• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's your standard registration code, so just launch the client, and when it gets to the point you have to put in your code, put it in.

Love your avatar!

Played all last night, Alt-Tabbed to check a site and it crashed. Two episodes of Game Grumps later, I got in again and did Toto-Rak. That dungeon is pretty crazy! Legit got lost a few times, and not in a Wailing Caverns kinda way. Felt really cool.

I need to get GLA up before I continue MRD tanking. It's a bit too shaky without Flash and Provoke. I can still do it with very few issues but I'd like the insurance.

Daellon

Neo Member
I'm enjoying ARC but BRD doesn't interest me at all. Will ARC be a viable end-game class?

On that note, I've heard rumors of future releases of more Jobs. Any word on this? I think I read where Samurai and Ninja were planned to release in the first major content patch, but I don't remember where I read this.

potam

Banned
Anyone want to explain to me really quick about using skills from different classes? I feel like there's dozens of features and systems at work that I'm completely unaware of.

omlet

So paladins out there.

STR or VIT?

str does stuff for shields and def, but i'm reading paladin's are quite low on hp vs other tanks.

Your HP is lower because you have like 5 different stackable damage reduction skills and a shield.

Both STR and VIT are viable choices. Mix it if you want. I'd lean towards STR. In 1.x I was pure offensive on my additional stats and it worked great. STR is important because you generate most of your threat by attacking with weaponskills with threat bonuses. At low levels it won't really matter where you put your points and at high levels you'll be able to farm GC seals for respec if you really need it.

Kweh

Not sure if this is a problem due to server stress, but it's been happening since last night for me.

Yesterday I went to install the game, and got to the point where I have to sign in with my S-E account on the installer and it wouldn't accept my password. It let me change my password, which I did, but then when I tried to log in with that it still wouldn't accept it.

I've tried logging in on both the installer and the S-E website and same problem.

Anyone have the same problem?

Zomba13

Have you updated your video card drivers since phase 4 (maybe unknowingly?)

If not, I'd say try to look for updated drivers for your card (even beta ones) and see if it fixes the issue.

Nope. I checked. I've had these drivers since before P4. I have the most up to date release. I was looking at beta drivers on the Sunday morning but then the game worked flawlessly all day and then again on Monday so I assumed the problem had gone and fixed itself. Now that it's back I might try that.

Baliis

Grindanian envoy afaik

Try going back to where you met with the Immortal Flames guy for the envoy quest, can't remember his name. The guy you gave the letter to for the previous quest should give you the next quest, I know I missed it the first time around.

NeOak

After exiting the room there should have been someone standing right outside the door with the start of the next quest. It's really easy to miss if you run past with all of the people standing there.

Yeah, we went and delivered the letters to Ul'dah and Limsa, but after that, boop.

SkyOdin

Grindanian envoy afaik

It sounds like your next story quest should be found in Ul'dah, from the Sultansworn guard standing in front of the door that leads to where you met the Flame General.

A lot of people seem to lose the trail of the main quests somewhere between the big level 15 quest and the first dungeon quest, for some reason. However, the next story quest is always within sight of where the last ended.

Shouta

I'm enjoying ARC but BRD doesn't interest me at all. Will ARC be a viable end-game class?

On that note, I've heard rumors of future releases of more Jobs. Any word on this? I think I read where Samurai and Ninja were planned to release in the first major content patch, but I don't remember where I read this.

Archer will probably be a better damage dealer than BRD will. You'll get access to a few good cross-class skills that can help your damage, mainly Internal Release, Invigorate and Fracture.

Anyone want to explain to me really quick about using skills from different classes? I feel like there's dozens of features and systems at work that I'm completely unaware of.

You get a few slots to use a couple of skills from other classes to increase your capabilities. It'll be listed in your Action/Traits menu. Jobs like Monk or Paladin are restricted to two sets of them while the base classes like Pugilist or Gladiator have the ability to equip the available skills from any class.

omlet

Unlikely.

Bard trades a few nice cross-class options for awesome buffs and some really nice attack skills. I would probably never invite an archer over a bard at 40+ unless the party already had a bard or two (in which case I'd probably not invite an archer anyway, but some other DD job).

I will have to do some parsing to really see, but from what I've played of ARR, the situation of ARC and BRD is similar to 1.x. ARC has a bit higher individual damage potential due to cross class damage boost skills, but BRD's damage is still really good (actually better than an ARC without cross class skills) plus it has great buffs which will boost your party's performance.

NeOak

There should be a new quest available in Ul'dah iirc, right where you went to talk to the leader there.

It sounds like your next story quest should be found in Ul'dah, from the Sultansworn guard standing in front of the door that leads to where you met the Flame General.

A lot of people seem to lose the trail of the main quests somewhere between the big level 15 quest and the first dungeon quest, for some reason. However, the next story quest is always within sight of where the last ended.

I had it, she didn't. Thanks!

Xyber

Man, I cannot decide between Scholar or Summoner. I know one is healer and the other DPS, but... which one is cooler?

The game does not need more people going with DPS from my experience. It's super easy to find a DPS for a dungeon, healers and tanks are lacking.

I'm gonna go with Scholar myself.

Vengal

The filler in this games story is absolutely ridiculous.

Don't disagree there, most MMOs don't really have a large overarching goal for awhile. You're some new adventurer busting your chops to earn your chops and stuff sorta snowballs. This game however has alot of filler and sorta meaningless travel.

You have a codec to communicate with the leader of the order but you still have to make in person appearances when you're busy in south shroud?

I feel like when you're in Costa Del Soul to talk to 1 guy then you have to go to South Shroud to talk to another in the same leg of the quest it screams poor quest design. Either that or they're trying to temp you to waste gill teleporting everywhere.

Ploid 3.0

I'm glad it doesn't because it gives you a reason to explore. Especially the hunting logs. Usually the only frustration comes from the area they are in because one area on a map could actually mean a large swath with tons of nooks and crannies you may end up missing.

There are better ways to promote exploration, and looking at the map constantly doesn't help, you cover the screen and probably miss something interesting.

GW2 has a great system that promotes exploration. Points of interest, Vistas, puzzles, getting exp for exploring the map, and so on.

They only go after vistas in this video. No points of interest (the smaller squares on the map)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jzah63Zz5zw#t=11

Each map has these to promote exploration and it's quite actually fun and rewarding, getting 100% gives you a loot reward, money, and a good chunk of exp on top of the exp you get for each point of progress you make. Get 100% in all of the world gives you another huge reward. Some of the vistas, and points of interest, are behind a jumping puzzle which could be quite challenging since some can have monsters placed in the fall area, along the path, and a boss at the end. Fun and you feel like you're exploring. GW2 don't have a Crazy Taxi arrow though :(

Daellon

Neo Member
Archer will probably be a better damage dealer than BRD will. You'll get access to a few good cross-class skills that can help your damage, mainly Internal Release, Invigorate and Fracture.

Maybe I'm being cynical (this is what WoW does to you, kids) but I feel as though I will need to roll as a caster to have any chance of being a decent DPS at end-game.

potam

Banned
You get a few slots to use a couple of skills from other classes to increase your capabilities. It'll be listed in your Action/Traits menu. Jobs like Monk or Paladin are restricted to two sets of them while the base classes like Pugilist or Gladiator have the ability to equip the available skills from any class.

Thanks. So far the game has done a pretty decent job explaining the mechanics. I imagine it'll run me through this as well once I start leveling up another class.

Everything just feels so confusing after leaving the comfort zone of WoW.

Also, I want to just throw out that this game's graphics blow me away. It really does feel a level above the other MMOs out right now.

Shouta

Unlikely.

Bard trades a few nice cross-class options for awesome buffs and some really nice attack skills. I would probably never invite an archer over a bard at 40+ unless the party already had a bard or two (in which case I'd probably not invite an archer anyway, but some other DD job).

I will have to do some parsing to really see, but from what I've played of ARR, the situation of ARC and BRD is similar to 1.x. ARC has a bit higher individual damage potential due to cross class damage boost skills, but BRD's damage is still really good (actually better than an ARC without cross class skills) plus it has great buffs which will boost your party's performance.

Huh, how did BRD get better damage than ARC in 1.0? Didn't songs still lower personal damage then? Unless you get a BRD specific weapon, I don't see how that was the case. The stat difference shouldn't have been that much higher either.

Party benefits are significant though, that's for sure.

omlet

Huh, how did BRD get better damage than ARC in 1.0?
Songs and relic weapons. An ARC with songs could do more damage than a BRD with songs, but two BRDs both playing songs would still be better. Plus BRD had the job stat bonus to DEX and PIE (BRD's damage stats in 1.x).

Didn't songs still lower personal damage then?
Nope.

Unless you get a BRD specific weapon
Like relic.

Party benefits are significant though, that's for sure.
Matters more than anything at endgame.

daveo42

Banned
There are better ways to promote exploration, and looking at the map constantly doesn't help, you cover the screen and probably miss something interesting.

GW2 has a great system that promotes exploration. Points of interest, Vistas, puzzles, getting exp for exploring the map, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Jzah63Zz5zw#t=11

Each map has these to promote exploration and it's quite actually fun and rewarding, getting 100% gives you a loot reward, money, and a good chunk of exp on top of the exp you get for each point of progress you make. Get 100% in all of the world gives you another huge reward. Some of the vistas, and points of interest, are behind a jumping puzzle which could be quite challenging since some can have monsters placed in the fall area, along the path, and a boss at the end. Fun and you feel like you're exploring. GW2 don't have a Crazy Taxi arrow though :(

GW2 had great exploration and open-world puzzles and areas that did incentivize going off the beaten path. It'd be awesome if FFXIV had some sort of mechanic to help promote exploration a bit more, but right now it's not bad for just exploring and seeing what's down that dark path and getting swarmed by mobs 10+ levels above you.

The map does get its uses though once you start looking for certain things, though I never pull it up full screen. I do zoom in sometimes when I need that map detail.

NIN90

So I'm lvl 17 now (just took the story airship ride) and I still don't have any crafting or gathering jobs? Did I miss that stuff or is it yet to come?

somesang

How is Ultros today? Could not log in the evening yesterday after being disconnected a few times. Hoping its not full cause the rest of my week is filled with responsibility. Leaving the office soon.

Ziek

I have such a strong urge to play this game. I recently bought a new PC and I can finally play an MMO with max settings!

Unfortunately I waited until today to make my decision to buy it. No Digital Codes, my local Best Buy is sold out and my local Gamestop just closed.
Fuck going to Walmart.

I hope they don't keep Digital Downloads out of stock for long.

Got a question too: How is this game for fairweather fans of Final Fantasy and casual play?

So I'm lvl 17 now (just took the story airship ride) and I still don't have any crafting or gathering jobs? Did I miss that stuff or is it yet to come?

You can go and get any job you want now. You just have to go the the respective guild to start the quest to join.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else frustrated with how they label locations in a kind of confusing way? Like if you know you need to get to Lower La Noscea from inside the city, but if you don't memorize that the aethernet gate you want is called 'zeyphyr' (or is it the other one, I already forgot), then you're clueless.

All I want is for quests and aethernet regions to kind of match, I dunno, put the region in parentheses next to the proper name or something. It just feels like there needs to be a lot more consistency. The same thing goes for teleport destinations, why don'tt hey let you know what fucking region each one puts you in?

omlet

Give me some perspective on damage in This game.

What is the damage cap? What kind of numbers can you expect out of a burst dps at 50?

Monk skills at 50 in AF and Garuda claws hit level 42 mobs from the front for about an average of 100~150 damage non-crit. Don't play monk if you want big numbers.

Edit: Proper rotation skill use with a tank you'll see better numbers, of course. Back crits for well over 300, for example.

Baliis

Just go to any of the crafting guilds and do the mini quest to join like you would any of the other classes.

MrTapion

Neo Member
During the day time, the world seems to let people on ok. Although, I logged on at 9am, and just logged off about 20 minutes ago. Night time, I doubt I'll get on, haha, but oh well. A break for a night isn't bad.

NIN90

Just go to any of the crafting guilds and do the mini quest to join like you would any of the other classes.

I went to the mining guild but there was no quest marker? I only got the options for "tell me about mining" and so on when speaking to the NPC.

Monk skills at 50 in AF and Garuda claws hit level 42 mobs from the front for about an average of 100~150 damage non-crit. Don't play monk if you want big numbers.

Edit: Proper rotation skill use with a tank you'll see better numbers, of course. Back crits for well over 300, for example.

those are pretty small for cap in a mmo, especially one out of asia o_O

4 digit numbers should be a minimum for endgame mmo damage! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom