• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| World Full. Try again later. Please Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some of the achievements. Lord Protector title for doing 5,000 regional battlecraft levequests.. at 8 allowances a day, that's 625 days worth of levequests. That's bonkers.

We were talking about this last night. Most of the achievements that grant titles seem to be very difficult or time consuming to obtain. I prefer having this sense of accomplishment over having everything handed to me on a platter with little effort at all.

Ploid 3.0

Arcanist felt very slow to me. YMMV, but try out some of the other classes (especially since it's so easy to do) and see if that changes things up a bit. I'd recommend one of the melee classes, if you're open to that style of play.

I'd say try ranger, Pug, Gladiator, and Thaumaturge felt boring to me as well. Ranger is very active, you can move while shooting, because you can move you will like having those different abilities and shadowbind. All of that helps keep you awake.

WarMacheen

Place in que 9

loads

FU SE

I'm just about fed up. 5 days of this shit with half ass responses. Most if not all servers are locked so that new players can't even make a character...on the game they just paid for.

Oh, we will fix it next week, maybe

Ploid 3.0

Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but does anyone know if you can use a Visa Debit card for the subscription instead of a regular credit card?

I don't see why not, I used visa debit for years with FFXI, though they did change over to a crysta system in which point I just stopped paying because I didn't want to deal with a new complicated looking payment system. I also used that as a excuse to just stop. I have no definite yes or no though, and I'm guessing you can't just try it since you'd have to buy the game first.

Edit: V
And there you go. Woot toot.

Daellon

Neo Member
Apologies if this has been asked/answered already, but does anyone know if you can use a Visa Debit card for the subscription instead of a regular credit card?

For all intents and purposes, a Debit Card is the exact same thing as a Credit Card where vendors are concerned.

The only issue you would have is if the card were ATM only. In your case, if it says VISA you should be fine.

I'd say try ranger, Pug, Gladiator, and Thaumaturge felt boring to me as well. Ranger is very active, you can move while shooting, because you can move you will like having those different abilities and shadowbind. All of that helps keep you awake.

Interesting you'd say that; so far Archers have been the worst at party play, as far as I've encountered. Attacking before the tank gets a chance, running around when they get targeted, continuing to fire while they're running, etc. Archer might be a little too fun lol

Daellon

Neo Member
Interesting you'd say that; so far Archers have been the worst at party play, as far as I've encountered. Attacking before the tank gets a chance, running around when they get targeted, continuing to fire while they're running, etc. Archer might be a little too fun lol

The class is extremely fun. I can see how inexperienced players would be giving them a bad rap at the moment, though.

Ploid 3.0

I never partied in this game, never had to until I tried to do a mission at level 20 with gladiator (the duty finder tutorial it seemed). I like solo, pickup and play whenever I want (beastmaster spoiled me). It sucks that ranger might not have a good spot in endgame. The problem sounds like something that's easy to overcome after the learning phase. Tank doesn't use flash or shield toss if that happens? There may be more tools later but it sucks if enmity is a issue, bouncy mobs is a pain.

daveo42

Banned
It's interesting, the minimap has things that the big map doesn't (the arrows for FATES and quest objectives), but the minimap is also missing things that the big map has. I keep looking at the wrong map for the information I need.

I feel that the larger map can give you more info though because you can zoom way out and see everything. For example, in Coerthas you need to be able to look at the entire map to see where FATEs pop very fast. Having access to the entire map makes it super easy to determine where one is and how to get there quickly. If needed, you can zoom in and look at more detail. The minimap gives you the detail, but lacks scope. Yeah, you can see direction indicators on the minimap, but you don't know what they are until you get within range.

I felt like the minimap has its uses, but other games do a much better job at utilizing it.

are people that eager to throw money at SE? :p

i'm a bit hesistant with the server issues and people saying reaching cap isn't hard. Not really the biggest end game kinda guy.

Mr. RHC

PS3 screenie:
scZYIyd.jpg

I've seen these robes ALOT today!

Ken

Need help linking or figuring out these two different account things.

I redeemed the pre-order code for the Cait Sith and Moogle Cap on what I assume is this account:

but that doesn't show up on my 1.0 account that I use to log in to the game?

Are they two separate accounts or is there something else I need to do?

daveo42

Banned
If it says VISA on the card somewhere, yes you can.

Is the payment system the same as it was in 1.0, where it was registered as a non-US charge? I had issues with my bank account because my bank thought the charge was coming from the UK and denied it. I had to use a credit card before it would accept.

Lain

I logged off 3 hours ago to go play some WoW (got some raids to do), but today I managed to get to 31, unlock White Mage job, get a robe and a pair of shoes from Toto-rak and party with some some gaffers.

I really like this game (despite those little annoyances here and there) and I also really like healing in it. I'll have to level a tank class next, or try to unlock scholar.

Daellon

Neo Member
Is the payment system the same as it was in 1.0, where it was registered as a non-US charge? I had issues with my bank account because my bank thought the charge was coming from the UK and denied it. I had to use a credit card before it would accept.

Hmm. A valid point here. I wonder if my card will charge me currency conversion fees.

Lain

how are ranged class in this, mage/archers etc? Can you cast while moving?

only time i ever play range in mmos lol.

Archer can shoot while moving, which allows for easy circle kiting. Mages can't cast while moving (unless you're casting an insta-cast spell).
I found Archer to be pretty fun.

I've skimmed the thread but couldn't find an answer to this.

I purchased FFXIV when it was originally released. I didn't subscribe for 90-days so i know I don't have legacy privileges.

What are my options to play?
I checked the FFXIV site but it wasn't clear what I needed to do.

Do I use my original software and update it?

Is there a new client to download?

I currently have the recent beta installed, but that doesn't seem to work any more.

Edit: typo

Ken

I purchased FFIX when it was originally released. I didn't subscribe for 90-days so i know I don't have legacy privileges.

I checked the FFIX site but it wasn't clear what I needed to do.

I currently have the recent beta installed, but that doesn't seem to work any more.

You get ARR for free and you can play until 9/9 I think. Need a new client though but you'd just log in with your 1.0 account.

OceanBlue

how are ranged class in this, mage/archers etc? Can you cast while moving?

only time i ever play range in mmos lol.

Archers are a lot of fun. They have a lot of skills that aren't bound by GCD so they're really mashy in a way. I'm low level though, so it might be different as the game gets harder. :p

I can understand the whole "a lot of archers suck in parties" thing. I don't play many MMOs and I had no idea running around was something I shouldn't be doing until I saw someone mention it in the FC. I still do it out of habit sometimes. D:

Tarazet

We were talking about this last night. Most of the achievements that grant titles seem to be very difficult or time consuming to obtain. I prefer having this sense of accomplishment over having everything handed to me on a platter with little effort at all.

I know, but you have battlecraft, tradecraft, and fieldcraft leves. Those all draw off the same allowance of 8 per day and they all have separate achievements which take 625 days each. Being a completionist is going to be effectively impossible.

Timeaisis

So about their constant character-creation locking updates. They do a follow-up every few hours with worlds you can't create characters in. Is that in addition to the one's they've previously announced?

I noticed in the most recent one Ultros, for example, is not listed, but in the last 2 it was. Is character creation still locked out there or not?

TheContact

I'm a little confused with the story quest and wondering if anyone can help, I started in Gridania. At lvl15 or so I got the airship quest and completed it, was called 'The Gridanian Envoy'. It had me fly out to the other cities to deliver things. I finished it and did some quests and got to level 20 and did my class quest. I can't find out where the next story quest begins, I've looked in all 3 cities, and even looked online. The level 20 quest says it's given by Rolfe Hawthorne at the Hawthorne hut but I'm talking to him and it's just casual conversation, he has no quests. Anyone know where I messed up? I do have a quest to do the Tam-Tara Deepcroft, is that considered part of the main quest?

Daellon

Neo Member
Archer can shoot while moving, which allows for easy circle kiting. Mages can't cast while moving (unless you're casting an insta-cast spell).
I found Archer to be pretty fun.

I've been leveling very casually--and very sporadically, considering all the login issues--over serveral different servers and classes and, so far, archer is the class I keep coming back to.

It's why I'm a bit disappointed in the speculation that all Archers will have to be Bards to be viable in end-game content.

Hopefully it doesn't play out that way.

gillty

Banned
Need help linking or figuring out these two different account things.

I redeemed the pre-order code for the Cait Sith and Moogle Cap on what I assume is this account:

but that doesn't show up on my 1.0 account that I use to log in to the game?

Are they two separate accounts or is there something else I need to do?
Two different sites, the first is SE's rewards site similar to Club Nintendo; the second is the legitimate FFXIV account page (MogStation) which handles all registration and billing for FFXI and FFXIV.

You need to take the code that the rewards site spit out and register it on MogStation.

I purchased FFXIV when it was originally released. I didn't subscribe for 90-days so i know I don't have legacy privileges.

I checked the FFXIV site but it wasn't clear what I needed to do.

Edit: typo
All previous owners can play until the 9th of September regardless of legacy status or not.

Client download is here: http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/

I'm a little confused with the story quest and wondering if anyone can help, I started in Gridania. At lvl15 or so I got the airship quest and completed it, was called 'The Gridanian Envoy'. It had me fly out to the other cities to deliver things. I finished it and did some quests and got to level 20 and did my class quest. I can't find out where the next story quest begins, I've looked in all 3 cities, and even looked online. The level 20 quest says it's given by Rolfe Hawthorne at the Hawthorne hut but I'm talking to him and it's just casual conversation, he has no quests. Anyone know where I messed up? I do have a quest to do the Tam-Tara Deepcroft, is that considered part of the main quest?
Yes Tam-Tara Deepcroft is part of the main quest, you'll do that then 2 more dungeons immediately after as part of the main quest.

Ferrio

Banned
I've been leveling very casually--and very sporadically, considering all the login issues--over serveral different servers and classes and, so far, archer is the class I keep coming back to.

It's why I'm a bit disappointed in the speculation that all Archers will have to be Bards to be viable in end-game content.

Hopefully it doesn't play out that way.

Wait.. is there even a downside to being a bard? Don't you just get access to extra skills?

Daellon

Neo Member
Archers are a lot of fun. They have a lot of skills that aren't bound by GCD so they're really mashy in a way. I'm low level though, so it might be different as the game gets harder. :p

I can understand the whole "a lot of archers suck in parties" thing. I don't play many MMOs and I had no idea running around was something I shouldn't be doing until I saw someone mention it in the FC. I still do it out of habit sometimes. D:

Why can't you be mobile and DPS as an archer? They jelly.

mileS

I logged onto the legacy server with my 38 pug. Is there a reason I don't have the CE bonus stuff? Aren't all 1.0 CE owners supposed to get it. Where do I get the mount and all that?

Tarazet

Yes, the dungeon is the next step in your main quest.

Daellon

Neo Member
Wait.. is there even a downside to being a bard? Don't you just get access to extra skills?

THEY LOOK SILLY.

Serious Response: I was under the impression your DPS went down and you moved to a buff/support role as a Bard.
And I read it on the internet so it must be true.

omlet

You do, but you are more restricted on what skills you can cross-class.

I know, but you have battlecraft, tradecraft, and fieldcraft leves. Those all draw off the same allowance of 8 per day and they all have separate achievements which take 625 days each. Being a completionist is going to be effectively impossible.

No, it's going to be effectively long-term. Yoshi is not hiding the fact they are hoping to get 10 years out of this game.

K.Sabot

Does the Arcanist story ever get past taking care of a probably mentally ill cat girl? She's sort of worn out her welcome with me.

CoLaN

I posted that earlier but it was at the end of the page.

I have a code for a standard digital edition (eu), and would love to trade it for a gamecard code with prepaid time, if anyone is interested.

hope32

Anyone know what to do if you lost your security token? I bought FFXIV when it first came out and cannot find my security token.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom