the S-E store (digital download) a bit before they closed it down. Do I have to buy it again? It's not on my S-E account or anything...

Dunan

Whole thing is down for maintenance as I type this (5:40 PM JT; 4:40 AM ET; 8:40 GMT?) despite letting me download the latest patch; I'd been hoping to get an hour or so of gameplay in before I have to go out.

1) Is there a guide to all the acronyms here? Like DPS and DD and stuff?
2) Are there any tips on how to play each class so people don't moan at us? I haven't been complained at so I might be doing it right, but it'd be nice if there was a guide for how to know what to prioritise with each class.

I'm right there with you on (1). MMO culture in general, for whatever reason, has a much more opaque and impenetrable argot than other types of games; typically a word will shift meaning on multiple levels before settling on something.

Let me see if I can share what I've learned, because as a fellow newbie to MMOs I'm perhaps half a step ahead of you, at most. I too need lots of help.

"DPS" is one such: it stands for "damage per second", which makes perfect sense, but people also use it to mean a person who deals (a high amount of) damage per second". In other words, a damage dealer (DD). "My DD is great at DPS" makes a lot more sense to MMO newbs than anything involving "my DPS..." meaning "my damage dealer" does.

"Mob" is perhaps the worst word of all. It originally meant "mobile", like those things that hang above cribs to abuse babies., which is already a very specialized and rarely-used meaning of the word "mobile".

Baby_musical_mobile_Crib_musical_mobile.jpg

A developer used it to refer to an NPC that moved like that, and then shortened it to "mob", and over time it began to refer to enemies and not NPCs in general, and of course these enemies move nothing like those baby toys.

This is utterly confusing to anyone in the "real" world, where "mob" means a horde or group of monsters (or people), typically violent -- and video games do not lack for such things.

How do people say that word? Does it have a long O, as in "mobile"? If so, I could understand it a little more, because it would then at least be pronounced differently from the "mob" that means "horde".

suzu

1) Is there a guide to all the acronyms here? Like DPS and DD and stuff?
2) Are there any tips on how to play each class so people don't moan at us? I haven't been complained at so I might be doing it right, but it'd be nice if there was a guide for how to know what to prioritise with each class.

1 - http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary_of_Terms_and_Slang

2 - If you're playing a DPS class: try to always focus/kill what the tank is targeting (unless it's certain fights where you need to kill the extra enemies that are spawning). Read your abilities' tooltips and try to maximize damage. Don't rush ahead and pull enemies on your own. Stay out of area attacks. Eat food for buffs. Help out the healer if they are getting beat up and the tank isn't paying attention. Can't really think of anything else. You'll get the hang of it.

Parakeetman

Hey, guys. Quick question. I bought the first version of the game through the S-E store (digital download) a bit before they closed it down. Do I have to buy it again? It's not on my S-E account or anything...

Shouldnt you be asking SE that for a straight answer? Since its not like we have access to SEs databases to run a check on your account / inventory status for you.

Ken

Btw if you do the leve quest stuff for crafting, be sure to turn in only HQ items of the requests as you will get pretty much a 200% payout on EXP. Big plus since means less time sitting on your hands grinding away making 10000000000 ingots like me. :D

How do you get HQ items? For the level 1-5 stuff I just bought them from the person next to the guild instructor.

Lain

Hopefully after the maint I'll be able to hit 30 on Conjurer (logged off with only half level to go). Then it'll be time to get the White-Mage job, as I preemptively went and brought Arcanist from 6 to 15.

I wish the game made it easier to invite people into parties - a nice right click on their names in the chat window, like WoW does (which also works to ignore/report them) for example.
I also don't completely understand why putting the party management into a separate window. I really hope the mods will have the ability to customize the UI in such a way to reduce the number of windows/clicks needed to do certain things.

kiryogi

Banned
Hey Kiryogi, any tips for a future craft whore (myself)?

Level both Miner and Botanist, especially now that it's a lot more harder to level craft. Plus they both really go hand and hand in terms of supplying one another. High level recipes require ingredients from all over the place, and the ability/access to these materials in HQ form is key to becoming successful.

Shouldnt you be asking SE that for a straight answer? Since its not like we have access to SEs databases to run a check on your account / inventory status for you.

Did I ask you to do that? I'm just asking if it's possible because I'm finding mixed answers and I thought someone would know here for sure.

Parakeetman

How do you get HQ items? For the level 1-5 stuff I just bought them from the person next to the guild instructor.

Gotta craft them yourself. Get the quality level to 100% anything under that is rolling the dice. Even 98%s can turn into normal grade.

Its why I literally craft everything myself, including harvesting ingredients. Cept for fishing at the moment as its a bit too random, therefore what I consider inefficient with getting the exact components I need.

Did I ask you to do that? I'm just asking if it's possible because I'm finding mixed answers and I thought someone would know here for sure.

Unless someone here works at SQEX you are not going to get all that useful of an answer Id imagine.

Have you done the obvious and contacted support with your problem? Unless you dont want answers like mine from the start, perhaps you should mention that in your original post.

As seriously not quite much we can do to help you otherwise when it comes to a situation like what you are having.

HBroward

You say you bought it, did you ever actually register it after that? If so are you sure you are logging into the same account it was registered on?

Not doing any crafting till I get my dragoon to 50.

I was going to level cooking with my fishing but all the items and gear I had to carry around along with bard was a pain in the ass once fishing and bard started to hit the 20's and 30's. Now the plan is to just stockpile a ton of fish as I level bard and fishing and I could not have been happier with that decision. No more need to carry around a ton of crafting items in my bag or keeping different sets of crafting/gathering gear. Anything I ain't using goes in retainer 2, retainer 1 takes all the fish and maybe sells a few for a bit of change. So while it still sucks to have to wait 40 minutes to find a party, at least I'm slowly getting to 30 on fishing.
After I bought mine, I was given an e-mail that had a .PDF file in it. I suggest downloading it and following the steps inside as it should have the sites you need to go to as well as the codes you need to put in. After that, I was also given a confirmation e-mail with a code for my free month of game time that I put into the mogstation.

Zolf

so I don't have the best internet connection interms of speed, but it's pretty stable for where I live. Anyway, I've tried downloading the patch twice now and just when I almost get to 3gb, I encounter an error that forces me to restart the launcher and the entire patch process.

This game can go fuck itself! I'm so MED RIGHT

NOW
LLShC.gif

I had a similar issue in early access, try running the game in administrator mode next time. It seemed to work for me although it may have been a fluke.

kiryogi

Banned

Buy or find them in HQ form. Or if you happen to have the skillset from leveling multiple crafts, you can make NQ stuff into HQ with a higher probability of chance.

Ken

Gotta craft them yourself. Get the quality level to 100% anything under that is rolling the dice. Even 98%s can turn into normal grade.

Its why I literally craft everything myself, including harvesting ingredients. Cept for fishing at the moment.

How do you craft stuff like um ...what you use to make bronze ingot for the very first goldsmith thing?

Couple of questions:

How's scholar healing vs. white mage healing? I'm playing an arcanist right now and am thinking about going scholar maybe... but is it possible to switch between scholar and summoner or is the choice permanent?

What is this chocobo business about them being able to fight? I just got the first standard grand company chocobo mount... but if he can be a badass and fight too...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Level both Miner and Botanist, especially now that it's a lot more harder to level craft. Plus they both really go hand and hand in terms of supplying one another. High level recipes require ingredients from all over the place, and the ability/access to these materials in HQ form is key to becoming successful.

I had planned on doing that. My plan was to get each craft to 15 first, then level up the gathers up to 50 then approach the crafts again. That an okay plan? Should I use a mix of straight gathering and leves to get the gatherers up? I'm never sure how to spend my leves. T-T

Parakeetman

How do you craft stuff like um ...what you use to make bronze ingot for the very first goldsmith thing?

All that information should be available to you from your crafting journal. Its copper ingot first which uses copper ore.

Bronze ingots are higher level stuff. Uses copper + zinc.

Reknoc

Couple of questions:

How's scholar healing vs. white mage healing? I'm playing an arcanist right now and am thinking about going scholar maybe... but is it possible to switch between scholar and summoner or are they permanent?

What is this chocobo business about them being able to fight? I just got the first standard grand company chocobo mount... but if he can be a badass and fight too...

When you reach level 30 there's a quest in the South Shroud that lets you use gyashl greens to summon your chocobo to fight with you.

kiryogi

Banned
I had planned on doing that. My plan was to get each craft to 15 first, then level up the gathers up to 50 then approach the crafts again. That an okay plan? Should I use a mix of straight gathering and leves to get the gatherers up? I'm never sure how to spend my leves. T-T

Yeah, getting your gatherer's to 50 first would be most essentially, as then you'll be self reliant. Plus, you can make a bit of coin selling high end material that could help you supply further for your crafts. But yeah leves and normal gathering is perfect, no change in how that works here.

WolvenOne

Actually I think its easier to level the crafting now / supplement the gil bleeding since everyone is low level currently and you can make $$$ on the mats and selling other things fellow crafters need. Once the game goes on further I can imagine the economy will be totally broken making it harder to make cash. Its why I hate how low they made NPC prices when you sell stuff to them. Really dont like games that rely on making money by having to rely on other humans / player based economy unless its something overly complex like EVE where it keeps the idiots out, therefore markets stay at a level which doesnt make you do the "Jackie Chan" when you see the prices of things being sold.

Even now there are idiots who put stuff up for sale same price as the vendors.

Every single bloody MMO Ive played Ive been a "merchant" so to speak and always dread dealing with player run markets due to this sort of mass idiocy. Would be far better if they had idiot checks added into the game itself to prevent morons from mucking up the market.

Well, so far I'm really not running low on Gil. I'm not buying most of my armor or weapons, so most the time my gil rewards just accrue, until I see something I've gotta have on the market boards.

That said, your right that you don't want to wait TOO long. If you're going to be at 50 in a few days, it doest make sense to start crafting now. If you aren't though, go ahead and start the moment you have a good gil reserve.

desverger

"Mob" is perhaps the worst word of all. It originally meant "mobile", like those things that hang above cribs to abuse babies., which is already a very specialized and rarely-used meaning of the word "mobile".

A developer used it to refer to an NPC that moved like that, and then shortened it to "mob", and over time it began to refer to enemies and not NPCs in general, and of course these enemies move nothing like those baby toys.

This is utterly confusing to anyone in the "real" world, where "mob" means a horde or group of monsters (or people), typically violent -- and video games do not lack for such things.

How do people say that word? Does it have a long O, as in "mobile"? If so, I could understand it a little more, because it would then at least be pronounced differently from the "mob" that means "horde".

MOB comes from Moving OBject :>

Parakeetman

Well, so far I'm really not running low on Gil. I'm not buying most of my armor or weapons, so most the time my gil rewards just accrue, until I see something I've gotta have on the market boards.

That said, your right that you don't want to wait TOO long. If you're going to be at 50 in a few days, it doest make sense to start crafting now. If you aren't though, go ahead and start the moment you have a good gil reserve.

Im pretty well set for the moment. Have found a bit of a niche making various HQ items and tossing it up for sale.

Though am just focusing on bringing up most of the trade skills at the same time, which is slowing down progress of questing in general. Which I should focus more on. But the crafting bit goes with that due to am always outfitting myself with HQ gear for my level. Thats why I have to stop and grind crafting so much.

Thankfully due to my "Gobot" armor the heavy iron stuff thats all HQ including the gloves / belt am pretty well set for a while just due to how much DEF the set gives when its HQ for my marauder. So might press on to 30 to get the warrior job unlocked. Then switch to moving my gladiator up to getting the paladin.

Unless someone here works at SQEX you are not going to get all that useful of an answer Id imagine.

Have you done the obvious and contacted support with your problem? Unless you dont want answers like mine from the start, perhaps you should mention that in your original post.

As seriously not quite much we can do to help you otherwise when it comes to a situation like what you are having.

You say you bought it, did you ever actually register it after that? If so are you sure you are logging into the same account it was registered on?

Guess I wasn't clear enough, sorry. The game is registered and appears in my Account Management (where you set up payment options and stuff)/Mog Station but since that website was for registering/payment I checked the S-E Store for a download link or something for the new client and didn't find anything. My question is (and was): should I be seeing a download link if it's possible for me to download the new client?

kiryogi

Banned
Im pretty well set for the moment. Have found a bit of a niche making various HQ items and tossing it up for sale.

Though am just focusing on bringing up most of the trade skills at the same time, which is slowing down progress of questing in general. Which I should focus more on. But the crafting bit goes with that due to am always outfitting myself with HQ gear for my level. Thats why I have to stop and grind crafting so much.

Thankfully due to my "Gobot" armor the heavy iron stuff thats all HQ including the gloves / belt am pretty well set for a while just due to how much DEF the set gives when its HQ for my marauder. So might press on to 30 to get the warrior job unlocked. Then switch to moving my gladiator up to getting the paladin.

You really only should be bothering with HQ gear @ endgame. Waste of time and resources early on otherwise.

My god. Do you even take damage anymore?

Parakeetman

You really only should be bothering with HQ gear @ endgame. Waste of time and resources early on otherwise.

Yeah trust me I really dont want to wear anything thats non HQ even now at 26 seeing how much damage am taking.

So am always working on getting everything up to that. Esp since Im tanking and me staying alive = party staying alive as a responsibility. Not having good gear I might as well just not play a tank is how I see it. Am not looking forward to the higher level sets as already components are becoming more and more of a PITA to get. Let alone have HQ versions of.

I need to look up info on bomb ash as need that for steel next. Apparently since its in the alchemy section of the market means will need to up alchemy more am guessing?

My god. Do you even take damage anymore?

In the dungeons yes a lot actually, which has me worried wtf happens if Im not wearing HQ stuff... not to mention literally every single status point bonus Ive had I tossed into VIT too. And this is with parties that know what they are doing too. But for the world events and stuff generally I do pretty well and it does make a visible difference. Its just too bad that the animations look weird for fighting / idle combat stance with the armor on. Would have been cool if the helmets face guard was raisable to see your characters face during cutscenes. Since now I look like some sort of "mid boss" NPC instead of a player character lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom