• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekofrog

Banned
Honestly, apart from:

- Nice graphics
- Dynamic events (FATEs)
- Class system
- Longer GCD
- Good story (this point is debatable)

it's a straight-up WoW clone. As much as I enjoy the game, it honestly does nothing innovative for the genre as a whole.

I'm warming up to it slowly (VERY slowly), but to me it feels like a regression from where MMOs are right now.

What's Everquest Next doing that's considered a gamechanger for the MMO genre? I know that FFXIV:ARR isn't doing anything different than what's already out there, but it's fun (when you can get into a server) and that's all that matters.

Robin64

It's a very solid feeling MMO in a Final Fantasy world. It doesn't change things, but everything it does is fairly nice. For what it's worth, I haven't wanted to play an MMO this solidly since WoW's launch.

Tash

What's that on the left? All the job icons?

It's gear sets. In your character window (C) there is a button called Gear sets where you can store your equipped gear including weapon for different classes (for adventuring, crafting or gathering as well).

What's Everquest Next doing that's considered a gamechanger for the MMO genre? I know that FFXIV:ARR isn't doing anything different than what's already out there, but it's fun (when you can get into a server) and that's all that matters.

They claim real impact on the world both for your char and in terms of terra forming (your spells and action can actually change the environment). Real dynamic quests and events (but we heard that before)..Supposedly NPCs will actually remember actions and choices and thus react differently do everyone. Your actions also reflect in what classes you can unlock and the world is supposed to change accordingly if dynamic events are completed a certain way. So servers might have different story-lines and cities because of player actions. The game has also vertical landscape. You can fall through the world due to your own actions and the terrain underneath is procedurally generated, resulting in a different experience every time.

The class system sounds very similar to FFXIV but with less actions from what I understand.

Generally Next is marketed more as a sandbox game (you have more impact and feel more unique as a character or in other worlds Minecraft meets MMO with consequences) where FFXIV is a pretty generic (yet well done and polished) themepark game.
Not convinced Next will deliver but they certainly showed a lot of promise.
On the other hand they also don't have leveling (but tiers) and no proper defined trinity roles a bit like GW2 (even though they claim it's not so)..
After playing MMOs without the trinity I actually love playing FF with proper defined roles again.

TheContact

The biggest would probably be the dynamic world and quests and the world builder tool

I think FFXIV is very different from WoW, can't even call it a WoW clone but it does use some of their ideas (like the dungeon finder)

desu

Stupid question but how do you scale down your bars?

Go to Ui Editor, select the element and try Control+Home/End I think. 80%/100%/120% are the options.

What's that on the left? All the job icons?

Those are my gear sets (for every class/job). You can just drag them from the gear set window onto a bar. If you play a lot of classes it gets really tedious to switch over the gear set window all the time.

edit: double too slow

So aside from all the thinks that make it different from wow it's just like wow.

Right now most MMOs are trying to go for something different like action combat, or some type of gimmick. That's great, I really enjoyed games like Tera and GW2 because they brought a nice change of pace.

However, FFXIV is a conventional MMO. It follows the same old forumula, however it does the traditional MMO better than anyone ever has in my opinion and I've played a ton of MMOs.

To sum it up; it's nothing new but it does what it does the best.

gribbles

Banned

You mean apart from everything listed on this page?

Look, I don't wanna turn this into a FF14 vs EQN debate, I was only mentioning how I dont think FF14 is innovative in any way. I never said that the game wasn't fun.

dramatis

For those of you who have progressed past the around level 35 story at Drybone/Church, I have a problem:
What do you do after the cutscene that reveals 'Marques' as Cid Garlond? There's no new story quest marker for me and I tried going to Gridania, but nothing happened. I also wandered into Coerthas (sp?) and saw no story quest markers there.

Not sure if this is a bug or if I'm missing something here, so help would be much appreciated.

Mokujin

Honestly, apart from:

- Nice graphics
- Dynamic events (FATEs)
- Class system
- Longer GCD

it's a straight-up WoW clone. As much as I enjoy the game, it honestly does nothing innovative for the genre as a whole.

Thing is for me at least that makes a whole different experience than wow, I cant stand WoW graphic style and being able to play all jobs on one character makes me feel the value is much higher than only raising one job in each character, quality FF narrative its also a plus, so its a win win for me.

fizzgigg

Banned
Honestly, apart from:

- Nice graphics
- Dynamic events (FATEs)
- Class system
- Longer GCD

I dont think its like WoW besides does WoW have to be the only MMO? Cant their be options ?

Uthred

Got up and spent over an hour cleaning a sewer, now trying to login to FFXIV. Cleaning the sewer was more fun and less annoying.

Muku

Question regarding the chat log... I've not found a way to adjust it but hoping maybe I'm just stupid. I need to be able to make the background on the log darker. I have a hard time reading with default backgrounds in these games. With WoW, I just adjust the slider and wham-o I'm done. This? Is there a way to even adjust it, or do I have to pray that one day it'll get added?

WarMacheen

worldfull_zpscd5028f3.jpg

ibwC2FB9hYm24t.gif

Getting real tired of your shit SE

edgefusion

Noooooo! I've just finished installing/updating the game but it won't let me join Ultros! Wtf! I want to play with GAF :(

I was really looking forward to playing but I don't wanna play on a different server to GAF. When are these restrictions gonna be lifted?

Forkball

World's full. Can't fit anyone else in the world. LITERALLY NOT ONE MAN CAN COME INTO THE WORLD.

Also everyone needs to go to work.

EDarkness

Does anyone know where I can go to enter my product key? I got it from Amazon and I'm on the SE account page, but I can't see anything about where to input. Unless it's in the "gift" section? Anyone have any idea?

Forkball

Does anyone know where I can go to enter my product key? I got it from Amazon and I'm on the SE account page, but I can't see anything about where to input. Unless it's in the "gift" section? Anyone have any idea?

Start up the game client and it will ask you to put it in.

Noooooo! I've just finished installing/updating the game but it won't let me join Ultros! Wtf! I want to play with GAF :(

I was really looking forward to playing but I don't wanna play on a different server to GAF. When are these restrictions gonna be lifted?

Probably next week when they get the extra data centers up and running (hopefully).

apricot

I received my collector PS3 version this morning. It's a nice box, I didn't expect it to be that big. What does "The Waning of the Sixth Sun " DVD exactly contains? Can I watch it right now or is it spoilerish?

Someone who knows more should chime in, but from what I understand it covers the story thus far, so it shouldn't be spoilery

Still waiting for mine to come in the mail

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
World's full. Can't fit anyone else in the world. LITERALLY NOT ONE MAN CAN COME INTO THE WORLD.

Also everyone needs to go to work.

Not gonna help, lotta people like me are logging on prior to work so that we can play in the evening. Seeing a queue at 7 am makes me realize I made the right choice of camping my character all day.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
You mean apart from everything listed on this page?

Look, I don't wanna turn this into a FF14 vs EQN debate, I was only mentioning how I dont think FF14 is innovative in any way. I never said that the game wasn't fun.

Promises are empty, when we're talking MMOs.
And sadly, grand ideas that sound fun very often aren't. ( CCP Games is the grandmaster at this.)
GW2 basically promised the same, and delivered:
- Unlimited level synching
- Dynamic Events
- Diablo 3's ability system
crippled with:
- No endgame
- Crappy balance
- Purposeless PVP (Who thought having WvWvW running all day, every day, would make for a 'epic' experience?)

So far, XIV has nothing particularly outstanding, but no big pitfalls either - it's all known, tested, solid design.

okay, the 3.5gb patch just keeps repeatedly taking a shit and starting over. Is there any other way I can download the patch without using Squares shitty, backwards, assfuck launcher? Like maybe a torrent. Already tried googling, but I couldn't find anything. :(

daveo42

Banned
Not gonna help, lotta people like me are logging on prior to work so that we can play in the evening. Seeing a queue at 7 am makes me realize I made the right choice of camping my character all day.

Didn't have much of an issue last night getting on Ultros and ended up hitting level 44. I'll have to spend the next few nights running through the story to catch up.

orion434

Is the Duty finder borken? I tried to complete the "It's Probably Pirates" Quest and it requires me to form a party at the Duty Finder and I sat there for 45 minutes and it never progressed beyond just me? Am I supposed to go around and form a party before I go there?

I am on Ultros, can anyone from GAF help me? I would like to join the Gaf Free Company as well, I registered myself on the GAF members doc on the first page. I really need to hire a reatiner and this "It's Probably Pirates" quest is holding me back :(

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Didn't have much of an issue last night getting on Ultros and ended up hitting level 44. I'll have to spend the next few nights running through the story to catch up.

I spent about 2.5 hours last night trying to log onto Ultros before calling it quits. Figured logging in in the morning would be the only way to guarantee I'd get to play. I was pretty surprised to see a queue at 7 am.

Is the Duty finder borken? I tried to complete the "It's Probably Pirates" Quest and it requires me to form a party at the Duty Finder and I sat there for 45 minutes and it never progressed beyond just me? Am I supposed to go around and form a party before I go there?

I am on Ultros, can anyone from GAF help me? I would like to join the Gaf Free Company as well, I registered myself on the GAF members doc on the first page. I really need to hire a reatiner and this "It's Probably Pirates" quest is holding me back :(

What's your class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom