• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarazet

Two quick questions, since everyone else seems to be asking about classes/leveling:

1. I'm planning on getting my gladiator to 30 (only 2 more levels!) and then leveling up conjuerer to unlock paladin. Is there any downside to not leveling gladiator to 50 first?

2. Do the unlocked jobs start at level 30, or 1?

3. Bonus question I just thought of: How different are jobs and their base classes? I always thought of a paladin as a more advanced gladiator, but are their roles any different? I guess what I'm getting at is, are the base classes equally as desirable as the advanced jobs?

You should unlock PLD as soon as you can, because it will give you access to several key abilities. It won't change the gameplay for you, but it adds another layer. You get a DPS stance at 30, an Intervene-like ability you can use to take damage in place of a melee or another tank at 35, your tanking stance at 40, a silence at 45, and a bubble at 50.

You'll still be level 30, since it's not the job that gets leveled up (Paladin), it's your class (Gladiator).

On the same tack, I believe that if you are an Arcanist, once you reach 50 you will be at 50 for both Summoner and Scholar as long as you've done the quests.

Since I missed work today due to not feeling well I decided to log in and...was able to get in without any problems.

6iJGyqv.gif

chrono01

Is it worth refreshing the server list in the hopes of making a character on Ultros, or are they permanently closed until further notice?

I'm trying to decide whether I should waste my time or not. :(

omlet

Is it worth refreshing the server list in the hopes of making a character on Ultros, or are they permanently closed until further notice?

I'm trying to decide whether I should waste my time or not. :(

Well, if the top headlines on the launcher are anything to go by (crazy concept, I know!), refreshing won't help:

Currently, we have stopped allowing the creation of new characters in the following worlds:

Exodus
Faerie
Lamia
Siren
Midgardsormr
Adamantoise
Coeurl
Malboro
Ultros
Behemoth
Cactuar
Goblin
Sargatanas
Diabolos
Gilgamesh
Leviathan
Balmung
Excalibur
Hyperion
Tonberry
Mandragora
Bahamut
Chocobo

In the event of any changes in the situation, follow-up news posts will be posted here as well.

syoaran

Damn there isn't a single EU server I can join right now....
Are most of EU GAF on Ragnarok or?

A lot of us are in the Ultros FC, as it made more sense for us to pool together in one location than split up over a lot of EU servers. I've been able to party with a lot of GAFers in the evening so far, so I'm happy with it atm.

profit

A lot of us are in the Ultros FC, as it made more sense for us to pool together in one location than split up over a lot of EU servers. I've been able to party with a lot of GAFers in the evening so far, so I'm happy with it atm.

Locked aswell :(.
Guess I'll just play a bit on another server untill it opens up again.

chrono01

Well, if the top headline on the launcher is anything to go by (crazy, I know!), refreshing won't help:

Currently, we have stopped allowing the creation of new characters in the following worlds:

Exodus
Faerie
Lamia
Siren
Midgardsormr
Adamantoise
Coeurl
Malboro
Ultros
Behemoth
Cactuar
Goblin
Sargatanas
Diabolos
Gilgamesh
Leviathan
Balmung
Excalibur
Hyperion
Tonberry
Mandragora
Bahamut
Chocobo

In the event of any changes in the situation, follow-up news posts will be posted here as well.
Well that's just great. I guess I won't be creating my character until they open creation again. I'm really not in that big of a hurry to play and I'm not interested in paying a fee to transfer my character back to Ultros once they allow it. If I can't create my character on the realm of my choosing, what's the point? I find it hilarious how it basically warns you to choose your server carefully and pick one that your friends play on, despite the fact that a large majority of them are locked out.

Thanks for your assistance in any case. I am a patient man, I can wait.

...Maybe.

omlet

Well that's just great. I guess I won't be creating my character until they open creation again. I'm really not in that big of a hurry to play and I'm not interested in paying a fee to transfer my character back to Ultros once they allow it. If I can't create my character on the realm of my choosing, what's the point? I find it hilarious how it basically warns you to choose your server carefully and pick one that your friends play on, despite the fact that a large majority of them are locked out.

Thanks for your assistance in any case. I am a patient man, I can wait.

...Maybe.

Even legacy servers getting rocked by returning players lol...

Has there been any talk about the number of logins theyre getting to cause so many issues?

I just read this morning approaching 200k concurrent, but I already forgot where I saw that.

Can a person buy the physical copy of the game and still get in to create and play today? GF wants to play and was gonna stop at BB to pick up two copies to give it a go.

Infinitydragon

Neo Member
Is there any situation where the emerald carbuncle is better than the topaz one?

I have tested both and the damage difference between the two is low which makes the topaz better since it can tank like a boss.

Is there any situation where the emerald carbuncle is better than the topaz one?

I have tested both and the damage difference between the two is low which makes the topaz better since it can tank like a boss.
If your tanker is competent, you have no need to call Topaz at all, and are better with the extra DPS from Emerald. When the tanker sucks, Topaz is a godsend.

When can I start crafting/mining/botany?
As soon as you get to level 10 and do the lv10 class quest at your guild.

chrono01

Even legacy servers getting rocked by returning players lol...

I just read this morning approaching 200k concurrent, but I already forgot where I saw that.
On a positive note, at least the game is [seemingly] doing well, outside of the server issues. It's a great thing to see considering how great the game is. Yoshi-P and his team definitely deserve it.

Infinitydragon

Neo Member
If your tanker is competent, you have no need to call Topaz at all, and are better with the extra DPS from Emerald. When the tanker sucks, Topaz is a godsend.

Yeah but when i tested both of them damage wise, the topaz and the emerald were pretty close. The only difference was that the topaz was no where near dying.

NeOak

Can a person buy the physical copy of the game and still get in to create and play today? GF wants to play and was gonna stop at BB to pick up two copies to give it a go.

lol no, and read damn it, it was like 5 posts above.

Well, if the top headlines on the launcher are anything to go by (crazy concept, I know!), refreshing won't help:

Exodus
Faerie
Lamia
Siren
Midgardsormr
Adamantoise
Coeurl
Malboro
Ultros
Behemoth
Cactuar
Goblin
Sargatanas
Diabolos
Gilgamesh
Leviathan
Balmung
Excalibur
Hyperion
Tonberry
Mandragora
Bahamut
Chocobo

Tarazet

Yeah but when i tested both of them damage wise, the topaz and the emerald were pretty close. The only difference was that the topaz was no where near dying.

Topaz Carbuncle can cause issues when the mob needs to be moved, but early on, there's really no need to. Besides, up to level 30 (40 for Paladins), the actual tanks can tank about as well as, say, an Enhancement Shaman from WoW with Rockbiter Weapon on.

Salaadin

200k? What is that by MMO standards? Good, bad?

On a positive note, at least the game is [seemingly] doing well, outside of the server issues. It's a great thing to see considering how great the game is. Yoshi-P and his team definitely deserve it.

I want the game to succeed because of that team. They really put their all into it.
Such a shame that the server problems are bogging it down. I really hope they get it together ASAP.

frequency

I don't believe that is true (about the damage). We have no parsers so we can't say for sure but look at the abilities. There is a significant difference in potency.

1st, I said Physical copies, not digital.

2nd, I see a list of locked servers, that tells me nothing since I don't play the game. Are there open servers available still?

It is a meaningless number since it's launch. This is the busiest time for any MMO.

Except FFXI. FFXI grew into its 500k concurrent base. If XIV can achieve that SE will be happy. XI printed money for SE for a long time and still does.

Infinitydragon

Neo Member
I don't believe that is true (about the damage). We have no parsers so we can't say for sure but look at the abilities. There is a significant difference in potency.

My only way of testing this is to sic them on the same monster and see how long each of them takes to kill it.

The emerald one overall killed things faster but not that much faster than the topaz.

I'm only level 24 so far so things will probably change on higher level but what i have noticed so far is that the topaz has decent damage and tanking ability whereas the emerald one has higher damage but not enough to make it more useful.

P.S. When i say test, i do not mean super pro player accurate conclusive test, i mean the average player "Let's see how fast things die" test.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So they've suspended digital download sales??

Might be just direct from Square itself. I bought and downloaded the game this morning off of PSN(NA) without any issue right off my PS3. Read about this news the moment after I purchased and got really worried, but the game downloaded and patched just fine.

Just rolled an archer on Lamia myself.

Edit: and oh crap...playing around with the tattoos, I accidentally guess I had one selected I did not want. Possible to delete this character and reroll? Hate looking at that thing on my face.

frequency

My only way of testing this is to sic them on the same monster and see how long each of them takes to kill it.

The emerald one overall killed things faster but not that much faster than the topaz.

I'm only level 24 so far so things will probably change on higher level but what i have noticed so far is that the topaz has decent damage and tanking ability whereas the emerald one has higher damage but not enough to make it more useful.

Well it matters less on targets that die really fast. The difference becomes noticeable on like bosses and other longer encounters.

If you are alone, and even in some encounters (like ones with lots of adds), Topaz is a good choice. Generally speaking though, as a damage dealer, Emerald should be your default in groups. The damage difference is not negligible in longer encounters.

And above all that, you should also consider your tank. They may not be the best but they are also learning. As long as they show the willingness to learn, I would refrain from getting in their way with Topaz. It is just etiquette and courtesy.

http://ffxiv-app.com has a parser. It's weird with multiple ACN in the group, though. Works well enough to see who is doing well or not in a dungeon.

Oh interesting. Thank you. I will need to look into that.

theorythree3

Neo Member
Just built a new PC and since I haven't played a MMO in years I've been looking at this game a lot and starting to get the itch again. Shame about the servers or I would have already gone out and bought a copy. I guess I'll check back on next week to hopefully more positive news, and to the ones that are actually getting in.. Enjoy!

TheFatOne

Is there a way to only target mobs with a controller? Fates are impossible to do because it takes me forever to cycle to a mob. Is there a way to also only target npc?

Jarnet87

You should unlock PLD as soon as you can, because it will give you access to several key abilities. It won't change the gameplay for you, but it adds another layer. You get a DPS stance at 30, an Intervene-like ability you can use to take damage in place of a melee or another tank at 35, your tanking stance at 40, a silence at 45, and a bubble at 50.

You'll still be level 30, since it's not the job that gets leveled up (Paladin), it's your class (Gladiator).

On the same tack, I believe that if you are an Arcanist, once you reach 50 you will be at 50 for both Summoner and Scholar as long as you've done the quests.

So when you unlock a job it is your main class, or active class that gets experience?

SkyOdin

Is there a way to only target mobs with a controller? Fates are impossible to do because it takes me forever to cycle to a mob. Is there a way to also only target npc?

You can turn on target filtering in the character settings menu, then use L1+ the face buttons to switch between four different target filters, each of which can be individually customized. By default, I think one is enemies only and another is friendlies only.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it is also worth noting that by default, your targeting changes based on whether you have your weapon out or not. That can also be customized in the same menu.

TheFatOne

If you click the gear in the lower right corner of the chat log, there are a ton of targeting options.

You can turn on target filtering in the character settings menu, then use L1+ the face buttons to switch between four different target filters, each of which can be individually customized. By default, I think one is enemies only and another is friendlies only.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it is also worth noting that by default, your targeting changes based on whether you have your weapon out or not. That can also be customized in the same menu.
Awesome. I knew I was not seeing the right option. This should make my life much much easier.

Infinitydragon

Neo Member
Well it matters less on targets that die really fast. The difference becomes noticeable on like bosses and other longer encounters.

If you are alone, and even in some encounters (like ones with lots of adds), Topaz is a good choice. Generally speaking though, as a damage dealer, Emerald should be your default in groups. The damage difference is not negligible in longer encounters.

I agree with you on the damage difference increasing the longer the fight goes on which definitely makes the emerald more useful for a DPS role.

The point i was trying to make was that on average the topaz was better than the emerald for unknown situations for example when entering a dungeon for the first time.

And above all that, you should also consider your tank. They may not be the best but they are also learning. As long as they show the willingness to learn, I would refrain from getting in their way with Topaz. It is just etiquette and courtesy.

Total MMO noob here but how does another creature that can take some damage away from you be a bad thing ?

Ferrio

Banned
Total MMO noob here but how does another creature that can take some damage away from you be a bad thing ?

Tanking is all about control. Throwing an AI creature into the mix takes that control away from the tank that they need to do their job. If I'm tanking a boss and suddenly the boss starts to act funny because of competing aggro, I can't ensure I'll be able to keep people safe. Off tanking is fine, as long as it's another person who've you beforehand established EXACTLY what the plan is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom