• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will charge once the free period is over for you. So $0 for now, but check the date and price on the account site.

Right, I think I get it.
So, I've selected 180 days, asked for that, so it will now bill be every month for £7.69 until the 6 months are up?

Is it like a contract of sorts?

Ah right, so at the end of the 30 days I got with the game, I'll get charged 180 days so, around £46 and I'm good to go for 6 months?

Again, sorry for the questions but they dont make it easy to understand.

Yes. And automatic renewal is probably selected so it will automatically hit you on day 181 for another 180 days FYI.

Salaadin

Ah right, so at the end of the 30 days I got with the game, I'll get charged 180 days so, around £46 and I'm good to go for 6 months?

Again, sorry for the questions but they dont make it easy to understand.

Right.

Free period ends, you get charged for the full 180 days and then you get no charges until that 180 days is up. Youll be set for 6 months.

Shouta

Topaz Squirrel is a godsend for when you don't have a sleeper and the multi-mob control is a bit wonk in your party. The carbuncle in my party also never took control of the main mob from our tank too, I guess they were doing enough damage to outpace Bushy-Tail.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
SOON THE RECKONING SHALL COME TO ALL MORTAL BEINGS

ffxiv_27082013_210345els7z.png

frequency

I agree with you on the damage difference increasing the longer the fight goes on which definitely makes the emerald more useful for a DPS role.

The point i was trying to make was that on average the topaz was better than the emerald for unknown situations for example when entering a dungeon for the first time.

Total MMO noob here but how does another creature that can take some damage away from you be a bad thing ?

Enmity/threat management is a huge part of tanking. Having another source of mass enmity generation interferes with a tank's job.

Consider that your Topaz Carbuncle is on a single target going all out with enmity generation (of which it can do respectably). Your tank, however, can not focus only one a single target. They must keep high enmity on all targets and so their attention is split. As a result, the longer the fight goes, the higher the chance that Topaz will steal the enemies attention from the tank.

There are a few concerns related to this.

First, your Topaz Carbuncle may now be a target of damage, which means it needs to be healed. If the healer does it, then they are now wasting MP on a pet. If you do it, you are healing and not damaging as your role is. Or if you use that ability that heals Carbuncle with your own HP, you are now a healing target for the healer. MP management is a major part of a healer's job.

Second, you may interfere with the melee damage classes. Both Pugilist and Lancer depend on positioning. Most tanks will run past a group of enemies and turn around to fight them. This way the enemies are turned away from the group and the tank gets a full view of his entire party. You likely sent your Carbuncle out to attack from your position with the rest of the group, meaning your Carbuncle is attacking the back of these enemies. The moment your Carbuncle gets the attention of an enemy, it turns around.
This completely ruins positioning for the melee DPS and throws off their rotation. In addition, you put them and the party at risk of cone attacks as now they are targeted towards the group rather than away. This then interferes with your magic users as they may need to stop what they're doing to move out of the way - possibly interrupting cast time on a spell.

Third, positioning is important. Area attacks from the enemy usually target the ground directly around them. If the tank has all the enemies on him, it is easily avoidable. But should the tank move from his starting position, if your Carbuncle has threat, it will stay where it was (unless you take the time to move it - which means you're not fulfilling your role as a damage dealer while micromanaging pet positioning). So you can potentially have split up the enemy groups into 2 areas, which has the risk of multiple Area attacks spread out on more than just a single point, which makes it a little harder to avoid.

Ultimately, it's not a huge thing, especially at these levels. But the most important thing, I feel, is that you're making it harder on the tank and undermining their job. Unless the tank is a jerk or refuses to try to improve, I would just be polite and try not interfere with them.

We have less than 20 spots left in the GAF FC on Ultros. :(

There are approximately less than 2% of random members in the Free Company as open membership was closed on the first day of early access. Roughly 20-25% or less of members are friends, family, and loved ones of our current GAF members. All in all, the FC is mostly comprised of actual NeoGAF account holders (400-ish), and we are still running out of room. Invite requests are happening frequently, there are around 30 users left in both of the original Linkshells (Gather Against Fate and GAF) that have not been transferred to the Free Company yet, and there is an equally significant number of members that have registered and applied on our website that have been unable to get into the game or contact an officer for an invite.

We are planning to setup an overflow Linkshell (probably the original Gather Against Fate LS) and will move players over gradually as space becomes available. As stated before, there around 30 users remaining in this Linkshell waiting to be transferred, so as we add more overflow users, there will be a decent pool of players to congregate with until we can move you into the Free Company.

We originally planned to review membership numbers after the free month expires for most users (30+ days + 14 day grace period), but due to the length of time and the amount of players trying to get in, we may begin removing inactive users that have not logged in for at least 2 weeks in order to allow other more active users an opportunity to join and contribute to the Free Company. We will of course wait until the login and server issues are resolved before tallying any days of inactivity.

To people that do not intend to subscribe (users planning to abandon after the free month or when early access ends this Friday):

Please notify one of our officers so that we may remove you from the Free Company and make room for other users.

Ichabod

Banned
Is there someway to see what an item's stats are before buying or when inspecting someone? Found a staff at a merchant and thought because it was the most expensive it would have the best stats. Bought it and I can't even equip it until a goldsmith repairs it. Wtf.

Infinitydragon

Neo Member
Tanking is all about control. Throwing an AI creature into the mix takes that control away from the tank that they need to do their job. If I'm tanking a boss and suddenly the boss starts to act funny because of competing aggro, I can't ensure I'll be able to keep people safe. Off tanking is fine, as long as it's another person who've you beforehand established EXACTLY what the plan is.

I think this means that in a party the topaz is not only less useful but can also be a hindrance.

I think i need to focus more on my DPS role in a party which makes the emerald carbuncle the better choice.

I think that what frequency was trying to tell me, thanks for explaining.

We have less than 20 spots left in the GAF FC on Ultros. :(

There are approximately less than 2% of random members in the Free Company as open membership was closed on the first day of early access. Roughly 20-25% or less of members are friends, family, and loved ones of our current GAF members. All in all, the FC is mostly comprised of actual NeoGAF account holders (400-ish), and we are still running out of room. Invite requests are happening frequently, there are around 30 users left in both of the original Linkshells (Gather Against Fate and GAF) that have not been transferred to the Free Company yet, and there is an equally significant number of members that have registered and applied on our website that have been unable to get into the game or contact an officer for an invite.

We are planning to setup an overflow Linkshell (probably the original Gather Against Fate LS) and will move players over gradually as space becomes available. As stated before, there around 30 users remaining in this Linkshell waiting to be transferred, so as we add more overflow users, there will be a decent pool of players to congregate with until we can move you into the Free Company.

We originally planned to review membership numbers after the free month expires for most users (30+ days + 14 day grace period), but due to the length of time and the amount of players trying to get in, we may begin removing inactive users that have not logged in for at least 2 weeks in order to allow other more active users an opportunity to join and contribute to the Free Company. We will of course wait until the login and server issues are resolved before tallying any days of inactivity.

To people that do not intend to subscribe (users planning to abandon after the free month or when early access ends this Friday):

Please notify one of our officers so that we may remove you from the Free Company and make room for other users.
I won't be subscribing for about 15 days(so Oct 15) because of Ace Combat Infinity
and then the Battlefield 4 beta.
Coming right back after that though.

daveo42

Banned
Once I finish up the story quests with my WHM, I'm thinking of moving over to a dps role for my 2nd job, but not certain on which one. What are some of the dps jobs you like or think are fun? Explanations as to why are a plus.

Zafir

If you have the PS3 version and the PC version can you be logged in on both at the same time(though on different characters of course)?

I remember seeing a FAQ about this but I can't remember where. >.<

Once I finish up the story quests with my WHM, I'm thinking of moving over to a dps role for my 2nd job, but not certain on which one. What are some of the dps jobs you like or think are fun? Explanations as to why are a plus.

You just have to try them. I like Archer, Pugilist and Lancer all for different reasons.

Archer is crazy though in that I can kill mobs like 5-7 levels above me early on b/c I'm constantly moving and staying away from them. Wouldn't be the fastest exp to do that over and over again but it's still fun.

Infinitydragon

Neo Member
Enmity/threat management is a huge part of tanking. Having another source of mass enmity generation interferes with a tank's job.

Consider that your Topaz Carbuncle is on a single target going all out with enmity generation (of which it can do respectably). Your tank, however, can not focus only one a single target. They must keep high enmity on all targets and so their attention is split. As a result, the longer the fight goes, the higher the chance that Topaz will steal the enemies attention from the tank.

There are a few concerns related to this.

First, your Topaz Carbuncle may now be a target of damage, which means it needs to be healed. If the healer does it, then they are now wasting MP on a pet. If you do it, you are healing and not damaging as your role is. Or if you use that ability that heals Carbuncle with your own HP, you are now a healing target for the healer. MP management is a major part of a healer's job.

Second, you may interfere with the melee damage classes. Both Pugilist and Lancer depend on positioning. Most tanks will run past a group of enemies and turn around to fight them. This way the enemies are turned away from the group and the tank gets a full view of his entire party. You likely sent your Carbuncle out to attack from your position with the rest of the group, meaning your Carbuncle is attacking the back of these enemies. The moment your Carbuncle gets the attention of an enemy, it turns around.
This completely ruins positioning for the melee DPS and throws off their rotation. In addition, you put them and the party at risk of cone attacks as now they are targeted towards the group rather than away. This then interferes with your magic users as they may need to stop what they're doing to move out of the way - possibly interrupting cast time on a spell.

Third, positioning is important. Area attacks from the enemy usually target the ground directly around them. If the tank has all the enemies on him, it is easily avoidable. But should the tank move from his starting position, if your Carbuncle has threat, it will stay where it was (unless you take the time to move it - which means you're not fulfilling your role as a damage dealer while micromanaging pet positioning). So you can potentially have split up the enemy groups into 2 areas, which has the risk of multiple Area attacks spread out on more than just a single point, which makes it a little harder to avoid.

Ultimately, it's not a huge thing, especially at these levels. But the most important thing, I feel, is that you're making it harder on the tank and undermining their job. Unless the tank is a jerk or refuses to try to improve, I would just be polite and try not interfere with them.

I think that is a huge downside of the topaz that i did not know.

I think that i need to focus on improving my own character's DPS role rather than interfere with the job of another player. This means that by default the emerald carbuncle should be my choice since it has the higher damage output.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this. You have just helped wash away some of the ignorance of a noob.

Kenai

I'm having a hard time figuring out where to unlock SCH. My ACN is 30 and my CNJ is 15 and I don't see any quests available at the guild. Do I have to lvl THM to 15 too or something? I didn't do the 30 class quest either, it's making me rage a bit.

Hubb

I'm having a hard time figuring out where to unlock SCH. My ACN is 30 and my CNJ is 15 and I don't see any quests available at the guild. Do I have to lvl THM to 15 too or something? I didn't do the 30 class quest either, it's making me rage a bit.

You need to do the class quest first and then go back to the guild.

you know... mmos really should have like a crazy taxi style arrow over your head for quests and objectives.

not a fan of having my face in the map a large amount of the time.

Tarazet

I think that is a huge downside of the topaz that i did not know.

I think that i need to focus on improving my own character's DPS role rather than interfere with the job of another player. This means that by default the emerald carbuncle should be my choice since it has the higher damage output.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this. You have just helped wash away some of the ignorance of a noob.

Yeah, I hate that they put in a tanking pet that will taunt off of an actual tank after seeing the YEARS of complaining about hunter pets taunting by default in WoW.

Hubb

To reconfirm. GC seals are earned from fates and what else?

GC hunting logs (opening up your hunting log and click on the GC icon)
GC leves (fighting stuff, turning in mats, turning in crafted stuff)
Maybe pvp once it is released since at least one of the PvP games is centered around your GC.

daveo42

Banned
You just have to try them. I like Archer, Pugilist and Lancer all for different reasons.

Archer is crazy though in that I can kill mobs like 5-7 levels above me early on b/c I'm constantly moving and staying away from them. Wouldn't be the fastest exp to do that over and over again but it's still fun.

Thanks for the info. There are just too many to choose from, but ACH sounds like it could be fun.

daveo42

Banned
you know... mmos really should have like a crazy taxi style arrow over your head for quests and objectives.

not a fan of having my face in the map a large amount of the time.

I'm glad it doesn't because it gives you a reason to explore. Especially the hunting logs. Usually the only frustration comes from the area they are in because one area on a map could actually mean a large swath with tons of nooks and crannies you may end up missing.

Reknoc

Here I am, sitting here with the CE on my lap. Code in hand, mogstation in my tabs... now what? Where does this code go? It's apparently not a bonus code, the URL on the card just sends me to the mog station

After 2 hours of waiting on the support line, finally got in and escalated my ticket to get my CE stuff + 30 days. But it'll take a day or two to happen. Whelp, at least that's sorted on my end.

Called in sick Monday and Tuesday (I deserved it, trust me ;), got my Marauder to 22. Back at work today, and im gonna waste half of it on GAF. first world problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom