• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two potentially dumb questions: 1. is there any chance they will allow free server transfers in a few weeks so those of us that are stuck can move to Ultros for instance and play with GAF?

2. Can you all BRIEFLY explain how the beginning job system works. If I am one of those people that compulsively rerolls in MMOs because he can't decide what to play, will I easily be able to switch weapons/jobs and test out the various flavors in FF14 without much penalty? I think the answer is yes, which is part of what appeals to me so much. I am interested in archer, marauder, thaumatargist, etc.

Thanks!

Server transfers will be up in 2-3 weeks, but it's unlikely they will offer free transfer, and double unlikely they will offer free transfer to overpopulated realms.

You can switch jobs anytime, there's zero penalty. You can do everything and play every class with one character. You just have to switch weapons. Also, stats are class specific, so you can't butch your Marauder because you dumped all your points into Intelligence when you where a Thaumaturge.

Vengal

T
2. Can you all BRIEFLY explain how the beginning job system works. If I am one of those people that compulsively rerolls in MMOs because he can't decide what to play, will I easily be able to switch weapons/jobs and test out the various flavors in FF14 without much penalty? I think the answer is yes, which is part of what appeals to me so much. I am interested in archer, marauder, thaumatargist, etc.

Thanks!

As said after level 10 you can join any class' guild and have the option to switch to that class on the fly out of combat. To do this you switch that that class' weapon. Each class has its own experience pool from 1-50 and you only gain experience for that class when its active. For example I'm a level 40 lancer and want to swap to a class I haven't played (archer), I put on a bow out of combat and I drop to level 1 and now am an archer.

Eyothrie

You can tap R1 and the buttons part of the UI will flip over to show all those icons, but mapped to buttons instead. Tap R1 again to go back to your combat UI.

I'm confused. Tapping RB (360 pad) just changes the set in my cross hotbar. It doesn't add those icons at the bottom right. Can you explain this a bit further?

inner-G

Banned
I figured this out last night. Under character settings you can select to add or remove hotbars from your display. Once you have them up, you can go into the UI and make adjustments to size and location of all the UI elements.
I found that, but is there a way to bump up the size of the main dialog font?

I'm playing on a TV at 1080 and I need 'big picture mode' text, lol. I can make it out the way it is but I have to strain pretty hard.

Eyothrie

Tapping RB cycles through your hotbars that aren't empty. By default the 8th hotbar has menu hotkeys.

Right, but I'm talking about the menu icons that are displaying in the bottom right of that pic in addition to the cross hotbar. I was wondering how to make those appear

Right, but I'm talking about the menu icons that are displaying in the bottom right of that pic in addition to the cross hotbar. I was wondering how to make those appear

Oh, I can't check right now but it's in the character settings somewhere, you can choose either the XMB or the bottom right menus.

As said after level 10 you can join any class' guild and have the option to switch to that class on the fly out of combat. To do this you switch that that class' weapon. Each class has its own experience pool from 1-50 and you only gain experience for that class when its active. For example I'm a level 40 lancer and want to swap to a class I haven't played (archer), I put on a bow out of combat and I drop to level 1 and now am an archer.

You can set up an equipment set for the class so you can swap out all of the gear as well. It's better to do it this way than to switch weapons and figure out what to wear.

Also, if you're outside of a safe zone the switch isn't instantaneous - all of your abilities are on cooldown for about a minute.

Go to System -> Character Configuration -> UI Settings and change from "Pause Menu" to "Micro Menu"

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Server transfers will be up in 2-3 weeks, but it's unlikely they will offer free transfer, and double unlikely they will offer free transfer to overpopulated realms.

You can switch jobs anytime, there's zero penalty. You can do everything and play every class with one character. You just have to switch weapons. Also, stats are class specific, so you can't butch your Marauder because you dumped all your points into Intelligence when you where a Thaumaturge.

This is awesome-thanks to you and the other 5 people who kindly answered my question. This is precisely the type of an MMO an OCD weirdo who can never decide on a class would appreciate.

I am going to presume that the drawback is if you are questing in level 15 areas as archer and you out of combat switch to your thaumaturgist, you are going to quickly find the need to go to their starting area and not get nuked, but that seems fair!

Salaadin

This is awesome-thanks to you and the other 5 people who kindly answered my question. This is precisely the type of an MMO an OCD weirdo who can never decide on a class would appreciate.

The game is designed to promote multi-class leveling too. If youre the type to level a lot of jobs, youll be happy here because its actually beneficial to you with how certain skills can be swapped around between classes.

zeitgeist

So, I got the physical PS3 copy on Monday but had an early access code from pre ordering so I have been playing the digital client.
Can I just keep doing this? Do I need to use the disk at all?

Also, does anyone know when we are supposed to sort out payment? I'm mostly interested in the Veteran rewards but I guess paying is also somewhat important...

Eyothrie

Oh, I can't check right now but it's in the character settings somewhere, you can choose either the XMB or the bottom right menus.

That's what I thought. Not sure how or why both the XMB and the bottom right menus are displayed in that picture at the same time. Thought it was either/or

So I pre-ordered the game from SE, but they never sent me a registration code, just the pre-order one, despite ethe game coming out yesterday. My pre-order code is going to expire in 2 days. Shouldn't I have gotten a proper cd key by now?

EDIT: NVM, was in my spam folder.

Muddimar

How can you tell what edition your character is registered to? I got the CE items on my character, is that how you can verify?

I checked my account on the moogle station site. It shows all games registered, in the form of "tabs". One one tab, is the standard edition, with my 1.0 character registered to it. The other tab (tab 2) shows my collector's edition, with no characters available. *shrug*... I've checked every tab, option, etc and cannot get the account switched over. I have a ticket open about the issue, haven't heard back yet. When I do, I'll post an update here.

Dunan

So, I got the physical PS3 copy on Monday but had an early access code from pre ordering so I have been playing the digital client.
Can I just keep doing this? Do I need to use the disk at all?

My PS3 disc won't be here until September 12 (international shipping), so I'm interested in the answer to this question too.

So, how long should I wait before the launch server hubbub settles down? I'm not really interested in struggling to log in for hours this week.

dramatis

My PS3 disc won't be here until September 12 (international shipping), so I'm interested in the answer to this question too.
Early access ends August 30. You can play without the disc until 8/30, after which you will need to register the game and the likes in order to play.

dafuq

SE support line said they would open up at 9am pacific about an hour ago, but I called again at 10am EST and it's open.

Now to stay on hold.. -_-

All because of shitty wording on Mog Station.

Two potentially dumb questions: 1. is there any chance they will allow free server transfers in a few weeks so those of us that are stuck can move to Ultros for instance and play with GAF?

Thanks!

Once you get to around lvl 10 with your first class you can go take on any other Job. Though you have to wait until around lvl 17 to go to the other cities for the Job guilds that aren't in your starting city.

Berordn

So...a stupid newb question...will I be able to improve specific stats or are they all left to chance

Stat gains are pre-determined by class, you control a good portion with it from gear, and you get 30 points to freely allocate per class as well (but they don't make much difference in the long run).

No stats are left to random chance.

Dunan

Early access ends August 30. You can play without the disc until 8/30, after which you will need to register the game and the likes in order to play.

Well, that's disappointing. Unless by "register", you mean that I can put in my credit card details and continue to play with the already-downloaded client. Is that the case?

So...a stupid newb question...will I be able to improve specific stats or are they all left to chance

At level 10 or so you'll start getting points that can be added to specific stats. You allocate then in the Character sub-menu.

dramatis

Well, that's disappointing. Unless by "register", you mean that I can put in my credit card details and continue to play with the already-downloaded client. Is that the case?
I bought the digital version, so when I started up the client everything just rolled on with me hitting the next button, but I think if you bought disc version you have to pop it in at least once and get the 'Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - Official Version' registered to service account or something like that.

Tarazet

You have to go through the motions to talk to the guild receptionist and guildmaster first, but it is just that simple. Plus you have a large, dedicated bag for each gear slot that doesn't have to compete with your bags, plus you can easily save new gear sets and switch to them with the click of a button.

It's easily the most user-friendly and seamless equipment system I've ever seen. The only gripe I have is that if you want to have alternate sets for the same spec, you have to sacrifice one of your other gear-set slots, but it's not like it's permanent. You just have to put that set back together when you want to use it.

Research as you don't need leves to level crafting or gathering.

Once you know how it works it's very fast. I plan to go from 19-21 BSM in 30-45 min if I can get on and this includes having to mine the estimated iron ores.

Yes doing the right leves can make it faster (and profitable), but it is not a must.

Crafting for me has been at this pace most of the time, but it may slow down.

It's hard to do research when there don't seem to be many resources out there. With that said I've figured out the woes of my crafting leveling but I'm not sure how to improve how fast I can go up in gathering. I'm a level 18 botanist at the moment and harvesting from level 20 crops is leveling me up at a snails pace, is there something that I'm missing?

It's hard to do research when there don't seem to be many resources out there. With that said I've figured out the woes of my crafting leveling but I'm not sure how to improve how fast I can go up in gathering. I'm a level 18 botanist at the moment and harvesting from level 20 crops is leveling me up at a snails pace, is there something that I'm missing?

I always found the harvesting leves to give pretty good exp. That was before ARR though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well shit. Ultros is at capacity and I can't create a character on that server.

Damn GAF, usually pretty good about choosing less populated servers for us forumgoers to link up on. So where are all my other refugee GAF peeps playing?

And how many characters am I allowed to create assuming I would just roll a new class once Ultros possibly opens up?

potam

Banned
Two quick questions, since everyone else seems to be asking about classes/leveling:

1. I'm planning on getting my gladiator to 30 (only 2 more levels!) and then leveling up conjuerer to unlock paladin. Is there any downside to not leveling gladiator to 50 first?

2. Do the unlocked jobs start at level 30, or 1?

3. Bonus question I just thought of: How different are jobs and their base classes? I always thought of a paladin as a more advanced gladiator, but are their roles any different? I guess what I'm getting at is, are the base classes equally as desirable as the advanced jobs?

Damn GAF, usually pretty good about choosing less populated servers for us forumgoers to link up on. So where are all my other refugee GAF peeps playing?

I'm on Lamia. I wanted to do Ultros and join everyone, but my friend wanted to do Lamia. And wouldn't you know? He hasn't been online at all yet.

And how many characters am I allowed to create assuming I would just roll a new class once Ultros possibly opens up?

Wherever we can.

Malboro - Anyone and everyone is welcome in the FC I'm in =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom