• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Wow. It might be because I had a keyboard plugged in? I was using that for inputting text on the setup of the game. I wonder if that will fix it because no - my UI was weird. It certainly wasn't a XMB style thing. I'll have to try that later tonight.

I don't know if the retail game does it (haven't gotten my copy yet), but in the beta you got asked to pick which setup you wanted when starting your character. It's probable that you flicked it over to the Keyboard setup by mistake.

Dunan

Its to easy to avoid that's why its not implemented, the game has an auto run button so everyone would just auto run into the wall and how would the game know? SE just needs to get this server shit sorted out and fast, at least do us the favor and tell us how they plan on fixing it.

I'm sure that could be worked around; require an active input rather than an automated input.

Regarding the UI: as a PS3 player it's impossible not to feel that this game was really made for the PC first and foremost.

Remember this old (2012-ish, from Amazon) screenshot? I was expecting the dialog font to be as large and readable as that, and was disappointed when it not only wasn't, but wasn't resize-able either.

ffxiv.arr.03.lg.jpg

The comic-book-lettereresque font doesn't bother me at all; it has that Vagrant Story feel and is perfect for dialogue. I say bring it back.

Robin64

and everytime i see that, i'm losing a bit of interest in the game.

For what it's worth, it's less prevalent on less popular servers. Ultros just happens to be where NeoGAF, 4chan and SA decided to roll. That's a recipe for crowding right there.

Dunan said:
Remember this old (2012-ish, from Amazon) screenshot? I was expecting the dialog font to be as large and readable as that, and was disappointed when it not only wasn't, but wasn't resize-able either.

Having to squint and lean forward to read the dialog is my one major complaint about the PS3 version.

I'm sure that could be worked around; require an active input rather than an automated input.

Regarding the UI: as a PS3 player it's impossible not to feel that this game was really made for the PC first and foremost.

ffxiv.arr.03.lg.jpg

The comic-book-lettereresque font doesn't bother me at all; it has that Vagrant Story feel and is perfect for dialogue. I say bring it back.

it's not better on pc... especially if you have a 1440p+ monitor. Probably why i haven't bothered reading any of the npc text or dialogue.

its weird, you can kinda resize most of the ui, and even the font of chatbox, but not npc dialogue.

daveo42

Banned
well hopefully they get their shit together soon. Shitty launches have never really pushed people to sub to mmos lol.

And for some reason this is probably the first monthly mmo i've dabbled in, which you DON'T have to put in a credit card # to play o_O

Supposedly the fix will come early next week with new servers, but there's no guarantee that it'll resolve all the issues we have with caps and the duty finder.

user1337

The PS3 version of this game is bizarre. It is literally the PC version dumped on to the PS3 right down to having a mouse cursor, hot keys for a keyboard, and just an all around confusing UI that a lot of console only players are going to find overwhelming. Including me, though I am getting used to it.

My other big complaint is - why are there no waypoint markers in this game? Like, you choose a quest and it shows up on the map as a waypoint? Or is that considered a no-no for MMO's? It is such a pain in the ass to find anything on the shitty map system. Even if you go to your journal, find the current quest, and see where on the map it's supposed to be. Even then it's confusing as fuck because you can barely see the icon.

Such a sloppy port. No wonder this was only 40 bucks.

There is waypoints when the objective is in the area you are in. Otherwise, press select a few times to highligh the quest on the right (or just press start and go to journal) and then select the quest and at the bottom is the option to pick "map". That'll tell you where the objective is.

Anteater

It's starting to feel a little grindy at late 30s, especially for the second job, hopefully the Titan fight and the contents past 40 will get better.

Dunan

Having to squint and lean forward to read the dialog is my one major complaint about the PS3 version.

it's not better on pc... especially if you have a 1440p+ monitor. Probably why i haven't bothered reading any of the npc text or dialogue.

its weird, you can kinda resize most of the ui, and even the font of chatbox, but not npc dialogue.

The very least they could do would be to use light-font-on-dark-background for the text rather than dark-on-light. The letters appear bigger that way; just look at the names of NPCs in that white-with-green-border font. Those are much easier to read than the dialogue is.

B-Dex

So I registered my PS3 version. And now it won't let me get past accepting the eula and linking it to my account. It just says the server isn't responding and tells me to go to the support page.....

Salaadin

Im never going to get my UI right. It feels like Im adjusting it every single day.
They need to let us remove the stupid hotbar numbers. Hate having floating 6s and 9s and 10s all over my screen.

daveo42

Banned
I would hope that the duty finder is being hindered in part due to the congestion.

Duty Finder right now should be ok for the most part. It won't kick you because the cap is in place. The main reason for the lock is because the instance servers can't handle the amount of players connecting to them. Since DF and instanced quests need to access that server, so many were connecting that it was causing players to crash and lose access to the server. Adding additional servers to handle that load only should fix the issue and allow the floodgates to be opened.

I just hope they have enough servers to handle it after adding them to the cluster.

Robin64

How do you get the icons on the bottom right ? When I use a gamepad, I get the Ps3 slidding menu...and those icons disappears!

You can tap R1 and the buttons part of the UI will flip over to show all those icons, but mapped to buttons instead. Tap R1 again to go back to your combat UI.

I see a lot of people in-game saying to roll Tank/Healer if you want shorter queues, and while this is certainly true I think SE did some mistakes that made the DD queue way longer that it should be.

For one, the party size and ratio for dungeons. In most MMOs, the dungeon party size is 5, 2 non-DD and 3 DD. This game instead goes with a party of 4 with the same number of non-DD (so 2 DD in the party). The ratio of damage dealer to non-damage dealer is 1:1 in FFXIV instead of 1.5:1, making the Tank/Healer bottleneck 50% bigger.

Second, and this applies to the 3 low-level dungeons, is the lack of healing classes. In low level, there is 2 tanking classes but only 1 healing class (CNJ). Arcanist cannot queue as healer and they don't have enough tools to do so. This creates a CNJ bottleneck in the first 3 dungeons. I'm still low level, but I heard that later on Tanks are the one the most in demands and second healers (instead of vice-versa in low-lvl) because Scholars ar finally available.

Go to Ui Editor, select the element and try Control+Home/End I think. 80%/100%/120% are the options.

Those are my gear sets (for every class/job). You can just drag them from the gear set window onto a bar. If you play a lot of classes it gets really tedious to switch over the gear set window all the time.

edit: double too slow

When you say bar. How do you get a bar vertical and how do you get a new one. I must have to play around w/ the UI more, didn't know you could do that.

I see a lot of people in-game saying to roll Tank/Healer if you want shorter queues, and while this is certainly true I think SE did some mistakes that made the DD queue way longer that it should be.

For one, the party size and ratio for dungeons. In most MMOs, the dungeon party size is 5, 2 non-DD and 3 DD. This game instead goes with a party of 4 with the same number of non-DD (so 2 DD in the party). The ratio of damage dealer to non-damage dealer is 1:1 in FFXIV instead of 1.5:1, making the Tank/Healer bottleneck 50% bigger.

Second, and this applies to the 3 low-level dungeons, is the lack of healing classes. In low level, there is 2 tanking classes but only 1 healing class (CNJ). Arcanist cannot queue as healer and they don't have enough tools to do so. This creates a CNJ bottleneck in the first 3 dungeons. I'm still low level, but I heard that later on Tanks are the one the most in demands and second healers (instead of vice-versa in low-lvl) because Scholars ar finally available.

The best parties I have been in were not found on Duty Finder. Two tanks, or two healers, or three DPS and and an arcanist... these are all viable options that the Duty Finder fundamentally disallows. Plus I like getting a look at someone before being matched up randomly with dudes from a server that I'll never ever see in game again.

daveo42

Banned
When you say bar. How do you get a bar vertical and how do you get a new one. I must have to play around w/ the UI more, didn't know you could do that.

I figured this out last night. Under character settings you can select to add or remove hotbars from your display. Once you have them up, you can go into the UI and make adjustments to size and location of all the UI elements.

I figured this out last night. Under character settings you can select to add or remove hotbars from your display. Once you have them up, you can go into the UI and make adjustments to size and location of all the UI elements.

Awesome, thanks!

If you update a gear set list will it automatically update the icon on the bar or would you have to redo that?

Vengal

It's starting to feel a little grindy at late 30s, especially for the second job, hopefully the Titan fight and the contents past 40 will get better.

The hunting log is a nice burst of experience but once thats gone and you have no quests it can be pretty bad. Certain fates provide great experience but I find running them endlessly to be mind numbing.

daveo42

Banned
The best parties I have been in were not found on Duty Finder. Two tanks, or two healers, or three DPS and and an arcanist... these are all viable options that the Duty Finder fundamentally disallows. Plus I like getting a look at someone before being matched up randomly with dudes from a server that I'll never ever see in game again.

I get the all DPS party with the ACN playing some back up heals, but the double tank double healer sounds like it'd be slow. Did have a blast in phase 3 as a tank and 3 dps, two being THM for off heals when needed.

Anteater

How do you get the icons on the bottom right ? When I use a gamepad, I get the Ps3 slidding menu...and those icons disappears!

Are you talking about the circular option buttons? You can go to Character Configuration > UI Settings > Micro Menu (Mouse) to enable it, it will disable your sliding menu though.

The hunting log is a nice burst of experience but once thats gone and you have no quests it can be pretty bad. Certain fates provide great experience but I find running them endlessly to be mind numbing.

I'm wondering what some of the higher level players did for experience? I agree late 20s early thirties on a battle class are a pretty decent grind. Are we suppose to just run dungeons over and over? Do fate parties actually work

You can also do some guildleves or exp parties (I heard those can be really efficient if you get a good group going with big chains) to mix it up.

Vengal

I'm wondering what some of the higher level players did for experience? I agree late 20s early thirties on a battle class are a pretty decent grind. Are we suppose to just run dungeons over and over? Do fate parties actually work

For my Dragoon (40 at the moment) I still have quests but do every fate I run across, hests, first leve for the bonus things like that. For my sub classes I've been fate farming, and doing leves. Fate farming with a group for a high chains are good for experience.

You can also do some guildleves or exp parties (I heard those can be really efficient if you get a good group going with big chains) to mix it up.

I haven't tried doing leves in large groups but maintaining the chains sound like it could make that better. Been trying to save my leves for subclasses and likely will try large groups when i dip into those.

Find an area and just do all the fates in the zone with a party. Supposed to give out 20k+ exp per fate later on if you get gold.

Another problem I have is the bottom of my TV cuts off a portion of the UI. I don't know if there's anything I need down there, but I also didn't see an option to adjust the screen. It's kind of frustrating.

Robin64

Another problem I have is the bottom of my TV cuts off a portion of the UI. I don't know if there's anything I need down there, but I also didn't see an option to adjust the screen. It's kind of frustrating.

Yeah, silly overscan. You can go to HUD and move things away from the edge a little though. Had to do this myself.

daveo42

Banned

FATEs are about the best for XP after about level 20. You can easily farm over 100k an hour at higher levels with a decent group. Went from 40 to 44 in a few hours last night.

FATEs are about the best for XP after about level 20. You can easily farm over 100k an hour at higher levels with a decent group. Went from 40 to 44 in a few hours last night.

Where did you go @ 40? I have a 40 MRD I'm looking to turn into a WAR and finishing to 50.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
Two potentially dumb questions: 1. is there any chance they will allow free server transfers in a few weeks so those of us that are stuck can move to Ultros for instance and play with GAF?

2. Can you all BRIEFLY explain how the beginning job system works. If I am one of those people that compulsively rerolls in MMOs because he can't decide what to play, will I easily be able to switch weapons/jobs and test out the various flavors in FF14 without much penalty? I think the answer is yes, which is part of what appeals to me so much. I am interested in archer, marauder, thaumatargist, etc.

Thanks!

Salaadin

Two potentially dumb questions: 1. is there any chance they will allow free server transfers in a few weeks so those of us that are stuck can move to Ultros for instance and play with GAF?

2. Can you all BRIEFLY explain how the beginning job system works. If I am one of those people that compulsively rerolls in MMOs because he can't decide what to play, will I easily be able to switch weapons/jobs and test out the various flavors in FF14 without much penalty? I think the answer is yes, which is part of what appeals to me so much. I am interested in archer, marauder, thaumatargist, etc.

Thanks!

1. No idea. Server transfers are coming but they havent talked price.

2. You pick your starting job. From there, you are stuck with that job until you complete its lvl 10 class quests at its guild. Its not difficult and it doesnt take long.
From there, you can travel to any guild and pick up that class without penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom