• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

hopefully they at least give everyone a week back.

but from what people say here... it shouldn't be too hard to reach level cap in like a week ro so lol.

Yeah, I work 60 hours a week and 6 days a week, I don't have the kind of progress other people have but I should be 50 within a week, two at worst. I'll most likely be using all my leve allowances on Saturday because my play time is so lopsided, that's the only full day I can dedicate to it..

Muddimar

I don't know if this is a problem yet, but I had originally pre-ordered the Final Fantasy XIV: ARR CE and it didn't come with pre-order code... so a few days before the Early Access I went back to Gamestop and they gave me the EA code, I entered it, and played this past weekend. When I went to pick-up the FFXIV:ARR CE yesterday the clerk told me it was the regulat edition, but they had 1 CE for sale. What really happened is that the Gamestop guy cancelled my old pre-order and then gave me the regular edition pre-order so I could get the EA code.

So on my Square-Enix account I have both the Regular edition & CE Edition registered, I received all 6 items ( 2 EA + 4 CE ) and I can play with no problem, is there anything I should be wary of? Also how do you purchase a subscription? Can I do this through the PSN Store? I have not been prompted to buy a subscription yet?

I have this same issue with the Windows edition of the game... unfortunately my character is registered to the standard edition of the game, NOT the collector's edition. I've submitted a ticket to request help switching my character over to the collector's edition; no response yet. :/

Gritesh

Well I got in and made my character on Ultros, first thing this morning.

Should I stay logged in all day so I can avoid any issues after work?

The easiest solution is to implement an afk time-out. You know, like what every other online game in existence does. I mean, I logged on yesterday morning to do some things and saw a cat person standing by the guildleve guy - 9 hours later I log back on and he is still there. There really is no excuse for this and I don't understand why they're not mentioning anything about it.

Berordn

With the way the servers are acting currently you'd get kicked off for entirely unrelated reasons anyway.

Save the planet :(

Ethically, that would be wrong. You're screwing over people who are ready to play when you aren't.

Logically, its a good idea since servers are so fucked at the moment that it's the easiest solution to gaurantee playtime later.

Your choice.

twelver

Could you say, undertake a quest as your main class (something that gives a lot of exp in a high level zone), and upon turning in the reward switch to a level one class and still get the same exp? It'd be kind of like power questing..

Gritesh

I knew that would draw some attention, I didn't even get to finish my character creation last night since all the NA servers were locked, I really don't want to have that happen again tonight :(

Could you say, undertake a quest as your main class (something that gives a lot of exp in a high level zone), and upon turning in the reward switch to a level one class and still get the same exp? It'd be kind of like power questing..

No, if you're outside the level the quest can't be turned in.

Quests lock you out from collecting rewards if you are under the level req.

Edit: beaten

The PS3 version of this game is bizarre. It is literally the PC version dumped on to the PS3 right down to having a mouse cursor, hot keys for a keyboard, and just an all around confusing UI that a lot of console only players are going to find overwhelming. Including me, though I am getting used to it.

My other big complaint is - why are there no waypoint markers in this game? Like, you choose a quest and it shows up on the map as a waypoint? Or is that considered a no-no for MMO's? It is such a pain in the ass to find anything on the shitty map system. Even if you go to your journal, find the current quest, and see where on the map it's supposed to be. Even then it's confusing as fuck because you can barely see the icon.

Such a sloppy port. No wonder this was only 40 bucks.

Is anybody in this thread playing on Malboro Server or am I the only one? Just wondering if anyone has put together a link shell for it or not.

The easiest solution is to implement an afk time-out. You know, like what every other online game in existence does. I mean, I logged on yesterday morning to do some things and saw a cat person standing by the guildleve guy - 9 hours later I log back on and he is still there. There really is no excuse for this and I don't understand why they're not mentioning anything about it.

I think AFK timers are lame and should be an option only, except when there are server problems like this.

If they're going to restrict logins at all then they need to flush AFKs regularly. Wonder if they can implement it in a way that if the server population reaches a certain threshold, AFKs start getting booted.

Yeah, I work 60 hours a week and 6 days a week, I don't have the kind of progress other people have but I should be 50 within a week, two at worst. I'll most likely be using all my leve allowances on Saturday because my play time is so lopsided, that's the only full day I can dedicate to it..

which are leve again? Are those the, hunt x monster in this time period and you can adjust their level?

haven't really bothered with those... been mostly just doing the quests around the zones of my level and getting decent level. hmmm...

After running the first dungeon last night, is aggro an issue for gladiators or was my tank just bad? I was playing an archer and I always stripped it off the tank at about 60% health while healer had to tank adds.

Aeana

The PS3 version of this game is bizarre. It is literally the PC version dumped on to the PS3 right down to having a mouse cursor, hot keys for a keyboard, and just an all around confusing UI that a lot of console only players are going to find overwhelming. Including me, though I am getting used to it.

My other big complaint is - why are there no waypoint markers in this game? Like, you choose a quest and it shows up on the map as a waypoint? Or is that considered a no-no for MMO's? It is such a pain in the ass to find anything on the shitty map system. Even if you go to your journal, find the current quest, and see where on the map it's supposed to be. Even then it's confusing as fuck because you can barely see the icon.

Such a sloppy port. No wonder this was only 40 bucks.
Huh? There is a gamepad-specific UI and it works really well.

And there are indeed quest waypoints. It marks your map either with orange circles to show the general area of where you need to be, or with actual markers if it's a specific spot. Can't imagine what else you'd want. You can zoom in on the map with L1+right stick while it's active.

orion434

I have this same issue with the Windows edition of the game... unfortunately my character is registered to the standard edition of the game, NOT the collector's edition. I've submitted a ticket to request help switching my character over to the collector's edition; no response yet. :/

How can you tell what edition your character is registered to? I got the CE items on my character, is that how you can verify?

Razma1

After running the first dungeon last night, is aggro an issue for gladiators or was my tank just bad? I was playing an archer and I always stripped it off the tank at about 60% health while healer had to tank adds.

I wouldn't put much stock in anything in the first 3 dungeons. Seems to hit or miss player performance wise. They are tuned pretty easy so just about anyone can tank the damage.

Huh? There is a gamepad-specific UI and it works really well.

And there are indeed quest waypoints. It marks your map either with orange circles to show the general area of where you need to be, or with actual markers if it's a specific spot. Can't imagine what else you'd want. You can zoom in on the map with L1+right stick while it's active.
If there's a gamepad specific UI, I haven't found it. This is literally one of the most confusing UI's I've ever used. Keep in mind, I'm not a PC gamer, and I haven't played an MMO since the PS2 version of FF XI which I thought had a decent UI. It certainly wasn't this confusing.

As far as the waypoints, they don't show up for me, or if they do, I can barely see them. They certainly don't show up on the circular map that's always on. edit: Maybe I need to adjust the gamma or something.

daveo42

Banned
hopefully they at least give everyone a week back.

but from what people say here... it shouldn't be too hard to reach level cap in like a week ro so lol.

Game starts at 50, or so they say.

It's really easy to hit 50 with your main class, but you still have crafts and gathering to level up, materia to create and affix to your gear, hight level dungeons and fates to run (Behemoth, for example), and hard mode primals and the upcoming Crystal Tower that should be interesting with its 24-man raid.

An extra week would be good, but I'm not overly worried about it right now. I still have like 14 days left from 1.0 status and an additional 30 from my new copy. SE may try to avoid it as much as possible so they can start making money off of subs asap.

Robin64

The PS3 version of this game is bizarre.

Couldn't disagree more. The UI is wonderfully done with controller buttons displayed at the bottom and the XMB style menu system for Everything Else.

I have both PC and PS3 versions and I've been playing on the PS3 far more. The real 360 degree movement on a pad feels really good, too.

Edit: Does your UI look like this?

9466finalfantasy_xiv_arr_ps3_pub_ss_ui_01.png

JudgeN

Its to easy to avoid that's why its not implemented, the game has an auto run button so everyone would just auto run into the wall and how would the game know? SE just needs to get this server shit sorted out and fast, at least do us the favor and tell us how they plan on fixing it.

About the UI can PS3 users connect a keyboard and mouse and play with PC UI? If I remember correctly you could with FFXI on PS2 so its odd if they taken out that feature in FFXIV.

Dunan

Quests have their own minimum levels that you have to be at when completing them, so in general you can't do this.

In fact, you can accept and complete a quest in your starting class and not be able to get your reward because your level is too low. I started developing a Marauder and took a quest outside the La Noscea gates which involved inspecting some spots and then defeating the level-7 monsters that appeared. I managed to defet those monsters at level 3, not least because a fellow adventurer was nearby and healed me when I was in danger, and when I went to get the reward, the icon was red rather than green: not because I had help, but because I had to be level 4, minimum.

Got another 15 EXP and all was well.

There are bad tanks, but dps and healers also need to have a degree of restraint. Without more details about how all of you were playing, it's hard to say.

Game starts at 50, or so they say.

It's really easy to hit 50 with your main class, but you still have crafts and gathering to level up, materia to create and affix to your gear, hight level dungeons and fates to run (Behemoth, for example), and hard mode primals and the upcoming Crystal Tower that should be interesting with its 24-man raid.

An extra week would be good, but I'm not overly worried about it right now. I still have like 14 days left from 1.0 status and an additional 30 from my new copy. SE may try to avoid it as much as possible so they can start making money off of subs asap.

well hopefully they get their shit together soon. Shitty launches have never really pushed people to sub to mmos lol.

And for some reason this is probably the first monthly mmo i've dabbled in, which you DON'T have to put in a credit card # to play o_O

Sophia

If there's a gamepad specific UI, I haven't found it. This is literally one of the most confusing UI's I've ever used. Keep in mind, I'm not a PC gamer, and I haven't played an MMO since the PS2 version of FF XI which I thought had a decent UI. It certainly wasn't this confusing.

As far as the waypoints, they don't show up for me, or if they do, I can barely see them. They certainly don't show up on the circular map that's always on.

It's really not all that confusing. Your UI should look like this. Each icon corresponds to a button on your controller. So in that image if you want to use one of the two primary attacks, you'd hold/press R2 and hit Cross or Circle respectively.

It was so intuitive by the time they got to Phase 3 of beta I used it for most of the beta. Even healed with it no problem.

I have both PC and PS3 versions and I've been playing on the PS3 far more. The real 360 degree movement on a pad feels really good, too.

You can toggle 360 degree movement in the options on the PC version, be you using a keyboard or a gamepad.

omlet

PC CE edition of ARR finally arrived, and I'm pretty fucking pissed. Everything was surprisingly intact and undamaged for being Digital River, but I hadn't realized that I couldn't attached the PC CE to my existing 1.0 Legacy account. I have no intention of playing the PS3 version but wanted the physical extras, so I purchased the PC CE, operating under the assumption that I could use it to upgrade my existing account, just like how EVERY OTHER GAME IN EXISTENCE OPERATES, INCLUDING FF11. In retrospect, I should've known better than to expect something more than completely arbitrary horseshit from Square-Enix.

I sent a support ticket, I seriously hope they fix this problem quickly.

Isn't the CE upgrade its own code that comes with the PC CE game that you apply to get the CE bonuses?

Anteater

Are you sure you have the controller UI active? You could switch between the two in options but the default should be a controller cross bar with the typical console menus. Unless you have a mouse and keyboard plugged in, it should be default, there are 2 different UIs/hotbars available and you could actually mix them up.

TimeKillr

So apparently I bought a key and didn't need it (I was given a guest pass from the first release and this gave me the game for free apparently).

So does anybody want to buy my key? Apparently they stopped selling them, so if anybody's interested, you can PM me. ;)

Its to easy to avoid that's why its not implemented, the game has an auto run button so everyone would just auto run into the wall and how would the game know? SE just needs to get this server shit sorted out and fast, at least do us the favor and tell us how they plan on fixing it.

About the UI can PS3 users connect a keyboard and mouse and play with PC UI? If I remember correctly you could with FFXI on PS2 so its odd if they taken out that feature in FFXIV.

Auto-Running doesn't work any online game I've played... the afk detection detects keyboard inputs - if there hasn't been any inputs in a certain amount of time then you get the boot. The only way they can truly fix this (other than buying new servers and upping server capacities) is to implement an afk timeout and actually use the queue system. What good is a queue system when nobody ever logs out?

A lot of people on here have shown disdain for afk timeouts but I really don't understand it. Server capacity is always going to be limiting factor... if I have to re-login after 30 mins of me being away then it is a small price to pay to actually be able to play the stupid game I bought.

Are you sure you have the controller UI active? You could switch between the two in options but the default should be a controller cross bar with the typical console menus. Unless you have a mouse and keyboard plugged in, it should be default, there are 2 different UIs/hotbars available and you could actually mix them up.
Wow. It might be because I had a keyboard plugged in? I was using that for inputting text on the setup of the game. I wonder if that will fix it because no - my UI was weird. It certainly wasn't a XMB style thing. I'll have to try that later tonight.

Salaadin

It depends. Do you feel like the tank did too little to hold hate or were you doing too much to strip it?
Both sides need to be considered.

That said, there are bad tanks. Especially right now when theyre sought after, some people might just take it up because its a fast track to getting shit done and they dont really ever care about learning.
If youre stripping hate and the healer is tanking adds, Id say that the tanks skills were lacking.

teiresias

I'm playing a tank but haven't partied, and it's the first time I've ever played a tank (played mainly a magic user WHM/RDM in FFXI) so I don't have much experience to impart, but just going by what people have said in the thread thus far it seems harder than most people are used to keep enmity control going properly.

well hopefully they get their shit together soon. Shitty launches have never really pushed people to sub to mmos lol.

And for some reason this is probably the first monthly mmo i've dabbled in, which you DON'T have to put in a credit card # to play o_O

The reason you haven't needed to put in a credit card yet is because everyone got a free month. In late september you'll need to put something in I'm sure.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hey GAF, just bought the PS3 game.

So Ultros is the server that most of you are playing on? Seems that guild is overloaded and what steps are needed to join up? The OP didn't go into details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom